Rookie Free Servers

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah. TG servers almost always have an admin present as well as tons of respectful regulars. Maybe that's why it works there. Anyway... it's always an option to try.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    might have to try that again, the whole, reserved slot system really left a bad taste in my mouth when i first started the game, and as a result i've never actually played a full game there. I learned to avoid clicking on TG server, because i never new if i would be able to join or finish a game or not. :) might be time to try them out again.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Spectating is a tricky thing-

--if you say 20 players + 4 spectators, then what happens on a map change? Is it a race to join and the last 4 to load get screwed(haha you don't have an SSD)? Alternatively if you join a game only to find out after 2-4 minutes of loading that you don't actually get to play...

-- if you say "max 4 spectators" then when 4 players rage and spectate they prevent new blood from taking their place...

Spectating has the potential to help people learn the game, but it also can be abused intentionally or unintentionally very easily.

Is venture to say that 85% of green players have spent <5 minutes looking at tutorials let alone spectating. In my experience 75% of spectators are players who have given up on the current round and 24% are players who think someone is cheating. If you think it's GG then surrender, leave, or keep playing/practicing, don't unbalance the team further by forcing them to play a player down. If you think someone is cheating let an admin deal with it, because no matter what you see or how obvious you think it is you still can't ban.

i'm suggesting that you have 24 slots, and only 20 of those can join teams, last 4 don't get to play. i don't know, its worked in other games, but those were pretty tight servers/communities with almost constant admin presence, to kick afkers if it got too full. might not work here, meh.

When you have so many people trying to join a server to play, and you have others sitting in a spectators chair wasting a slot, so as to "eat, drink, and be merry" as one stated; is the reason we disabled them. People want to get in and play the game. Spectator slots take away a slot for them to join and play. We can only serve 192 players. If 250 players want to join, and 30 are taking up in spectator chairs, those who want to get in and play a game, are not able to do so.

@amoral has nailed why we disabled them.

There is another reason we have them disabled. To many people whine about team stacking, aim botting, and general cheating. Their first thing is to hop into spectator mode. Then another joins, and another, and before you know it, 3 or more people have left a team to "observe" causing game imbalance. Therefore, it's turned off. If other server owners want to do it, why would I mind.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    @Amoral
    Yeah, I used to be like that as well. They basically enjoy having mostly regulars playing. They want everyone to go to their website and read the few server rules and sign a primer. (takes like 5 min) By doing so you get a semi reserve slot which protects you from getting bumped. (Paying supporters and admins can still bump primer signers.) Ever since I did that, I haven't been bumped out of the server. IMO its worth it.

I just enjoy playing there since they actually focus on playing the objectives rather than the 24p roaming-cattle frag fests you find elsewhere. the overall skill level seems higher there as well... in a pubbing sense. It's just really a nice atmosphere.

Other servers that are occasionally enjoyable are Diamonds, LckyFckrs, and Gib's Gorge server when Gibs isn't spamming the mic with random sht. lol
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014

Thank you.
    current1y wrote: »
    King plz read so we don't confuse the ~60 % non english speakers - http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/ban.html

Back on topic...

@current1y Please keep in mind, you are displaying a level of disrespect of forum moderators by piggy backing on joshhh's trolling messages. You're only doing this to cause trouble. Please have respect for others. You're displaying a contempt for others,, and showing yourself to be a troll. I have seen it privately, now you're showing it publically here. Do you not have any respect for IronHorse and his request?

I edited my post right after posting it realizing it prob would just cause trouble. I pmed it to you instead so that was my mistake.

And the only thing you have seen from me in public or private is disgust from being banned for reasons you make up to make yourself look better. I was banned on 1/12/14 for "liking" posts that spoke negatively about your servers back in August of 2013. If you want to do that its fine but don't make up things about me trolling your servers or being disrespectful to admins. You claim my recent posts prove i am the troll but how do you expect me to act towards you now? I've played actively in your server for a long long time now and have had zero issues from any admin or player at any time. When you have a "ban complaint" forum and don't even answer the person you banned honestly then come here and lie about it AFTER telling ironhorse the real reason you banned me. It shows a massive amount of disrespect and dishonesty.

