The "What I want to see" thread!

Comments

• M0RTM0RT Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177140Members
    As much as I love the Natural Selection series, I'm super excited to see UWE expand to other genres/IP.

Multiplayer is an absolute must. One of the best parts of NS1 & NS2 was the teamwork aspect. I would love to see this continued. Perhaps have 1 (or multiple) players controlling a large submarine as a base which supports the individual divers who are scattered around the area. I imagine the submarine would be able to provide upgrades or temporary "buffs", help harvest or build with mechanical arms (as others have pointed out in previous posts), and most importantly, the submarine could defend against hostile creatures (pve) or other submarines (pvp).

Have change in currents and temperatures depending on area, weather, climate, depth, etc. I would envision certain areas closer to the surface to be prone to weather effects and such. If this game takes place on another world, then perhaps the need to be underwater is because there is insufficient atmosphere to protect against radiation. Therefore, all gameplay is required to be underwater. This radiation could also come into play in shallow areas. Some areas might have extremely strong currents which could prevent certain things from being built, or currents could be used to fast travel between areas.

I would also like to see this game be focused on some type of combat. The last thing the current UWE fanbase wants is to play some peaceful exploration game where you swim around and look at pretty fish. So unless you're going to market this to my daughter, make the player's ultimate goal to kill shit, or at least defend against some badass sea monster trying to kill me. Building/exploration should be only to help me get stronger so I can fight better.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    M0RT wrote: »
    I would also like to see this game be focused on some type of combat. The last thing the current UWE fanbase wants is to play some peaceful exploration game where you swim around and look at pretty fish. So unless you're going to market this to my daughter, make the player's ultimate goal to kill shit, or at least defend against some badass sea monster trying to kill me. Building/exploration should be only to help me get stronger so I can fight better.

Dude, just let me chill in my submarine while I watch the gorgeous graphics and the fish swim by...
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    If the game is multiplayer coop (or PvP) with combat I'll be interested. If it's single player and/or doesn't have combat I don't see myself buying it.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013

Dude, just let me chill in my submarine while I watch the gorgeous graphics and the fish swim by... away from you...

I fixed that for you.

Remember, we are in the next generation now.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Namm wrote: »
    Nazo wrote: »
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I wanna see Kharaa creatures when they were not assimilated by the Bacterium, since lore/art direction stated that many of them resembled underwater creatures.
    I think the "lore" or art-book said the Kharaa Structures were influnced by underwater fauna/plants ect

The Kharaa creatures were inspired/mutated land animals
    What, Oni aren't excellent swimmers?

No, but it would really be a waste if the game isn't set in the same universe as NS2... Hints here and there at least. It would go a long way to make the game less generic.

The structures were inspired by sea stuff, the Kharaa were inspired by the land before time movies (if I'm correct)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    As a way to reuse the environment, I was thinking that there would be a myriad of invisible species (at least initially) of flora and fauna throughout the entire ecosystem. As you gradually get tech to see some of these species, those areas that you revisit are completely changed. Some areas that were curiously devoid of life are now teeming with strange plants and exotic animals.

P.S. To allude that these species are present before you have the tech, curious visual anomalies and a few decaying bodies of these would periodically show up early on.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
  • smitty5569smitty5569 Join Date: 2013-03-12 Member: 183908Members
    It's hard to make any serious suggestions when we hardly know anything about the game. We basically know that it's an underwater exploration game with submarines scuba diving and the ability to construct stuff - we don't even know what.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Since "roleplay" was mentioned. An underwater "Star wars Cantina-like" Bar and other underwater cities/colonies.
    Also, maybe some random world events. If this project eventually goes for multiplayer/co-op.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Starbound seems to be the latest entry in this genre, taking after Terraria. But I only count Starforge alpha for who has tried it in 3d, since Minecraft. It's definitely wide open. The genre itself is super broad and unexplored, so I'm interested to see where Subnautica will grow and seek out new possibilities. I'm certainly surprised there have been so few entries to follow Minecraft.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Minecraft is not an exploration game, imo. It's lego with a sad try to get some roleplay going.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    I have this idea about a repository with sea creatures (and other content). A creature is added out of a template that dictates its AI, prevalence, habitat, special abilities, kinship, health, speed, damage etc. The devs creates and adds creatures to the repository, and the content is automatically downloaded to the players and added to their respective worlds. Non-devs could also be allowed to add creatures to the repository, but the creatures have to be approved by the devs before it's made available for everyone.

The repository could be browsable outside of the game, but only a glimpse of a creature is shown (for instance a blurry picture). Comments can be added to the repository by other players, describing or discussing a creature (like mini-after action reports - roleplay and pirate talk much approved). Pictures and videos among the comments are placed within spoiler tags.

