ns2_nothing Dev/Release Thread

Comments

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    The new version is now live on the Steam Workshop! :D

Enjoy and let me know your feedback.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220935709
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's a map overview:

GJBRKyh.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Change Log

- Removed res node from Miasma Walkway
    - Removed res node from Ventilation Chamber
    - Removed res node from Ominous
    - Removed Elevator shaft from Generator area
    - Removed passage from Communications into The Junction
    - Finished Viaduct Access South room
    - Added res node to Viaduct Access North
    - Added res node to Threshold
    - Added new route between Viaduct Access North and Silo Access South
    - Modified Transport (previously called generator)
    - Modified Ominous
    - Modified Communications which now goes directly into Viaduct access
    - Modified Cargo entry points
    - Modified Intimidation by moving it North to avoid long line of sight
    - Modified Viaduct South entry point
    - Modified Viaduct floor
    - Modified Viaduct vents into Red Room
    - Updated marine spawn points. Marines can’t spawn are Silo or Transport.
    - Updated Alien team spawn points. Aliens can’t spawn at Transport.
    - Updated occlusion geometry
    - Updated “CommanderInvisible” on several faces
    - Updated several props to be hidden from Commander View for improved visibility

Next build will feature

- Updated passage between Silo and s77 as the distance is too long
    - Update to Silo Access South to remove the long hallways
    - Points mentioned by @the_tick
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Map is looking really good!! We have put it on our clan server so if people want to try it out.

Server name is "DarkLegion.Net | TheOnosBar"
    108.33.72.181:27015
    Awesome, thanks @DefaultError‌

I've just published a new version with a few bug fixes:

New minor version published:

- Moved vents from the top of Viaduct
    - Moved vent in painted corridor that accessed S77
    - Updated pathing in communications
    - Updated pathing in Viaduct
    - Updated pathing in Threshold
    - Fixed light from Transport bleeding into Ominous
    - Fixed vent in Viaduct Access south because marines couldn’t fit through
    - Fixed occlusions in Intimidation and missing textures
    - Fixed vent in Painted Corridor which marines couldn’t access
    - Added another ship and crates into Transport
    - Added ladder into Threshold vent
    - Added a ladder into Cargo
  • KeegsKeegs WA Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197172Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kalopsia, now try and convince others not to change the map when it cycles to Nothing ;)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Keegs wrote: »
    Kalopsia, now try and convince others not to change the map when it cycles to Nothing ;)

Can you do it for all the other custom maps?
    @Keegs wrote: »
    @Pelargir‌

Ha! Sorry guys but I'm not a miracle worker ;)
    I would like to get feedback on the below revised layout.

Changes:

- Moved Transport closer to the middle of the map
    - Moved Silo and Foreboding to the right so they are closed to S77 tech point
    - Removed threshold passage because it was too easy for marines to deny aliens expanding between Viaduct and silo.

Thoughts?

18eQE3z.jpg
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I really need to take a look if I can later. For more feedbacks! :D
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    We played a looong 3v3 game on this last night and the only thing I'd had a problem with was silo, its cool to have the water effect but everyone was falling into it. I would recommend close it up with a grated floor. I do like the new layout you are showing above silo and foreboding did seem far way if you spawned in s77.

it was a fun map :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Bottom right prt still looks cramped
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Got the map running on my server, a full game has been played on it, but I haven't been there playing on it. A lot of major improvements on the bottom part. Maybe adding a RT node on miasma walkway (I believe)

Also, the vent from Cargo bay to the center of the map concerns me, I think it gives aliens easy access to that tech point, especially if they start from cargo bay foyer. You should ask yourself a question. How do I create that room in a way to make it challenging for both sides to control.

Maybe adding an under the floor vent acessible from just outside the room. That way aliens can counter it easily... Also, the techpoint should be accesable by arcs from outside the room to make it harder for aliens to hold. I would move the hive to either the bottom left corner of the room or the t[img][/img]op right, to make it easy to siege

nothing.png

The purple stuff should be vents and the red square is where I would put the hive.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    Oh shit, looks like we played th old version of this map on yesterday's SCC playtest. I see you removed the long ass narrow hallway between silo and silo access. New layout looks great. I have to take a closer look at it.

I don't know about the new version of the map, but I found that there were too many doors (that open and close automatically). They are loud, sometimes and too close from each other.

