Rookie Free Servers

KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
We have just implemented rookie free status on hives 1-3. Unless you have logged enough time on TheHive, you can't join a team. Hives 4-7, rookies can join, but can't command. There, they can earn hours on the Hive ranking system.

So, if you're looking for Rookie Free, we're the place to play.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Maybe create one rookie only(low elo, max 100h playtime) server, to balance things ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Where are the servers based?
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe create one rookie only(low elo, max 100h playtime) server, to balance things ;)

We have 4 servers dedicated to rookie friendly game play. Rookies only need 10hrs of game play to join hives 1-3, or command on hives 4-7.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Where are the servers based?

Chicago, directly in middle of the lower 48.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    BTW update of plugin incoming, it's now ns2stats/hive based playtime.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    20 players server? =D
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    RisingSun wrote: »
    20 players server? =D

24 player count on all 7 servers.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    the ns2 community should be frendly to its rookies as they decide the future of the game
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited January 2014
    the ns2 community should be frendly to its rookies as they decide the future of the game
    We are, we protect them from getting stombed by vets in their first rounds by blocking them of those servers.

Imho every server network should offer at least one rookie only server beside the normal servers, where rookies can make their first steps with each other and discover the game like we vets did.

But that's up to every server admin himself.

edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    A server mod really won't stop rookies from getting stomped. The only server that really does it right is the Noobs Only Server (DFA runs it iirc.) They have someone with admin privileges in the server constantly monitoring the games. It's a pain in the ass way to run a server, but from what I have seen, it provides the best experience rookies can possibly get in the community.

Not well known but look at this: https://github.com/BrightPaul/NS2Stats.com/wiki/EloTeamRestriction

Set MaxElo to 1600 and MaxPlaytime to 1200 (20*60) and you're done.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Lol... I understand how the mod works. That wasn't my point.

NS2 Stats only pulls info from a set number of servers. So yes, in theory your mod works if every person only played on servers with Shine/NS2stats mod... but they don't. Like I said, if you really want a rookie friendly environment, you have to babysit the server 24/7.
    We are, we protect them from getting stombed by vets in their first rounds by blocking them of those servers.

Not really adding this mod for that reason. Although, it's a benefit, if the server admins run their servers properly.

In fact, servers without active admins to quell pub-stomping (as is a habit by some of the pro-players), nothing will prevent the above mentioned problem. Furthermore, this is the main reason for us adding this mod to our servers. It gives the more experienced players, and the pro-players (and we have a lot that play here) a place to actually enjoy competitive public play, without the risk of running off new players. That's the reason for adding this mod in a nut shell.
    Imho every server network should offer at least one rookie only server beside the normal servers, where rookies can make their first steps with each other and discover the game like we vets did.

But that's up to every server admin himself.

This is an excellent idea, but 99.9% of the server administrators only run 1 server. I like your suggestion, and will consider making 1 of my 7 servers rookie friendly; for the exact reason you mentioned.

Lol... I understand how the mod works. That wasn't my point.

NS2 Stats only pulls info from a set number of servers. So yes, in theory your mod works if every person only played on servers with Shine/NS2stats mod... but they don't. Like I said, if you really want a rookie friendly environment, you have to babysit the server 24/7.

This, I can agree with completely. However, when done, people whine, complain, cry, and call the server admins names. Those are the risks. I personally don't mind the risks, and try my best to do a good job at your recommendation. Excellent comment, btw.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    james888 wrote: »
    I like that you are doing this. I really feel it is needed. I do dislike the 24p though. Maybe more experience players would like 20p servers more?

I remember national gaming doing this except they used I think a 18 pop server. In the end the issue boils down to limiting the chances your server will die when 3-5 people leave at the end of a round. It was always harder keeping servers full the lower you got with the pop.
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    24 players makes for an extremely chaotic game. I've heard reasons for and against large server sizes, but I'm not fully aware yet of my stance on the issue. I do know that I personally prefer 20 or fewer players maximum for a server, so I'll count myself as an agree with @james888.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    I honestly like 16-18p but despise anything more than 20p. 20p seems to be a good compromise between fun and server death. I am so glad people agree as I have been looking for a good non rookie server with low population.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    current1y wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »
    I like that you are doing this. I really feel it is needed. I do dislike the 24p though. Maybe more experience players would like 20p servers more?

I remember national gaming doing this except they used I think a 18 pop server. In the end the issue boils down to limiting the chances your server will die when 3-5 people leave at the end of a round. It was always harder keeping servers full the lower you got with the pop.

While what you say is true, it is still possible to have a 18 slot server populated until late at night. I think KKG is popular enough to do it.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    A server mod really won't stop rookies from getting stomped. The only server that really does it right is the Noobs Only Server (DFA runs it iirc.) They have someone with admin privileges in the server constantly monitoring the games. It's a pain in the ass way to run a server, but from what I have seen, it provides the best experience rookies can possibly get in the community.

I'd like to note that this server shut down a few weeks ago, I have since then opened 2 servers called ISEGaming Noobs Only (< 100 Hours) with my team of 6 Admins. We will continue to try our best to keep abusive vet's out, but allowing vets to command or spectate.

We check their steam, and if it is private or unavailable then we check the Hive, which in itself isn't totally reliable.

However, no mod can protect rookies against the following.

Pro players with Smurf accounts (Easy when the sales are so cheap, yes people do this sadly)
    People who are under 100 hours, but are rampaging consistently.

My admins and I watch people's player patterns when these situations arise and ask them to command or spectate with plenty of warning both through text and voice.
    Unsurprisingly the majority of these people ignore our warnings and somehow ignore the name of the server and are kicked to get their attention, should they return without desire to follow the rules, they will be banned.

