Natural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    Awesome, with the exception of cluster grenade spam, 32 man is possible again.

• detectordetector Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187984Members
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    * For example, the server will still occasionally hitch and 32bit players will still experience memory issues

We are working full time on rectifying both issues.
    This is the first time i've seen you guys officially acknowledge anything above 24 players.

Does this mean you guys are working towards having a game that is optimised for up to 32 players and lift the hard coded 24 player limit one day?

That would be awesome.

Keep up the good work, i look forward to playing on 32 player servers again in a few patches time!

32bit.

you don't use computers, often do you?
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Getting "Your game files do not match the servers. Try verifying your game cache in steam or maybe an update just came out." when I try to join any servers. *le sigh* This is the same problem I had with 255 and I can't remember how it was fixed. Tried all the usual troubleshooting tricks, deleting all the usual folders/files, restarting from scratch etc etc ....nadda. :rollseyes:
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now I get to mess around with crazy gorge tunnel spots without having to wait for the commander to research. Sweeet.

Oh yeah, and hopefully I won't be rubberbanding all over the place. That would be nice too.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    -pANIC- wrote: »
    Getting "Your game files do not match the servers. Try verifying your game cache in steam or maybe an update just came out." when I try to join any servers. *le sigh* This is the same problem I had with 255 and I can't remember how it was fixed. Tried all the usual troubleshooting tricks, deleting all the usual folders/files, restarting from scratch etc etc ....nadda. :rollseyes:
    Not all servers are going to be up to date yet. Give it some time. :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey @Narfwak, would you happen to know anything in regards to most of the BT changes being removed last week? Are there any balance changes being tested right now?
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »

This is happening on a server I run too, which *is* updated.

• majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    edited September 2013

Same issue, trying a few things to try and sort it out, will post back if i can fix, hoping its just the servers not updated yet.

EDIT: Fixed this issue by deleting the folder- Steam/steamapps/temp/4920 (just double check this folder has ns2 files in before you delete it as i had a game or two and there is a slim chance the folder number is wrong)

Does not solve the issue of the cursor being off if you run at less than native resolution though, worst of all you can not click your upgrades to evolve :(
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Gorge tunnels free was good. Tbh I would like to see catalyst packs dumped into with nanoshield. Nobody researches cata. Just control the OPness with res cost.

I love where robotics factory is right now. Cheap enough to pump out ARCs if you want to, but doesn't mean you have to commit 100%.
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    See nothing in here regarding strafe jumping.

I'll be drinking the tears of skulks everywhere very soon :)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Hey @Narfwak, would you happen to know anything in regards to most of the BT changes being removed last week? Are there any balance changes being tested right now?
    The only balance change that was ever in 256 was the change to gorge tunnels. I'm not part of the balance team so I'm unaware of whether or not Andi is planning on implementing any of the BT mod experiments or not in 257 or later. It's worth noting that the BT mod is highly experimental and a lot of the stuff that Andi tries is essentially throwing ideas at the game to see what can stick.

As for server consistency problems... we have had some issues with the server build (our test server Onos specifically) not syncing correctly, but we tested with different servers yesterday using clean installs and it appeared that the issue was fixed. Any additional information or reproduction steps you can provide for this would be helpful, but for now doing a clean install for the server build as well as the client is all I can recommend.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Everyone who has SLI.
    Switch to DX11 and make the game use the Maxpayne DX11 SLI profile bits.
    I am actually now getting even better frames than in DX9... by quite a bit.
    I will email a guy I know at Nvidia to make sure the next Nvidia driver uses this bit. It is incredible.

Good job max!
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Narfwak wrote: »

This is happening on a server I run too, which *is* updated.

Aren't you running a Linux client, are you?
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    A patch on a Friday and a changelog? Who are you and what have you done with UWE?
    inorite? We were planning on getting this out yesterday but the Linux build completely failed to compile, so I think it's mostly because we already had the changelog and everything ready. :p
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Great list of fixes. Just one massive one you haven't fixed which is now beyond urgent... SORT OUT THE DAMNED ALIEN SIGHT!

Otherwise, good work.
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I don't know what happened, but now when I try to start the game all I get is a black screen. Steam overlay works, the pointer is visible, and if I move it around I hear it moving over the main menu options for ns2, but I can't see anything.

Local file integrity check came back clean. Might as well get started on uninstalling and reinstalling.

Deleting local content and redownloading did not fix the issue. Time to google search.
  • exaltexalt Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184821Members
    For me, One issue that may shortly be fixed, Mouse clicks to the right and bottom of where the cursor is on the screen. First time this has happened to me. I'll try resolution flipin, then search forums.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Major BUG, completely disables your secondary monitor when you are using the game full screen mode.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Major BUG, completely disables your secondary monitor when you are using the game full screen mode.
    I can confirm this.

• PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Main menu pointer is "off" unless you use your desktop resolution, or play in fullscreen windowed... this got through playtesting how?

Great work playtesters! Literally noticed this the second I loaded up the game and couldn't click on any buttons.
    Note that alt tab does fix it except that alt tab no longer woks on dx11 at least where as you must now ctrl alt delete to get to the desktop.
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    majorpain wrote: »

Same issue, trying a few things to try and sort it out, will post back if i can fix, hoping its just the servers not updated yet.

Make sure you are opted OUT of beta's in the options. had this problem two months ago and couldn't figure it out for a while

Really not liking this bugfix patch, game is now broken.

Mouse input is WAY off, can barely open options menu. Stuck on Fullscreen windowed or window mode and now just freezes if I try to open anything OTHER than the options tab. (Hit "PLAY" insta-freeze)

Not the only person having these issues.

edited September 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Note that alt tab does fix it except that alt tab no longer woks on dx11 at least where as you must now ctrl alt delete to get to the desktop.

Change that some times you can get both screens after ctrl alt delete and sometimes not it depends on how the game feels. Oh but just now alt tab did work, so I guess it works sometimes and sometimes not...

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    fat cat wrote: »
    GODDAMMIT, i just had a ninja tunnel up and the game boots me :(
    Server restarted and updated during a round?
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fixed Commander automatically attacking own Hive / Command Station when logging out

i waited like 6 month for it <3
  • Mr H-KMr H-K Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70199Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Not getting server info e.g players, when I right click on a server. Friday night is just getting started!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    HankyD wrote: »
    I have a very odd bug that's been preventing me from playing the game for the last week or so. I switched one of my graphics settings to "OpenGL" to see if it would reduce lag, but when I went to start it up again a black screen came up, followed by a white screen and a not responding message. This has happened every time I've started the game, I have tried validating the game cache and reinstalling but I cant seem to fix it. I just tried build 256 and I still have this problem. If you can, please explain to me what the problem is and how to fix it if I can. Thanks!
    Go find the line <device>OpenGL</device> in the system_options.xml (open in notepad), located in your username/AppData/roaming/natural Selection 2 folder.
    And change it to <device>D3D9</device> OR <device>D3D11</device>. What should do the trick :)

• exaltexalt Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184821Members
    Yes, I fixed the mouse pointing correctly by adjusting the resolution setting. Someone else on Steam forum suggested Alt enter twice. I didn't do it that way.
    Reminder: if you're experiencing the cursor in the main being offset simply toggling between fullscreen and windowed mode using alt-enter will correct the cursor position.