Don't ask for respect if you give none yourself.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Thank you.
    King plz read so we don't confuse the ~60 % non english speakers - http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/ban.html

Back on topic...

@current1y Please keep in mind, you are displaying a level of disrespect of forum moderators by piggy backing on joshhh's trolling messages. You're only doing this to cause trouble. Please have respect for others. You're displaying a contempt for others,, and showing yourself to be a troll. I have seen it privately, now you're showing it publically here. Do you not have any respect for IronHorse and his request?

I edited my post right after posting it realizing it prob would just cause trouble. I pmed it to you instead so that was my mistake.

And the only thing you have seen from me in public or private is disgust from being banned for reasons you make up to make yourself look better. I was banned on 1/12/14 for "liking" posts that spoke negatively about your servers back in August of 2013. If you want to do that its fine but don't make up things about me trolling your servers or being disrespectful to admins. You claim my recent posts prove i am the troll but how do you expect me to act towards you now? I've played actively in your server for a long long time now and have had zero issues from any admin or player at any time. When you have a "ban complaint" forum and don't even answer the person you banned honestly then come here and lie about it AFTER telling ironhorse the real reason you banned me. It shows a massive amount of disrespect and dishonesty.

Don't ask for respect if you give none yourself.

May I ask please, What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Hasn't IronHorse requested that people stop hijacking topics, specifically this on? Why do you continue acting in a disgraceful manner? Forget me for a min. Please. You have displayed a disgraceful behavior for a UWE moderator attempting to prevent this type of issue. So, please answer my question. How would this comment support the topic of discussion at hand?
    edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    @Amoral
    Yeah, I used to be like that as well. They basically enjoy having mostly regulars playing. They want everyone to go to their website and read the few server rules and sign a primer. (takes like 5 min) By doing so you get a semi reserve slot which protects you from getting bumped. (Paying supporters and admins can still bump primer signers.) Ever since I did that, I haven't been bumped out of the server. IMO its worth it.

I just enjoy playing there since they actually focus on playing the objectives rather than the 24p roaming-cattle frag fests you find elsewhere. the overall skill level seems higher there as well... in a pubbing sense. It's just really a nice atmosphere.

Other servers that are occasionally enjoyable are Diamonds, LckyFckrs, and Gib's Gorge server when Gibs isn't spamming the mic with random sht. lol

god, got kicked by one of gib's admins after our comm demanded a second shotgun rush in a row, i started to hammer the resources needed key near a node that he refused to drop, and we started an eject vote... they are not going to be my goto server anytime soon.

And yeah, the whole uncertainty about connecting or not initially, just trained me to avoid clicking anything with Tactical in the title now... :) but yeah, that'd probably be good, now that DFA no longer seems to be consistently up.

lcky is nice enough, though i'm never quite sure if they're doing something funny mod-wise,

and diamonds is fine, except for the performance issues at their player max. had a good one on DFA last night, that was entertaining. they used to do captains games :)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    It does not address the original topic at all and whether you believe it or not I never intended things to be taken this far. I honestly think adding a rookie only server is a good thing. Rookies have a hard time at picking up and staying with the game since they aren't segregated at all. At the same time you cant slander my character in public with lies about my server behavior and expect to hide behind an admin saying stay on topic? Please.

You can PM me saying my association with joshhy and rapgod (what!?) damages my reputation and that's fine. I just wish you could actually see how you damage yours by treating others the way you do. Hopefully one day the blinders come off...Except I doubt it

Good luck with the servers.
    It does not address the original topic at all and whether you believe it or not I never intended things to be taken this far. Good luck with the servers.

Keep in mind, no one is forcing you to continue this disgraceful behavior. Only you sir are responsible. Either you are in control, or you're out of control. This is a demonstration of one of those two things.

