A frank NS2WC discussion

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Clogging IPs and PGs is considered an exploit?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I predict Godar will take it. From what I've heard, they have been playing quite well lately. Ascension really will have to be at the top of their game to take that match. Should be a good one regardless.

The Sauna and Imagine game will also be a treat to watch. Looking forward to that one as well.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    Clogging IPs and PGs is considered an exploit?

it was decided at least at the time that clogging the IP as was done in one of the tram rounds was not an exploit.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    it was decided at least at the time that clogging the IP as was done in one of the tram rounds was not an exploit.

Just watched that round, sorry :P

I was just curious since if a team can manage to get a gorge into the marine base with enough time to clog the IPs, I agree it should be allowed!

good call :D
  • Slayar_auSlayar_au Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187122Members
    edited December 2013
    Ascensions largest issue is we just don't have anyone to play :S

We can play Titus on Saturday/Sunday morning when the sun & stars line up, but European & Australian time zones just do not line up at all, they are polar opposites (12 hour difference)

Saunamen were on a different level to anyone we have played and we managed to take a legitimate (even early/mid game) late game round off them on jambi aliens. The other 3 rounds were quite a stomp but the 1st round showed our potential.

I wish we could just play premier level teams 24/7 :(

Potential is there, but unfortunately I don't see us progressing any futher in WC when we don't have premier level scrim partners. We loose out on experience (teamwork) as I believe the skill is quite balanced.

brb, buying trip to live in Scandanavia!

this exactly
    except winning tickets, not buying
  • intrikintrik Join Date: 2003-10-05 Member: 21451Members
    edited December 2013
    GORGEous wrote: »
    I watched the first three asc vs sauna games. mf's skulk and Jekt's lerk did work carrying you guys through the early game. It felt like you guys sat on a gorge for a bit too long. May have been able to maintain more pressure if you had another skulk. A bit too much YOLO'ing with the skulks as well. You guys have a reasonable chance at beating Godar if you guys take engagements a bit more coordinated, land bites/shots, and maintain the gamesense from your sauna match.

I'd love to see the aussies wipe out the prize pool with their expensive tickets.

Playing midnight on a Sunday/Monday when all/most of us have work in <7 hours is a very daunting and exhausting mindset. After having stayed up to 2am most week nights the week prior practicing to play Quactus (the game that got cancelled / rescheduled / whatever), and after having played ALL day Sunday, after playing Quactus and then shaping up for a midnight run vs Saunamen, you can kind of see where the YOLOing comes from.

I think like MF said, we rarely ever have the chance to play Premier grade teams, so this does not help as it presents itself as a false sense of security against other teams. Truthfully, I think the skill bar is equal, there are less Australian players, so we've cherry picked the best players from Australia to play in the WC (it's basically what team AU would be, based on current player activity) it's just teamwork and coordination / game knowledge is a bit behind the top EURO/NA teams. Would love to have the chance to show what our players can do on low ping.....

As you probably saw on the Australian league, Ascension won 20 rounds with no losses. The competition just is not there for us to practice against in our local time zone, we play the Koreans (BBS / nRk) but most of the time that is a walk over as well. I guess we've proven that even though on veil vs Quactus was BAD from us, we can still pull it together to take a win overall, and it's very evident that lack of practice demonstrates our inability to predict/recover/react to the Saunamen skulk rush on jambi. We'll be practicing execution over the next few weeks to hopefully do as best as we can vs Godar and, even if we can win 1 or 2 rounds that will be good enough for us to demonstrate our potential, and become a stepping stone for better things to come. Would love to see us go to Germany, the chances are pretty low, but nevertheless our heart is definitely set in doing our best.

Somebody......... please scrim us.......... we can stay up late to roughly 1am our time on a Sunday Night / Monday morning to play if need be, we really do want practice, we really do want to learn to be better....
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    I predict Godar will take it. From what I've heard, they have been playing quite well lately. Ascension really will have to be at the top of their game to take that match. Should be a good one regardless.

The Sauna and Imagine game will also be a treat to watch. Looking forward to that one as well.
    That is, if Imagine can manage to schedule it.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    let's not forget how Hugh & UWE claimed they were supporting a 'community initiative' when in fact it was hughs best friend (dylan, not the community) that sold him on his own personal idea and hugh in turn sold it to UWE who in turn sold it to the "monday papers" (as hugh put it) and then nvidia etc.

in the beginning and now coming to the end, this was never a community event as "advertised."
    it has been a lukewarm cool thing with massive marketing potential for @hugh.
    had it been a genuine community event hugh and UWE would never needed to host a webpage, author, and distribute press to digital publications, ask for volunteers to cast matches, etc.
    in fact, they wouldn't have hidden the news from us because we would have known...being part of the community and all.
    the community would've had a better system for players to find and join teams...speaking of, UWE never really posted any info on that but where to go give them our money? ...theyre all over it.
    the community would've had casters for all the matches...
    alas it was just hugh & @wasabione with the support of reddog and blind and i can't blame them...they get a free ticket to germany and get to sit in the front of the class lol... and hugh gets to act like hes marketing by sticking the community with the bill, literally.

to err is human.
    when people make mistakes they apologize and move forward.
    the community has never received an apology from these guys and never will - hugh got away with it and if they only piss off a few hundred players that's not a problem compared to thousands...thank god they raised the money and the event is happening.

• joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ... ... ... what?
    me. rant.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @joohoo_n3d
    Bitter much? Yes I shall bite.

Many in the community seem to have problems with @Hugh. But if you complain about his way of doing things at least complain when it is 'his fault'.
    UWE sees it as a community event. That means they can put both fingers in there ears, close there eyes, go LALALA and no harm done. They however choose to ASSIST with promoting and some help here and there. And for that you now complain they did a poor job?
    In this ENTIRE event UWE did nothing wrong. They had to do nothing and they did more then nothing. Id say well done.
    Did @wasabione sell this to hugh & uwe as a grant idea and event? Probably.. Is he the whole community? No. Even the group willing to work on it (reddog, zef etc) are not the whole community.
    I do not see it as any fault of UWE to support the idea even if the whole community was not yet informed & onboard. UWE owned us nothing in terms of this event.

Now as for the event itself. Could they (@wasabione and the others but not uwe) have organized it better? Yes
    Could they have talk stuff over with the community more and make it more open? Yes
    Did they eventually, although slow, listen to a lot of comments of the community? Yes

IF hugh did not advertise this for them then it would still have happened. If UWE in total did not help them it would have happened, probably just not in a live event.
    This IS as much a community driven tournament as the ENSL is. Do you consider the ENSL community driven? I do. Its still a small group making rules I dont always agree upon but the fact that they still do it means the community as a whole accepted it. (the aussies made a alternative so perhaps... half a community? /grin)

@wasabione got the funding FROM the community so enough believed in it. We shall see next year how many STILL believe in the event, for next year.
    But rather then just complain you can try something like Fana did. Yes he may have been very vocal and ruffled some feathers. Yes he may or may not be wrong or right. But he did post clearly and strongly and if a lot of the community agreed the points were adressed.

Your post only complains and I see no true use in it.
    edited December 2013
    @joohoo_n3d
    Bitter much? Yes I shall bite.

Many in the community seem to have problems with @Hugh. But if you complain about his way of doing things at least complain when it is 'his fault'.
    UWE sees it as a community event. That means they can put both fingers in there ears, close there eyes, go LALALA and no harm done. They however choose to ASSIST with promoting and some help here and there. And for that you now complain they did a poor job?
    In this ENTIRE event UWE did nothing wrong. They had to do nothing and they did more then nothing. Id say well done.
    Did @wasabione sell this to hugh & uwe as a grant idea and event? Probably.. Is he the whole community? No. Even the group willing to work on it (reddog, zef etc) are not the whole community.
    I do not see it as any fault of UWE to support the idea even if the whole community was not yet informed & onboard. UWE owned us nothing in terms of this event.

Now as for the event itself. Could they (@wasabione and the others but not uwe) have organized it better? Yes
    Could they have talk stuff over with the community more and make it more open? Yes
    Did they eventually, although slow, listen to a lot of comments of the community? Yes

IF hugh did not advertise this for them then it would still have happened. If UWE in total did not help them it would have happened, probably just not in a live event.
    This IS as much a community driven tournament as the ENSL is. Do you consider the ENSL community driven? I do. Its still a small group making rules I dont always agree upon but the fact that they still do it means the community as a whole accepted it. (the aussies made a alternative so perhaps... half a community? /grin)

@wasabione got the funding FROM the community so enough believed in it. We shall see next year how many STILL believe in the event, for next year.
    But rather then just complain you can try something like Fana did. Yes he may have been very vocal and ruffled some feathers. Yes he may or may not be wrong or right. But he did post clearly and strongly and if a lot of the community agreed the points were adressed.

