Cannot play public games anymore

Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
Every server i attempt to join is either Full/Full with reserved slots/rookie "FRIENDLY"/unpopulated/under populated/high pings

Rookie friendly servers imo are a complete joke, i cannot play in them without getting banned or already banned for accusation of hacking or being "too good"
can someone explain to me why ns2 absolutely needs rookie servers at this point? why so many?, all the major servers apart from KKG have me listed as banned for not being "rookie enough" i try my best to avoid these servers but if i want to play ns2 at the moment im left with 2 choices, play the rookie server, or try again some other time.

when i join rookie friendly servers im under the impression that im ALLOWED to join, as long as i expect to play with rookies and be okay with it, i was in this one server which one of the rules was something like good players who give unhelpful advice will be kicked/ban, i did not do this, i just played and got banned for going 24-2 as marine, even tho i switched to aliens the next round they proceed to kick me (server: rookies R us)

my suggestion is to remove this stupid green mechanic that nobody i know finds helpful, a 4 hour green name is just plain stupid and should ATLEAST be increased to 50+hours, or have the option for server admins to list
Pro server (red)
rookie friendly(blue or some other color)
Rookie only(green) <and only players listed with below X amount of hours will be auto kicked

ns2 is the only game that i have been banned from a server for "being too good" what makes a player a rookie anyway?
bad shot?
doesnt know enough about the game?
both?
i ask because i know for a fact that the people i was playing with knew exactly what to do in the game, they just cant aim as well, im pretty sure UWE put this system in so that people who are experienced will teach the rookie about the game, and not how to aim

what do you think?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    But wouldn't they still kick you if you are "too good" though?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    For me "Rookie friendly" just means the same as "Fun server" : A place where Pros and Rookies have fun together and learn things from each other. Ofc you should avoid to go e.g. 30/1 . But there are so many server out there without any restrictions and friendly ppl playing on them. Just try to find one, also maybe join a server with e.g 5 ppl so that this server gets filled.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    If you're not joining a server because it's low pop., chances are there are dozens just like you spamming the same full servers to try and find a spot. Dozens of you that would probably play well together. Instead, those low pop servers stay empty and people get frustrated, just like this.

Earlier, I joined a server that had five people. A couple minutes later, it was 8v8 and we played two really good games. Even though my team lost both times, they were balanced and fun. I seriously recommend joining low pop. servers.

For me, Rookie friendly is exactly as the name implies - it's a place for rookies to go and learn without being berated or dominated. I was on one the other day and I played three straight alien games, twice I had the same guy on my team, and twice he played the class he plays best - lerk. He had a combined 80-5 k:d ratio in those two games and we dominated. For me, that's just not right, and really has no place on a rookie server. They're not the only open servers. I find a non-rookie server within a couple of minutes every time I log on, so I seriously doubt it's that big of an issue.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Here’s my view, if you think fun is going into a server stomping everyone and going 30/0 then yes you’re going to have problems. If you want to do that go play combat.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited August 2013
    kouji san you make a good point, however i have been kicked in another server for "not being a rookie" :\ what the hell does that even mean? not missing enough bullets or knowing too much about the game? how the hell are rookies expected to learn if they are only playing and learning off of other rookies.

your just not going to learn enough about the game when you play with the same people who dont know much about the game

i agree with you ghoul i also have that impression on rookie friendly servers, and i did not want to go 24-2 my commander asked me to stay in reactor for some backup and skulks came in 1 at a time everytime i reloaded, i didnt intentionally go inside their base until my commander said so.

i also changed my mouse sensitivity just practicing getting used to it while just having a little bit of fun.
    Know pain wrote: »
    Here’s my view, if you think fun is going into a server stomping everyone and going 30/0 then yes you’re going to have problems. If you want to do that go play combat.

i dont really think its fun going 30/0.... did you not read my post? i said the reason why i join a rookie friendly server, i also continued to play in that server because one of the rules implied that a good player is welcomed as long as they teach other rookies how to play, in which i did.. i told the commander to place a phase gate in reactor instead of atrium as it will allow us to hold more RT's.. is that not giving good advice?

