Build 252 is Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

14567810»

Comments

• MvpMvp Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187157Members
    The build on Friday will not support Mac OS, there is still more work to be done for that, but all the work done to get it on Linux has brought us much closer to running on Mac. Should not be long now.

Great, thanks. Looking forward to the update that will bring OS X support.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    wulf wrote: »
    Not relevant. You opted to be a playtester, they bought a game expecting a finished product.

Yeah, about that... you've heard of Aliens: Colonial Marines, right ? How about Duke Nukem: Forever ?

Even big developers with megabucks can make mistakes.

you do realize that your comparison kinda casts UWE in the worst light possible right? colonial marines was a travesty that was universally panned, and duke nukem forever did the company no favors... wow, gearbox really doesn't have a great track record does it?

you'd do better to compare it to minecraft.
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    im finding the patch changes quite interesting to get to grips with - the minor issues that have cropped up are excusable - i simply dont understand how the game ruining server lag managed to get through playtesting. i understand that it affects servers of 16p+ but still... hope you all get it fixed before hand.
    Enhance89 wrote: »
    What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is the outwardly negative group of posters. I realize the game doesn't fit whatever perfect reality many had envisioned for it, but what game does? Furthermore, the calm and well-reasoned posters are actually offering sound opinions. The people I've seen negatively responding to the game are going on rants about how stuff is broken, but they rarely give a legitimate argument supporting their opinion. It's frustrating to see.

wait, you don't understand the feeling of people who bought a game with the understanding that it was an actual product and that they were actual customers, only to be treated as involuntary QA testers for the company's efforts to reach a wider audience? You really have an interesting definition of sound opinion and support, if you are unwilling to acknowledge that it is not really customary to use your customers as a free labor force.

My definition of perfect reality for a game, I think, is the same as anybody's definition of perfect reality for a game. patches that are, at the least, not pushed until none of the glaringly obvious faults are present. We were pushed a buggy release to, and i'm paraphrasing, lay the groundwork and find the technical problems before the PR blitz of the scheduled release.

I'll accept a great deal because the company is small, and they don't necessarily have the resources to test their releases on all the hardware they might want to. This means that it might crash for certain setups, that some things aren't optimized for some systems, that some features might glitch every so often, for some people.

what I will not accept, and should not be expected to accept, is for a company to push out an update that makes the game unplayable for a majority of its audience. Anecdotally, of course, everybody I spoke to had issues with mouse lag eventually, and skulk movement right off the bat. Among other things. These were not design differences, these were bugs, as confirmed by the developers themselves. There were also issues with servers and lag hiccups, but i honestly didn't stick around long enough to encounter too much of that.

if you actually read the thread, you might have gleaned some of that. with the only defense from those in support of the release... ....... that wasn't it a treat that we got to play it early?

it would have been a treat... if we could actually play it.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    amoral wrote: »
    What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is the outwardly negative group of posters. I realize the game doesn't fit whatever perfect reality many had envisioned for it, but what game does? Furthermore, the calm and well-reasoned posters are actually offering sound opinions. The people I've seen negatively responding to the game are going on rants about how stuff is broken, but they rarely give a legitimate argument supporting their opinion. It's frustrating to see.

wait, you don't understand the feeling of people who bought a game with the understanding that it was an actual product and that they were actual customers, only to be treated as involuntary QA testers for the company's efforts to reach a wider audience? You really have an interesting definition of sound opinion and support, if you are unwilling to acknowledge that it is not really customary to use your customers as a free labor force.

My definition of perfect reality for a game, I think, is the same as anybody's definition of perfect reality for a game. patches that are, at the least, not pushed until none of the glaringly obvious faults are present. We were pushed a buggy release to, and i'm paraphrasing, lay the groundwork and find the technical problems before the PR blitz of the scheduled release.

