Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anyone else feel like regen is pretty much useless now? Especially for onos, some maps aren\t designed so that the onos can constantly run back to the hive and heal. Is there a way to increase the regen when out of combat?

Also please do something about cargo on veil combat, it's ridiculous how easy it is to take down the hive as a marine. There's also a spot on the right side of control where it's very common to get stuck in the wall.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    They only make the mod, not the maps...
    Ok. Figured whoever made it reads this thread
  • GaussWaffleGaussWaffle Join Date: 2008-02-22 Member: 63708Members
    Cuel wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like regen is pretty much useless now? Especially for onos, some maps aren\t designed so that the onos can constantly run back to the hive and heal. Is there a way to increase the regen when out of combat?

Also please do something about cargo on veil combat, it's ridiculous how easy it is to take down the hive as a marine. There's also a spot on the right side of control where it's very common to get stuck in the wall.

They want to keep stuff like regen values at vanilla if possible. I agree regen is lackluster on Fade and Onos (and lerk), but remember it is a big advantage to have both carapace and regen...so it's not the biggest deal in the world

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited July 2013
    Win ratio on veil combat is 51% aliens vs 49% marines ( over 1000 rounds in total ) that is a difference of 14 rounds for the aliens, sure its ridiculously easy to attack the Hive once you are in Cargo but unlike to other maps its a long way from marine start to alien start so it works out quite well.

As for regen there are no plans to change it for now, at least not for the next version.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Jibrail wrote: »
    Win ratio on veil combat is 51% aliens vs 49% marines ( over 1000 rounds in total ) that is a difference of 14 rounds for the aliens, sure its ridiculously easy to attack the Hive once you are in Cargo but unlike to other maps its a long way from marine start to alien start so it works out quite well.

As for regen there are no plans to change it for now, at least not for the next version.

What about the other maps, like Core? I think Veil has one of the larger transit times between bases - but I haven't measured yet. I also hate that there is only one path into hive for EXO...

• HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you guys have any support for mod loading? I am using Sewlek's (now official) Simple Mod Framework to load my scoreboard badge mod, but it does not seem to work with Combat. Do you have an alternative to loading mods or plan to add this functionality?
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    edited July 2013
    @Huze: 'Modding the Mod' is something we've always wanted to support, but it's tricky because most of our hooks are using fsfod's framework - at the moment you might get something out of using sewlek's framework - the next update I do I'll try and improve the support there - I think we have some old versions of PreLoadMod and PostLoadMod included with Combat so I'll remove those and the ones in 'core' can take over and it should behave as normal.

@ZeroIbis: thanks for all the error reports. I've looked through them and unfortunately some of them are going to be hard/impossible to fix unless I can find out what specifically causes them. They appear to be occurring in low-level NS2 code (maybe when you attack a player at the moment they disconnect or something?). The Soundinfo bugs I think I can resolve - I'll try and track down the right version of fmod designer so I can make the correct .soundinfo files.
  • SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    JimWest wrote: »
    Pal you`re not the only one playing this game, even if you do so.
    if the stats are ok we surely not change that.

To be honest, im ignoring some comments here and often not want to reply cause its just going on my nuts.

We made that game, cause we wanted to play it and we`re not getting any money for that, but some peoply here are thinking we have nothing to do and just doing this mod all the time. Ofc try to look that balance is Ok and the game makes fun, but its still our game and we don`t change things poeple are trying to force us to ...

sorry i might of came off bad, its just frustrating when you can't kill the jerk talking trash to you like i could a month ago :) i like the mod and thank you for it.
    I guess if the shotgun is "fine" by your standards ill just have to live with it or find another game like many others have.

I love the combat mod i am just suggesting ways to fix it and well nerf fade + better shotgun is what everyone agrees on servers.. they just don't care about the mod to register and make a post :)
    They want to keep stuff like regen values at vanilla if possible. I agree regen is lackluster on Fade and Onos (and lerk), but remember it is a big advantage to have both carapace and regen...so it's not the biggest deal in the world

That's the vanilla values? Wow it was really nerfed to the ground.
    It's not really that much of an advantage, I usually straight out ignore having regen because it is useless, or I'll pick it very late.

Can likely be explained by the recent influx of steam sales.
    Also there is a problem where aliens get their second hive abilities for free.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Can likely be explained by the recent influx of steam sales.
    Not sure what you mean but if you do mean that those players tipped the stats on that map so it looks like its 51% aliens vs 49% marines then the answer is no those stats were taken with consideration to leave out both that and days where balance was way off before we made the appropriate changes.
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Also there is a problem where aliens get their second hive abilities for free.
    can you please give more details on this? or possibly steps to reproduce it?
    Oh you know what I think I figured it out. I had a skulk and had tier 2 abilities upgrade. When I unevolved and went fade I still had tier 2 abilities without needing to spend points. I then got Onos and still had tier 2 for free and allowed me to spend all my points on everything else. So I had devour and celerity, adrenaline, cara, regen, slience, aura and ink.
    edited July 2013

That's the vanilla values? Wow it was really nerfed to the ground.
    It's not really that much of an advantage, I usually straight out ignore having regen because it is useless, or I'll pick it very late.

