Build 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Build 252 is a preparatory release that lays much of the groundwork for Reinforced, which will arrive this Friday. It contains big changes to basically everything. There will be no changelog at this time,* and the changelog will come with Build 253 (Reinforced) on Friday. Lots of stuff has changed under the hood – You will notice for example that you may select from D3D9, D3D11, and OpenGL in the graphics menu. These new graphics-library options are indicative of the imminent Reinforced Linux release. The game should be much improved in 252, though there will be some issues. You might get stuck occasionally, as changes to the physics system (again, in preparation for Linux) have introduced some new issues. Shotguns …

Read the full story here

Comments

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had my hope up there to be dashed away. Still though, only two days wooooo
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    You can spend those days hunting the changelog like easter eggs by playing the game. ;)
    edited August 2013
    That is what i shall do! Let the hunt commance

Edit:

Can anyone find an updated server, I cant connect to any because they are still in the old build it seems
  • oreo112oreo112 Join Date: 2013-07-14 Member: 186095Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Getting some really bad "studdering" (don't judge me, a better word escapes me right now" going on in this build. Also I am seeing no attack animations on either marine or alien.

Otherwise, liking the changes I've seen so far. I'm not sure if it's new this build, but the Sandbox mode is pretty neat.
    All attack animations are broken which is confusing lol. Also how does this new vortex work properly, Its teleported me back to its origin a few times but not all the time. whats the new funtion of it and how does it work propely
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Really like the new alien vision, it feels like it actually has a place in the game. played with openGL on and everything seemed to work just fine, thought I get an extra 10 FPS with DX 11, i'm excited about all the new changes! good job UW!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I assume you've possibly added some models for the upcoming patch, TO THE EDITOR I GO
    Also quick heads up. If you go to build a destroyed powernode with your tool gun. It can cause you to crash
  • SychoSycho Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186642Members
    Let me be the first to say that this game is ruined. Alien movement is ruined. Alien vision, also ruined. Glad to see your way of balancing the game was to put the entire Kharaa into a vat of molasses.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    Sycho wrote: »
    Let me be the first to say that this game is ruined. Alien movement is ruined. Alien vision, also ruined. Glad to see your way of balancing the game was to put the entire Kharaa into a vat of molasses.

welcome to the NS2 beta
    hope you enjoy your stay
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    new tutorial is added too, it's pretty slick. everything a new person would need to know without being overbearing
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Damn it my game wont update, what sort of black magic is this
    Damn it my game wont update, what sort of black magic is this

This isn't reinforced by the way. I'd have rather or waited till then tant to be stuck playing a broken game :(
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Some noted changes.

Aliens:
    Drifters are made from Eggs that can be dropped on Infestation, 5 res increased to 8.
    Changed how research works on Alien side. Research a 35 res upgrade to upgrade the HP/Skills of target Alien form. Each type requires its own building and gives all research for that form assuming enough biomass. Crag/Onos, Whip/Slulk, Hive/Gorge. Fade and Lerk are on Shade/Energy, but forgot what one.
    Gorge Tunnels still need to be directly research on Hive for 15 res.
    Added Web ability for Gorge. Place up to 10 webs, 1 res each. Slows/Stops Marine. Confusing as hell to use at first glance.
    Added a Shield for Onos on their front. Requires 6-8 Biomass.
    Vortex on Fade changed from durp to place Vortex on spot, once he attacks, teleports back to that spot.
    Added a heavy attack on Fade. Requires 6-8 Biomass.

Marines:
    THEY HAVE FIRECRACKERS!!!1111
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Some noted changes.
    Marines:
    THEY HAVE FIRECRACKERS!!!1111

And stink bombs and broken Unstable batteries
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I forgot to add that Alien Vision is now orange and mostly worthless. However in non-Alien vision, Marines now are highlighted like Alien Vision from before.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Whoa @ 252 and inc 253.

A good whoa. I think. brb.
    As I had guessed, literally every single model , except the female marine, is currently in the game and can be veiwed. The grenades look very nice, well done!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hmm not sure i like all the balance changes. any PT'ers want to talk about whether they make the game better?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    typical UWE

releases game changing updates, but refuses to give you patch logs.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    Well, to be fair, they ARE trying to give patch logs, it just takes a long time to compile ALL the changes. Coding is a long process and this is a large patch.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dont see the logic in the fade changes. Were these sewlek's doing, because he seems to really hate everything about the fade :P

"lets nerf the fade's speed, energy, and damage at the same time! That surely won't be an overcompensation"

"also lets make blink aesthetically equivalent to old shadow step, further reinforcing the pointless swapping of blink and shadowstep as the primary locomotion method"
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe it's me, but it looks like MARINE STRAFE DODGING was finally added.

If you time it right, you will hear a grunt. You basically gain a slight boost when you strafe-jump. Strafe for a while, then jump. It has a cool-down.

I can sleep in peace now. Good to see the Fade Stab back.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    dear lord, everything is different. skulk movement is tweaked again, fades are sluggish, vortex is interesting but kinda pointless, skulk moved to whip, I don't enjoy the game anymore. aliens got a massive Nerf and marines a small buff, I imagine this will play out well. also, alien vision is crap now. completely pointless, and running around without it on makes me upset. I have older hardware, and low contrast low polygon hurts my experience. well played sirs.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    My game launches zoomed in like in the top left quarter of the screen and I can't change the screen size because the accept button is in the bottom right of the screen... it's really weird. Completely unplayable.

edit: to get this to work on macbook retinas go into properties > compatibility and click 'disable scaling on high dpi settings'

^fix
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013
    For me everything feels floaty hard to describe. Got a bit dizzy from it. My frames dropped in certain areas on the CPU side where it stutters more. Though I am unsure if grenades are the reason or the server performance tanking so gonna need to play a couple more games to see. Specs are i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz and GTX 480 @ 900/2200 if it matters.
  • Lucas2616Lucas2616 Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185714Members
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Maybe it's me, but it looks like MARINE STRAFE DODGING was finally added.

If you time it right, you will hear a grunt. You basically gain a slight boost when you strafe-jump. Strafe for a while, then jump. It has a cool-down.

Were you doing this down a slope? It has been like that since B250.
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    I dont see the logic in the fade changes. Were these sewlek's doing, because he seems to really hate everything about the fade :P

"lets nerf the fade's speed, energy, and damage at the same time! That surely won't be an overcompensation"

"also lets make blink aesthetically equivalent to old shadow step, further reinforcing the pointless swapping of blink and shadowstep as the primary locomotion method"

Fades were MUCH too powerful, it's good to see a big nerf.
  • SychoSycho Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186642Members
    edited August 2013
    Oh look! You can still pop Drifters with one burst of an LMG, and poof! 8 alien tres, down the sh*tter...