Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    also does level 3 shotgun kill a fade in 2 hits anymore? because it took 4 to kill gaus waffle today 360/80 = rape.
  • wb_spankwb_spank Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186056Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    again what was the original damage for flamethrowers? can we please review flamethrower damage, it is been nerfed to the ground.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Snipo wrote: »
    ^-- DISAFUCKINGREEE =]

you are crazy if you think the game is balanced right now, aura on some fade like tocz thats just going to track you down and rape you, is GG, you would know being an OPd FADE :)
    there are far less good marines, than good over powered fades out there.

Yeah, well... I mean, it's a lot better than before where marines would win the moment they got flamethrowers/GLs/exos. Right now there are two problems: near-invincible fades and GLs destroying hives crazy fast.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited July 2013
    wb_spank wrote: »
    again what was the original damage for flamethrowers? can we please review flamethrower damage, it is been nerfed to the ground.
    value page is not loading for me so Greeds correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we nerfed it from 30 down to 15 and adjusted width to go along with same values from vanilla.

To Snipo and StrikerX3 both of you are right, yes while balance looks good stats wise, gameplay tells a different story we realize there is a problem with OP fades, GLs etc, we will talk about it in our next meeting ( tomorrow if nothing else comes up) and hopefully come up with a good fix. but believe it or not stats from day to day actually show more marine wins so I'm not sure what to do here it isn't as simple as lower fade's health cause it might tip balance to marines' favor even more.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most marine wins are due to JP/GLs with cover from exos in overtime, at least from my experience this weekend. Not even a couple of sneaky Onos, gorges and skulks were fast enough to kill the marine base in time.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Why can't you go gorge in overtime? Is Bile Bomb illegal?

Also is there a public place to view stats by map?
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

Also is there a public place to view stats by map?

hmm will look into it, no lock was put in place as far as I know.

No there isn't but hit me up on steam when I'm online and I'll help ya out.

marines win, when a good fade isn't around... yes they are bound to go play another game!

2 DIRECT level 3 shotgun blasts should kill a level 13 fade. it doesn't right now that is a problem. 2 of those shots should be death to anything but an onos... can we all agree on that? and wb_spank i miss the old flamethrower! it helped kill fades.

Jibrail MCMLXXXIV please fix!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I would bring back the stock flames but make the point requirement higher. If it cost 2-3 points that would fix the problem of marines getting it to early and rolling alines. You could make it cost 2 but require w1 and a1.
    edited July 2013
    DarkSeraph wrote: »

I'm far more effective as a Fade. You know, someone has to try to defend the hive, because it's impossible to race against GLs, especially with the nerfed Onos damage.
    2 DIRECT level 3 shotgun blasts should kill a level 13 fade. it doesn't right now that is a problem. 2 of those shots should be death to anything but an onos... can we all agree on that? and wb_spank i miss the old flamethrower! it helped kill fades.

Agreed.

30 damage per tick on the flamethrower is excessive. Maybe 20 or 25?
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Would it be possible to have the old fade movement back please?

The already upgraded version drains too much energy and makes the fade less useful in close combat, before you could jump around and make quick attacks and know where you'll pop up, side step etc, uwe should of never changed it.
  • GaussWaffleGaussWaffle Join Date: 2008-02-22 Member: 63708Members
    edited July 2013
    b250 introduced a shotgun that took a 18% damage nerf, but a 25% attack speed buff. The end result is a weapon with a 7% increase in DPS. lvl 3 shotguns in this format deal 221 damage with all pellets. lvl 13 carapace fades have 350 hp and 100 armor, for 550 effective HP against non-minigun weapons (discluding pistols). End result: it takes 43 shotgun pellets to kill a lvl 13 cara fade with lvl 3 shotguns. In meat shots, that is 2 full shots (17x2) + 9 extra pellets, or a little above half of another shot. Given the increased fire rate, 2.5 shots to down a fade is not unrealistic or impossible. With that said, I would be ok with a small boost to shotgun damage, something like making the pellet dmg go from 10/11/12/13 to 11/12/13/14 in combat. It doesn't follow the 10% rule, but it would greatly help marines against fades and onos.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    We've published a small balance update - here are the changes:
    - Increased fade cost to 4
    - Increased flamethrower damage from 15 to 20.

Thanks for your thoughts GaussWaffle, I think we'll see if we can do something to buff the shotgun in our next update.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to have the old fade movement back please?

The already upgraded version drains too much energy and makes the fade less useful in close combat, before you could jump around and make quick attacks and know where you'll pop up, side step etc, uwe should of never changed it.

Disagree, if you utilize blink + space bar spam you'll have tons of energy. The problem is not with the fade. Also remember that FT's drain tons of energy.

^ I don't feel like shotgun need an increase, two marines should have no problem taking down a medium fade and in combat most marines do not walk alone. The question is if a single marine should be able to take down a fade or not. With the 4 points increase for fades and FT damage I feel like shotguns are fine. They are usually easy targets if you know how to read the map and their escape routes, at least when jetpacks are out.

