NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2013
    Its coming along really nicely.
    One thing i did notice is that horizontal cross spawns resulted in a much more balanced game. Both teams have equal access to the north and south of the map. I'd actually suggest you try it so command is marine start and hanger bay and control are random alien starts.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^^ That could be quite a good solution to some of the problems kodiak has been having for a while. We can give it a run or two and see how it feels.

Really like the new rr, very green and fits nicely into what you have going on in the biodomes. Only things I can think of as crits are that the 'dirt' felt a bit flat and unnatural, and I feel there needs to be some sublte lighting around the various team joins/random etc just to add a bit of interest and draw the eye towards them.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah might try that with the next update I guess it does make sense. Stuck with the dirt texture unfortunately unless someone is willing to be kind :D. Still playing with the lighting on there but never sure my lighting skills are pants but will play around with it some more

Those flowers are just geometry models, those are the low vert count ones think each one is only 64ish the original ones were much prettier ! but were around 400! and those lights are just a bunch of other props stuck together that seem to fit the part.

Next update btw will be to the newly added section ! so its not an outdoor area of the map *well it will contain some views* but will finally make a start on corridors and rooms lol ! no more landscape gardening NS2 style
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    This looks really great. I'm excited to play with a completely different atmosphere. I think this is going to be quite different from Biodome, I don't imagine many wooded areas like this to run around in. Using your skulk to take advantage of the shoot-through plant geometry should be really fun.

I'm also very curious about playing on a map this small! (Or is it less small than I think I'm seeing)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think it's not as small as you suspect. Kodiak is pretty much a regular size map.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    The map is smaller than mineshaft last time I checked (did an overlay of each map, but it was a while ago).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Have you considered removing Hanger Bay and instead moving Docking over around where Observation is? If it is still unbalanced up there it could be a possible solution. I find that if Aliens don't start on the left side of the map it is a lot more biased towards Marines.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    edited August 2013
    needs more fruits on the trees
    lol i told you about the fruit trees !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have but the entire top is going to be redone (again) anyway lol. Observation and Docking are supposed to be one massive section. The next change I will be doing to the northern part of the map will shrink the map again (in some ways).
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here you go, last sunday's playtest vid!

• KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    Goodie, just as i got bored. :D
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited August 2013
    Here you go, last sunday's playtest vid!

i laughed a lot... you can see real epic aim at around ~6 min mark :P
    but really nice playtest... hope to give you something for playtesting in some weeks. :)

• DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Real epic aim at around ~6 min mark :P

Frantically clicking makes my mouse jump all over the place. Makes my my bad aim worse. XD Maybe I should fill it with lead.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Its moving along nicely. Very cool stuff :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey the water mod is working nicely now if you want to use it :D
    edited August 2013
    It would depend on if the main game updates would end up breaking the mod at all. But it does look nice from the pictures on steam.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Impromptu Saturday Sunday Playtest ;)
    Another Sunday another update!
    version 1.15!
    Fleshed out surface access techpoint (still greyboxed but more detailed now)
    Removed junction / extended Tunnel B5 (TB5)
    Routes from C Bio and Water Production into TB5 (placeholder basic geo added)
    Added more cover around the powernode in TB5
    Central Biodome sound effect fixed so should work now
    Command techpoint moved closer to Water production and the room rotated 90 degrees clockwise
    Elevators removed and new room "Checkpoint" added. Contains an RT and gives a link from N bio to Command and "Biodome" (requires a name! suggestions please)
    Astroid tracking is now a Techpoint (takes over from docking which has now been removed)
    Astroid tracking basic geo
    New Biodome area is basic geo aswell

KODIAK_N_PART_OF_MAP.png
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Big changes i like it, can't wait to try
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I love the changes, and even the new northern section with more "biodome" appearance looks great.
    August 11th match.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I still think asteroid tracking isn't needed. I know you like the long games so I can see your reluctance for making it a 4 tp map. But You're going to have a lot less balance issues to consider if you just have an RT in biodome.
    edited August 2013
    Update 1.16
    The map is now 4 techpoints
    Marine spawn is fixed in command
    Aliens could randomly spawn at either surface / control / hangar however they seem to mainly spawn at control
    Removed astroid tracking.
    Moved astroid tracking RT in to the biodome.
    Improved occlusion geo

kodiak_minimap_new.png
    Due to the naming collision I'm calling the new biodome the unicorn biodome. :D
    August 13th match. Playing catchup, will have some videos with the new layout soon!
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Ugh... you play the whole map in alien vision :(
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I usually play in alien vision all the time except in Kodiak.