Intel and Nvidia Sponsor the NS2 World Championship - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageIntel and Nvidia Sponsor the NS2 World Championship - Natural Selection 2

The Natural Selection 2 World Championship is the most ambitious project the NS2 community has ever undertaken. Reddog, WasabiOne, Zefram, Rantology, ItsSuperEffective, and Virsoul have moved mountains to prepare for a tournament that will allow every player on Earth to compete at the highest level. A huge qualifying group stage will lead to four teams being flown to Cologne, Germany for a live studio finals series. To make this happen, the NS2WC team is aiming to raise $30,000. There are now four days left to fuel the rocket, and send this game into space. And as of this moment, that goal just got a whole lot closer. Enter Nvidia and Intel. By day, each …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump and may this here comment thread be officially declared open!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oh wow. That's really cool! If any reps are on here, thanks!
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    edited November 2013
    Surprised Nvidia and Intel are willing to put their names to this. Let's be honest, it should have been obvious to everyone involved beforehand that there wasn't enough of a community to ever come up with 30k in donations.

It's almost surreal for them to kick in such large amounts for a project that is doing so poorly.
  • SkogsMulleSkogsMulle Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182968Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why isn't Rantology clickable? Is it because she doesn't have a twitter, or is it a miss? I just want to make sure she doesn't miss out on all the spam they might get after this post! :D
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is just awesome.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Well its a symbiotic relationship :) NS2 is the sole reason I upgraded my pc .. which has both the above manufacturers gear :)

Kudos to Intel n Nvidia !!

Tbh .. I always held both in high regard .. this just makes me all warm n fuzzy about life n stuff :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    SkogsMulle wrote: »
    Why isn't Rantology clickable? Is it because she doesn't have a twitter, or is it a miss?

Rant doesn't have a Twitter, if she has a public profile she would like me to link, I will do so!

So excited about this. Nvidia and Intel have really done something awesome. They haven't demanded we pimp their products artificially, they haven't put strings and ties on us, they have just supported competitive play.

So close to the target now, let's pull out all the stops!!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Wow! my faith in humanity is restored! ...Though 8000 sure does buy them a lot of clogs!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Zali wrote: »
    Surprised Nvidia and Intel are willing to put their names to this. Let's be honest, it should have been obvious to everyone involved beforehand that there wasn't enough of a community to ever come up with 30k in donations.

It's almost surreal for them to kick in such large amounts for a project that is doing so poorly.

Always the beacon of hope, aren't we Zali? ;-)

But this is seriously awesome. Well done to those that helped make this happen! Let's just get the rest and have an awesome time in Germany!
    Howser wrote: »
    Wow! my faith in humanity is restored! ...Though 8000 sure does buy them a lot of clogs!

Clogs shall be personally delivered to the Intel and Nvidia offices by WasabiOne in the WasabiOne clog van.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Awesome! Very happy for the crew who put this together. Even though I don't care much for the event, I might throw in some spare cash, now that it actually looks like it is going to happen.

Looking forward to the Greenish Gorge skin, the Gorge that is meant to be played!

edit: be sure to get the word out there. I'm certain RPS would cover this, they are always interested in these kind of "stories".
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is awesome news, congrats to all who have put in lots of their own time and effort, not to mention cash, to securing this sponsorship, and of course huge thanks also to Intel and Nvidia for supporting ns2 competitive gaming!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Reeeaallllyyy cool of them to do this without any strings, just to help out a community led effort!
    I liked them before (and only buy their products :P) but they just scored major points in my book, personally.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <- currently running a GTX580 with an i53570k

gogo nvidia and intel, thanks for the sponsorship!

@xDragon

+1
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @xDragon I completely agree that those problems exist, hence my post in the vet forum to which you very helpfully replied. I'm still waiting on any sort of response from @wasabione or @Hugh about that: please guys, let us help in any way we can to ensure that this event is the best it can be! We love ns2 and want it to succeed!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Pretty nice from nvidia and intel!

Given how many ppl i know (including me) upgraded their pcs for ns2 - its only fair to see some "return" :P

Good old Sandy bridge (oc @~4.5ghz), THE building block of ns2.
    Otherwise we wouldnt have had good enough (easily affordable) servers that can host the game(with acceptable tickrates) for quite some time.

Tons of ensl gathers hosted on my machine... good times...
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Wow, hugely impressed with this, thank you to Nvidia and Intel.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I'm going to make a wild prediction, that community won't reach the final goal and that UWE will pony up the remainder.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Roobubba, I have never said the game was perfect and I actually tend to agree with Dragon and other on a lot of subjects. However, this event is not the place to say I dont like the way game is and you should change it. This is purely an entertainment venture and the people that understand that have contributed. Also awesome on NVIDIA and Intel for feeling the same way. The thing I love about this community is that they are always striving to make the game better, but sometimes I just wish that people would realize theory crafting is just that theory. If you want real change you need to show examples of said changes and backup your thoughts. This is the only way I have been able to get things adjusted in the past and I am no different than any of you. Please keep this thread about the NS2WC and help our efforts by donating today gofundme.com/ns2worldchampionship and even if you dont donate, thank you for being a part of NS2 no matter how you feel about it :)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If some can upvote the thread on r/games we can get this to frontpage, perhaps some more donations will follow.
    You can find the thread on the middle of this page:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/new/

Search for: Intel and Nvidia Sponsor the NS2 World Championship

I didn't link the thread directly because upvotes made like that get automatic downvotes on reddit. thank you for voting!
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sweet! looks like I will get my badge after all and get to watching some sweet NS2 action too.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    I'm going to make a wild prediction, that community won't reach the final goal and that UWE will pony up the remainder.

And if they do? It is game on either way. In fact, I really hope they do, just to piss off all the naysayers.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hot tamales, that's awesome! 5 Days for 8k though, >.>;;
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Roobubba, I have never said the game was perfect and I actually tend to agree with Dragon and other on a lot of subjects. However, this event is not the place to say I dont like the way game is and you should change it. This is purely an entertainment venture and the people that understand that have contributed. Also awesome on NVIDIA and Intel for feeling the same way. The thing I love about this community is that they are always striving to make the game better, but sometimes I just wish that people would realize theory crafting is just that theory. If you want real change you need to show examples of said changes and backup your thoughts. This is the only way I have been able to get things adjusted in the past and I am no different than any of you. Please keep this thread about the NS2WC and help our efforts by donating today gofundme.com/ns2worldchampionship and even if you dont donate, thank you for being a part of NS2 no matter how you feel about it :)

No offense but so many people have tried to help UWE steer this game in the right direction during development. I remember heated arguments by @fanatic on these forums during the alpha over key gameplay decisions. In the end, UWE made their bed and this is what we are left with, for better or worse. Please don't insult by saying we didn't try hard enough for real change. Most people are burnt out or have left at this point, and have accepted this is not the game and subsequent success they had hope it would be. Faults were identified...and chosen to be ignored.

If they wanted this game to be a competitive e-sport game with tournaments and prizes all along, they sure didn't act like it when making the game. Forgive us for not being super supportive now. Nevertheless, this is an entertainment venture, but to bill it as a world championship e-sport competitive event is a joke. I will try to convince myself to see it differently (as if I were to pay money to go see a movie or something), and maybe accidentally donate when I'm drunk or something.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Awesome news! I don't know who it was who turned round to their bosses and said "Lets give this almost unheard of game $8000 so they can host a world championship finals in Germany" But you are a legend... As are your bosses for not laughing at you and kicking you to the curb.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    All I know is that it should be fun to watch. B-)