Build 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    edit: to get this to work on macbook retinas go into properties > compatibility and click 'disable scaling on high dpi settings'
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thats what you get for playing anything on a macbook. scum of the personal computer space.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    so alien comm's ability to create infestation where ever he wants is complete trash... can you say bombard whip echo strat for the win... complete bullshit

I'm ok with very little of this patch...
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    edited August 2013
    Why damage indicators not centered on crosshair anymore? Kind of difficult to tell if I get a hit as alien now.

Why Does the name of marine float away from them in commander view depending on their direction they face? I habitually use the name of marine to drop meds and not their model. Now if I aim for the floating name, meds regularly miss. Seems liek a change that wasn't needed.

I might get used to new AV. But that combined with new alien movement makes for frustrating gameplay. I am getting tired of relearning movement every 3 months :)

And beacon exos?
  • EvanidusEvanidus Join Date: 2007-05-14 Member: 60889Members
    Fuck alien vision. Fuck it in the face.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    so alien comm's ability to create infestation where ever he wants is complete trash... can you say bombard whip echo strat for the win... complete bullshit

actually if i read it right, it requires 9 biomass...at which point the game is (mostly) over anyway.

also hugely not a fan of the change to where damage is drawn on screen.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    skulk movement is tweaked again
    No it wasn't
    simba wrote: »
    But that combined with new alien movement makes for frustrating gameplay. I am getting tired of relearning movement every 3 months :)
    Fade was the only alien that had any kind of movement tweaks done to it this patch.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    @Lucas2616;
    Were you doing this down a slope? It has been like that since B250.
    I was not.

I'm also feeling the mice and aiming is a bit floaty. Does it have to do with the PhysX GPU option in General options?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Woo!
    Probably the final update I do to my NS2 server while running it by wine, native next :D

Edit:
    Can't test if server is working by joining as I'm at work.
    A couple messages come up in server console, I assume I can ignore them?
    The halo_green.model one I've been ignoring for a couple patches now.
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/effects/halo_green.model'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_docking.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: The animation model specified for 'models/marine/grenades/female_gr_nerve_view_special.model' doesn't have the same bones as the target model
    Animation model doesn't have bone 'play_cam'
    Error: The animation model specified for 'models/marine/grenades/female_gr_nerve_view_deluxe.model' doesn't have the same bones as the target model
    Animation model doesn't have bone 'play_cam'

If anyone can test, the server IP is: edit: can't get it to work, people who join get the following: Client disconnected (<ip> Your game files do not match the server's. Try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out.
    I verified files at server side, that particlar player could join other b252 servers, I'll try testing some more when I'm back home.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also the console looks for FEMALE ALIEN sounds, just food for thought
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    I have to agree with a previous poster that it was certainly time for a Fade nerf. While I'm sure many talented Fade players are upset, even a mediocre player like myself could roflstomp with a Fade.

Simply put - one individual player shouldn't have that much power, and the pre-252 Fade was too powerful. Over the last several weeks, a Fade going 40-5 or something similar was commonplace. One really good Fade could control an entire part of the map or game. I typically don't like to see nerfs that penalize really good players, but I think the Fade was getting a little too out of hand.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Try running r_stats in console and see if you're getting unusually high frame latency (the number in milliseconds after your FPS) when you're experiencing what seems like changes to movement or "floaty" game feel.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited August 2013
    great 7th time the perfect mouse sensitivity goes back to default. but i like the parasite it feels like you actually can hit stuff better now.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That. Sounds. AWESOME! Can't wait to try it today. How does bone shield work?

Alien nerf was needed. Weaker fades mean they need to play together now too. You can't balance a life form around itself as a single hunter or you will have them overpowered as soon as 3 bunch together and use teamplay. I think it is the right choice to nerf them so they need teamplay to overcome marines that use teamplay. I don't think you have problems with lone marines as fade now.
    But who cares. The "They nerfed my loved class! It is now more difficult for me!"-whiners will come in anyway. No matter that the aliens needed a nerf in mid-late game to make it interesting again.

Anyway. I hope the animation and physics aren't to broken to have fun for this two days now.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Exo beacon is probably the worst thing I've seen in this game.

Make exo train > kill hive > beacon > repeat ad nauseum until all hives are dead > GG.

Alien movement does feel different, literally every person I've played with has said that. It feels like skulk and lerk have more mass/momentum. Fades are slow but that's fine with me, celerity brings them back up to a respectable speed and you're still fast enough to get the job done. I don't like that fades were nerfed and tres fade eggs were pushed back to the third hive, though. It seems a little excessive. Your fades are probably going to be dying more often because they're easier to hit now.. and they're harder to replace.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are fade eggs really on biomass 9 now?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Only played a couple of rounds thus far. Mostly everyone was put off by not having any working first person animations, which made it very difficult to play Skulk and Lerk effectively. That might have been one possible reason for people feeling that things felt "floaty".

Wasn't the only issue, though. The game wouldn't let me drop a single cyst on the map. Perhaps because of this new tutorial that comes up just because I have "Commander Help" enabled (which is not a "I want a tutorial"-button to me but just the ability to get a little faster access to everything by having it appear as icons directly on the play field). Or perhaps because the server was running NS2Stats.

As for Bone Shield: it reduces all incoming front damage on the Onos by a set percentage. Costs energy to keep it active and slows the Onos down/prevents it from attacking.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cuel wrote: »
    Are fade eggs really on biomass 9 now?

Yep. Really doesn't need to be on biomass 9. That's a little ridiculous. MAYBE biomass 5 or 6 or something, but biomass 9 doesn't even happen in most games.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually bone shield makes you immune from damage via frontal attacks and you cant move
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited August 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    skulk movement is tweaked again
    No it wasn't
    simba wrote: »
    But that combined with new alien movement makes for frustrating gameplay. I am getting tired of relearning movement every 3 months :)
    Fade was the only alien that had any kind of movement tweaks done to it this patch.

maybe not overtly, but I stick to every damn surface as a skulk, and my glancing wall jumps have to be even more glancing or I mess up my momentum. either some additional variables are at play, or you've got some bugs, but it is most definitely not the same as prepatch. someone said something about the Linux reconciliation messing with all movement in general.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Also, Skulks are faintly gnarling now while being idle. Have yet to find out if it's loud enough for careful marines to notice when I am hanging in some corner on the ceiling.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Commander has had personal res taken away and there's a one minute lockout before the commander can accrue res again after leaving the chair. No more gorging to tend your hive early game. Plus it's frustrating is someone just wants to jump in and build something.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013

Can you say viable base breaking ability for the aliens that stops the 2 hour long pointless 4 hive sieges that end in a concede?

One theme I don't like with this patch is the constant back tracking with regards to design philosophies that were seemingly set in stone previously. I don't mind if certain mechanics don't float my own personal boat, all that I ask is that UWE remain dedicated to their vision and find a way to make it work. Introducing HMGs, allowing Exos to beacon, these represent a lack of belief in the vision they originally had. And I'm not talking about "oh we tried something this way now lets try it another way", as with lifeform movement or the ability to sprint or something like that. These were core game principles that have now seemingly been tossed aside.

I hope there is still some direction here, rather than urgent triage taking place.

• VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    While Exos can beacon now (not sure how that's going to play out) HMGs aren't in the game currently, not unless they're planning on saving that for the 30th. However, given that not even the leaks from NS2Aus even mentioned them, I'm not sure they'll even be in game.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    well you can get 1500 points hitmarkers on structures but when biting marines i get nothing except 5+ AFTER the marine is dead. wtf