Cannot play public games anymore

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    amoral wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Wait you joined a rookie friendly server whose name is "rookies R us", accrue a high KDR (by their opinion) and wonder why an admin kicks you??

:-?

got banned from the same server, if they asked me to tone it down, woulda gone gorge, but they bring out the ban hammer surprisingly quickly.

i didnt even get a warning, i think the server admin even said "Sharp is an amazing shot" before i even started playing. after the round was over i went aliens as my "toning it down" but still got banned..

nope, no warning either, still am just assuming that's why I was banned.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Wait you joined a rookie friendly server whose name is "rookies R us", accrue a high KDR (by their opinion) and wonder why an admin kicks you??

got banned from the same server, if they asked me to tone it down, woulda gone gorge, but they bring out the ban hammer surprisingly quickly.

i didnt even get a warning, i think the server admin even said "Sharp is an amazing shot" before i even started playing. after the round was over i went aliens as my "toning it down" but still got banned..

Wow.. That's pretty bad.
    But server operators are gonna run their servers however they please, i guess... Shame its like that though.

Still, I maintain that there are options on the table.
    I feel you though, as i prefer vanilla, non rookie, low playercount servers with low pings as well. But if its not available...
  • snozysnozy Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185318Members
    edited August 2013
    "But if its not available..." wait for the Biodome update to attract the masses and play some PR 1.0 while you wait.

Wow.. That's pretty bad.
    But server operators are gonna run their servers however they please, i guess... Shame its like that though.

Still, I maintain that there are options on the table.
    I feel you though, as i prefer vanilla, non rookie, low playercount servers with low pings as well. But if its not available...

I usually go rookie friendly that I'm familiar with, starting to branch out, but those I usually play on don't have rubberbanding issues, and I don't honestly see a difference in skill usually. and trying new servers is always a tossup whether or not lategame maxslot is playable. incidentally, rookies r us is extremely low level, from the 3-4 games I played on it, ping is nice, but it's a bunch of headless chickens running around.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131329/a-competitive-pub-server#latest

Efforts are being made to provide the pros with a place to play without limitations, but the onus is on all of you to make it work. If you insist on the instant gratification of joining an already fully populated server in order to start playing as soon as possible, you will continue to have crappy imbalanced games where the casuals resent (and ban) you.

I have been able to seed the server myself several times now, even though that sort of defeats the purpose. It's even been filled during simultaneous reddit pugs, so I know there are enough players out there.

The tools have been provided. Take responsibility, build a community. It is the only way forward.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    After getting banned for a misunderstanding in rookiesrus a 2 days ago I had a semi lengthy convo with the server operator last night. He's new to the game himself but seems like a good guy. Apparently all he wants is for skilled players not to go 20-1 but instead something like 20-6. His reasoning is when you are new and go 1-10 its much less demoralizing to new players to see the guy you are trying to kill with a lower KDR. I can understand his statement but disagree it's good to skill ban, it is what it is though. So just a heads up you will get banned if you go in there and pub stomp, you may want to avoid it if you get good KDR's in game. You also may want to check if the ban was perm. I think he was giving 1 hr temp bans to the players he skill banned but I'm not sure.

NS2 Diamonds is another server who is skill banning. Got banned there yesterday w/o even playing around after I had been playing there the last week or so. I learned they are banning all dn on site and I would assume all players who get high KDRs. I would suggest if you have to play there play there w/o a tag if you have one.

In the end I agree with sharp. You see mostly green servers now to play on that actually have slots you don't need to pay to play in and now the server admins are openly banning for players with too high of skill. Quite a sad shape this game appears to be in, every sale it appears to be getting worse (server choice wise).
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    EU ftw. Never seen anyone kicked due skill. Fana was a bit annoying dominating everyone with a lerk, but nobody tried kicking him. Sucks to be in your region I guess.

I'd say "well why would you go 30-1 before realizing it's not ok" here but yeah, easy for me to say.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    EU ftw. Never seen anyone kicked due skill. Fana was a bit annoying dominating everyone with a lerk, but nobody tried kicking him. Sucks to be in your region I guess.

I'd say "well why would you go 30-1 before realizing it's not ok" here but yeah, easy for me to say.

Care to suggest any particular EU servers to check out?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    current1y wrote: »

Care to suggest any particular EU servers to check out?

Well you can check the ones in this thread I guess, or bump it to ask for more: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131236/where-do-people-who-know-how-to-play-play

edit: goddawmn links assuming things on their own
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    And people wonder why there are players that fakenick when they play.... Nothing surprising about this post and its not going to change.. the same things happened in ns1, only difference in ns2 seems to be that the skill bar for pubs is set super low, so pretty much any comp player is going to offend.

I will say that I have seen some pretty rediculous stuff from some NS2 admins, from slaying every time you buy a SG/lifeform, to constantly being teleported into a pit, being ready roomed before every kill... I must say I am glad they dont have the ability to change keybinds anymore :S. But there is little point in this topic as nothing will change, people will run their servers as they see fit.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    A little off topic but if this game is going to be based off the previous one, the minimum slot server were 20 slots if I recall. So the concept on playing on a 12 slot server is nothing but NS2 competitive view. Later combat came out and the new ideal slot servers were 32.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Know pain wrote: »
    A little off topic but if this game is going to be based off the previous one, the minimum slot server were 20 slots if I recall. So the concept on playing on a 12 slot server is nothing but NS2 competitive view. Later combat came out and the new ideal slot servers were 32.

