Release date

ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Add fish into some water, takes like a week! SO WHERE IS GAME TO PRE ORDER, so I can have pre order bonuses a and exclusive content which can only be obtained by pre order (or 2 months after release for £9.99)!

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ha. I would not expect a release date for quite some time.

I do partially expect their experiences with NS2, and the smaller procedural nature of the games assets and levels, to lessen the dev time. 1.5-2 years AT MOST.

I would preorder it day 1 though probably :D. As long as I am not as poor as I usually am though.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know. My guess would me late 2014 but then who knows, I doubt the Devs know at this point
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Fall 2009
    I want to flag you as 'troll' but sadly my admin powers would just nuke your post at that point.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Comprox wrote: »
    Fall 2009
    I want to flag you as 'troll' but sadly my admin powers would just nuke your post at that point.

You mean Subnautica is not going to be bundled with Half-Life 3? Now I am really disapointed
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    screw that! i want to generate my own type of coral life that procedurally matures, genetically!
    ...think something like the creature from Black&White (ea games) but its coral life!
    @Eucomolhamas I agree 100%. Even if the game ends up being a disaster or I don't like it and wont play it for long, Ill get it to support UWE
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    On a more serious note, I think one of the reasons they are not using spark is probably that they do want to release rather quick. So I'm guessing more something like a year or so. I also don't think SN is going to be the next 'big' game of UWE. They only plan Singleplayer support initially and only 2 devs are working on it. However, they do need to create something new pretty soon as ns2 is not going to bring a lot of money anymore. The only time they sold any sizeable amount of copies in the last 6 months were probably the steam sales and after vavle takes it's toll for that, there is not going to be a lot of money left. I bet SN is going to be a similar project as the zen of sudoku was, something to earn a few bucks while working on the next big thing. Because that indeed will take a while ;)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just FYI, Subnautica is not just some kind of 'filler' between projects. This IS a big project and has great ambitions to be amazing. I can't wait to get started!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    any idea if the game is coded in LUA or what?
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZM_Reaper wrote: »
    Don't think so as it uses Unity3d engine, so it will have quite nice performance :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    driest wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I think one of the reasons they are not using spark is probably that they do want to release rather quick.

The reason SN is not using Spark is that those UWE people working on Spark are not working on SN. Plain and simple, no conspiracy, nothing deep to read into! The mix of skills of the team working on SN is weighted away from engine creation. Therefore, it was most appropriate that an off-the-shelf engine be used.
    SN is going to be a similar project as the zen of sudoku was

No, SN is intended to be UWE's biggest ever game. It is in no way a 'filler,' 'stopgap,' or 'between' project. SN is UWE's 'next big thing.'[/quote]

Also, nice badge mate! Thanks for supporting the NS2WC!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I think one of the reasons they are not using spark is probably that they do want to release rather quick.

The reason SN is not using Spark is that those UWE people working on Spark are not working on SN. Plain and simple, no conspiracy, nothing deep to read into! The mix of skills of the team working on SN is weighted away from engine creation. Therefore, it was most appropriate that an off-the-shelf engine be used.

No, SN is intended to be UWE's biggest ever game. It is in no way a 'filler,' 'stopgap,' or 'between' project. SN is UWE's 'next big thing.'

Also, nice badge mate! Thanks for supporting the NS2WC!
    No, SN is intended to be UWE's biggest ever game. It is in no way a 'filler,' 'stopgap,' or 'between' project. SN is UWE's 'next big thing.'
    UWE's biggest ever game

Now I am curious.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Also, nice badge mate! Thanks for supporting the NS2WC![/quote]

Definitely did not expect that. Interesting.
  • white_jaguarwhite_jaguar Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71439Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm really interested to see what they can come up with!
    I've already been following a game called starforge that has surface and underground procedural terrain generation, but it will be great to see how an underwater game unfolds with UWE at the helm! :)
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    NeXuS wrote: »

We're using Unity, and using C#.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm really interested to see what they can come up with!
    I've already been following a game called starforge that has surface and underground procedural terrain generation, but it will be great to see how an underwater game unfolds with UWE at the helm! :)

I am curious now, will the terrain be predefined or will it be randomly generated?

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Twig wrote: »

I am curious now, will the terrain be predefined or will it be randomly generated?
    We will be randomly generating the terrain, or at least a majority of it. There may be some predefined set piece areas, but we want to keep those limited.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Twig wrote: »

We will be randomly generating the terrain, or at least a majority of it. There may be some predefined set piece areas, but we want to keep those limited.

Oh cool, so a port or harbor for example will be predefined and the rest of the ocean will be randomly generated. cool.

Am I also correct in assuming that subnautica will be compatible with the steam workshop? Would love to see what sort of mods people can come up with
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    So...in all seriousness, when can we hope to pre-order this baby and get in on the beta :)
    My guess is not till a good while yet, maybe summer time or later for pre-order?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Early access? Probably sometime later next year.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    +1 for preorders!

I'm looking forward to my special edition black scuba gear... oh wait. Also...
    ODHbLe4.jpg
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Please no angler fish... I will hate you, I swear.

Der gona be angler fish. Someone hold me.
    yeah! F u angler fish
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Please for the love of god Alpha before I hit that scary world of College :P lol. Eh I'm qqing so much about that lol so I'll try to be productive instead:

For me, the biggest Plus in a game is without a doubt the replay value. So an exploration game based in my favorite environment (WATER!) screams "dream game" to me :P especially with the procedurally generated world added on.