as far as the combat goes, again i do not want to just get frags it just so happens that i do, i like the strategy element of the game and combat imo is extremely boring.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    The problem is that ns2 is a game where you need mapcontrol and resources to win a game. so if one side has a player that is absolutly outstanding and above the level of the others on the server it could be a gg right in minute 6 or 7. thats a common problem. And its not very funny for the enemys to get killed and killed again by one guy and holding only 10% of the map. Let me guess when you changed to the aliens side the aliens won right? So you were the reason for the imbalance of the server. i dont want to say that it is good to kick people. but i can understand them. 3 days ago i was on a rookie server and got 35:1 as marine and killed 3 fades in a 1vs1. I felt bad because it is not fun for me to stomp rookies. everytime i kill a fade i got the bad feeling that i am the reason because ns2 lost another new player.
    Rammler wrote: »
    The problem is that ns2 is a game where you need mapcontrol and resources to win a game. so if one side has a player that is absolutly outstanding and above the level of the others on the server it could be a gg right in minute 6 or 7. thats a common problem. And its not very funny for the enemys to get killed and killed again by one guy and holding only 10% of the map. Let me guess when you changed to the aliens side the aliens won right? So you were the reason for the imbalance of the server. i dont want to say that it is good to kick people. but i can understand them. 3 days ago i was on a rookie server and got 35:1 as marine and killed 3 fades in a 1vs1. I felt bad because it is not fun for me to stomp rookies. everytime i kill a fade i got the bad feeling that i am the reason because ns2 lost another new player.

nope, when i changed to aliens i got kicked before the match started.... and i totally get that feeling when i 1v2 as a marine killing a fade and a lerk with my shotgun, but think about it, you either have a choice, dont play in the server and let them have fun, or play in the server and win more engagements, either way theres going to be someone NOT playing because of the skill gap
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its pretty simple. Look most servers hold 2-3 reserve slots, so, if you see a server 23/24 or 22/24, don't join because you won't be able too, instead wait till its at 21/24 and VOILA you're in.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Wait you joined a rookie friendly server whose name is "rookies R us", accrue a high KDR (by their opinion) and wonder why an admin kicks you??
    :-?
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Wait you joined a rookie friendly server whose name is "rookies R us", accrue a high KDR (by their opinion) and wonder why an admin kicks you??

That's a very shallow and subjective way of summarizing his post, but it's not what he is asking.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While I do agree with have to many rookie servers, there is no need to remove the function entirely.

He is complaining for a problem which doesnt exist. If there are 4/18 servers non rookie, seed them damn it. Thats easy. I dont see the problem.
    Now if the only available servers were 20+ I can somewhat imagine. Id not want to queue such a disaster myself also.
    You can even seed empty servers
  • princessprincess Yaaar&#33; Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I think it's a shame you haven't found a server with a good community backing. There are some good ones out there but I appreciate it's not easy finding them.

I know in the YO gaming community we welcome new players, mediocre players, awful aimers and amazing aimers, so long as everyone gets along and has a nice time!

The key to a good NS2 game (in my opinion) is a team of mixed skills but excellent communication, and that's what we encourage. Hope you manage to find a friendly server open to all abilities and welcoming to everyone. You can have fun no matter what the outcome with the right people.

What makes a player a rookie? Well, being new to the game and having to learn the many different ways games can play out, I guess... but we're all learning all the time. Sounds to me like you need to keep searching for somewhere to play that welcomes all different players.

Failing that, if public server games aren't for you, you could try joining some competitive communities like ENSL if you're in Europe :)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    efl8g0.png

Right now there are a grand total of 3 north american servers that are non-modded, non-rookie, and don't have player rerouting. Where the fuck else are we supposed to play?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Them servers be full yo, but joking aside... Those are the only servers around you sub 100ms? 385 servers seems correct as well, that's terribad for your area :(
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    unfortunately, the developers have not created a consistent experience

if you start having standards at all for how you want your games to be, your list of valid servers will be size 0

funny thing is we cannot play the game the way its meant to be played since only the 12v12 servers are ever active
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Them servers be full yo, but joking aside... Those are the only servers around you sub 100ms? 385 servers seems correct as well, that's terribad for your area :(

Try playing from Brazil. Have fun with 4-5 servers below 100 ms (and terrible performance) and everything else at 170 ms, or 140 ms if you're really lucky on a good day.