Something quite interesting would be the ability to hot join another players game and take control of a nearby creature. Maybe as an extra bonus for those that create content. The players will of course be unable to communicate with each other through traditional in-game means (bioluminescence Morse code not counted).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I have this idea about a repository with sea creatures (and other content). A creature is added out of a template that dictates its AI, prevalence, habitat, special abilities, kinship, health, speed, damage etc. The devs creates and adds creatures to the repository, and the content is automatically downloaded to the players and added to their respective worlds. Non-devs could also be allowed to add creatures to the repository, but the creatures have to be approved by the devs before it's made available for everyone.

The repository could be browsable outside of the game, but only a glimpse of a creature is shown (for instance a blurry picture). Comments can be added to the repository by other players, describing or discussing a creature (like mini-after action reports - roleplay and pirate talk much approved). Pictures and videos among the comments are placed within spoiler tags.

Interesting idea. Already works in the elder scrolls series were modders can add new creatures & tweak AI behavior. It does bring it's own problems though - such as multiplayer (if it happens), as players may have their games modded in different ways and thus have different content. It's a great idea in principle (and something I could totally get into as an artist), but it's implementation would have to be carefully thought out.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Seems like underwater is going to become the new "space" soon... (tho maybe its only because of SN, which suddenly put underwater games on my radar again)

Looks really nice (graphic and aesthetic) so i wouldnt mind seeing something like that in SN...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While multiplay or coop will be a good addition, I think a well designed single player game can mean hours upon hours of repeated Joy.
    I love the idea to play a good single player game to 'cool down' after some exiting ns2 multi-player matches.

What I want to see.. hmm.. depends where you want to go.
    Save spots (for saved games) I always think work best if you have a challenge to work on, and doing it again after failure repeatedly is not a problem. But in most exploration games I would go for continues saves. Everywhere, always.

Underwater how? Combat? Exploration? Lets assume exploration due to earlier answers. Then you could make submarines with ideal depth. Not everything can go as deep. Make sure a starting sub will never be able to explore all due to water pressure. You could make whole areas which are beautifully coloured and teaming with wildlife. Perhaps a underwater base here and there.
    And then you may need special subs which can go extra deep with ways to navigate in the pitch dark. Perhaps research to find new ways to set up bases that deep?

Oceans are unknown so I would say you could come up with anything you want.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Davy Jones locker in a form of an actual TSF military locker.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    TRENCHES FOR THE LOVE OF GOD <3 lol. SO much potential with trenches :D
  • NebuscelousNebuscelous Earth Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191730Members
    I would love to see the game be about exploration!! True, interactive exploration where picking up items and samples to examine and learn from, is one of the main features. Where getting to those items and samples is wrought with environmental dangers, and clever use of one's tools to evade and outsmart those dangers.

I would love to see highly interactive skill games, like tracing mineral veins in stone with a precision laser to gain varying quality ore and crystalline samples, or activating and taking full control of mechanical articulating arms to collect biological sample from within one's vessel.

Customizable gear and tool sets is always a great motivator within a game world. Access to an abundance of tools and gear would be of course welcome, but the limitations on equipment slots on lower class vessels is also welcome, as it encourages players to experiment with different tool sets.

A three tier, third person vessel system would be very cool:
    1. Submarines- Large vessels that house collection and radar equipment. Subs can be upgraded to have better analysis labs on board, varying sample collection equipment tools, defensive measures, and are considered the players home away from home.
    2. Exploration shuttles- smaller one man vessels that can detach from or exit the mother ship to take the player into thinner canyons and tunnels of varying diameter. The shuttles allow for a more intimate encounter with the alien ocean, while still providing a fair amount of protection and swift, maneuverable travel.
    3. Bare body- The player is given the option to leave whatever vessel they inhabit to swim about in their native form... almost. The player is allowed to build and purchase diving gear to aid them in bare bones diving, such as small propelling devices, tranquilizing and tracking beacon guns, and advanced dive suits with all manner of survivability benefits.

Point and click movement controls would be a huge disappointment. The freedom of flight and sub-aquatic movement should always be simulated controls, and not limited by static mouse clicks. For long distance travel, some form of auto-pilot would be nice though.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I would love to see the game be about exploration!! True, interactive exploration where picking up items and samples to examine and learn from, is one of the main features. Where getting to those items and samples is wrought with environmental dangers, and clever use of one's tools to evade and outsmart those dangers.

I would love to see highly interactive skill games, like tracing mineral veins in stone with a precision laser to gain varying quality ore and crystalline samples, or activating and taking full control of mechanical articulating arms to collect biological sample from within one's vessel.

Customizable gear and tool sets is always a great motivator within a game world. Access to an abundance of tools and gear would be of course welcome, but the limitations on equipment slots on lower class vessels is also welcome, as it encourages players to experiment with different tool sets.

