New Docking

Comments

• RollmansRollmans Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185579Members
    edited June 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    People I feel just have a hard time accepting change.

This is rapidly becoming the go to write-you-off-reason for why lots of people don't like the new/upcoming changes. I guess "you aren't a comp player so your opinion doesn't matter" got old?
    Not calling you out specifically for doing that or anything, just noticing a trend.

Fraggler is correct imo, these changes do feel like a new map rather than a modification. It's no surprise that people complain when huges changes occur, in some cases for ambiguous reasons. Another reason why iterating towards a goal make more sense.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Rollmans wrote: »

This is rapidly becoming the go to write-you-off-reason for why lots of people don't like the new/upcoming changes. I guess "you aren't a comp player so your opinion doesn't matter" got old?
    Not calling you out specifically for doing that or anything, just noticing a trend.

Fraggler is correct imo, these changes do feel like a new map rather than a modification. It's no surprise that people complain when huges changes occur, in some cases for ambiguous reasons. Another reason why iterating towards a goal make more sense.

I've noticed this as well but more so about the balance mod then any thing.

In my case I said that is because I see tons of resistance in this thread and other forums about the changes done to this map for the soul reason is they happen to like the map how it was before. That isn't a good reason to dislike something new is what I'm saying. Others may disagree but i guess what I'm attempting to say is if you give something new a shot you may just like it more then what you previously had. Or you may not which is fair. In general people shouldn't fight the attempt to make a map more balanced. The Person I was directing that whole post to (not so much that last statement) actually provided reasons why they disliked it which is more then most people have done. Feedback like "i feel this-because xxx" is always cool to see.
    In my case I said that is because I see tons of resistance in this thread and other forums about the changes done to this map for the soul reason is they happen to like the map how it was before.

I don't know if that's so unreasonable. This isn't a beta any more after all. Couldn't whatever issues were present have perhaps been resolved with minor changes rather than major ones? I guess what I'm wondering is why changes to NS2 in general seem to be trending towards the larger end of the spectrum of possibilities (or that seems to be the general perception anyway). Is it really that broken?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In the case of docking it kinda was lol. There were major issues that needed to be addressed and none of the map testers or mappers came up with a "simple fix'. Every one came to the opinion there was no simple fix. :(
    edited June 2013
    In the case of docking it kinda was lol. There were major issues that needed to be addressed and none of the map testers or mappers came up with a "simple fix'. Every one came to the opinion there was no simple fix. :(

Doesn't look like the end result was worth it at this point then. Why change a map so drastically to appease a few comp players at the expense of pissing off the majority of everyone else? I guess it just wasn't considered (herp derp comp player input only). Maybe it wasn't predictable that docking would end up removed from the rotation on a lot of the public servers, but there is a lesson to be learned here somewhere with regards to the reception some of the other upcoming changes will receive.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    Not listening to competitive players it's what has caused NS2 to go through such drastic balance changing for it's entire life cycle.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    I like the changes very much. Makes the games awesome for last stands and come backs.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Rollmans wrote: »

I've noticed this as well but more so about the balance mod then any thing.

In my case I said that is because I see tons of resistance in this thread and other forums about the changes done to this map for the soul reason is they happen to like the map how it was before. That isn't a good reason to dislike something new is what I'm saying. Others may disagree but i guess what I'm attempting to say is if you give something new a shot you may just like it more then what you previously had. Or you may not which is fair. In general people shouldn't fight the attempt to make a map more balanced. The Person I was directing that whole post to (not so much that last statement) actually provided reasons why they disliked it which is more then most people have done. Feedback like "i feel this-because xxx" is always cool to see.

I totally agree, you don't know until you've tried it. my wife does this thing with her finger... well maybe I'll tell you on our other forum. Anyway, it was totally worth a shit but I do agree with the sentiment that it isn't really docking anymore. It's all growing pains.