This takes a lot of work, but I do want to encourage that vets come and help out only in a commander's role, or spectating and providing tips. Game's are very fun for everyone if 2 experienced commanders put the rookies first and face off against one another.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

I'd like to note that this server shut down a few weeks ago, I have since then opened 2 servers called ISEGaming Noobs Only (< 100 Hours) with my team of 6 Admins. We will continue to try our best to keep abusive vet's out, but allowing vets to command or spectate.

We check their steam, and if it is private or unavailable then we check the Hive, which in itself isn't totally reliable.

However, no mod can protect rookies against the following.

Pro players with Smurf accounts (Easy when the sales are so cheap, yes people do this sadly)
    People who are under 100 hours, but are rampaging consistently.

My admins and I watch people's player patterns when these situations arise and ask them to command or spectate with plenty of warning both through text and voice.
    Unsurprisingly the majority of these people ignore our warnings and somehow ignore the name of the server and are kicked to get their attention, should they return without desire to follow the rules, they will be banned.

This takes a lot of work, but I do want to encourage that vets come and help out only in a commander's role, or spectating and providing tips. Game's are very fun for everyone if 2 experienced commanders put the rookies first and face off against one another.

the only thing i have to say is... sentry first is an incredibly viable strategy. i've gone 62-0 as commander during one of the old steam sales...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Glad to see someone picked up where DFA left off ISE. Hopefully you guys can keep those servers running.

Kudos to you sir.
    edited January 2014
    Just wanted to say the mod i posted was not to replace the admins or moderators of a noobs only server, it just aims to make their life easier by filtering all obvious vets out (using ns2stats datas).

And if someone wants to avoid to be blocked he can mange to do this. (smurf account / loosing rounds etc.)

@It'sSuperEffective! : You might want to test it ;)

Not well known but look at this: https://github.com/BrightPaul/NS2Stats.com/wiki/EloTeamRestriction

Set MaxElo to 1600 and MaxPlaytime to 1200 (20*60) and you're done.

Hive 4 is Rookie Only server. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Roobubba wrote: »
    RisingSun wrote: »
    20 players server? =D

24 player count on all 7 servers.

Big shame.

Sorry you feel that way. We have tried 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 player server counts before. In fact, for 6 months (at least) we did this. The lower count servers are not played as often, die quickly, and people asking for 24 player servers being added. When you have 175 people playing each min. of the day on your servers making a request to change, you listen.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do wonder how many of us veteran pubbers who prefer 20p or less out there exist?
    Looks like my topic has been hijacked. This topic is not about server player count. It's about Rookie Free/Rookie Only server(s) being offered as an alternative of pro players pub-stomping, and pro-stacking teams.

I will address the player count issue this one last time. Feel free to take it or leave it, makes no difference really.

@amoral writes, "I think most prefer numbers middling, 16 to 20... and as newer player like big servers and older players like middling to smaller servers, big servers win."

There is obvious contradiction here. Either most people like middling number servers, or they don't. Either newer players like big servers, or they don't. All that's hookie pookie fairy dust, really. How does one get to the correct answer? Easy. They look at the trend of the actual players themselves. Just as an example please: @amoral joined these forums 1/3/13, using his logic, he would be a newer player; as many of us have been around for much longer. In my case, 10 years, almost 11 years. During the NS1 days, we ran 30 game servers, all full, all day long, 24hrs a day. Every single one 24 players. You do the math. Currently, we have 7 NS2 servers running. We keep 7 servers full almost all day long. You do the math. At any given point in time during the USA playing day, we server about 40% of the player base. That's just us though. Take a look at the other servers running that are full. They all run 24 player count servers. If you total up the servers being offered that are less than 24 players, they are a very small handful. They are either empty, 1/2 full, and they come and they go.

The argument over player counts with balance, and other things is just noise really. It's very clear, and simple to see; MOST players prefer 24 player servers. That's just the facts. No "opinions", No "I think", or "I feel", it's just easy to observe facts. Feel free to do with them as you wish.

@james888 writes, "I do wonder how many of us veteran pubbers who prefer 20p or less out there exist?"

I hope I was able to answer your question.

I'm done with player count discussions. Can we please get back to what this topic was about, Rookie Only/Rookie Free servers.

@ItsSuperEffective! "Pro players with Smurf accounts (Easy when the sales are so cheap, yes people do this sadly)
    People who are under 100 hours, but are rampaging consistently."

Agreed with your remarks. It's sad. It's shameful actually. I do appreciate you for bringing that point up. This is the exact reason we have moved towards this direction with our server choices. It's these same people who are always trolling, name calling, and when server owners ban them, kick them, they come here crying when they are removed from someone's server(s). Furthermore, it's shameful that other "pro-players" support and condone their behavior, as __________________. But, you sir have nailed it totally. Thank you for your comment.

@Quendrastorm writes "the ns2 community should be friendly to its rookies as they decide the future of the game"

I couldn't agree more. This is the reason we have the ONLY Rookie Only server being offered in the USA.

Thanks,
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks like my topic has been hijacked. This topic is not about server player count. It's about Rookie Free/Rookie Only server(s) being offered as an alternative of pro players pub-stomping, and pro-stacking teams.

Does this mean I am not banned from your rookie free servers? X_X
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    There are quite a few valid reasons to use alt accounts, however I wouldn't really expect you to understand... I suggest if you wish to actually be meaningful in your discussion, that you don't attempt to blame 'pro' players for the problem, that horse has been beaten to death probably more than most.