I'll accept a great deal because the company is small, and they don't necessarily have the resources to test their releases on all the hardware they might want to. This means that it might crash for certain setups, that some things aren't optimized for some systems, that some features might glitch every so often, for some people.

what I will not accept, and should not be expected to accept, is for a company to push out an update that makes the game unplayable for a majority of its audience. Anecdotally, of course, everybody I spoke to had issues with mouse lag eventually, and skulk movement right off the bat. Among other things. These were not design differences, these were bugs, as confirmed by the developers themselves. There were also issues with servers and lag hiccups, but i honestly didn't stick around long enough to encounter too much of that.

if you actually read the thread, you might have gleaned some of that. with the only defense from those in support of the release... ....... that wasn't it a treat that we got to play it early?

In other words, "I'll accept the lack of polish that comes with an indie game, until it affects me negatively."

How is UWE supposed to test their game on thousands of different hardware configurations? All they have is their own machines and their beta tester's machines. They don't have a QA staff testing the game full time.

You make everything sound easy.
    Wisp wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

In other words, "I'll accept the lack of polish that comes with an indie game, until it affects me negatively."

How is UWE supposed to test their game on thousands of different hardware configurations? All they have is their own machines and their beta tester's machines. They don't have a QA staff testing the game full time.

You make everything sound easy.

I'm ok with bugs that impact specific hardware, those are understandable, and it's understandable that theyneed us to test those. im not ok with bugs that are hardware independent. skulk movement doesn't seen like it was tied to hardware as it seemed to impact everybody I spoke to. mouse lag is persistent even after they "fixed" it, and impacted most people to some degree or other. so, yes, im upset that things that impact everybody, and should have come out in the most basic of testing make it to release.
  • ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    The update comes tomorrow (in a few hours better said) Hold out, I dont think you'll die from that?
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    edited August 2013
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    Yeah, about that... you've heard of Aliens: Colonial Marines, right ? How about Duke Nukem: Forever ?

Even big developers with megabucks can make mistakes.

Duke was a just a bad game. It's not that it was buggy or anything, it just bad.

As for ACM, that was effectively fraud, and partially because Gearbox outsourced and didn't supervise. Both got rightfully panned.

However, neither are analogous to NS2 which takes a good game then radically changes it. The makes more changes, then makes even more big changes.

These aren't tweaks and minor changes. These are major changes to the core game. After the alleged beta release.
  • VixinGVixinG Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166648Members
    Hey I just wanted to say I love you.
  • quintoxquintox Join Date: 2008-11-27 Member: 65594Members
    Please, please, please remove the horrid orange outlining! I didn't like it when it was implemented on friendly alien players a while back, but it was doable and still acceptable. Adding it to enemy players is unacceptable because it completely breaks down the immersion of the game. You hardly see actual models anymore, just a distant orange glowing shape. Not to mention there's hardly any need for parasite anymore.. what's the point >_>

I don't understand why Aliens nor the game needed this feature, imo it's not on par with the rest of the visuals and immersion. I've been a huge fan of NS since its early days as a mod.. this just doesn't feel right.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Why did they up the cost on drifters to 8 res while simultaneously removing the comm's ability to go gorge through the res restriction? Is there a reason they want to slow down aliens' early harvesters?
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    quintox wrote: »
    Please, please, please remove the horrid orange outlining! I didn't like it when it was implemented on friendly alien players a while back, but it was doable and still acceptable. Adding it to enemy players is unacceptable because it completely breaks down the immersion of the game. You hardly see actual models anymore, just a distant orange glowing shape. Not to mention there's hardly any need for parasite anymore.. what's the point >_>
    I don't think you ever understood what parasite is for.

I am glad of this change, I never understood why we have been stuck for so long with that awful and nauseating AV while there was way better alternatives out there.
  • ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Those $550 000 will be given back soon, We're at $50 000 soon already :)

Thanks again UWE for a fantastic job!!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    If UWE is going to nerf every possible sensory ability for aliens then they should nerf it too for the marines say tweak the observatories so that they can only scan in areas that have power.
  • barrybbarryb Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34677Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Geez did someone feed the skulks amphetamine? Maybe I'm getting too old lol :)
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got this script error being generated after a game while standing in the ready room. The number was growing rapidly.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's because of a server mod.