Why is everyone so upset?

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
There has been a lot of ranting on the forums lately.
I'm trying to understand why and boil it down to as few keywords as possible.

Performance.

Is there anything more? Or is it just about the performance?

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    This version is installing DX9 and set it by default.

If you have a rig that is DX11 capable... go to options.

It surely isn't the big issue of course, but can help a little. On my rig DX9 is running slow compared to DX11 which is native from the OS i have.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Have been here since about gorgeous, I think (330+ hrs).

Still, the forum is a worse clusterf*ck than a b250 marine turtle currently. There has to be more?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Mostly the performance I guess, but when that gets fixed, I'm sure there will be plenty of ranting on other matters. There's always something. It's a forum after all... :D
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    i think a lot of people are just pissed at how so many changes have been thrown at us is such a realatively short time. and i know at least for me, i'm probebly going to be playing a lot less after this patch ;(

i allready had a pretty bad comp, (14-25 fps and second lowest resolution) but now, i'm getting random fps drops to <10 (i used to only get drops in rooms with lots of palyers and/or buildings) and as much as they say the movement hasn't changed for skulks and lerks,
    something feels very off to me, it's much much harder for me to actually hit anything.

on the marine side, it seems like it's much easier to hit and kill than it was in 250. so much so that I can actually get more than 3 kills as marine now XD(i almost always play as alien unless i'm marine com). playing as alien, you definetly notice it though. much more dieing involved.

but idk, thats what it seems like to me. and i've played it for a pretty good length of time (423ish hours) but i'm finding it hard to keep playing after this ;(

thats not to say i won't be trying to get used to the changes, but in comparrison, 250 was really easy to get used to compared to 252/3, once i got used to the lower ait control for skulk and biomass stuff for alien it was all good. but atm....idk it feels like i have to re-learn everything.

and i've yet to see it in action, but the exos being able to be beaconed seems like it would be very problimatic...in 250 aliens were suposedly OP, but in 3/5 games if the marines got 3+ exos, it would end in a stomp UNLESS you forced a beacon to isolate and mob them.

it's got me worried i have to say.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well... I doubt everybody who complains has been here since ns1. Right?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the reception to Gorgeous was worse, as the performance was not as great as it is currently.

It is shame that UWE are forced to release this game to such deadlines, being a small company and having development costs of half a million over 6 months is very steep. Especially when you are not sure of the returns.

All it needs is a couple of weeks and a few more adjustments to the renderers based on community feedback and crash reports.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Performance, the awfully visually cluttered alien normal vision (which is absolutely horrible if you're playing against non-derps), and that ... input lag.
    UWE are working hard on performance and the input lag issue, which is fantastic and I applaud them for that, and the massive amount of content they've been able to add to the game.
    But I've yet to see any of them say they'll address the visual clutter on alien normal vision, which makes it impossible to track marines in CQC unless you're playing against a bunch of greens or non comp players.
    And yes I've been around since ns1, and yes I'm complaining about the AV change. It was unnecessary and has angered many players. That extra work spent introducing those AV changes could have been spent tracking down and fixing the other bugs that UWE is now working on.
    I don't mind change. I do mind pointless and wasteful change. Thankfully there haven't been too many of the latter, so on the whole it's still a thumbs up to UWE from me.
    So we have performance and AV? Probably the new alien tech tree?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    AV got fixed in the proper release I feel, and even if you hate it, having it off is good enough, you don't need it.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Alien tech tree/nerf plus I cant play right now, crashing 5 min in to any game. Sad that 252 was smoother than 253...
    edited August 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Performance, the awfully visually cluttered alien normal vision (which is absolutely horrible if you're playing against non-derps), and that ... input lag.
    UWE are working hard on performance and the input lag issue, which is fantastic and I applaud them for that, and the massive amount of content they've been able to add to the game.
    But I've yet to see any of them say they'll address the visual clutter on alien normal vision, which makes it impossible to track marines in CQC unless you're playing against a bunch of greens or non comp players.
    And yes I've been around since ns1, and yes I'm complaining about the AV change. It was unnecessary and has angered many players. That extra work spent introducing those AV changes could have been spent tracking down and fixing the other bugs that UWE is now working on.
    I don't mind change. I do mind pointless and wasteful change. Thankfully there haven't been too many of the latter, so on the whole it's still a thumbs up to UWE from me.

wow, you basicly condensed my entire post XD i feel exactly the same,
    also i didn't know there was input lag, thats probebly why i felt the skulk/lerk movement was off, glad to hear they are working on it though hope it's fixed quickly.
    and yeah, i feel basicly the same as you do for alien vision, it takes longer to actually notice a marine, and it's harder to track them too.

it does feel liek many of the tweaks werent needed unfortunetly.