I also agree about useful feedback. There are some things I really like, maint and courtyard are way cooler and strand makes the west side of Dep a lot more useful. There's still an awful lot of things that don't work at all on the larger servers though, especially cafe. I really wish there was a 5 tech version with the landing vent back. Those are growing pains though, like I said, and we wouldn't know unless Dux tried it. I'm also not entirely satisfied with the vent from maint to stability, it seems incomplete but I can't put my finger on what it is yet. I do like the way it goes under the big pipe though, it looks pretty cool. I also like those stairs on the east side of Courtyard (junction?) with the vertical pipes. Other then the lighting in the new rooms, which obviously isn't done yet, they're looking good. There's some LOS issues in gen I think but nothing major, more playing needed to determine what's fair but right now, it's definitely marine biased. I guess I can think of a lot of little things but that's what happens when you make a big change and is to be expected.

THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK DUX!
    People can be douche bags but you gotta roll with it. The map isn't done but I appreciate the experimentation. My biggest peeve is loosing cafe, though I appreciate for smaller/comp games 4 tech is nice it makes larger servers (which are very popular) less fun. These are of course all my opinions and should be taken as such.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    The things you say are very revealing map testers and mappers.

I haven't played it myself, I like the new visuals and stuff.
  • co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Change Departures. Give it a third hallway connecting to generator or something. You can't have only 2 places (East wing & that new OP room where you can be an annoying marine that cuts the cysts if they have departures spawn) that lead to 1 tech point. I thought this was a mistake NS2 map makers made before? Why are we making the same mistake? Departures is like the old ns2_veil pipeline now.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members

This is why we need seperate maps for pubs and comp. While Docking was great for pubs, it had serious problems in comp. The new Docking is the opposite. Sure, some maps might work in both, but others clearly don't.
  • SanthoranSanthoran Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184809Members
    Yep, keep the old AND the new. Call it different, make some further changes to docking new - clean up cafe, make it balanced for small servers with 4 techs and switch terminal with landing pad maybe, or move terminal a bit.
    And then call it Docking 2.0 and let it co-exist.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2013
    Robotix wrote: »

This is why we need seperate maps for pubs and comp. While Docking was great for pubs, it had serious problems in comp. The new Docking is the opposite. Sure, some maps might work in both, but others clearly don't.

Don't make things up. Docking wasn't played in competitive, and it won't be played in competitive now either. These changes weren't made for competitive. I wish people stopped attributing everything they don't like to competitive.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    While Docking was great for pubs,
    Lol!
    I do not agree.

I primarily pub.. from 16 to 24 playercounts, doesn't matter... and my anecdotal evidence suggests that every single issue that has afflicted comp games has also affected pub.
    I can't tell you how many times marines spawning in lockers or locking down stability or departure arcing created issues.. you'd be amazed at the amount of other pubs that agreed.

I'm having a hard time guessing where the difference in experience comes from?
  • Blake IceBlake Ice Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172262Members
    Why not have a docking v1 and a docking v2?
  • Blake IceBlake Ice Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172262Members
    I would like to point out that I wasn't ranting or trying to hurt feelings. Just stating the obvious. I did not make descent the least favorite map, but it is. I did not make docking the second least favorite map, but it now is. Can we have a docking v1 and a docking v2?

On v1, please move the tech point in stability to the north of the room where it can not be sniped.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    While Docking was great for pubs,
    Lol!
    I do not agree.

I primarily pub.. from 16 to 24 playercounts, doesn't matter... and my anecdotal evidence suggests that every single issue that has afflicted comp games has also affected pub.
    I can't tell you how many times marines spawning in lockers or locking down stability or departure arcing created issues.. you'd be amazed at the amount of other pubs that agreed.

I'm having a hard time guessing where the difference in experience comes from?

I actually have statistics to back up my arguments, so try again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So you believe a narrow sample sized winrate statistic demonstrates all the issues a map can display, eh?

