Natural Selection 2 Build 256 is live Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Out of curiosity: is the DX11 renderer designed to add more eye candy (compared to DX9), or is it added because you expect better performance from it?
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice improvements with 257, by the way... I didn't notice serious input lag before, but it still feels a bit crisper since the update. Red plugs and lags still happen, but a lot less frequent. Didn't notice any rubberbanding anymore.

Also, kudos for taking the risk of a friday release. :)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    @Narfwak except they don't cos it's bugged.
    I'm not sure what you mean, but to reiterate, the loading screen and console message are simply using the wrong word. You only ever compile the shaders once - generally, when you click optimize after a new build comes out or the first time you load a map. Once the shaders are compiled they have to be loaded into memory, and when the console says it's "compiling" a shader what it really means is that it's loading the shader.

There may be some shaders that are not precaching correctly but those will be fairly obvious in the console; if you get a stutter that you think is an asset being loaded just check the console and it'll be there (you may need to run loadtimes if it's not a shader).
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Out of curiosity: is the DX11 renderer designed to add more eye candy (compared to DX9), or is it added because you expect better performance from it?

Lighting in general seems better in DX11. Beyond that if you have an AMD card and a crossfire setup then you'll be wanting to use DX11 for frame pacing (latest beta drivers).
    Also DX11 supports windowed mode and crossfire. Reckon its the same for SLI.

With all that being said, DX11 was crashing like crazy for me in the previous build so I'm sticking with DX9 till I see some more DX11 related notes pop up in the changelog.

Once DX11 works smooth all of the above and more is a hell of a reason to have DX11 for.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fixed Commander automatically attacking own Hive / Command Station when logging out

Isn't fixed.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^ What is this one? I haven't noticed it before...

There have been a couple of occasions where I have come out of the CC with my gun auto firing (until I click / change weapon).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's what he's talking about.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ah I see. Seems like a strange description for the bug - I mean it doesn't do damage to the CC/Hive or trigger alert notifications or anything does it?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It does in competitive games where you have FF on.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hurah, can finally play again after a painful away time. Texture load times seem to be mega slow, first few minutes of a game I was playing with grey low res walls, not so good.

Shame the ready-brek glow is still on alien vision.

One other thing, as skulk biting extractor the power logo seems to render on the inside of the mouth like its not attached to the extractor model, looks odd.

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Would there be a point to enabling DX11 if all you want is to squeeze out as much performance as possible? I've heard of cases where 11 works better than 9.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Jekt wrote: »
    Fixed Commander automatically attacking own Hive / Command Station when logging out

Isn't fixed.

Yeah, saw it this weekend myself, pushed it back to stage 1.
  • MB42MB42 Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187923Members
    A little better, less crashes but they are still happening. On a good note my FPS has improved a bit.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    so can anyone confirm dead servers? no matter which time theres always like 7-8 players maximum for me in all servers combined wow.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @blackpiranha
    Nope.. Tons of full or occupied servers for me.
    You should start a tech support thread after tinkering with your server browser filters
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    @IronHorse

figured out there was something wrong with the "Skill" filtering in the browser so it only displayed less than half of the players. Thanks tho
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I noticed that the filter rookie servers option is gone. Is that because the skill filtering was added? Will we get the rookie filter again or will you add an option for minimum "skill"? ;)
  • ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    DX11 is a better option for me. this patch (256) brought many buf fixes but NS2 happen to freeze in ways it's never done before for me. NS2 laggs out, my CPU is not even working on the game, a few secons later when NS2 comes back to life, the CPU goes back to 60 - 80% load. It's like a crash that recoveres itself again.
  • ViVnetViVnet Join Date: 2004-05-27 Member: 28947Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    I just tried and i could reproduce, but it crashed at 2.8 GB for me. Can you try to lower your texture settings and other settings too? i try to figure out why this happens, but i know that the game works fine for me on lower settings and i could only crash it when maxing everything out (or mostly everything)

It crashes instantly if (practically) anything is not on low for me, as soon as I try to join any game. So, my results are all on the lowest possible settings, under which I've not seen the game use more than 1GB and it crashes after anywhere from 1.5-3 hours of play, reliably. Sometimes after a crash it continues to crash much more frequently (a few minutes, ten minutes) which is resolved by a reboot or, in my case, I just force free all of the cached memory and I'm back to the 1.5-3 hours crash scenario.