Other than that, I think it's a great map. I'm off to see the new version now, I'll let you know my feedback later today.

EDIT : arg, new layout is msileadinig, I thought there was a new version of the map, but that's not the case yet.
    We played a looong 3v3 game on this last night and the only thing I'd had a problem with was silo, its cool to have the water effect but everyone was falling into it. I would recommend close it up with a grated floor. I do like the new layout you are showing above silo and foreboding did seem far way if you spawned in s77. it was a fun map :D
    Totally agree with him. Silo's water is a bit annoying. Maybe close it with a transparent floor, like glass or I don't know (so we can still see the water).
    About the layout, it looks awesome. From what I can see, what I was complaining about (above) was removed or fixed. really looking forward to seeing this new layout ingame.

ps : is there cross spawn ? it's always good to have that on a map

• KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

ARCSPOTS
    - viaduct needs to be moved further away so arcs cannot hit from ominous.
    - one obs/arc can hit both cargo and via access south nodes
    - silo needs some vents so the arc spots (silo north) can be flanked

ARCHITECTURE
    - there are many hallways that don't have many ceiling/walls/crates to break LoS or ambush from (good/bad depending on what you want to accomplish with certain hallways)
    - silo water has a kill trigger? as a second level it could be interesting but just a plain killtrigger is really frustrating
    - doors trigger from too far away

LAYOUT
    - silo needs vents in general so it can't be blockaded so easily
    - seems like you want to have a marine friendly side of the map but spawns are currently random?
    - big long hallways right outside tech points (viaduct is a prime example) are probably too strong for marines to defend or attack from (can be used like biodome to create marine friendly side)
    Thanks for the feedback @DefaultError @F0rdPrefect @the_tick @MauvaisVitrier @Kaneh‌

I will be addressing the points mentioned.

Quick update on the layout below:

- I've moved Transport closer to the middle of the map.
    - Reworked Miasma
    - Reworked Ominous

sUuMvbm.jpg
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I had a game with this configuration :
    Marine @ Viaduc / Alien @ Cargo

I think the map isn't ready for that configuration.
    1 - Aggression from Marines is hard to counter as there are some long straight LOS from Viaduc to Cargo
    2 - Transport is an open area that allows to Arc from there the 2 natural RT of Cargo. And it's easy to access from Viaduc. You can even siege both RTs from only one spot.

Better make a configuration rule like this :
    Viaduc / S77 Vestibule
    Cargo / Silo

LOS: Wow... huge

Transport:
    Try to make Transport smaller. At least with 'Pathing', so ARCs can't reach the corners. Also Viaduc can be ARCed from Ominous Kismet. That means if the Marine team gets Transport it gets Viaduc and the 2 cargo RT along with it. Let's just say cargo falls soon after. Kind of strong stuff.

Cargo
    -Vent from cargo can be infiltrated from Junction by Marines.
    -Block the access to Transport completely. We always think we can go there (minimap).

Cargo is a little easy to ARC from Communication. Because of the straight LOS Aliens have to use the vents but the vents lead a little far behind. Difficult to use surprise on potent Marine players.

Silo
    If i were you :
    -I would add some grate props. There is no vent (that i know of) so alien as marines can fall into water easily. It may also be a "stuck" issue.
    -I would lower a little the ceiling. It would feel... more heavy. Also I'm thinking about the GL/JP issue.

Foreboding
    If you decide to keep a death spot on the ground of Foreboding you may want to signal this to the player. Gaz leaks would fit the bill. When you don't know; you try and it end up in a suicide...

Light set up
    IMO you have a lot of atmospherics which will be removed by everybody. Try to lower values. The gap is to big not to be noticed as a gameplay issue. Those who play with atmospherics and infestation at high detail (like me) will clearly be disadvantaged compared to players who remove/lower these options.

Then try to pump up light levels for what is close to the ground and keep the ceiling dark. Like "Viaduc Access South". I like the contrast (bottom/ceiling) in there (A skulk can ambush on the ceiling) but it's a little dark.

In fact the overall map is a little dark. Try not to use "extreme" values. Smooth things a little and it'll be fine.
    Ex : Public area like S77 vestibule should be a little brighter. People come here, etc... And in this case the use of "Ambient light" is recommended.

