Build 250 under construction! - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    However you feel about the ideal player cap, there's no possibility of lowering it now. That would be a PR disaster. In any case, people are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves what server size they think is most fun. 12v12 is pretty much a chaotic deathmatch, but if people like playing that way then more power to them.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    24 players is a great server size. People like it because its the best balance of not having too many players so you get lost in the crowd, and having enough players so you personally wont be the reason your team lost (also, your team is less likely put the blame on one person when they lose).

Also, its easier to keep a 24 slot server full. If you lose 6 players, you're down to 18 players, which is still a pretty full server. If you lose 6 players on a 16 player server, you're down to teams of five, which sucks.

Balance-wise, it may not work in NS2, but thats not gonna stop people from joining them. In TF2, 32 player servers are ALWAYS packed, despite the fact that only 4/9 classes are even viable on those servers. And its not just bad players either. It's just something about a really full server that's really appealing.

About the balance changes, I played skulk and fade. the movement for both lifeforms is very satisfying and fairly simple to get a hold of. The "Hold to Jump" change makes it a lot less cumbersome to actually get going. I really like it.
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    Radman wrote: »
    24 players is a great server size. People like it because its the best balance of not having too many players so you get lost in the crowd, and having enough players so you personally wont be the reason your team lost (also, your team is less likely put the blame on one person when they lose). "

NS2 is properly balanced at 8v8 12v12 marines have a huge advantage once they have W1, it reduces the skulks efficiency early game and breaks the balance after the 4 minute mark.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    Obviously, but that wasnt my point, was it?
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Khamm wanted you to save that drifter.

Just sayin.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    stop building 250, start building maps instead get us biodome, what month is it now 10? and we only got one...ONE single map entire 2013. That was solidly best map ever made for ns2 in my opinion but get so much hate, so get more fresh content out there instead of polishing what is already working perfectly. its like 2% that plays competativly, think of the other 98% instead
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Making an official release quality map including playtesting takes longer than 10 months. It's a complex game needing complex maps.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    RadimaX wrote: »
    instead of polishing what is already working perfectly.

wat

And relax people, new maps will be released in time.
  • Bacon WizardBacon Wizard Join Date: 2012-02-16 Member: 146226Members
  • Bacon WizardBacon Wizard Join Date: 2012-02-16 Member: 146226Members
    It should be done by now if Unknown Worlds really do keep their words. Hopefully they'll be professional and deliver.
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Montyp wrote: »
    Radman wrote: »
    12v12 marines have a huge advantage once they have W1, it reduces the skulks efficiency early game and breaks the balance after the 4 minute mark.

? -_-
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Making an official release quality map including playtesting takes longer than 10 months. It's a complex game needing complex maps.
    Well, making a map can be quite quick (as a test, I was able to make a basic, playable NS2 map in about a month with 10-20 hr/week effort). However, making a fun/balanced/high quality one can easily take a year or more. The biggest issue with NS2 is that greyboxing tends to be less useful in figuring out map balance. The nature of ranged vs melee combat makes it such that the room props and detail can have as much or even more impact on the balance than the geometry itself. Because of that, many maps have to have large sections completely remade after its been fully detailed.

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    nice i get flagged as abuse for wanting to play the upcoming map biodome that i was hoping for to come out
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Well, I don't think I will play NS2 anymore until they remove some/most of this update.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Well, I don't think I will play NS2 anymore until they remove some/most of this update.

inb4 toons of goodbyes.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    inb4 customer holds developer hostage because he paid hard earned money.