What are you talking about..? NS1 was also based on 6-8 player teams..
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    After getting banned for a misunderstanding in rookiesrus a 2 days ago I had a semi lengthy convo with the server operator last night. He's new to the game himself but seems like a good guy. Apparently all he wants is for skilled players not to go 20-1 but instead something like 20-6. His reasoning is when you are new and go 1-10 its much less demoralizing to new players to see the guy you are trying to kill with a lower KDR. I can understand his statement but disagree it's good to skill ban, it is what it is though. So just a heads up you will get banned if you go in there and pub stomp, you may want to avoid it if you get good KDR's in game. You also may want to check if the ban was perm. I think he was giving 1 hr temp bans to the players he skill banned but I'm not sure.

NS2 Diamonds is another server who is skill banning. Got banned there yesterday w/o even playing around after I had been playing there the last week or so. I learned they are banning all dn on site and I would assume all players who get high KDRs. I would suggest if you have to play there play there w/o a tag if you have one.

In the end I agree with sharp. You see mostly green servers now to play on that actually have slots you don't need to pay to play in and now the server admins are openly banning for players with too high of skill. Quite a sad shape this game appears to be in, every sale it appears to be getting worse (server choice wise).

yeah sorry to hear about the diamonds server, Decoy told me about the situation, apparently from what i heard, Villain, me, and ossified were playing on that server at the same time, but the admins had a particular problem with villain. for some reason they accused him of hacking saying that "any skulks that gets into a certain distance of him will automatically die" LOL!

because of villains actions of just playing on their server, they banned not only him, BUT ALL DN players regardless if they played on their sever. i know its their server, but seriously this is ridiculous, if anything this damages the ns2 community.

with that said, i do appreciate ns2 diamonds and rookie 4 us servers, as they do provide a place for rookies to play and have fun, what i want to point out is that every server admin in the ns2 community needs to realize that for every person they ban for being "too good" or something other than hacking/griefing/exploiting/trolling damages the community, period.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Know pain wrote: »

What are you talking about..? NS1 was also based on 6-8 player teams..

keyword is "if i can recall" he does not know for a fact
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited August 2013
    efl8g0.png

Right now there are a grand total of 3 north american servers that are non-modded, non-rookie, and don't have player rerouting. Where the fuck else are we supposed to play?

You can ignore that tbgclan one, doesnt allow good players either, got banned within 10 min cuz there were only floor skulks on at that time.

Cuel wrote: »
    I don't really care if I play on a green or white server, normally I have a rather good K/D and have never been banned, ever.

Probably because like me, you play on EU. Ive played on US a few times, less than 10 but Ive gotten banned 2 times, after that I just rather close the game again if there arent any servers worth playing on in EU.
    I play at tpg the most out of all the servers and don't have issues. In my experience they dont like when a team of people stack for multiple rounds but thats it.
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    I think we're having a labeling problem. Perhaps there's a more important label than "Rookie" or not. I think the more important label should describe the intentions that people have going in the game.

Everyone is presumably playing to have fun, but how people have fun varies from person to person. I'll make a post and see if we can get some insight on what people get from NS2.

yeah sorry to hear about the diamonds server, Decoy told me about the situation, apparently from what i heard, Villain, me, and ossified were playing on that server at the same time, but the admins had a particular problem with villain. for some reason they accused him of hacking saying that "any skulks that gets into a certain distance of him will automatically die" LOL!

because of villains actions of just playing on their server, they banned not only him, BUT ALL DN players regardless if they played on their sever. i know its their server, but seriously this is ridiculous, if anything this damages the ns2 community.

with that said, i do appreciate ns2 diamonds and rookie 4 us servers, as they do provide a place for rookies to play and have fun, what i want to point out is that every server admin in the ns2 community needs to realize that for every person they ban for being "too good" or something other than hacking/griefing/exploiting/trolling damages the community, period.

no real loss, iirc diamond has issues lategame for me.

tried connecting 3 days later, if he does temp bans,it must be new policy.
    :p need to up my game, getting banned from servers is starting to seem like a right of passage now.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited August 2013
    I think players should play the game in whatever way makes it fun, so long as they're not hacking or cheating. If you can go 50:1 while playing as a Fade or Lerk, and that's fun for you, then have at it.

That said, just think about the players around you from time to time. If there's ever a couple of rounds, or even one round, where you can avoid going Fade or Lerk, then don't evolve into one. Maybe try and find another way to help your team, whether gorging it up or trying something different. I'll be the first to admit that I'm the type of gamer that will take one of my skills and use it to the disadvantage of others. The best example I have is from MW2 - sometimes, I would noob tube and just wreck an opposing team with it, but I wouldn't do it all the time. I used it as a change of pace.

