Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I'd do it myself if I had access. Unfortunately we'll have to wait until JimWest next comes online - he should be able to publish a new version...

A quick update: In the latest git version (not yet published), Biomass now scales with player level and you get 3 towers. I'll work on fixing those other bugs tonight and hopefully do a publish later today.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Issues since the recent build.... Not sure what's going on with combat after the recent NS2 update, but no matter how dominant the aliens are - the marines keep making an almost impossible recovery after getting GLs and flamethrowers. I've gotten killed as fade by GL and flamethrower more times since the new release than all other games of combat combined. The flamethrower is insane now. Also, after dying with tier 2 abilities unlocked, my tier 2 abilities don't return after respawn. I have to kill myself with the "re-evolve" button and research tier 2 again to get it back. Basically, I die twice, and have to re-evolve to get my abilities back. Lastly, there are all these "ghost" duplicates of active players. For example, on a game today, someone started a votekick against me. I asked why. Someone said because you're afk. I went and looked in alien spawn, and sure enough, there was a "ghost" player with my name on it. There were "ghosts" of several active players as well. This has happened in just about every game I've played today.
  • SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    I can't wait for update, happy 4th to all.
    I've fixed the problems affecting tier 3 abilities for aliens, made all alien upgrades level 3, nerfed the flamethrower a little and made it so your biomass increases as you go up in level.

Hopefully that will make the balance a bit better! I'll put the update out tomorrow morning (Europe time) when the servers are less populated. I'll try and reproduce the ghost player bugs... has anyone got solid steps to reproduce it?
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The ghost player issue has been happening since Combat in build 249 I believe, maybe even before that. Not entirely sure how to reproduce them.

Thanks for the updates MCMLXXXIV, can't wait to test them!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    As I have said before the phantom player glitch is caused by respawn. All phantom players are those players who were dead after the game ended.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Patience dear ZERO, Mr Roman Numerals will post an update soon
    I am, I have not asked when the next build will be or anything. I am just stating what is broken so it can be fixed :D
    update please :) ready rooms are full! no one wants to play aliens!
  • ZombieSupaStarZombieSupaStar Join Date: 2005-05-22 Member: 52209Members
    I've just lost that loving feeling without my CO. I don't know how I can face the day anymore...
    We've just published a new version of Combat to the workshop. Sorry for the delay, I kept getting Error 2 while publishing so I had to reinstall my copy of NS2... Here's the changelog!
    - Fixed bugs affecting tier 3 abilities for Aliens
    - Fixed Alien upgrades being applied with level 2 instead of level 3
    - Hid the upgrade structure GUI
    - Biomass now scales with player level
    - Reduced flamethrower damage slightly
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited July 2013
    Regen wasnt working for me, didnt seem any different than normal alien heal. Hive heal worked fine.

Not sure if it is possible but can the flamethrower be modded to cause very little damage to armour but normal damage to health?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Greeds I just played on 2 servers and it seems like no changes have been made, maybe something wrong with upload process?
    hit me up when you are online.
  • Korn09Korn09 Join Date: 2013-03-23 Member: 184285Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. Seems the same even though it did force me to download the mod again.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    MCMLXXXIV wrote: »
    We've just published a new version of Combat to the workshop. Sorry for the delay, I kept getting Error 2 while publishing so I had to reinstall my copy of NS2... Here's the changelog!
    - Fixed bugs affecting tier 3 abilities for Aliens
    - Fixed Alien upgrades being applied with level 2 instead of level 3
    - Hid the upgrade structure GUI
    - Biomass now scales with player level
    - Reduced flamethrower damage slightly

THANKS working so much better now. 192.210.148.243:27016 SoCal..CO.quick respawn...

One thing would make co better is to put the needed lua files in the mod itself so servers that run different mods can level things out from NS2's short comings. For example jetpacks and respawn times are way to slow for combat imo *-:)
    i don't think update went through! please double check :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    If not posted already (big thread) :
    Bug : Sometime you re-spawn without any of the upgrade you bought. Not the same bug as tiers2/3 bug. All upgrade are enabled in the buy menu.
    GG servers are working with the update now!
    Shadowstep works more than 1 life. Xeno only works once!
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The GUI is displaying 2 chambers for each upgrade still, and as far as I can tell its still the same as it was on every server. Still not benefiting from the maximum possible chambers. I checked the GG and SOcal servers which both claim to be working.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    GL spam is so annoying now. You can one-shot a Skulk by shooting a nade in it's face and you can spawnkill entire waves in a Hive by just lobbing grenades in the general direction.
    Then again did the Biomass scaling not work last time I checked, so perhaps it's enough to prevent the one-shotting of Skulks with GLs. Otherwise you might want to reduce the radius of it (Sewlek already reduced it by 20% for the new iteration of the Beta Test mod).
    Yes I can see that the server got the update that was released but I do not see any changes in the update. Chambers still show as only being effective as 2. You do not gain any health with levels from "biomass"

What the update did change is that biomass was removed from the player GUI when pressing the map key.
    Greeds have been working hard on many bug fixes and some balance changes, he is now trying to get the latest version out but we are having some trouble uploading it to workshop :( hopefully its solved later tonight or tomorrow morning.
    i noticed there is a bug where you have bile bomb/shadowstep then you don't, then it comes back a few deaths later!!
    xeno works once. shadowstep/bilebomb upgrades are spotty at best, devour seems to be working fine!
    Got to love the work shop, it is as reliable as...
    Something I just remembered, is there any plans to decrease the respawn time in the next combat update?
    edited July 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Something I just remembered, is there any plans to decrease the respawn time in the next combat update?
    not anytime soon, we want players to be able to kill hive/CC without waiting for overtime, current timer gives enough time to put a couple of shots in there if we would go with shorter spawn or instant spawn it will make it almost impossible to kill hive/CC before overtime and it will also extend overtime, this ofc goes against it because it serves to end the round as quick as possible
    Oh on that note you should do both and have it work like in NS1. I assumed it always did this but never took the time to check:

There is the normal (faster than now) respawn time but when the hive or CC is hit the team whose base is attacked respawns slower for a set duration. This was the reason in NS1 why you would always pop a few at the hive or bite the cc first before targeting other players in the room so as that the respawn would be delayed.
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    marine/alien balance is incredibly out of whack. Marines with even a single good player can stomp aliens incredibly hard. It was like this before 250, but it's even worse now.

play one game against BIGTICKET and you'll be pulling your hair out in frustration as an alien
    edited July 2013
    pat wrote: »
    marine/alien balance is incredibly out of whack. Marines with even a single good player can stomp aliens incredibly hard. It was like this before 250, but it's even worse now.

play one game against BIGTICKET and you'll be pulling your hair out in frustration as an alien

FYI before 250 we had almost 50/50 win ratio on daily basis in some cases it differed by as high as 8% but you need to put into account stacking, running a bad balanced map more often that day, a patch was released and some upgrade for one side didn't work etc.

250 brought many changes to the table and while balance is HORRIBLE right now that never stopped us from working things out and fixing them it will just take time to understand what to tweak after observing stats and A LOT of games.
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    a good player could balance it within a few hours