Another concern is with the paper weight onos who feels totally useless at the moment. Also fades does barely any damage to the CC or armory, something you might consider.

Cuel wrote: »

Another concern is with the paper weight onos who feels totally useless at the moment. Also fades does barely any damage to the CC or armory, something you might consider.

Fades are designed to be poor vs. buildings. They are killers, not building killers.

Onos are actually not too far off right now. If anything, devour needs to be nerfed in some fashion. They serve the purpose of being a damage sink for other aliens, while still providing some support themselves. They are a low-skill cap alien lifeform in this game and that's just the way it is right now.

• CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes of course, but it's a design directed at classic. In combat it makes little to no sense when you barely do any damage at the cc, while every single marine can output great damage on the hive
    edited July 2013
    Guys I'm wondering if some of you would be interested in joining a small test hopefully today?
    keep an eye here during the day for updates on that.

EDIT:
    Had a quick testing, thanks Mr.P and GaussWaffle for helping out, will pass those notes on to Greeds or Jim once I meet them.
    I could help Jibrail, depending on the time.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Dang, would join up but Thursdays are for the bar...
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I've been playing combat more than vanilla lately. I really like it.

I have got a quality of life question / suggestion:

Would it be possible through map design to have a safe spawn area?
    By this I mean a room or rooms with one way glass walls connecting to the area with the hive / CC & armoury. You could see out of your own spawn room, but no one can see in to it.
    Also the exits are one way too, once you leave spawn, you can't walk back in to it. (No using it as a safe place to regen, or camp for ambushes)
    I'd think you would want very large exits, or the entire adjoining walls to the spawn room to be the one way exit barrier. This prevents door way camping as there would be too bigger area where people could exit.

The reason for this is, spawn camping is no fun. I've seen it with grenades / exos / anything vs aliens, and I've seen it with devour vs marines. By this I mean they actively spawn camp and don't attack the hive or chair at all.
    People can't help themselves when it comes to these things so maybe map design could prevent it?

any update on the shotgun guys? i need to kill a fade in 2 shots please.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Seahunts wrote: »
    I've been playing combat more than vanilla lately. I really like it.

I have got a quality of life question / suggestion:

Would it be possible through map design to have a safe spawn area?
    By this I mean a room or rooms with one way glass walls connecting to the area with the hive / CC & armoury. You could see out of your own spawn room, but no one can see in to it.
    Also the exits are one way too, once you leave spawn, you can't walk back in to it. (No using it as a safe place to regen, or camp for ambushes)
    I'd think you would want very large exits, or the entire adjoining walls to the spawn room to be the one way exit barrier. This prevents door way camping as there would be too bigger area where people could exit.

The reason for this is, spawn camping is no fun. I've seen it with grenades / exos / anything vs aliens, and I've seen it with devour vs marines. By this I mean they actively spawn camp and don't attack the hive or chair at all.
    People can't help themselves when it comes to these things so maybe map design could prevent it?

This is just the way ns2 is, it's not spawn camping thats going on, they're attacking your base which you happen to spawn in, i get it may seem frustrating but it's just the way it is and no one is going to change maps at this point to fix something that ain't broke.
  • wb_spankwb_spank Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186056Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    is it possible to make a tooltip for new players on how to use the menu to buy upgrades with their new points? And some description on what overtime means? just for the new influx of players that are coming. trying to reduce the amount of frustrations for new people, hopefully they will stay and become regular players.
    any update on the shotgun guys? i need to kill a fade in 2 shots please.

There've been discussions to lower fade HP via biomass, and to possibly buff shotgun damage slightly. If both suggestions go through then the fade will die in 2 shots + 3 pellets vs. lvl 3 shotties. Which is a lot better than the current 2 shots + 9 pellets.

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    There've been discussions to lower fade HP via biomass, and to possibly buff shotgun damage slightly. If both suggestions go through then the fade will die in 2 shots + 3 pellets vs. lvl 3 shotties. Which is a lot better than the current 2 shots + 9 pellets.

These changes are great! I personally feel very frustrated as a marine these days. My only suggestion is to make the changes gradually. When you change multiple things at once it's much more likely balance will get out of wack, than if you add one of these changes at a time until the game seems more balanced.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Can devour range get nerfed. It's pretty ridiculous ATM. Got devoured from like 20 feet above an onos earlier.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Can devour range get nerfed. It's pretty ridiculous ATM. Got devoured from like 20 feet above an onos earlier.

Range and a possible cooldown have been discussed, but are not likely to be changed soon
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    1) why is the power node auto rebuild?
    2) why is the damage number still showing random numbers
    3) the resupply still lags, sometimes not getting med quick enough
    4) flamethrower is overpowered right now, must be due to the gay pride month.

NS-Soldier wrote: »
    1) why is the power node auto rebuild?

Let me rephrase that:
    1) why power node?

Seriously, all that does is makes noobs waste their time attacking something that provides a very short period of darkness. Even if they gave a few XP it would still be pretty useless as they are stealing focus from those players from the actual objective of destroying the enemy base.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    What do you guys think about chaning EMP to an EMP-field,
    so when somebody attacks you it get EMP'd?