A three tier, third person vessel system would be very cool:
    1. Submarines- Large vessels that house collection and radar equipment. Subs can be upgraded to have better analysis labs on board, varying sample collection equipment tools, defensive measures, and are considered the players home away from home.
    2. Exploration shuttles- smaller one man vessels that can detach from or exit the mother ship to take the player into thinner canyons and tunnels of varying diameter. The shuttles allow for a more intimate encounter with the alien ocean, while still providing a fair amount of protection and swift, maneuverable travel.
    3. Bare body- The player is given the option to leave whatever vessel they inhabit to swim about in their native form... almost. The player is allowed to build and purchase diving gear to aid them in bare bones diving, such as small propelling devices, tranquilizing and tracking beacon guns, and advanced dive suits with all manner of survivability benefits.

Point and click movement controls would be a huge disappointment. The freedom of flight and sub-aquatic movement should always be simulated controls, and not limited by static mouse clicks. For long distance travel, some form of auto-pilot would be nice though.

I think we're thinking along the same lines :)

It will most likely be first person, maybe third person at specific times.
  • NorthOfEarthNorthOfEarth Chicago, IL Join Date: 2014-01-04 Member: 192197Members
    My favorite underwater game to date is Aquaria. It's 2D and very character-driven, but the Subnautica soundtrack reminds me of its emotional tone. Although I expect it to be a completely different game, I really hope that Subnautica captures that same balance of action and beauty. Here's hoping for a game that lets the player slow down and admire the scenery.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    It looks awesome(Aquaria) I might even purchase it.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    The whole exploration / discovery thing literally begs for some sort of Pokédex / catalogue / display collection to be honest.
    mounted-butterfly-collection-3611961.jpg

Maybe you don't necessarily need to catch creatures to add them to your collection. Taking a photo might suffice (I remember some Nintendo game like that). Of course taking a photo of a creature in a deep perilous cave of erupting lava is a challenge all by itself.

Starting with an empty Pokédex and then continuously adding creatures, corals, flowers, materials, terrain types, landscapes you discovered to it would add at least some meaning to exploration. Gotta catch 'em all, you know? Also easy opportunity for badges here (if you want to go for extrinsic rewards at all).

Oh and of course include a category in the Pokédex for tools'n'stuff you've crafted. I really need to stop calling it Pokédex. It's the Subnauticatalogue now. Period. You come up with a better name!
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    have to throw my vote into this, Multiplayer for the love of all that is holy. Im not really fussed about combat to much as long as there are threats and you can the tools to try and deal with them, however what I really want is multiplayer. Some sort of persistent character that has upgrades that you carry over from game to game, server to server and skills that can be upgraded and taken into other peoples worlds if not just a set class system as a whole. This way you would need to go to other people to do everything in the game and they would need you to.

im not saying a underwater singleplayer sandbox wouldn't be fun, its just it would be alot better with a bunch of friends along for the ride with you
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Nebusculous - You read our minds.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Onos with floaties.
    Kerbal Space Program IN SPACE underwater.
    Hugh wrote: »
    Sharks with frickin' lasers

deathtraps-austinpowers-590x350.jpg

Steve, Cory make it happen

Onos strapped to a submarine fighting space dolphins and sharks with lazors.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Things I would like to see,

1) similar play to NS2 but under water, capturing resources, building structures etc.

2) A persistent world map with added bonuses for maintaining control for that particular faction, for example if on the world map humans are winning 60% of the matches in the underwater mining complex map, then they should have a benefit, possibly it introduces a slight speed boost when swimming under water.

3) Character progression and customization, unlock new skins or slightly different fins, longer teeth, bioluminescence stripes or different looking diver gear etc.

4) Day/Night Cycle

5) More Plants and Life Forms, a lot more interaction with the environment. Being able to hide behind rock out cropping's or dive through kelp to evade guns etc

6) bioluminescence, Sonar, Diving Lights, small under water robots.

7) Different Maps, such as under water caves, kelp forests, under water mining stations/research stations/power stations. When the Aliens destroy the power in a room, the pressure drops allowing the room to fill with water, when Marines re-establish the power the pressure increases, air is pumped back in and the water recedes.

8) Different Playable marine creatures, perhaps slightly amphibious.

9) Different Human Classes, Medic, Scientist, Marine etc or customisable, perhaps if you want the sonar detector, you cant have the underwater micro torpedo launcher etc.

10) Maybe the Marines that purchase underwater submarines (like exo's) they could have auto tracking, to help balance against the massive yet fast underwater predators (like rino)

11) Death Match type games as well as resource focused.

12) More emphasis on poisons, a lot of things in the ocean are and would give the medic a greater role.

If I think of more I will add them :)

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nexus5 wrote: »
    Things I would like to see....

Sorry to stop your expectations but Subnautica is going to be nothing like NS2. I suggest you look around to find what it actually will be.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's why I named the thread things I would like to see :)

A guy can dream.