Build 250 under construction! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• gimmicgimmic Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183555Members
    I am sad. Goodbye, remaining pub community.
  • DimeinurearDimeinurear Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72955Members
    To people saying that Aliens lose 99% of the time, Aliens have a 70:30 win rate in comp games, and a 60:40 win rate in pub games.

Aliens are overpowered because they can have every single person on their team in the marine territory, as a skulk, harassing the marines. They just harass while the commander does everything for them, until they have enough hives and res that they can just go fade and roflstomp the marines.

These changes are to skew away from this, and it looks like the BT is doing better than this, with a 55:45 rate. Still not perfect, but better than what we have now.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The BT is 55-45 on pubs? Somehow I doubt that greatly.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not hating, I like the BT a lot, but from my experience pub games are pretty heavily marine dominated, at least at the moment
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    And others say that its heavily alien dominated. I guess that cancels it out?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2013
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Its on the todo list of bugfixes, if you find more, please report em aswell :)
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Haven't played in months. . . couldn't resist a patch that pretty well overhauled the way the entire game plays though

Did 3 games so far: 2 on marine comm and 1 on alien infantry
    Alien game ended in <5 min though due to half the server getting the 999 ping bug and we just scooped marine spawn immediately when it was spotted

Really like how Marines play now. . . never having to worry about where infest is to place stuff is golden
    Power Surge actually sees aliens going for structure damage in base which is quite refreshing
    You can also do some interesting new tactics like only get armor upgrades alongside Gren/Flame thrower since those cannot be improved
    Getting power on in a hive or a sentry push is devastating and keeps aliens well on their toes if Marines start to get too close
    Only issue I see is that there is still no real counter against early phase tech and it's only gotten better with the new rules

Found roughly 5 bugs/exploits so far. . . sounds like a lot, but some are just old ones that are still around since I left last time
  • TrustMeImADentistTrustMeImADentist Join Date: 2013-04-27 Member: 185014Members
    edited June 2013
    I have been playing BT for about 75-100hrs now (over the last month). At first I really liked it, but then it felt a bit one sided toward aliens... marines couldn't kill anything. Recently, I have seen the marines win more and they definitely feel buffed. Skulk movement was challenging, and I like that it was made a little easier. However, it will still take a long time to really master, and that's cool.

I feel like BT is 85% there. I really like the current skulk and marine 1v1. I have played less with the fade, so I'm interested to see how they will play out in vanilla.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    They have to start balancing for 24 player servers. I wish everyone would just play 18 but now I can't find any servers that aren't 22+ anymore. Sometimes a 20 player server opens up.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    MrPink wrote: »
    They have to start balancing for 24 player servers. I wish everyone would just play 18 but now I can't find any servers that aren't 22+ anymore. Sometimes a 20 player server opens up.

Or they lock player limit to 18 players :)

^
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Only if that meant higher client update rates and lowered interp

Otherwise i don't see the functional goal, considering it still wouldn't be as balanced as 6 v 6 so why even bother, especially if its ruining it for those that enjoy such servers?
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I see 8v8/9v9 servers as a concession towards ensuring stable servers so that if a few people leave on map change when the server is full you don't end up with small and/or heavily unbalanced teams (e.g. 3v4 is much more lopsided than 6v7)
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »

Otherwise i don't see the functional goal, considering it still wouldn't be as balanced as 6 v 6 so why even bother, especially if its ruining it for those that enjoy such servers?

Well, currently, the game isn't even close to balanced at 6v6 (74% Alien win rate) and pretty close to balanced at 20+ (55% Alien win rate). Considering that, I find it amusing that you say "as balanced as 6 v 6" when it should be "as imbalanced as 6 v 6".

Ns2stats.org
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Robo, those numbers doesn't mean anything. Really.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Then it's decided we need some real numbers.

Or more precisely an article on current balance before 250 goes live. I mean come on the old NS2 is going to be unused either way why not just state the current balance based on player count? Maybe throw in the time it took to win the rounds based by player count as well? Pls
    There is no real numbers, the better team wins everytime
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited June 2013
    ezekel wrote: »
    There is no real numbers, the better team wins everytime

But I thought muh teamwork overcomes all skill obstacles. Well if they manage to get the sabot implemented it should be interesting if it makes games a bit more even.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited June 2013
    aaaaaaaaaaaaand the derp fest begins..

How about you stop trying to force people to play your way? How about we balance the game based on fun this go around rather than numbers? You know, try something different for a change.

Personally I think what drove off a bunch of players was a combo of problems and not just "performance" based issues
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    edited June 2013
    Robotix wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Well, currently, the game isn't even close to balanced at 6v6 (74% Alien win rate) and pretty close to balanced at 20+ (55% Alien win rate). Considering that, I find it amusing that you say "as balanced as 6 v 6" when it should be "as imbalanced as 6 v 6".