You know how to reach me. In in the end, it's always your choice. Keep that in mind. I'm an awesome listener, don't mistake that for, I'm an awesome follower, because I'm not. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing and still being friends with someone. However, to claim others are wrong because of said disagreements, displace a character flaw found in way to many humans. Just sayn'.

Thank you for your remarks.
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Is it jealousy/envy why you want to always troll me? This messages and others you write seem to indicate that's the reason.

My guess would be your (deliberate?) ignorance and self-adulation.

Two examples are right here in this thread:

1)
    The argument over player counts with balance, and other things is just noise really. It's very clear, and simple to see; MOST players prefer 24 player servers. That's just the facts. No "opinions", No "I think", or "I feel", it's just easy to observe facts. Feel free to do with them as you wish.
    i think you misunderstood my post. i was responding to a question, and without context the response changed qualitatively. i think most veteran players prefer 16-20 range for pubbing. i think most newer players prefer 20-24. i think this has to do with the relative stress and responsibility of having a larger role in the outcome of a game in smaller games. If you interpreted me as saying that most players in general prefer middling servers, i wasn't, and sorry for the ambiguity.

i think most veteran players prefer 16-20 and don't particularly mind 20-24, whereas most newer players, and by new i mean less than 200 hours ie) still learning the ropes, are more comfortable in 20-24. So as one group likes large servers, and the other group doesn't mind it, larger servers win in popularity. Incidentally, small servers aren't even a factor because they're too susceptible to fluctuations in player count.

To add up on his point, there is large portion of players who has no choice other than playing on large servers. Not because lower slot servers are not popular, but because they are either full or not populated. There is a higher chance of getting a slot on a 24 slot server than on a 18 slot server. Especially if you want to join with your friends.

Also new players are not aware that this game is not made for 12vs12, and due to the fact that the usual mentality is "the more the better" they are more likely to join them. Some will enjoy it, and the rest of them uninstalls the game because of how laggy, unbalanced and unfun it is.
    So I'd like to thank you for your effort putting up those 24 slot rookie servers.

2)
    If you were actually nice to people, they would want to play there. Messages like this one, and one that was edited yesterday are just two examples why they might not want to visit in your house. Have you ever considered that may be part of the problem?

Maybe I should put up more servers, so the player base has a place to play without being trolled. I did operate 30 during the NS1 days, and I can do it again if necessary.

Not only are our servers EU based, and hence we do not give a shit about how many servers you put up, we're also constantly getting positive feedback.
    Decent servers such as YO and HBZ already deal with rookies through natural selection <- haha PUN
    king_yo wrote: »
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Don't tell me, there are no servers with a higher skill level. I know there are.
    No. There are not. The best server is HBZ and the level is far from great. Even if it were really good, it's always full.
    Some servers have no real community. You find idiots there more often. Play on the right servers (like HBZ for Europe) and you will have a much better experience.
    HBZ ftw tho, steady quality games, always an admin around (omg para get a life). I'm not sure if it was Yoclan but that server seems hyper aggressive sometimes.
    GORGEous wrote: »
    For pubbing, stick to the clan servers.

Yoclan and HBZ for the euro during primetime.. sometimes the french servers during off-euro hours.
    Neoken wrote: »
    HBZ and YOClan are pretty good.
    Okxyd wrote: »
    Rosbeef vs froggies quarrels are ordinary btw (but always less than frenchies vs frenchies ;) ), that´s why HBZ seems to be a peaceful server.

First 4 pages searching 'HBZ'.
    I don't want to brag about how awesome our servers are (they are), I just want to point out that you are terribly ignorant.

When I searched for 'KKG' about 80% of the posts contained the words "banned" or "redirect". In two years of being an admin, I only banned one guy (for being a racist douche and fake nicking).

But yeah, go on and put up your 30 servers. Claim the whole americam community. I bet they will be very thankful to play exclusively on 24 slot servers and to be able to donate in order to not get stuck in redirection hell.

