New Alien Vision

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ritualsacrifice
    With every entity orange, (and apparently doorjams in that pic) including teamates?
    No thanks.. we can surely do better ;)

we probably could. but nothing would be as easy to do as revert.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    @Sewlek , i'm somewhat suprised that there hasn't been something like this before. I'm completely fine with current alienvision, while everyone i talk to cant use it. But as it stands, i have a slight colorblindness that most likely is the reason why. Just bedazzles me that you guys haven't thought about this route before, we can't all possibly have the same eyesight after all.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited November 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ritualsacrifice
    With every entity orange, (and apparently doorjams in that pic) including teamates?
    No thanks.. we can surely do better ;)

Atleast it was better than EVERYTHING orange

*snip* You have been warned before that these forums are not an imageboard. Spoiler tag or links only. -Ironhorse
    sawlek wrote: »
    its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes

OR, You could just bring back regular green vision in the left corner and EVERYONE (exept the troll that made the orange one) would be satisfied.

No, this game needs better customisation for different eyesights, or habits. There is no one universal setting that is fine for everyone, stop being silly.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    minimal AV is terrible. Its just a always on feature that helps aliens spot and track enemies... while the marines have to deal with all sorts of visual occlusion.
    Yeah i have bad eyesight as it is, so playing with everything to minimal and gamma turned to max to negate all this atmosphere bullshit. Did turn everything to high/on for laughs the other day and it was just unplayable with all the lag and random headaches from marine flashlights and other effects.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I played with Minimal Alien Vision mod and was not impressed. Alien Vision Reloaded is my favorite although I don't use it anymore. NSL Rules. :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    RadimaX wrote: »
    OR, You could just bring back regular green vision in the left corner and EVERYONE (exept the troll that made the orange one) would be satisfied.
    I was never satisfied with that green.
    Give this a shot instead. (what others above mentioned)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think the problem with minimal alien vision would be that I can't do perfect walljumping in the darkness anymore (or at least had difficulties with it)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    @soccerguy243
    Wtf? 'If Marines have to cope with visual clutter and occlusion, aliens will have to have that too.'
    How ridiculous. Sort out the unacceptable level of visual occlusion for Marines, don't deliberately make aliens' experience worse.
    minimal AV is terrible. Its just a always on feature that helps aliens spot and track enemies... while the marines have to deal with all sorts of visual occlusion.

what happened to the much vaunted asymmetry?
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Roobubba If its going to be bad it should be bad for both teams. If UWE makes some changes to clear the clutter for both teams then I'm all for it. But when glowing orange targets makes it easier to see through that clutter... not good.

@amoral yeah... maybe marines should be blind and aliens see through walls... asymmetry.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited November 2013
    @soccerguy243 Aliens should have have something to help target and focus marines. They are forced to close distance and get into melee range against machine guns and shotguns.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2013
    Old AV was a little OP, and this AV is fine.

AV is only for low visibility environments (dark) so if you try using it in easy to see environment it is intentional to make it appear bright so people dont abuse it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    @coolitic this av is useless, how exactly is that fine? I have used it cumulatively for about 1.5 seconds in the last 100h of game play...
    @soccerguy243 talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard for a while. Alien vision and normal alien sight need a massive overhaul. Marine vision obstruction also desperately needs some attention, see for example mendasp's cHUD mod which will hopefully be making it into the nsl mod in due course.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Current AV is used for less than 30 seconds total each match because it's completely useless outside of those few brief seconds when the lights are out before emergency lights come on, and there's no reason to even turn it on if you're not in a combat zone during those 3-5 seconds.
    @Roobubba If its going to be bad it should be bad for both teams. If UWE makes some changes to clear the clutter for both teams then I'm all for it. But when glowing orange targets makes it easier to see through that clutter... not good.