Ns2stats.org

Your numbers are old and outdated and reflect non-balance test related play. AKA obsolete.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »

It always turns into a derp fest when player counts are brought up. These forums tend to like small games and dislike large games, whereas public players tend to like large games and dislike small games. This leads to pages and pages of pointless arguments with each side throwing around opinions and anecdotal evidence to support their case.

In my opinion, UWE either needs to focus on making the game fun at all player counts while being marginally balanced (which may be impossible), or they just need to say "**** it!" and lock player counts at 8v8 - 10v10 and balance accordingly. I'd prefer to not have them lock player counts, but it sure beats them focusing on one end of the player count spectrum.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    They have to start balancing for 24 player servers.

Man they dont need to mess up the balancing as they propably gonna do, ns2 got MODS remember? ZM UK server has 6 turrets per battery for 32 man server.
    hydras and mines are 4 each due to more attacks and eggs spawn at different rate. last time they released 248 or 249 some mods broke. Instead they should roll out Biodome and focus on more maps than ruining the game experience by embedding Faileks balance Mods for everyone. He has it on steam already, are you gonna force a horrible my little pony evolution camo on every one in 251? or can we still get the choice to add it its really that awsome that a whopping 12 servers on the entire interwebs host a game with it on just like the faileks one.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited June 2013
    RadimaX wrote: »
    They have to start balancing for 24 player servers.

Man they dont need to mess up the balancing as they propably gonna do, ns2 got MODS remember? ZM UK server has 6 turrets per battery for 32 man server.
    hydras and mines are 4 each due to more attacks and eggs spawn at different rate. last time they released 248 or 249 some mods broke. Instead they should roll out Biodome and focus on more maps than ruining the game experience by embedding Faileks balance Mods for everyone. He has it on steam already, are you gonna force a horrible my little pony evolution camo on every one in 251? or can we still get the choice to add it its really that awsome that a whopping 12 servers on the entire interwebs host a game with it on just like the faileks one.
    Im a stupid dingus who lacks the balls to post under his own name! Hurr durr!
    I like BT and think it improves the game considerably. Especially for the aliens and their commander, who has stuff to think about and spend res on in BT.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer

It always turns into a derp fest when player counts are brought up. These forums tend to like small games and dislike large games, whereas public players tend to like large games and dislike small games. This leads to pages and pages of pointless arguments with each side throwing around opinions and anecdotal evidence to support their case.

In my opinion, UWE either needs to focus on making the game fun at all player counts while being marginally balanced (which may be impossible), or they just need to say "**** it!" and lock player counts at 8v8 - 10v10 and balance accordingly. I'd prefer to not have them lock player counts, but it sure beats them focusing on one end of the player count spectrum.

Most public players I've spoken to only like games over 10v10 so the server doesn't die when 3 players leave on map change. With more servers at lower player counts, this would be less of a problem.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »

Most public players I've spoken to only like games over 10v10 so the server doesn't die when 3 players leave on map change. With more servers at lower player counts, this would be less of a problem.
    This is the biggest reason 20+ player servers are so common. On a 24 player server losing 4+ players still allows a pretty good 18-20 player game. On a 12 player server, losing 4+ players basically cripples gameplay as a 6-8 player game. The level of player churn on public servers usually requires having the playercount set 3-4 higher than the desired number.
  • snozysnozy Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185318Members
    edited June 2013
    If they're trying to finish Build 250 before NS2 goes on summer sale, I hope it's not rushed. Can't wait for Biodome too!! That's coming out too, right??

I'm happy if the game plays a little more like NS1. Would also love to see more dynamic gp features.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Biodome is to be previewed at the european open finale, as described in the blogpost
    snozy wrote: »
    If they're trying to finish Build 250 before NS2 goes on summer sale, I hope it's not rushed. Can't wait for Biodome too!! That's coming out too, right??

I'm happy if the game plays a little more like NS1. Would also love to see more dynamic gp features.

afaik build 250 is the BT we have now, which is essentially done. However don't count on it being the final version :]
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

How about you stop trying to force people to play your way? How about we balance the game based on fun this go around rather than numbers? You know, try something different for a change.

Personally I think what drove off a bunch of players was a combo of problems and not just "performance" based issues

I'm an average gamer. I've played my share of CS, TFC, NS, SC, SC:BW, TF2, BF2, BF3, SC2, NS2, etc. I leave NS2 for longs stints because I don't see how to get better. I can't shooting those skulks jumping everywhere. When I jump everywhere as a skulk i can't kill anything. So now the game isn't fun. Then the games where the comms are bad or troll. Then the games with troll players... very few games for me are enjoyable. I'm not even overly concerned about winning... most games are just not fun.