Thanks for your remarks. I don't agree with anything you said, but I respect the fact you have a right to say it. No need to call me names, or attack me however.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    @Bicsum Lets get our EU admins campfire up and watch these US ppl fighting themself to death :D

Never really got what's going on there at the other side of the big ocean. :-??
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doesn't it discuss the how these kind of servers are admined on these rookie free servers from the topic?
    james888 wrote: »
    Doesn't it discuss the how these kind of servers are admined on these rookie free servers from the topic?

Indeed it does.
    edited January 2014
    @Bicsum Lets get our EU admins campfire up and watch these US ppl fighting themself to death :D

ahem, it's the pond you w!$ker.

*i've never been censored for using another culture's vulgar language... cool.*
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    Is it jealousy/envy why you want to always troll me? This messages and others you write seem to indicate that's the reason.

My guess would be your (deliberate?) ignorance and self-adulation.

Two examples are right here in this thread:

1)
    The argument over player counts with balance, and other things is just noise really. It's very clear, and simple to see; MOST players prefer 24 player servers. That's just the facts. No "opinions", No "I think", or "I feel", it's just easy to observe facts. Feel free to do with them as you wish.
    i think you misunderstood my post. i was responding to a question, and without context the response changed qualitatively. i think most veteran players prefer 16-20 range for pubbing. i think most newer players prefer 20-24. i think this has to do with the relative stress and responsibility of having a larger role in the outcome of a game in smaller games. If you interpreted me as saying that most players in general prefer middling servers, i wasn't, and sorry for the ambiguity.

i think most veteran players prefer 16-20 and don't particularly mind 20-24, whereas most newer players, and by new i mean less than 200 hours ie) still learning the ropes, are more comfortable in 20-24. So as one group likes large servers, and the other group doesn't mind it, larger servers win in popularity. Incidentally, small servers aren't even a factor because they're too susceptible to fluctuations in player count.

To add up on his point, there is large portion of players who has no choice other than playing on large servers. Not because lower slot servers are not popular, but because they are either full or not populated. There is a higher chance of getting a slot on a 24 slot server than on a 18 slot server. Especially if you want to join with your friends.

Also new players are not aware that this game is not made for 12vs12, and due to the fact that the usual mentality is "the more the better" they are more likely to join them. Some will enjoy it, and the rest of them uninstalls the game because of how laggy, unbalanced and unfun it is.
    So I'd like to thank you for your effort putting up those 24 slot rookie servers.

2)
    If you were actually nice to people, they would want to play there. Messages like this one, and one that was edited yesterday are just two examples why they might not want to visit in your house. Have you ever considered that may be part of the problem?

Maybe I should put up more servers, so the player base has a place to play without being trolled. I did operate 30 during the NS1 days, and I can do it again if necessary.

Not only are our servers EU based, and hence we do not give a shit about how many servers you put up, we're also constantly getting positive feedback.
    Decent servers such as YO and HBZ already deal with rookies through natural selection <- haha PUN
    king_yo wrote: »
    Don't tell me, there are no servers with a higher skill level. I know there are.
    No. There are not. The best server is HBZ and the level is far from great. Even if it were really good, it's always full.
    Some servers have no real community. You find idiots there more often. Play on the right servers (like HBZ for Europe) and you will have a much better experience.
    HBZ ftw tho, steady quality games, always an admin around (omg para get a life). I'm not sure if it was Yoclan but that server seems hyper aggressive sometimes.
    GORGEous wrote: »
    For pubbing, stick to the clan servers.

Yoclan and HBZ for the euro during primetime.. sometimes the french servers during off-euro hours.
    Neoken wrote: »
    HBZ and YOClan are pretty good.
    Okxyd wrote: »
    Rosbeef vs froggies quarrels are ordinary btw (but always less than frenchies vs frenchies ;) ), that´s why HBZ seems to be a peaceful server.

First 4 pages searching 'HBZ'.
    I don't want to brag about how awesome our servers are (they are), I just want to point out that you are terribly ignorant.