If I could rack up kills and dominate a game as a Fade, I would totally do it. It's fun to be able to win like that.

I know not everybody will agree with me on that and I'm not saying you have to hurt your fun just to appease others. I'm only saying to consider it from time to time.
    Enhance89 wrote: »
    I think players should play the game in whatever way makes it fun, so long as they're not hacking or cheating. If you can go 50:1 while playing as a Fade or Lerk, and that's fun for you, then have at it.

That said, just think about the players around you from time to time. If there's ever a couple of rounds, or even one round, where you can avoid going Fade or Lerk, then don't evolve into one. Maybe try and find another way to help your team, whether gorging it up or trying something different. I'll be the first to admit that I'm the type of gamer that will take one of my skills and use it to the disadvantage of others. The best example I have is from MW2 - sometimes, I would noob tube and just wreck an opposing team with it, but I wouldn't do it all the time. I used it as a change of pace.

If I could rack up kills and dominate a game as a Fade, I would totally do it. It's fun to be able to win like that.

I know not everybody will agree with me on that and I'm not saying you have to hurt your fun just to appease others. I'm only saying to consider it from time to time.

the problem with that is that you have players who can wrack up 10:1 kd with skulk or lmg. some that can do it with pistol only. I can gorge and do 10:0 while denying an entire side sometimes on some servers. and sometimes the skill stack you perceive is just one pro player dominating until the res differential makes it impossible for the other team to kill things.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited August 2013
    the problem with that is that you have players who can wrack up 10:1 kd with skulk or lmg. some that can do it with pistol only. I can gorge and do 10:0 while denying an entire side sometimes on some servers. and sometimes the skill stack you perceive is just one pro player dominating until the res differential makes it impossible for the other team to kill things.
    I believe that. In my experience though, the most dominant characters I come across are Fades. I know there are players that are really good at other classes, or even tons of classes. But, in my experience, the most devastating time and again ends up being Fade. And I've come up against some very good Gorges and even Marine lmg's, but I still have never seen domination like a Fade.
    Enhance89 wrote: »
    I believe that. In my experience though, the most dominant characters I come across are Fades. I know there are players that are really good at other classes, or even tons of classes. But, in my experience, the most devastating time and again ends up being Fade. And I've come up against some very good Gorges and even Marine lmg's, but I still have never seen domination like a Fade.

there are different kinds of domination. if I go 40:10 as a skulk when the rest of my team is in single digits and the other side has negative ratios, I still consider it a good run, skulks are meant to die. fades aren't. k/d isn't the best indicator when different lifeforms are involved. sometimes kill count is more important.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members

I was actually playing with decoy a while ago on diamonds, and suddenly he was gone, I wonder if he got banned? He was doing much better than anyone in the server, and I heard several people complain about how he never misses, how annoying he is etc lol.. the funny thing his team (marines) was losing to my team, despite decoy going something like 45:5. I didn't have a problem with him being there, but others were definitely getting pissed.

I think the moral here is this: low to medium-low skill players simply do not mix with high skilled players. There is no way to have games go smoothly when you mix such extremes. The only solution I see is to do something like the OP suggested and have 3 server categories. Rookie servers, intermediate, and pro. Intermediate will get the most attention quite obviously but at least then the rookies have a place to go if they are getting stomped, back to the rookie servers. And the pros have a place to play with others on their level, without worrying about getting banned. Simple enough?
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You have to realise that for rookie players to play against you is as much fun as playing against an amibot user.
    So you get banned as would any cheater. Whether yu cheat or not (which you don't) is not relevant.
    gnoarch wrote: »
    You have to realise that for rookie players to play against you is as much fun as playing against an amibot user.
    So you get banned as would any cheater. Whether yu cheat or not (which you don't) is not relevant.

it's just a bit different. experience is not a cheat, server operators are completely in their own rights to ban whomever they want, whether or not they are justified is open to discussion. when they ban without warning is not.

a rookie friendly tag does not equate to rookie only. if they label their server as rookie only, I'll avoid it so long as im not desperate for a server, if I am, I'll comm, or go gorge, or practice my pistol. or just miss a lot I.guess. but no warning bans don't help anyone. im still banned from rookiesrus, and still have no idea why. and that servers games will still be barely recognizable as ns2 a year down the road unless they fix theur admin policy.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I join both rookie and non rookie friendly servers and see no difference in player skill either way, it is just random if a server is going to be populated with people that play the game well or not. I am all up for removing the rookie server tag as I think it offers zero value to the community and only servers to frustrate new players through false expectations.

Now the rookie tag on players I think offers some benefit in identifying individuals that may need help but it should stay on for much longer then it does currently, you just can't become proficient at the game in a few hours.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    "it is just random if a server is going to be populated with people that play the game well or not"
    This isnt true and depend on time.

But i agree with rookie tag.
    A 1st step would be removing the rookie-options entry.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kicking people for being too good is an admin choice, nothing UWE can do about it. The "rookie friendly" tag does not inherently mean that only rookies are allowed to play there, it's intended just as a way to encourage new players to join those servers first.