Obby's FULL NUKE NS2 GUIDE (Only way to be sure)

ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Hi there.

I've noticed a number of people on the Tech forums have various different issues, which could be fixed by following these next steps:

Disable all mods from within NS2 first, and unsubscribe from any in your Mods list. (You must go through steam to properly unsubscribe!)

Then.....

Delete NS2 from Steam. Then do a manual NS2 Cleanup (this is not done when Steam deletes NS2 from your Library) like follows:

1) Delete NS2 from Steam the normal way.
2) Go to your hidden folder where settings are saved C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming and Delete the 'Natural Selection 2' folder.
3) Go to your SteamApps\common Directory and make sure you delete 'natural selection 2'
4) Restart your PC (to be on the safe side)
5) Reinstall NS2 fresh from a new download.

Try those steps. Chances are, your NS2 is now working fine! :D

If that does not help then post a thread with your issue, with as much evidence as possible (screenshots/video) and also run techsupport.exe in your NS2 Steam Directory. Then upload it somewhere for us to see & report back.

Thanks all!

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Doesn't nuke settings stored at Steam Cloud steam/userdat/<steamid>/4920 ;) and verifying should do the reinstall with deleting all mods as it compares all hashes and replaces corrupted files.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Doesn't nuke settings stored at Steam Cloud steam/userdat/<steamid>/4920 ;) and verifying should do the reinstall with deleting all mods as it compares all hashes and replaces corrupted files.

Clearly, you've never had to deal with the amount of different NS2 problems I have.

You can uncheck steam cloud use easily in Steam settings. Verifying Game cache works half the time only. The rest of the time, my guide will work fine.

My guide still stands ;)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Obraxis wrote: »

Clearly, you've never had to deal with the amount of different NS2 problems I have.

You can uncheck steam cloud use easily in Steam settings. Verifying Game cache works half the time only. The rest of the time, my guide will work fine.

My guide still stands ;)

Doesn't meant to be rude its just unchecking steam cloud won't reset bindings and there were some mods messing with these files. And ofc verfying the gdc wont install the dxsetups.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Verify is stupid, I have corrupted a file on purpose and attempted to verify to see if the file would be restored by steam once, it "said" that a file was corrupt and would be redownloaded (could have been a different file I really don't know) but the file didn't get fixed. The only way to be sure that steam is replacing the file is to delete it. If you don't know which files to delete delete a bunch/all of them (obviously a specific bunch). Eg. if ui/crosshairs.dds fails consistency check and you haven't modified it, go delete THAT file, THEN verify, should be good, if it's still not working then the server is messed up or you have way deeper issues.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys you both have vaild points and sugestions, why not try the (faster) verify method first, then failing that try the fresh re-install method
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    Any idea how this works on Linux?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    @jones in linux it works completely the same way. The folders are different but hte solution is the same. Instead of c:\programs files, steam installs to ~/.local/share/Steam and ns2 settings are in ~/.config/Natural Selection 2 instead of %appdata%/Natural Selection 2

• AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I verified game cache and did a few of those other steps and haven't had any freezes since. Played a good 3 hours last night, everything ran very smoothly.

If I were a betting man, my money would definitely be on that optimization hiccup where the game ran it twice. Just for info, I did alt+tab while it was running, so that may have caused problems (though I think a lot of people must alt tab while waiting.) Probably best not to do this and just let the game do it's thing. Thanks guys.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Quickly made a thing:
    Batch script that will fully nuke NS2. Easy to use.
    Might wanna sticky that.

Can't be uploaded to forum. Had to put on ftp. If it displays as text just save to a .bat or .cmd file.
  • lordtankalotlordtankalot Join Date: 2017-06-04 Member: 230931Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Hi there.

I've noticed a number of people on the Tech forums have various different issues, which could be fixed by following these next steps:

Disable all mods from within NS2 first, and unsubscribe from any in your Mods list. (You must go through steam to properly unsubscribe!)

Then.....

Delete NS2 from Steam. Then do a manual NS2 Cleanup (this is not done when Steam deletes NS2 from your Library) like follows:

1) Delete NS2 from Steam the normal way.
    2) Go to your hidden folder where settings are saved C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming and Delete the 'Natural Selection 2' folder.
    3) Go to your SteamApps\common Directory and make sure you delete 'natural selection 2'
    4) Restart your PC (to be on the safe side)
    5) Reinstall NS2 fresh from a new download.

Try those steps. Chances are, your NS2 is now working fine! :D

If that does not help then post a thread with your issue, with as much evidence as possible (screenshots/video) and also run techsupport.exe in your NS2 Steam Directory. Then upload it somewhere for us to see & report back.

Thanks all!

How do i find hidden folder?
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Type %appdata% in your fileexplorer or go to http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+appdata
  • johnjordan001johnjordan001 sitka Join Date: 2018-02-22 Member: 238079Members
    online gaming is a medium which active your mind. you can enjoy the different type of gaming through Live Tv Kodi Add-ons. several things you can explore in it