Ok, here's how regen is in vanilla

For reference, 1 tick refers to the span of time for which an aliens natural regenerates (not with regeneration)

Lerk w/o regen: 3 hp per 1 tick
    Lerk /w regen: 6 hp per 0.5 ticks, or 12 hp per 1 tick

Fade w/o regen: 5 hp per 1 tick
    Fade /w regen: 10 hp per 0.5 ticks, or 20 hp per 1 tick

Onos w/o regen: Don't know, never play, going to guess 20 hp per tick base don other patterns
    Onos /w regen: 40 hp per 0.5 ticks, or 80 hp per 1 tick (not a guess I've tested this one in vanilla)

The effective growth of the aliens natural regen rate is quadrupled with regeneration at all times in its current form. Even so, it is lackluster compared to the old regen.

I know you are speaking with Fade in mind, and it is known that fade cara and regen were purposefully kept low (particularly cara) to help balance for vanilla.

edited July 2013
    Ok, here's how regen is in vanilla

I know you are speaking with Fade in mind, and it is known that fade cara and regen were purposefully kept low (particularly cara) to help balance for vanilla.

I assume it doesn't scale with increased HP from biomass either? It should imo.
    Actually as I said in the prev. post it was for the onos. Fades can get back to the hive and heal in no time at all, so I don't see that as an issue.
    Not sure what you mean but if you do mean that those players tipped the stats on that map so it looks like its 51% aliens vs 49% marines then the answer is no those stats were taken with consideration to leave out both that and days where balance was way off before we made the appropriate changes.

Very well, weird tho. Two JP marines can easily take down the hive and with the map design it's not an issue to reach the hive.
    Cuel - they have to make it out of base first long hallfways... onos has times to respawn at least 2x before you make it to base, or fade 2x :) i get stuck out of veil east hallway all the time, hasn't been fixed so don't hold your breath...maybe tracking the author down will help!

To modders - how hard is it to make a shotgun damage mod? to increase the dmg if a server wants to!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haven't played this in 251 since some of the marine nerfs, but honestly I dont see how marines loose in combat currently, especially with how the XP system seems to function. IMO its way to easy to get levels, which just leads to teams that are honestly getting stomped being able to turtle to max levels, effectively leading to long drawn out games. I have no issues with 3 shots to kill fades from sg, especially with cat packs - most of the frustration I see simply comes from the sheer stopping power of exos. With the recent nerfs it may be much less of an issue.

It general the turtling goes for both sides, aliens just need 1 level to get gorge and then can just build hydras and delay forever, until they can eventually fade and so on.

And dont be awful gauss.
    Nope, still awful sorry

Onos devour is a pretty unfun ability in its current form. It balances the game, but is just largely unfun for the opposing party. I propose a cooldown to be associated with it
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    xDragon wrote: »
    Haven't played this in 251 since some of the marine nerfs, but honestly I dont see how marines loose in combat currently, especially with how the XP system seems to function. IMO its way to easy to get levels, which just leads to teams that are honestly getting stomped being able to turtle to max levels, effectively leading to long drawn out games. I have no issues with 3 shots to kill fades from sg, especially with cat packs - most of the frustration I see simply comes from the sheer stopping power of exos. With the recent nerfs it may be much less of an issue.

It general the turtling goes for both sides, aliens just need 1 level to get gorge and then can just build hydras and delay forever, until they can eventually fade and so on.

And dont be awful gauss.
    A couple good players on marines all but guarantees a victory for them.

combat isn't really balanced well for different skill levels, but I'm not really sure how feasible that is anyways. Fundamentally it's much harder to be a great marine player than alien player, but the rewards for being a good marine are much better. The game couldn't be balanced for a variety of skill levels without some pretty significant balance tinkering of the lifeforms and weapons.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I love devour. Its also funny to devour cheaters but that is a different story.
    i wish i could buy a grenade for 1 point...incase i get devoured :)
    Arsenic Marine- Due to prevalence of Frontiersmen getting eaten by Onos over and over, the scientists of the TSA developed a DNA-alteration tool to help combat the Onos problem. With just a small shot in the arm, your Frontiersmen can today become walking arsenic poison bombs. That's right. If an arsenic marine is eaten by an onos, the onos then starts to lose it's health and speed progressively until it falls over dead.

Specific numbers:

15 seconds after consumption of marine: -25 HP/sec, -10% speed, no devour
    30 seconds after consumption of marine: -50 HP/sec, -20% speed, no devour, no charge
    45 seconds after consumption of marine: -75 HP/sec, -30% speed, no devour, no charge, no stomp
    60 seconds after consumption of marine: -100 HP/sec, -40% speed, no devour, no charge, no stomp
    90 seconds after consumption of marine: -200 HP/sec, -80% speed, takes double damage, deals half damage no devour, no charge, no stomp

Be a sport. Get your shot today.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    In my defence i do only eat flying marines. It is rhw perfect counter to jps (as it was un ns1) exos cannor be eaten either unlike heavy snacks of old.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited August 2013
    Id like to see the return of old fade movement, also is xmenu and buildmenu ever coming? while combat is still fun i think it could offer so much more, im looking forward to xeno but we really need some new improvements and possibly game types as well.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    yea after playing this, devour is completely retarded. I wont play this again until something changes with that tbh.
  • LatherLather Join Date: 2013-04-28 Member: 185036Members
    Devour encourages marines to play as a group and not just Jetpack straight for the hive alone as seems to be the case most matches.
    It needs a cooldown between bites, the energy drain is not enough
  • wb_spankwb_spank Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186056Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    whats the ratios of wins/losses?

Right now it is really apparent fades are still too powerful. Since nades/flamethrower was nerfed, can the levels be reverted back to its original value?
  • wb_spankwb_spank Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186056Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    also it looks like EMP needs to be revisited.