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Your time in the game means nothing.
    Your involvement in the community means nothing.
    You don't not get to dictate the games development and shouldn't.
    UWE are the game developers, not you.

If you don't like any of these statements, feel free to go else where. Just please stop whining! It's getting on the nerves of people who want to enjoy all this new stuff that UWE has put a lot of work into creating for us, you ungrateful mewling quims!
    Your time in the game means nothing.
    Your involvement in the community means nothing.
    You don't not get to dictate the games development and shouldn't.
    UWE are the game game developers, not you.

If you don't like any of these statements, feel free to go else where. Just please stop whining! It's getting on the nerves of people who want to enjoy all this new stuff that UWE has put a lot of work into creating for us, you ungrateful mewling quims!

it's not about dictateing the games development though. i've always loved palying this game the past 8 months even with my crappy computer. but it's only after this new patch i feel inclined to complain.

but, if they do fix the performance issues, i'l lhave no problems with it, unless something is horrendously OP. but in general they've done UWE has done pretty damn good so far.

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    To date, UWE have been releasing regular updates to fix performance and bugs. They are not going to stop now. They've just released a massive patch and a bunch of other stuff so there are bound to be quite a few issues. I have no doubt the majority of them will be fixed in the not to distant future.

They are not magicians. They need time to gather data on them and get the patches written. If they could make it work with a snap of the fingers, they would.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    AV got fixed in the proper release I feel, and even if you hate it, having it off is good enough, you don't need it.

No, I mean the normal vision, not 'F on' vision.

Normal alien sight is absolutely stupendously awful now. I haven't yet come across any lights-off situations where I've needed to use alien vision 'F on' and in principle have no problems with this mode of vision for low light (if only it was possible to use it sometimes, but that's another topic entirely).
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »

I completely understand your point about "pointless and wasteful" changes. I would just like to note here, that there are different "parties" within the community, wanting different things. Alien vision has been discussed a lot on the forum. Many people asked for it to be what it is right now. So you might find it unneccesary, but others won't. UWE tries to address all the mentioned issues.

As for wasting time; they don't rely on only one programmer. This has been mentioned over and over. Just because they worked on one feature, doesn't mean other topics don't get any attention. Each programmer has a specific set of specialties and tasks and is put to work accordingly.

It's a shame that each patch shows the same trend; increased performance for many, decreased performance for some. I for one, benefit a lot from the new build. I can even run it 100% smooth (~60+ fps avg) in eyefinity (6004x1080 resolution). Around the time of "Gorgeous", that was impossible.

UWE keeps trying, but I don't think they'll ever make everyone happy. ;)

• SewdiOSewdiO Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187136Members
    I forgot to mention that the release post talked about the framerate improvement of 250 (smoother fps). The problem is that in 252, the fps have a much bigger amplitude (see the benchmark thread), so it's almost false advertising.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not everyone is upset.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Usual forum whining by cry baby internet nerds.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Yesterday the game was crashing a lot for me, first time to have so many crashes.

I've been told there was a small update to the game this morning, i hope it has addressed the crashing!
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    My only grudge is the worse performance. Everything else is GOOD TM. Maybe I haven't found a problem that would make MAD! :P

Hey, am I the only one who finds onos cute, when he does his bone wall ability? He reminds me of a dino, who is very very shy and I really want to hug him. ( although it is not advisable to that ! Kind of unsafe, if you know what I mean ^^ )
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    \They are not going to stop now.\

Unless their 550,000 is hit, it sounds like developement will stop.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd say the following:
    * Big changes
    * FPS/input Performance decrease (probably because of unoptimized said big changes)
    * Long loading times because of new/changed maps
    * Newcomers (people who just bought this) experiencing a sometimes buggy/not so good performing game

Having viewed the (sometimes hilarious) steampowered posts, the UWE devs are on top of things, as shown by b254.
    My experience: Linux client runs very well, slightly lower FPS compared to Windows but input handling (mouse/keyboard) is VERY good, better than Windows I dare to say.
    My Linux NS2 server has been set up, I can't wait to test this.
    If anyone wants to test, connect to : 188.142.67.84
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    RisingSun wrote: »
    \They are not going to stop now.\

Unless their 550,000 is hit, it sounds like developement will stop.

Do you have a reliable source for that?
    And by that you mean just adding new content or also fixing current bugs?