Also, out of these 4-5 servers, only one or two is usually populated. With rookies. I heard it's not dissimilar from regions like Asia or Australia.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013

Yep. West coast NA.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really don't like 20 people servers. I NEVER join 24 servers and only play on 20 if there is REALLY no other server to join.
    And there are so many 20-24 server out there, it feels like they are taking players away from the empty servers.
    I also have to force join a rookie server because there is a lack of server with people in them. Not every day I want to try explain stuff for them rookies, I try some days at least.
    I am also a person that try join on servers with few people on to fill the server. But some people just don't wanna sit around and wait, or have a "fun" game while waiting for more peeps.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

That's the what it looks like for me always. West coast NA.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Right now there are a grand total of 3 north american servers that are non-modded, non-rookie, and don't have player rerouting.
    Don't filter out modded servers. Most modded servers aren't running any mods that would affect the gameplay. In fact, I've only ever seen one (LuckyF*ers). All the others are just administrative mods.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not, when I said unmoddded I was referring to the one combat server that is on the list xD
    Kattcattis wrote: »
    I really don't like 20 people servers. I NEVER join 24 servers and only play on 20 if there is REALLY no other server to join.
    And there are so many 20-24 server out there, it feels like they are taking players away from the empty servers.
    I also have to force join a rookie server because there is a lack of server with people in them. Not every day I want to try explain stuff for them rookies, I try some days at least.
    I am also a person that try join on servers with few people on to fill the server. But some people just don't wanna sit around and wait, or have a "fun" game while waiting for more peeps.

I gave up on being able to play a public match that had less than 20 people in it a loooooooooong time ago. It's a huge part of the reason that servers are so unpopulated... everyone crams into these servers that can be 2 or 3 times the standard playercount. Back when the Onos Bar server was up, they'd have enough people in their server to have 2 6v6 matches going and there would still be enough players left over to seed another server with a 4v4 match.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't really care if I play on a green or white server, normally I have a rather good K/D and have never been banned, ever.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

Right now there are a grand total of 3 north american servers that are non-modded, non-rookie, and don't have player rerouting. Where the fuck else are we supposed to play?
    Eh... that wasn't my point, though?

If the server name clearly depicts that its meant for rookies that doesn't mean you can't play on it.... you just can't stomp them and expect an admin to not react?
    If you can't find a way to not do this (gorge, command, support only etc) then you shouldn't find the admin's actions unreasonable, imo.

I also live on the west coast and experience the same issue with servers... except that i've never been kicked. (generally am trying to teach rookies)
    Lastly, you can definitely play 8-10 of those servers (sub 130 ms) and have an enjoyable experience... but if your tastes are filtering out options for you (non-modded, non-rookie, and don't have player rerouting.) then yea.. you're not going to find anything but empty UWE official servers that you can seed... like i do! :)
    edited August 2013
    My tastes have nothing to do with filtering out options.. I have no issues playing on a rookie server. But if we're taking the side that experienced players don't belong on rookie servers, then that limits the options significantly. Modded servers are fine, I just added that qualifier so the 2 combat servers wouldn't be included in the count of available servers. The KKG servers are widely considered to be run terribly, and there is absolutely no one who likes the player redirection. So if you want to play NS2 without fear of being kicked or banned for being too good/not paying for a reserved slot, then you have about 3 options from the west coast.

I don't really understand the "you can play there, just don't stomp them" mentality. What are we supposed to do then? Intentionally miss? Go pistol + axe only? Only command and play gorge?

Sure you can seed a server, but that takes time and isn't even guaranteed to work. The /r/ns2 hangout server is the only one I've ever successfully seeded and that's just because of the community that surrounds the reddit servers in particular. It's getting to the point where it's nigh on impossible to reliably play a decent NS2 game outside of the reddit servers, and that's a pretty huge problem if we're trying to retain players.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Play on TBG or voogru. As for mods, if you are some sort of purist who doesnt want to play on a server running a useful admin mod that has no impact on gameplay then it sucks to be you.
    edited August 2013
    Regarding player redirection and reserved slots: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2137548/#Comment_2137548

Regarding the "what are we supposed to do then?" comment... like i said either you play with higher pings, buy your own server, or seed an empty one. Seeding an empty one with 2 other friends will generally fill a server after 15 minutes in my experience, though.. And if you ever need a UWE Official server admin, feel free to contact me on steam or through the NS2 Admin server group.

