Natural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
    Um.

Mine doesn't even start. Crash on execute.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "32bit players will still experience memory issues." You mean crashes by that or checkerboards? I hope not. Would be the 5th weekend for me with crashes and I thought 90% of this patch was dedicated to make the game stable for 32bit users?!

Why would they spend 90% of development time to fix something that only affects that 10% (at the worst) of all users who are running obsolete software? Be reasonable.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Is the input lag issue fixed now? Could somebody confirm this? (or warn if it's still there)

Can I reinstall NS2 now?
    Will I finally be able to play for the first time after Reinforced released?
    Can I now give UWE 75$ in exchange for some funny badge?
    Has the 240 brick Skulk returned, given all the complaints about Marine jumping?

So many questions! :p
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    hozz wrote: »
    Is the input lag issue fixed now? Could somebody confirm this? (or warn if it's still there)
    Fixed, but as it has always been a very hardware dependant issue you will have to try out yourself. Use dx9 without vsync for best results
    Can I reinstall NS2 now?
    There is no open bug about installing ns2
    Most probably, but you will have to reinstall to see
    Yes
    Has the 240 brick Skulk returned, given all the complaints about Marine jumping?
    No brick, skulk is great
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013

Can I reinstall NS2 now?

So many questions! :p
    It's still there, but only becomes significant at a much lower fps threshold than before. Overall it's a big improvement/optimisation from b255, so while it's there in 256/257, it shouldn't impact you anywhere near as much as before.

Skulk movement has not seen any changes in 256
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Linux loading time is WAY better now, thanks!
  • ViVnetViVnet Join Date: 2004-05-27 Member: 28947Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    snaga wrote: »
    "32bit players will still experience memory issues." You mean crashes by that or checkerboards? I hope not. Would be the 5th weekend for me with crashes and I thought 90% of this patch was dedicated to make the game stable for 32bit users?!

Why would they spend 90% of development time to fix something that only affects that 10% (at the worst) of all users who are running obsolete software? Be reasonable.

Reiteration on the game being only 32-bit. We're all running it in legacy x86 mode.

Regardless, the game crashes for me constantly. And yes, I'm using 64-bit like 90% of the world (per your estimate).

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to resolve critical issues. Would be much easier to get friends to pay (and play) if they didn't join a game, lag out, and leave.

Not that I'm complaining....but I might be able to help resolve the [what certainly exhibits the behavior of] memory leaks.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The marine jump is effective but there's no way the current skulk is anywhere near as bad as that.... skulk. The one we dare not speak of
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Added changes in 257 mini update to the changelog
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regardless of the day of release, as with most new NS2 builds, many mods will break. We suggest disabling mods until modders have a chance to update, to prevent bad behaviour by the game.

Ahhh, not again... :(
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Input lag is 75% fixed, both DX9 and DX11 properly use fullsceen, as well as even more optimizations and improvements. I highly recommend you don't do the aero workaround as it will likely decrease your FPS. Only time you will notice it is when your fps is low, which is kinda normal. You should always use full screen unless you need quick alt tabbing or other reason.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @Jekt use borderless mode, even in it's stupid broken state.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    snaga wrote: »

Dedicating the main reason for a patch to crash fixing doesn't mean that they use 90% of the worktime of UWE for this. They explained over and over again that not everyone at UWE is working in the same field and that this is the reason why you can get for example a map update and new player skins but not a hotfix for a different problem. They also announced that the number of people who crash is unacceptable and that they work on a solution. It was not unreasonable to expect a fix that will enable me to play after more than four weeks.
    And since they sell the game with the advertising that it is running on (obsolete software/) 32-bit windows, I find it disturbing that you seem to be against a support of 32-bit players. Especially under the premise that the small playerbase should support each other and keep players from leaving the game for good. I am glad that you doesn't seem to have problems with ns2, but that doesn't fix my problems. Was that reasonable enough?
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Wow, the game runs a lot b
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Input lag is fixed, both DX9 and DX11 properly use fullsceen, as well as even more optimizations and improvements. I highly recommend you don't do the aero workaround as it will likely decrease your FPS. Only time you will notice it is when your fps is low, which is kinda normal. You should always use full screen unless you need quick alt tabbing or other reason.

I wouldn't say it's completely fixed, but a huge improvement.
  • hyckshycks Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186848Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wouldn't say it's completely fixed, but a huge improvement. yes i confirm !
  • Hive Queen MelHive Queen Mel Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175317Members
    @Ironhorse

Yay You fixedededded it! :D
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    either my browser is broken or there really are 5 players playing right now.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just wanna say thanks for shipping the patch in time for weekend.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    If you must alt tab on loading, just alt-enter first.
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    I have played for 2-3 hours now since 257 and only had one "failed to allocate" crash so a thank you is in order for getting it running a little more stable and also reducing the rubber banding.
    Hopefully some more stability and performance improvements are still to come, just dont bugger it up again with any more buggy builds please :)
  • ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    I'd like a queue system to be added to the servers when they are full. there is one but it doesn't always allow yo to queue up for a free slot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Zeroouuh wrote: »
    I'd like a queue system to be added to the servers when they are full. there is one but it doesn't always allow yo to queue up for a free slot.

You need to right click the server when it's full so it constantly refreshes, then click join ASAP when a slot opens up. It's such a pain trying to get onto the popular EU servers like YOclan, easily wait 30 minutes sometimes.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    What's with the guaranteed pitch black screen on alt tab during loading. I preferred the automatic crash. Saved a lot of time.
    NS2 has never handled alt tabbing during loading well?? Never recommend doing this unless you are running in windowed. Any other time should be fine to alt tab though. Narfwak's trick is useful.

@ns2isgood
    Input delay will always exist for all games to a certain degree.
    That being said, in this patch it has been reduced from 5 frames to a 3 frame delay...(according to a 240 fps camera) which matches Quake 3's input delay... which i think is quite the achievement. Additionally, if you look you will find a place to lower it to a 2 frame delay by changing NS2's default 1 frame buffered to 0, BUT in theory it would probably reduce FPS.. soo don't do this unless you can afford to.

This is assuming you are running DX9 fullscreen, no vsync, no AO, no MGPU.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Jekt wrote: »
    What's with the guaranteed pitch black screen on alt tab during loading. I preferred the automatic crash. Saved a lot of time.
    NS2 has never handled alt tabbing during loading well?? Never recommend doing this unless you are running in windowed. Any other time should be fine to alt tab though. Narfwak's trick is useful.

I don't recall having a consistent problem alt tabbing when loading into a server before 255.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    What exactly dont you agree with? The 240 camera was used to test input lag. I can confirm that using dx9 i can't feel any input lag anymore (but i can with opengl).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have no input lag (that I can notice), and I didn't have it before the patch either. No change, but that's fine for me cos...it's fine already.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    wiry wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ns2isgood
    Input delay will always exist for all games to a certain degree.
    That being said, in this patch it has been reduced from 5 frames to a 3 frame delay...(according to a 240 fps camera) which matches Quake 3's input delay... which i think is quite the achievement.

Thats complete bullshit and you kow it.
    Not surprised though.
    How about a constructive post where you actually have something to say instead of just being aggressive. That would be out of your character, i know. But try..
    Its not even clear which part you don't believe.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130913/regarding-mouse-acceleration

Heres something constructive. Maybe you can ignore it for a couple of more weeks and make some other ridiculous statements.
    Acceleration =/= mouse input delay.
    Nice try avoiding giving anything constructive on the topic I posted about, though. Way to stay in character. *waits patiently*