Your post only complains and I see no true use in it.
    his poor decision upset us and broke our trust, that is his fault.
    if you can see no true use in the complaints of the people then you are ignoring something very important and are very shortsighted and likely too heavily biased.

you asked "Now as for the event itself. Could they (@wasabione and the others but not uwe) have organized it better? Yes"
    well, actually NOBODY knows this answer, not you not me not anyone. besides, i never asked that question. dont care.

you asked, "Could they have talk stuff over with the community more and make it more open? Yes"
    exact-a-fucking-right and that's the point! for all of hugh talking about open and transparent development when it comes to MARKETING he doesnt care as long as it sells.

you asked "Did they eventually, although slow, listen to a lot of comments of the community? Yes"
    you bet your ass they did! they screwed up and had to do something to try to rebuild trust that had been lost from the screw up.

this happened because of people complaining and had they seen no true use to it...well, then there would be a lot more people still angry or worse yet no longer playing NS2.

you claim to know that this would have happened without Hugh & UWE, you might be right, you might wrong, nobody knows.
    the event happening or not... thats not the point here.

your logic "the fact that they still do it means the community as a whole accepted it." is not true and in fact dangerous - see germany 1933-1943...they did it for 10 years so you are saying that they accepted it? HA!

i am not fana. i don't know fana. i do me. i dont do fana. sorry @DC_Darkling i'm sure you love them all very much.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Thank you again to all the teams and players that have participated in the NS2WC, please be sure to check out www.ns2wc.com for any information regarding the event and matches still to be played. Also please note that www.ns2wc.com is provided in part by Myself and the web hosting company I own. UWE has nothing to do with the site its maintenance or development. and FYI no rule change or decision reversal took longer than 48hrs from the time it was brought to the NS2WC Admin teams attention, I'd say that time frame is more than acceptable for any group to discuss and review the complaint, no?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    While this thread keeps going I just wanted to point out that last build the Exo Crosshair was moved from exo_hud4.dds to exo_crosshair.dds, so the rules regarding consistency must be changed.

It needs adding "ui/exo_crosshair.dds" to the ignore list, but you can't remove the old "exo_hud4.dds" part, since it's modified in virtually all existing crosshair mods.

So if you've noticed that you can see 2 crosshairs when you're on an exo I've published a mod that makes the new one invisible so it's only your old one showing (exo_hud4.dds). It's here. Of course it won't work until servers update the consistency checking.
    edited December 2013
    thanks mendasp, updating now

1:47PM 12/18 - UPDATED RULES and ALL NS2WC SERVERS
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited December 2013
    i would only put jekt and mf on similar level to top euros. the rest a questionable.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    fMZzUiQ.png

Well the above isn't NEARLY as relevant after the edit :(
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @joohoo_n3d
    Such hate. :O

I shall be brief. :)
    I do infact see a lot of constructive criticism as many posted in these topics. Complaining however, the basic 'this is wrong' without any constructed reasons to support that claim, helps noone. They changed a lot not because people complained but posted constructive criticism as to why it should be changed.

And I only repeat that without the live event and without the funding the tournament would still have happened (if folk signed up) because thats what the nswc group told us. Guess you missed the post / topic.
    Im not even gona compare warcrimes with community events.
    But if to few of the community supported this it would not have been funded or playes, is what I meant.

And no I dont 'love' anyone from the ns2 community nor am I anyone's fan. I do however fill my gaming days with a thing called respect. And as long as someone posts constructive criticism and does his/her best then that person shall have my respect.

But I assume this post will go besides you and you will happily pull everything I say out context a 2nd time. Ill save you the trouble. You can tag this as a win in your personal score list. ;)

@mendasp.. huh? Exo's use the same crosshair file as all crosshairs do. You talking about a mod?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    No they don't, the dot itself was moved to a separate file when the minimal hud option was introduced in the last build.

Edit: You may not notice it because your crosshair may be covering it, if you use an open cross or a small-ish crosshair you will notice it, since it's below your current one.
    @joohoo_n3d
    Such hate. :O

I shall be brief. :)

And no I dont 'love' anyone from the ns2 community... ... ...

You can tag this as a win in your personal score list. ;)
    i shall be brieferer. :)

well, you can love me @DC_Darkling because i love you dude.

sweet, i win! take it! ugh!

beauty (or winning or constructive or delicious or LIFE!) is in the eye of the beholder...and i behold it ALL!!
    n stuff.

• RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    Lamb wrote: »
    joshhh wrote: »

That is, if Imagine can manage to schedule it.

Well, we have scheduled it for the 5th Januare, it's just that we couldnt play this weekend, and they cant play for the next 2 weeks. So we decided together for 5th Januare, and i think Godar also playing at that time?
    @male_fatalities
    Im done with that reply also. :D

@mendasp
    But it wasnt in the patch notes? Grumble.. now i need to check both minimal hud and normal hud for crosshair graphic 'errors'.
    Thanks for the info.

Also im getting way off topic with this all so im gona shush now
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh geez, has this already devolved into the all-time classic "compare a slightly annoying thing to Nazi Germany" argument? That's usually when I bow out of a conversation.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Zefram wrote: »
    Don't you know? I'm Hitler.

I. KNEW. IT.