Build 250 under construction! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    PLEASE GOD NO! BT has alot of great changes, but it still needs A TON OF WORK! The games are very prolonged yes, but this mod doesn't allow for any epic comebacks, if the aliens can't get a third hive they're screwed. If Marines can hold 1 hive they can still get exos, Jetpacks are still a bit OP which is down from when they were totally OP which is fine, but no counter to grenade attacks makes for very angry Aliens.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Montyp wrote: »
    PLEASE GOD NO! BT has alot of great changes, but it still needs A TON OF WORK! The games are very prolonged yes, but this mod doesn't allow for any epic comebacks, if the aliens can't get a third hive they're screwed.

Uh, what? Never run into that problem in any of my BT games so far. In fact in each of my alien wins they rarely get to drop a 3rd hive.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited June 2013
    *snip * - Ironhorse
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited June 2013
    *snip * if you can't be nice to others.. - Ironhorse
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What are the current win rates in public bt games? On the one hand I see lerks and fades dropping all over the shop, on the other, i've personally only seen one marine win in bt in the last few weeks.

Happy to see some changes, very disappointed that we've gone back to bunny hop instead of taking this unique opportunity to come up with something innovative instead, and overall I can't help feel that this is being rushed out to a deadline rather than being given just a little more love and attention to get it right.

The name balance test was always misleading, unfortunately, as this really is more about making the game more interesting to play rather than more even between teams.
    Change will always be controversial. Managing that change is important and the one area that, right now more than ever, needs a little more work!

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Roobubba wrote: »
    What are the current win rates in public bt games? On the one hand I see lerks and fades dropping all over the shop, on the other, i've personally only seen one marine win in bt in the last few weeks.

Happy to see some changes, very disappointed that we've gone back to bunny hop instead of taking this unique opportunity to come up with something innovative instead, and overall I can't help feel that this is being rushed out to a deadline rather than being given just a little more love and attention to get it right.
    Funny you would say that, as a friend of mine said he hates BT because aliens never ever win. Personally, I see marine and alien wins in about equal amounts. People thinking BT is heavily favouring one side is just them lacking the ability to differentiate between game and team balance.

Also, it's not bunnyhopping.

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Sounds like this is the end. Better play as much as I can until the patch because even if they don't implement some of the changes I am personally opposed to it will probably kill the game as far as having enough players to find a server.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Will 250 be released as a beta first? In the same way 249 was? This will give time to people who have written mods such as stats/combat/siege to perhaps fix any issues prior to the official release. I doubt it will give someone time to engineer a mod to back out the balance changes though :(
    You think the docking change was poorly received? Imagine that on a scale of the entire game rather than just a single map. It doesn't matter if BT is good, it will kill playercounts, and we are already teetering on that sustainable critical mass to keep the game going.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Sounds like this is the end. Better play as much as I can until the patch because even if they don't implement some of the changes I am personally opposed to it will probably kill the game as far as having enough players to find a server.

It's ok. All you grumps who are going to flee as soon as balance hits live will be replaced by those of us currently finding classic a bit stale and eagerly waiting for BT.

I'm sure BT is gonna have teething problems. I'm sure after a few weeks of mass public play there will be things that need tweaking. But hopefully it can keep the game varied. Classic, while still fun, has got to the point where every game is pretty much the same.

Emoo wrote: »

It's ok. All you grumps who are going to flee as soon as balance hits live will be replaced by those of us currently finding classic a bit stale and eagerly waiting for BT.

I'm sure BT is gonna have teething problems. I'm sure after a few weeks of mass public play there will be things that need tweaking. But hopefully it can keep the game varied. Classic, while still fun, has got to the point where every game is pretty much the same.

All 3 of you. How many people do you seriously think are NOT playing now but are actually paying attention to patches and waiting to come back? It's not many. I'm sure there are plenty of people who play it as it is who will love BT warts and all, but without a doubt there will be people leaving at the sight of it. I don't think the game can support the loss, and I don't think there will be any noticeable gain in numbers.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    All 3 of you. How many people do you seriously think are NOT playing now but are actually paying attention to patches and waiting to come back? It's not many. I'm sure there are plenty of people who play it as it is who will love BT warts and all, but without a doubt there will be people leaving at the sight of it. I don't think the game can support the loss, and I don't think there will be any noticeable gain in numbers.

Anecdotally, everyone I have on my steam friends list who purchased this game and no longer plays it is intending on coming back for 250, probably because they all played NS1 and find the live skulk and fade extremely dull to play in comparison. There are a lot of players who simply quit because skulking became so shallow after various (balance-essential) nerfs; this problem has taken many months to get fixed and is the main reason for people leaving the game in my experience, aside from performance and/or hitreg issues.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    edited June 2013

I used to play with a group that would flood fill a server every night to the point we were waiting for strangers to leave so they could join.
    And given that I haven't seen them play nearly as much (like my steam used to be constant pop ups of "X is playing NS2"). I assume I'm not unique in this regard of seeing less friends play NS2. I'd say a big disruptive patch could be the interesting pull required to get a load of people back into the game. It's certainly what I'm waiting for having bounced between normal and BT servers (when available) this week.