@amoral yeah... maybe marines should be blind and aliens see through walls... asymmetry.

the needs of high contrast vision are asymmetrical concerning the asymmetrical nature of attack. if both sides were ranged or both sides were melee, you'd have a point.

also, aliens can see through walls.
    Sewlek wrote: »
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)

Did this make it into the patch today? I don't see the option anywhere.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)

I dont think so.

But they changed consistency checking to be more lenient on alien vision mods

Edit: I really hate this thread (dont want to bump it anymore), but I dont see why Sars/NS2IsGood are both disappointed, (I haven't had time to play new build) but this most likely means the default consistency no longer blocks AV mods, so you can use minimal AV mods to your hearts contents
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    That stinks. Maybe next patch.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nazo wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »

I dont think so.

But they changed consistency checking to be more lenient on alien vision mods

Edit: I really hate this thread (dont want to bump it anymore), but I dont see why Sars/NS2IsGood are both disappointed, (I haven't had time to play new build) but this most likely means the default consistency no longer blocks AV mods, so you can use minimal AV mods to your hearts contents
    I haven't logged in since 2 days ago now im at work till 5 can anyone confirm this?

• CognitoCognito Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187295Members
    Nazo wrote: »
    The problem at least from my perspective is this does nothing to help competitive players. Changing the default consistency check is only useful for people who play public servers with ignorant admins, it has always been possible to allow this if server ops wanted to. However, the main NS2 league will NOT white list this file due to concerns about what people might use to gain an unacceptable advantage in competitive play, so I am completely stuck with using the current vision. Also, because I do not want to play with something that is unavailable in a match, I can not even use this on public servers.

The only way this problem can be solved for me is with a built in option that restores at least some of the pre-reinforced functionality, mods are not the answer.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    G_Lock wrote: »

I haven't logged in since 2 days ago now im at work till 5 can anyone confirm this?

Yes now your AV mod will work almost everywhere.
    Exactly as cognito says, this is a needed change in vanilla, not through mods. Unless we can get it in the nsl mod and as a standalone vision mod to use on public servers...
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    edited December 2013
    So, anyone happen to have the old Darkvision.hlsl file handy? Maybe it's included in some old mod?

EDIT:

Found it, tested it.

Everything looks all plasticy, and the oval "halo" around the vision is still there. Looks like they added another shader, which can't be bypassed even if you use the old Darkvision.hlsl.

In the end, it looks like crap. You can make mods, but they will always look like plastic. I want the old matte AV shader back :(
    av.png

vs

g2DU8m5.jpg

Here's the file if someone wants to screw with it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14081178/Natu/DarkVision.hlsl

EDIT2:

There are also other DarkVision.x files in the shaders folder. I suspect that these are responsible for the plastic and halo effects. Maybe someone who actually knows about code & maths would like to investigate? Or can we even mod these?
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I seriously don't get you people. I really don't. The "new" default vision is just as good for tracking marines as the old alien vision was and the "new" alien vision is better in darkness than the default vision. How have you not realized the point after three months? And what exactly is the problem? Did you just like the old weird colors so much?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    A_Pajander wrote: »
    I seriously don't get you people. I really don't. The "new" default vision is just as good for tracking marines as the old alien vision was and the "new" alien vision is better in darkness than the default vision. How have you not realized the point after three months? And what exactly is the problem? Did you just like the old weird colors so much?

Speaking about the default vision many find it more challenging now to track marines during skulk/lerk combat in a sea of slightly lit up objects all with the same/similar contrast. Maybe this sorta below the radar petition made by a PT lead better sums up the issues. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/215/622/650/alien-vision-should-provide-contrast-at-melee-range-beyond-all-else/

The good news is AV is still in development. (for all those who were wondering why we don't have it in 261) ;)
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    The reduction of the visual clutter in the textures is what made the old alien vision so good. Not only for the needs of close-combat tracking, but I think it was also visually very pleasing, and looked "alien" in a good way. Nothing of this can be said of the current plastic vision.

Glad to hear they're still working on it, but as someone said earlier in this thread: the easiest thing would be just to give the option to revert to the old AV.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I thought this thread-horse had been beaten into glue by now...