Subnautica Concept Art: Kelp Forest - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Concept Art: Kelp Forest - Subnautica

Subnautica features diverse underwater environments. Last week, we revealed Lava Zone.This week, here is Kelp Forest!

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    By this bump I command this comment thread to be open!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Loving the diving craft cory!
  • hsy452768528hsy452768528 Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186807Members
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    it looks realy life like... nice work
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I love this concept art + soundtrack method of conveying the feel of the game. Also, yay kelp!
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
  • LaeeshLaeesh Germany Join Date: 2013-12-29 Member: 191055Members
    love the transition between yellow, green and blue! Can´t wait for more =)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    different zones.. thats what DC wants... looks nice, :)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Awesome art and music! That's a really great range of contrast in the type of environments you guys are showing off! Just don't spoil all of them before release!
    How will transitions from one type of area to the next be handled? Is there a 'standard' ocean type that fills the gaps between the points of interest or are these area's going to be dense enough that there's no 'filler'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Having two divers in the concept is such a cheeky tease!

It would be great if the player could "feel" the environment. By this I mean, have the leaves of the plant structures react in a realistic manner if the player touches them (like ragdoll physics), It would really add to the immersion. I know these things can be performance hungry, but hopefully in a slow paced, non-competitive game it could work.
  • willow512willow512 Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190203Members
    Can't wait to find myself in that world.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I bet the limited FoV of an oculus rift would lend itself really well to a scuba mask.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Orca's are known for hunting seals amongst those giant kelp forests...
  • TzudroTzudro Miami, FL Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191181Members
    My imagination always runs wild when I see good art.

I'm imagining swimming out there, gliding between the "trees". Swimming up to one to get a sample to analyze back on the Flagship. When suddenly, a cloud of strange chemicals behind to seep out of the wound in the yellow "fruit". A dark shadow slides by in the shadows below you. Then it circles around, closer this time. You've activated some kind of warning to the huge creature below you. Maybe that's why the fish weren't eating these trees. Now you have to hide in the branches of the kelp and avoid the sinuous leviathan below while you either swim from tree to tree, wait for the shuttle to give you faster escape capabilities, or make a break for the Flagship once it's in range.

I'm so psyched about this project. I can't wait to just get down there and discover an entire world that seems alien but may be entirely possible. The strange impossible aquatic vistas, the weird grace of bioluminescent creatures, the horror of being completely overmatched by a superior underwater hunter, the wonder of discovering new life and finding that unknown worlds are there and are wonderful places to visit (or live, depending on your point of view).
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited December 2013
    Tzudro wrote: »
    the yellow "fruit".
    I enjoyed your imaginative point of view, but those are "fruits" are actually filled with air, to give the kelp buoyancy. :D

...at least, in RL that's the case.

• willow512willow512 Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190203Members
    No doubt all that is true... :) But lets imagine further... in the depths the "fruit" will likely be filled by an oily lighter than water fluid. Air would compress too easy

If those chemicals are bioluminiscent then they might actually be like fruit, spreading the seeds of the weeds far and wide with the help of not birds but fish.

Could actually be that they explode in a hail of seeds when creatures come near in the hope that fast moving seeds trigger the bite reflex of some fish. Pretty at a distance, dangerous up close.

For reference, some plants launch their seeds when an animal brushes up close to them. I've had hours of fun tapping them when they're ripe and getting them to 'explode'...
  • UnrealInstinct8UnrealInstinct8 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203335Members
    This thread is old...Look what they have accomplished now
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    *eyeballs the thread necro meme button*

..meh

You're right, they have come a long ways. Look here for video of that (back to 2015).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This thread is old...Look what they have accomplished now

Yes, quite... Indubitably, good sir

fancy-meme.jpg

HOWEVER... LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED NOW 45.gif
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I think the kelp forest is one of my favorite biomes due to its wonderful foliage. I wish more biomes had beautiful, lush plantlife like the forests do.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think the kelp forest is one of my favorite biomes due to its wonderful foliage. I wish more biomes had beautiful, lush plantlife like the forests do.

It is the most iconic one as well, just like the Peeper is kinda the face for Subnautica
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    I really like the kelp forest due to the music. And the less dense KFs are nice too.