Also, I'm not really monitoring how much memory is being used while playing because if I alt+tab, super key, or change workspaces to get back to my desktop the game pretty much crashes instantly. Steam overlay usage also causes massively corrupted graphics so I've disabled it. For example, receiving a message while it's on turns my game into a colorful, rainbow themed, adventure. I wouldn't worry much about this though, because the Steam overlay is quite problematic on Linux; the issue is quite possibly on Valve's end.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    What GPU/driver do you have? I suspect that the 32bit issue that hit windows users hits linux even in 64bit. But the fact that it crashes immediatly when loading a game with all on max is a good thing, because it makes it much easier to debug, the bug you have is probably the same, it just takes longer.
  • nawoanawoa Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174777Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Games have been crashing because of 32-bit RAM limitations since at least 2007; my earliest recollection of out-of-memory crashes is Stalker:SHOC and possibly Crysis... why anyone would still be trying to play a game like NS2 in a 32-bit system baffles me.

It's impossible for you to lack hardware support because 64-bit CPUs became standard on Intel CPUs 9 years ago with Pentium 4 and on AMD CPUs 10 years ago with Athlon 64.

Vista 64-bit came out 6 years ago but driver support was still shaky so I can understand if someone went with 32-bit until Windows 7, but at this point there's just no reason. 7's been out for just shy of 4 years now and right from the beginning it's had very solid and reliable 64-bit drivers.

You're holding back the entire industry, people! ***CONSOLES*** are on the brink of leapfrogging PC game RAM limitations, what's that tell you?
  • jaimdjaimd Join Date: 2009-03-22 Member: 66855Members
    and i steel have this issue i cannot enter to the editor becuse the render device how can i run it?
  • jaimdjaimd Join Date: 2009-03-22 Member: 66855Members
    some guy told me thath i need to put the render device mannually how?
  • MB42MB42 Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187923Members
    nawoa wrote: »
    Games have been crashing because of 32-bit RAM limitations since at least 2007; my earliest recollection of out-of-memory crashes is Stalker:SHOC and possibly Crysis... why anyone would still be trying to play a game like NS2 in a 32-bit system baffles me.

It's impossible for you to lack hardware support because 64-bit CPUs became standard on Intel CPUs 9 years ago with Pentium 4 and on AMD CPUs 10 years ago with Athlon 64.

Vista 64-bit came out 6 years ago but driver support was still shaky so I can understand if someone went with 32-bit until Windows 7, but at this point there's just no reason. 7's been out for just shy of 4 years now and right from the beginning it's had very solid and reliable 64-bit drivers.

You're holding back the entire industry, people! ***CONSOLES*** are on the brink of leapfrogging PC game RAM limitations, what's that tell you?

It tells me that you know nothing about proper coding techniques and that your reasoning is why so much bloatware and crapware has been written. Who cares about optimization and resource allocation, I've got plently of RAM and CPU cycles. What, my app. didn't release a memory pool? Let the garbage routine clean it up. The poor coder's answer for everything.

So it's the kids fault, the one who gets a hand me down XP PC because the family can't aford a shiny new Win 7/8 64 Bit gaming computer with all the bells and whistles. He's holding back the industry. Perhaps developers need to stick their head out of their hole once in awhile and see what everyone else is using instead of coding on super computers.

• Sardaukar KySardaukar Ky Join Date: 2012-05-31 Member: 152799Members
    Thanks for many fixes.

But even if I can play longer it still crashes.
    From 5 to 15 min of game before it occurs.
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    edited September 2013
    If i run on lowest settings with texture streaming enabled i can game for 30-45 minutes on 257 before failed to allocate crap but, without texture streaming 5-10 minutes before the crash.
    I still get the pathetic freezing for a second or two though which is worse with texture streaming enabled but the rubber banding is happening a lot less.
    Example being lost 2 lerks a couple of nights ago within about 5 minutes due to the freezing.
    It kinda goes something like, fly into room, bite marine, marine sprays and hops, game freezes, game unfreezes, lerk across opposite side of room facing a wall being sprayed in the back, dead. Rinse repeat, no fun.
  • MilanFINMilanFIN Join Date: 2013-09-18 Member: 188323Members
    Thank you for the linux updates, it now connects 5x faster to servers, and framerate almost doubled
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I had the skill filter problem too :D glad you figured it out! I do like the skill system, though. At least it's an attempt to try and balance more games.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Until the random readyroom vote uses the skill system for seeding, it's completely useless for balancing rounds.