But if you forgo those above options and must play on a dedicated rookie server that goes so far as to designate itself as such in the server name... then yes, you are expected to follow the expectations of that server admin i suppose.
    Watch @Virsoul 's streams for how to follow said expectations... he's amazingly skilled yet pubs constantly and never manages to actually stomp a server - even though he could without trying! People who know of him really appreciate this.
    ironhorse, sure a server "rookies R US" is expected to be a highly rookie server, however at the time there was no other servers, also when i joined the server one of the rules WELCOMED good players as long as they give helpful advice, which i did, but it seems that i was not "rookie enough" or "too good"

im not asking for an unban or anything of the sorts, im just stating that there is a problem with the server admin community, im not the ONLY one who is banned from more then 4 different servers for "not being rookie enough or too good" i do play in a community of pugs. i know many comp players that are banned from more then 3 of the already few servers

players like me can only play in pugs or scrims for many reasons
    24 player is just not the same as a good 6v6-8v8
    rookie friendly....I mean rookie only.
    bad pings

why is 24 player server bad?
    -Longer turtles
    -Degrade performance in both client (FPS) and server (rubberbanding, redplug)
    -Decreased possible populated servers, IMO its better to have SIX 6v6 player servers than it is to have THREE 12v12 servers full
    -Your actions have less impact
    -Commander will most likely Ignore your requests for meds/ammo/pg placements as there are 10 other marines asking for the same thing
    -Speaking of which trying to supply 10 different marines with meds/ammo can get QUITE expensive.
    _Less map awareness, its very hard to keep track on whats happening everywhere in the map in a 12v12 game
    -6v6 games are okay with 1 ip, 2 ip is recommended, where in 12v12 there should be atleast 2 ip's i have seen 3 ip's requested, this is again ANOTHER expense due to too many players on marines, noticing the balance issues come into play with increased players? i cannot imagine how many ip's are required for a 32 player slot server, or how expensive medding everyone can be

-Maps would need to be redesigned/bigger in order for a lerk to fly somewhat freely from room to room without having 5 marines or more instantly shooting at you
    -killing 1 fade out of 11 is not going to have as big of an impact as killing 1 fade out of 6 (again your actions would have less impact)
    -noobs have a harder time learning, as 12v12 they will spend more time being Dead then spend by walking around exploring the map -former noob, heard from other noobs
    -Less strategy, in a 6v6 you can specifically say 2 go hub, 2 of you go to ET, and 1 guy go rapair room by calling out their individual names before the game starts, try doing that in a 12v12.
    -its easier to have 6 people follow orders like "everyone attack their base" than have 12 people, if only 4 people attack their base in a 6v6 its still the majority, whereas 12v12 it will be a minority and will not have an as big of an impact
    -6v6 organized chatter....... 12v12: WHERES WEAPONS 3?!?!? EXO?!?! JETS?!?! CAN I HAVEZ JETS? WHERES MY DUALSSS? oh we dont have a 2nd chair? why nottt? < from 5 different poeple

The only advantages a 12v12 game or more will get you are:
    -Really skilled players will be less likely to shift the battle in his favour due to having less impact in the game
    -More teamwork is required, honestly is this really an advantage? trying to get the majority of a 12v12 player game to do what you ask is very frustrating as a commander

out of 1200 i have put in ns2, 800 of them are from private pugs/scrims, i do not intentionally join a public server to pub stomp, i join them because the small community i play with are not available to play

p.s i dont want a reply saying "too bad you cant enjoy 24 player server" because again its not just me that dislikes 24 player server, its many of us, most of us just dont post on these forums because i qoute "the ns2 forums is the final boss of the internet" or "the ns2 forums is the end of the internet" <not my words
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

got banned from the same server, if they asked me to tone it down, woulda gone gorge, but they bring out the ban hammer surprisingly quickly.
    amoral wrote: »

got banned from the same server, if they asked me to tone it down, woulda gone gorge, but they bring out the ban hammer surprisingly quickly.

i didnt even get a warning, i think the server admin even said "Sharp is an amazing shot" before i even started playing. after the round was over i went aliens as my "toning it down" but still got banned..