My Natural Selection Birthday Present, in case you missed it

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nazo wrote: »
    Still wondering why it at least wasent give to @xDragon for use in NS2C

Seems to me it would have fit perfectly (More so than silly Factions {Which died out REALLY fast} [Sorry Sewlek])

But who didn't see that coming.. people don't play NS to play Global Agenda.. they play it for NS.

I didn't much see the point.

Anyways, I'd like to see this Mod released in some form. It would be a terrible, terrible shame if it was kept under wraps forever.

• Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
  • FlamingoFlamingo Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68141Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I nostalgia'd all over. Amazing work!
    edited December 2013
    Is there a reason why your knife works but the LMG is only visible in spectate? It just doesn't add up.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    Probably the ammo counter, which is only part of the view model. When you say visible in spectate, you mean in third person only right?
    edited December 2013
    BIG EDIT:
    Could not be seen if you're using FEMALE MARINE, since no view models of it are made, hence why I couldn't see it. Once I changed to male, I could see it. Totally missed that. As long as you remove the .lua file, it will pass consistency.

But the custom sounds won't work. Is it a matter of making a fmod sound mod for it? .fsb?
    edited December 2013
    @Elodea has some experience making sound mods. I think you should consult him to get this mod working properly with your custom sounds

I will also attempt this too.
    edited December 2013
    I got the sounds to work using FMOD Designer, but the fire sound won't play if you hold down the trigger, only if you tap it. Anyone know what to do in FMOD Designer?
    *Update*
    Had to manually make a loop on the .wav fire you provided. Now it's a matter of making it sound good when it's looping
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    When you run and quickly fire before the running animation ceases, you can see the bullets appear out of the muzzle origin location that is normally obscured by the weapon.
    edited December 2013
    Ok, I finally got the sound mod working for this. I'm gonna upload it on this post.

To get only the model working:
    1.) Back up your lua folder.
    2.) Install everything from the edited pack I'm about to upload EXCEPT the lua files since it will kick you due to consistency.
    3.) View models exist only for Male marine, not female, so use Male if you want to see it.

To get the weapon sounds working:
    1.)Back up your LUA folder, as a server must exclude Rifle.lua, and MarineWeaponEffects.lua files from consistency checking.
    2.) Install everything.

Will update in a few minutes with video footage of functional sound effects and updated files.
    edited December 2013
    UPDATE 4:
    Despite proper consistency exclusions, it still actually kicks for modified .lua. The only way to get sound working is to exclude .lua checks entirely. There doesn't seem to be a functional way to exclude specific .lua files like the conventional way. Was it changed? Who knows. So the sound mod endeavor was a complete waste of time unless someone explains what's wrong with the following tags for my consistencychecks.json:
    {
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.fx", "*.lua", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]
    "ignore": [ "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model", "lua/GUIRifledisplay.lua", "lua/MarinesWeaponsEffects.lua", "sound/lmg.fsb", "lua/weapons/marine/Rifle.lua" ]
    }

I got the sound mod working for this. I'm gonna upload it on this post.

To get only the model working (most compatibility w/ servers):
    1.) Back up your lua folder.
    2.) Install everything from the edited pack I'm about to upload EXCEPT the lua files since it will kick you due to consistency.
    3.) View models exist only for Male marine, not female, so use Male if you want to see it.

To get the entire mod working, including weapon sounds (least compatibility w/servers):
    1.) Back up your LUA folder.
    2.) Install everything.
    3.) Join or bribe an admin who owns a server to exclude, GUIRifledisplay.lua, Rifle.lua, and MarineWeaponEffects.lua files from consistency checking.
    -Gibs Gorges Hut server currently has excluded consistency for this mod.

Here is the updated and correctly edited files and a video demo of the sound effects. Video doesn't do the surround sound justice.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpbageddk5fb659/NS1 LMG.rar
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    UPDATE 2:
    Uploading correct file...

Good thing I backed up my NS2, I downloaded the previous one :D

Edit: @Zomb3h

Is the new ammo counter supposed to work if I used the first method (or does the new ammo counter require the files in the lua folder)
    edited December 2013
    Bump for edited file posted above.
    edited December 2013
    Nazo wrote: »
    UPDATE 2:
    Uploading correct file...