Little bug
    The PG end up on the ceiling. Probably a Pathing issue + commander invisible.
    cb0af4357bd550fc0cfff8e71ffa1e.jpg

fc1f43fb27a32e26c6215c710c6c05.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for the awesome feedback @UncleCrunch , will factor this into the next build.

Here are a few new screenshots of the modified rooms:

Viaduct access from Foreboding
    Zfj0IEc.jpg

Painted Corridor facing Foreboding
    ML38qvM.jpg

Miasma / Painted Corridor facing transport
    yz7pZHx.jpg

Exit from Transport into Ominous
    WYtJTKF.jpg

Layout so far:
    HnBNzx5.jpg
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice. Though that layout is starting to remind me of descent now. :)
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    edited October 2014
    our admin added some custom maps to the server rotation

we played ns2_nothing yesterday on my favorite server, those where a real nice public rounds.
    its so nice to change from the usual maps with common strategys.

thx for removing the locked vent betwen transportand cargo bay foyer, this one missled me and a lot of other ones including a commander who told something like "all attack transport and use this vents, it's a great shortcut".

silo as hive is such a fadekiller on public xD. the holes are in some spots and its hard to expect where.
    maby you can keep those holes but make it easier to oversee where they are, like in the old nothing.
    but i see you worked on this room so i'll see.

since its public and we'r not used to the map. the way it gets played will change a lot with time.

nice work, thumb up
    edited November 2014
    @Neoken - Good or bad thing? :)

Thanks for the feedback @logan3 . Could you show me a screenshot of what you mean here:
    logan3 wrote: »
    silo as hive is such a fadekiller on public xD. the holes are in some spots and its hard to expect where.
    maby you can keep those holes but make it easier to oversee where they are, like in the old nothing.

Latest layout below. I should be able to roll out the next update tomorrow for people to start playing. I just need to fix up Silo Access South with a vent and make it not as open.

CpAbqoS.jpg
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Without cheesy baserush vents, and a fixed marine spawn to balance the map around, it could be a good thing. :D
    Neoken wrote: »
    Without cheesy baserush vents, and a fixed marine spawn to balance the map around, it could be a good thing. :D

I removed marines from starting at Viaduct but left them on Command (S77) and Cargo.

yeah will block up that vent in command.

• MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Kalopsia : just my two cents. I see that you kept the long ass corridor in Ventilation Chambers. It's kind of annoying to run through that. Did you receive any feedback on that issue ?
    @MauvaisVitrier - I haven't touched that side of the map in this update. However the next update I want to fix up the rooms between Cargo to Docking by making them taller and turning the hallways into rooms.... Similar to what I've done in painted corridor and Miasma this time around.
    edited November 2014
    Ok map has been updated on Steam Workshop.

Layout:

YPZkb9J.jpg

Changes include:

- Reworked Silo Access North room
    - Reworked Silo Access South room
    - Reworked Painted Corridor room
    - Reworked Miasma room
    - Reworked Ominous room
    - Added pipe from Silo water so Onos and Gorge can exit the water
    - Added vents from Silo leading out into both Access North and South
    - Added rails into Foreboding
    - Changed entry to Silo from the south to reduce line of sight
    - Changed location names to make them easier to pronounce
    - Removed Viaduct as a possible Marine start
    - Removed Intimidation room
    - Removed insta kill from Silo water
    - Removed vent from Cargo to Transport
    - Removed vent from Painted Corridor into Command
    - Removed lower vent in Viaduct Access South

Next update list:

- Fix Viaduct South Access (cyst issue with tunnel model) FIXED
    - Rework rooms between Docking Wing and Cargo to make them higher and wider
    - Look at reworking Viaduct Access North entry into Viaduct to reduce line of sight
    - Pathing in Silo Access South conflicts with Gorge Tunnels below catwalk
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Silo definitely not a place to install a marine base.
    fdac03ac1c69394af5f5c8074ad918.jpg
    Silo definitely not a place to install a marine base.
    fdac03ac1c69394af5f5c8074ad918.jpg

As much as I wanted to leave it like that to go with the original design.....it's time I block those sections off or lower the roof.

A Gorge could easily go to town up there.
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    sry for beeing late, you removed instakill from silo so my suggestion is no longer actual. i think it was a good idea
    i explored the wather a little dho and this vent next silo is to small for a skulk right now:
    exo4c7KQj