Some people don't like change, hell the fact that people built and play the NS:Classic mod shows that. I'm sure someone can make a backup of the state of the game right now and release it as the NS2:Original mod. Then if the player base really does hate BT soon enough all the servers will be running NS2O. Hell given your opposition why don't you go ahead and do that? You can keep playing Original with the mass of other people your convinced will leave. The rest of us will take our BT changes and have fun playing a fresh game.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

Do you know how many copies of the game have been sold relative to the currently active population? UWE has far more people to bring back than they have to lose.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    In cool man's land it's winter.

you mean in "Everything is trying to kill you" land?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members

Funny you would say that, as a friend of mine said he hates BT because aliens never ever win. Personally, I see marine and alien wins in about equal amounts. People thinking BT is heavily favouring one side is just them lacking the ability to differentiate between game and team balance.

I certainly didn't view them all but I did skim a few of the BTcup streams and didn't notice any alien wins although I'm sure some did.

I also noticed some skulks that were jackaloping (not bunnyhopping ;) )quite quickly around the map. I'm liking the idea of some movement buffs from practice but the same skulks still got shredded during most engagements. Regardless, only time will tell how things work out.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's definitely possible to win as aliens. I don't even think the game is particularly marine favored right now, it was for a brief time when shotguns were doing heavy damage but even then I saw a lot of alien wins.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I saw 1 guy today playing BT the 1st time on alienside. 1st comment "oh my god, this is crap. Marines are so OP now".
    The same guy lose as marine with 0-9 stats the next game. How can an OP marine have these stats? hmm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    I am against these changes but since my opinion wont do anything, here a suggestion to prevent players feeling not heard: Get polls on the website or even better in the mainmenu to get a better overview aout what players want.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    could be interesting, but they could only access it after they played x amount of games on a certain version
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    Asraniel wrote: »
    could be interesting, but they could only access it after they played x amount of games on a certain version

yeah, something like that^^
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited June 2013
    Discowitz wrote: »
    I am against these changes but since my opinion wont do anything, here a suggestion to prevent players feeling not heard: Get polls on the website or even better in the mainmenu to get a better overview aout what players want.

I've been saying that for a while. Or at least get Google moderator back up. Either way once the BT mods hits they are sure to get quite the amount of feedback. 8-X
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Discowitz wrote: »
    Your opinion will do something.
    Too bad you didn't mention what it is you want, however.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Sigh, typing this on my phone takes ages, hence why I didn't clarify that it's not technically bunnyhopping. It is, however, extremely closely modelled on bhop as a concept (regardless of walljumping). My point was that this mechanic is short-sighted and retrospective, rather than novel and forward-thinking. I also acknowledge that the boat has already sailed, it's too late to do anything about this now.

Pedantry doesn't help this particular discussion, I'm afraid.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    BentRing wrote: »

I certainly didn't view them all but I did skim a few of the BTcup streams and didn't notice any alien wins although I'm sure some did.

I also noticed some skulks that were jackaloping (not bunnyhopping ;) )quite quickly around the map. I'm liking the idea of some movement buffs from practice but the same skulks still got shredded during most engagements. Regardless, only time will tell how things work out.

Most of the matches ended up being 4-0. I hope some alien wins occurred.
  • MinimumMinimum Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176382Members

This is not the end. There are those of us who are willing to do what it takes to keep the game alive.

I wasn't the only one who had the idea to make a normalization (pre-250 gameplay) mod. I was playing last night and I found out that someone else has already made a working mod. We will be alright.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members

Sigh, typing this on my phone takes ages, hence why I didn't clarify that it's not technically bunnyhopping. It is, however, extremely closely modelled on bhop as a concept (regardless of walljumping). My point was that this mechanic is short-sighted and retrospective, rather than novel and forward-thinking. I also acknowledge that the boat has already sailed, it's too late to do anything about this now.

Pedantry doesn't help this particular discussion, I'm afraid.

There are only a few movements really , if you think about it. Jump, leap, vault and run. you can vary each with allowable frequency but that's really about all you have.

Vault would be kinda neat, allowing you to "clutter" up halls and making marines vault them to move further down the hall, would also add some cover for aliens from long distance rifles.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    What are the current win rates in public bt games?

I'd not trust any numbers because I often see aliens screwing off until they can test/play higher lifeforms. I'm also "seeing" very little communication - especially mic. The problem with a test is that people actually want to play around and test stuff. Testing and playing aren't exactly the same thing.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    *snip * hiding potential exploit. Ty for the report though. - Ironhorse