Good thing I backed up my NS2, I downloaded the previous one :D

Edit: @Zomb3h

Is the new ammo counter supposed to work if I used the first method (or does the new ammo counter require the files in the lua folder)

The ammo counter won't work with first method, since it excludes the GUIDisplay lua file.
    I'm talking with Gibs from Gibs Gorges Hut server and he's already excluded this mod from consistency checking aside from sounds as of this typing.
    edited December 2013
    Despite proper consistency exclusions, it still actually kicks for modified .lua. The only way to get sound working is to exclude .lua checks entirely. There doesn't seem to be a functional way to exclude specific .lua files like the conventional way. Was it changed? Who knows. Even though the model installation will work, the sound mod endeavor was a complete waste of time unless someone explains what's wrong with the following tags for my consistencychecks.json:
    {
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.fx", "*.lua", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]
    "ignore": [ "*_view*.dds", "*_view*.material", "*_view*.model", "lua/GUIRifledisplay.lua", "lua/MarinesWeaponsEffects.lua", "sound/lmg.fsb", "lua/weapons/marine/Rifle.lua" ]
    }
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Despite proper consistency exclusions, it still actually kicks for modified .lua. The only way to get sound working is to exclude .lua checks entirely. There doesn't seem to be a functional way to exclude specific .lua files like the conventional way. Was it changed? Who knows. Even though the model installation will work, the sound mod endeavor was a complete waste of time unless someone explains what's wrong with the following tags for my consistencychecks.json:
    {
    }

You are still checking every lua file in that consistency. The ignore AFAIK doesn't ignore those files if the whole extension is being checked.
    edited December 2013
    {
    }

You are still checking every lua file in that consistency. The ignore AFAIK doesn't ignore those files if the whole extension is being checked.

@sebastianoswell So in essence, the only logical way to get the sound mod working is to remove "*.lua" from the checks?
    I find it highly inconvenient that Rifle.lua controls the sound. Why isn't it independent? How is anyone gonna make sound mods when its in the same file that literally dictates the way the rifle functions and shoots? It's so illogical.

Whatevs, I'm done.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

@sebastianoswell So in essence, the only logical way to get the sound mod working is to remove "*.lua" from the checks?
    I find it highly inconvenient that Rifle.lua controls the sound. Why isn't it independent? How is anyone gonna make sound mods when its in the same file that literally dictates the way the rifle functions and shoots? It's so illogical.

Whatevs, I'm done.

I think so. I'm not completely versed on how the consistency works. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me I'm wrong. But that is how I believe it works.
    Client-side sound mods are not possible with the "mod-ability" of NS2 simply put. Another big ol' downer that sort of influenced me to not even go forward with making it a client-side mod. The ammo counter, sound effects, and world models are not able to be used, which are all important aspects to the entire experience. Ultimately I banked on giving over the source files, and compiled files, for the entire project to UWE at multiple levels, and giving them the opportunity to take advantage of this asset. Unfortunately, they were not sincere in any of their intentions of allowing high levels of customization beyond server-side mods, or re-color skins.

Damned Shame. Thanks for the effort all the same Zomb3h, at least I feel like at least one person could have appreciated the ridiculous adventure and time behind the final product you see here.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I really don't want to see this 'over' unless it's because this is implemented. What you've made is a stunning piece of artwork on all levels and I would absolutely love to use this not just in 1 or 2 servers that helpfully support it.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What a waste. This is truly awesome.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I still wonder how there is no whitelist cabability

Would it be possible to make a server mod that could use a list of Workshop IDs/URLs to allow mods like this through? or would the Lua consistency stop even a mod that is designed to allow mods through?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    {
    }

No this is wrong. If you check *.lua and exclude a.lua it will check all lua files except 'a'. That's the entire point of an ignore field.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    {
    }

No this is wrong. If you check *.lua and exclude a.lua it will check all lua files except 'a'. That's the entire point of an ignore field.

I think you might be right. Thanks for correcting.
    edited January 2014
    I know it's a damned necro-post, but I wanted to say regardless of my absence/deployments I appreciate the effort/interest that went into trying to see this thing utilized/appreciated. Hoorah for interchangeable/substitute words!

Zombeh: It's really awesome to see it in action with new sounds! I put more effort into remaking/remastering the classic sounds than I'd care to admit, especially to get that current-gen level of surround sound in there, thank you for doing that, I have long since uninstalled NS2, but I was tempted to install it just to try it out!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hadn't see this post in a while, but your consistency config is wrong which is why your ignores are not working... This will work if added to the ignore line for the lua files, nothing further should be needed from the standard config.
    "lua/GUIRifledisplay.lua", "lua/MarineWeaponEffects.lua", "lua/Weapons/Marine/Rifle.lua"

My suggestion is to package it all up and put it up on workshop, that way you can subscribe to the mod, and any servers you join without the consistency config changes will just cause the mod to not be loaded, instead of you being kicked.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited January 2014
    And another necro rises from the depths of time.

@IronHorse Whoyagonnacall? Necro-busters!