And does your experience really differ so much from mine playing pub games that you never noticed these issues while playing?
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So you believe a narrow sample sized winrate statistic demonstrates all the issues a map can display, eh?

And does your experience really differ so much from mine playing pub games that you never noticed these issues while playing?

I know of the issues with Stability, where marines could ARC both Departures and Generator hives. However, that rarely came up as Stability was pretty easy for aliens to defend with its multitude of entrances and vents as well as obstacles and line-of-sight blockers. Even so, I do agree that it needed a change, but all that was really needed was to flip Generator (so that the tech point was on the western side of the room) and to reorganize Maintenance so as to work with the new Generator.

However, I still fail to see what any of that had to do with the Cafeteria tech point. There was no reason for its removal other than to make the map more "competitive". Putting the tech point back in Cafeteria would solve a large amount of the current iteration's problems.
    Mendasp wrote: »

Don't make things up. Docking wasn't played in competitive, and it won't be played in competitive now either. These changes weren't made for competitive. I wish people stopped attributing everything they don't like to competitive.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128793/time-to-make-docking-competitive/p1

The above thread goes entirely against your argument. But if the new Docking is never played in competitive then I'll have to laugh at the project's complete failure. They'll have put a lot of work into the project but will have gained almost nothing and only succeeded at pissing a lot of people off.
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    I wonder why they spent this time mucking around with an OK map to make something frankensteinish instead of using it to make something new.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    They'll have put a lot of work into the project but will have gained almost nothing and only succeeded at pissing a lot of people off.

As well as making the map a better pub experience for some of us, like me, for example. Stop acting like you know your opinion is the righteous one or even that of the majority's. A lot of pubbers have expressed positive feelings towards the new iteration.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I like the new docking. I don't play on 24 slot servers.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    Therius wrote: »
    They'll have put a lot of work into the project but will have gained almost nothing and only succeeded at pissing a lot of people off.

As well as making the map a better pub experience for some of us, like me, for example. Stop acting like you know your opinion is the righteous one or even that of the majority's. A lot of pubbers have expressed positive feelings towards the new iteration.
    Jekt wrote: »

Yea, when it first pop up, people were like "this is so aweful, what have they done", but as it seems people have just gotten use to it, and even started to like, I think once people have their say they move on.... even I'm really starting to like.

I except the same will happen when parts of the BT mod will be moved across, people being not sure, or even disliking, but then getting use to it.

About server sizes, agreed. The highest I go is 20, people should remember you get a more balanced and better performing game if you stick around 16 - 18 size servers.

edited June 2013
    Therius wrote: »

Jekt wrote: »

Yea, when it first went up, people were like "this is so awful, what have they done", but as it seems people have just gotten use to it, and even started to like, I think once people have their say they move on.... even I'm really starting to like it.

I except the same will happen when parts of the BT mod will be moved across, people being not sure, or even disliking, but then getting use to it.

About server sizes, agreed. The highest I go is 20, people should remember you get a more balanced and better performing game if you stick around 16 - 18 size servers

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    The highest I go is 20
    That's what she said.

The highest I go is 20
    That's what she said.

relatively pleased with that. :)

• mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited June 2013
    ok, so i decided to take all the complaints and to try to show what all the fixes would look like

i also want to make Dux make a a face like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQewBI6DLoQ1qtBCD3Z_Ym1bpSB-kjXlyJkuGfkQuFDxKpBpa4G

without further ado

19Ghz.jpeg
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    edited June 2013
    Mendasp wrote: »

You know.. I mean, since we're playing descent, we might as well play docking. These last batch of changes do adress some issues with the map, and while it may not be perfect I still think it's a cooler map than descent.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2013
    Expansion RTs for marines from Terminal are horrible. Landing pad is completely useless and a waste of space. South-west area needs a rework, which is not going to happen.

I did make docking a spawns file for the spawns mod so it's only Terminal vs Generator (it was a request). I'm all for testing new stuff, but considering how hard it is to convince other teams to play new maps...