Blocking

DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
In NS1, running into structures, corners and Players always resulted in the Alien losing most/all of their speed and being blocked. In NS2 it feels like the game helps you move over things and it seems to be impossible to body-block a Fade who is trying to escape.

It might be because of smaller, smoother Marine hitboxes but I think it would be good to make it harder for aliens to brush past marines who are trying to block them and bring back a really unique tactical element.

Comments

• crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Marines are capable enough of blocking aliens already, especially armory walls which are under utilized in pubs. I can't say I have ever had a fade blink past me when I thought I should have blocked it either. A well positioned marine already has a good chance to pick off an escaping lifeform as is even without body blocking.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2013
    Collision between players is really bad (at least when you want it to be good it is, when you dont want to collide you will invariably collide). Much better between players and terrain, I have often gotten stuck on tiny aesthetic doodads that the maps are littered with.

Though it got much better with the reinforced patch, now theres SOME collision though it is still not as solid as it felt in ns1. Maybe this is good? I dont think so, but who knows.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited November 2013
    I'm confused at all of the dislikes. Body-blocking fades is legitimately a lot harder to do, so it's not like he's wrong. I don't even try to do it in ns2. Personally, I don't really want it to return (at least not to the level of relevance/effectiveness it had in ns1), but it'd still be nice if collision was fixed.

Someone already covered onoses, which is a fair point. It would be nice if they were at least shoved out of the way (not in a way that incapacitates them) when they're charging.
    Marines are capable enough of blocking aliens already, especially armory walls which are under utilized in pubs.
    I actually appreciate the fact that armory walling is a rare occurance in pubs. ANY amount of structure walling is too much structure walling IMO. It was a bad decision to ever legitimize this, as keeping it out of ns1 only promoted more interesting PvP gameplay.
  • catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Seriously? I've spent countless hours screaming into my headset over the absurdity of a tiny 160-190 pound marine blocking that massive 3 ton rhino of an Onos. Gotten me killed on more than one occasion.

@BeigeAlert Hmm, that sounds like someone, are you sure this marine was not Chuck Norris?

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I do wish you could block fades better, their body type makes sense for blocking, but that's about it. Lerks are small and slippery, skulks too. Onos should just walk over you and gorges well, they're just jesus reincarnated as an over powered game unit.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You can already block people. Have you not tried to run into the back of a Marine. You stop dead.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah...but they then kinda just slide passed you. Because collision is broken.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Actually no, it's passed. Don't even get me started.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    It's really, really not, but this is hardly the place for grammar lessons.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's really, really not, but this is hardly the place for grammar lessons.

Oops, too late! :D

edited November 2013
    Since you do appear to know what you're talking about I'll accept it. However in your example, "'The house just passed the shop' which means that the house moved beyond the shop...", that's exactly the same context I'm using "they kinda just slide passed you", the alien moved beyond the marine (me in this case).

EDIT: Also why are houses things moving beyond things now...

EDIT2: Ok never mind I reread and understand what you mean about passed not being the verb in my sentence, you are correct. Damn it, going to find my high school teachers and beat them up. Multiple ones always told me if it's not talking about time it's 'passed' :|

EDIT3: Successful derail.

EDIT4: Reading up on it, the adverb use of 'past' is really strange, the English language is so bizarre D:
    edited November 2013
    Oh, good job Roo. You may call me snb though. Obraxis was unfortunately too lazy to retrieve my old forum account, so I'm stuck with a silly name.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Since you do appear to know what you're talking about I'll accept it. However in your example, "'The house just passed the shop' which means that the house moved beyond the shop...", that's exactly the same context I'm using "they kinda just slide passed you", the alien moved beyond the marine (me in this case).

EDIT: Also why are houses things moving beyond things now...

Houses aren't moving things (typically), which I chose to highlight the correct use for that sentiment, which should be 'is past', meaning 'is situated in a location that is beyond.'

The 'slide passed' is wrong because the verb is 'slide,' so you don't need a second verb. If you want to use the verb 'pass' in that sentence, it would have to be 'they kinda just pass you'.

If in doubt, substitute 'passed' for 'went' to see if it makes sense:

They kinda just slide went you - makes no sense

GODDAMN EDIT NINJA lol, feel free to ignore all of the above now I've read your edits :P

EDIT2: sure thing snb :P
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, adjusted post above after re reading. Grammar lesson successful Roo!

EDIT: GOD DAMNIT, NOW YOU'RE EDIT NINJA'ING TOO!
    I feel like a mod will (and probably should) delete all of this...
    This is an extremely resourceful thread of information, why would they delete it?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel like a mod will (and probably should) delete all of this...
    You're not actually blocking the flow of conversation as much as you think.
    Maybe we should try harder then, seeing as this thread is about blocking.

So guys, what's your favourite whisky?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just keep it, the grammar lesson is more important than any imagined blocking issues ;)
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm so happy that education in Finland is so good, I can speak and write English almost better than Finnish ^_^
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    You guys are all bad fades who like training wheels
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Seriously? I've spent countless hours screaming into my headset over the absurdity of a tiny 160-190 pound marine blocking that massive 3 ton rhino of an Onos. Gotten me killed on more than one occasion.

It would be nice if it could predict when I would collide with a marine and when I won't. Seems like a coin flip as an onos, sometimes you run right through them sometimes they are like a brick wall. If it were more predictable I would agree with the OP.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    nah

rather i would like to see all player and structure collision disabled during blink ... i mean the fade is in another dimension is it not ?

Just think of all the beautiful possibilities :)

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    mushookees wrote: »
    nah

rather i would like to see all player and structure collision disabled during blink ... i mean the fade is in another dimension is it not ?

Just think of all the beautiful possibilities :)

It practically is. Try blinking into an Armory and see what happens... It's impossible to get stuck on it.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Oh I so do love staring in the eyes of a burning, energyless ten-ton-killer rhino as he charges into me at full speed, only to simply halt and stand there while my teammates riddle him with bullets.

Maybe not give Onos uber-pushback powers, (might be tricky) but instead make Charge knock marines down? (For a much shorter duration than stomp, only long enough for the Onos to move past) Too OP maybe?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Oh I so do love staring in the eyes of a burning, energyless ten-ton-killer rhino as he charges into me at full speed, only to simply halt and stand there while my teammates riddle him with bullets.

Maybe not give Onos uber-pushback powers, (might be tricky) but instead make Charge knock marines down? (For a much shorter duration than stomp, only long enough for the Onos to move past) Too OP maybe?

I like this.