When I searched for 'KKG' about 80% of the posts contained the words "banned" or "redirect". In two years of being an admin, I only banned one guy (for being a racist douche and fake nicking).

But yeah, go on and put up your 30 servers. Claim the whole americam community. I bet they will be very thankful to play exclusively on 24 slot servers and to be able to donate in order to not get stuck in redirection hell.

Thanks for your remarks. I don't agree with anything you said, but I respect the fact you have a right to say it. No need to call me names, or attack me however.

Thank you too for your disagreement. Anything else would have been a contradiction to what I wrote.

You are probably right, it's a lost cause anyway.
    edited January 2014

You are probably right, it's a lost cause anyway.

what game are we playing? that's right... IT ONLY MAKES US STRONGER. when there's only one server left, we're coming for you lily-livered lackwits.
    edited January 2014
    @Bicsum I can see whats next....the US getting the blame for no default on FF in ns2...=/
    @Bicsum I can see whats next....the US getting the blame for no default on FF in ns2...=/

i blame the developers for no default on FF in NS2.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holy hell this thread is reaching massive levels of stupidity.
    CyberKun wrote: »

i'm inclined to believe it may have started not far off that mark either :)
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The idea of rookie only servers are fine. Whatever issues people have/had with KKG, this is not the place.
    The idea of rookie only servers are fine. Whatever issues people have/had with KKG, this is not the place.

you could spin that it is the perfect place, as it was kahuna who started the thread in specific to discuss KKG starting the servers. Also, it's rookie-free, not rookie-only.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    There is a rookie-only and a couple rookie-free.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members

May I ask please, What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Hasn't IronHorse requested that people stop hijacking topics, specifically this on? Why do you continue acting in a disgraceful manner? Forget me for a min. Please. You have displayed a disgraceful behavior for a UWE moderator attempting to prevent this type of issue. So, please answer my question. How would this comment support the topic of discussion at hand?

I just want to really quickly say that it is defamation of character to claim that currently conducted himself badly on your server when the real reason might be something else. I think he has every reason to take issue with that if you publicly announce it here.
    Also, it's rookie-free, not rookie-only.

I used the wrong word. Also, I don't know what massive TL:DR has to deal with grammar.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    King has the right to run the servers he pays for the way he wants.
    If he said "you can only play naked" that's his choice, don't like it? Plenty of other non-naked servers out there.
    Got banned because someone said you had clothes on and you find out that someone else was playing with clothes on? Are you gonna complain and make a flamefest out of it?!

No. You build a bridge and get over it.

On that note, I like the idea of rookie-free and rookie-only. The past couple days on the rookie-free have been considerably less rage intensive. And the experienced players all stacking one team isn't such a problem because there are more of them
    @dePARA Thanks so much for the suggestion, we opened an 8th server today. It's Rookie Only. So now we have 2 Rookie Only servers, 3 Rookie Free servers, and 3 Rookie Friendly servers.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    I am disappointed.
    joshhh wrote: »
    We haven't heard your opinion yet.
    He already gave it to softpa - and more importantly:
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Comments and suggestions about playercounts etc are fine, since they are contributions regarding the subject matter from the community, regarding the community. But please do not attempt to derail the discussion like its a personal AMA... that's what private messages are for.

To the users who continued to derail this thread, (those I warned, jailed, or did neither to) i will not delete or edit your posts.. but you have received your last warnings on the matter. (this is your 2nd, for those keeping track)
    i'm inclined to believe it may have started not far off that mark either :)
    It really didn't..
    It was just one user who was giving a public announcement of multiple servers being opened, that they paid for. Servers that serve to grow our playerbase.
    But some users took this as an opportunity to vent their past grievances with the community hosting it and bombard it with slander, personal inquiries, and name calling.

And you cannot tell me said users were doing so to provide a warning to other users, when we have those very same known members are vouching for the quality of them as of late:
    I've played actively in your server for a long long time now and have had zero issues from any admin or player at any time.

Please don't make me close this thread because a few of you just can't be the bigger person.