Time to make Docking Competitive

GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Hey guys

I have been talking with Dux and he really wants to make effort to make Docking competitive, he only needs feedback to make it happen. We have already started to make some minor changes but we need some playtesting before going futher.
What I ask players to do is to give the map a real chance, it might take more than 2 rounds to figure out how to play the map effectivly.

We have made the first mini nsl version of the map, these are the changes:
*Marines will always spawn in Terminal and aliens in Generator.
*Cafeteria tech point has been removed.
*The vent that leads to landing pad has been removed.
*all ambience sounds have been removed.

There are other changes that might be needed like closing off the route between cortyard and maintenence, or simply prevent that rt from being sniped from range. But til we get some playtime on the map we can't know for sure.
We also know that it might be to easy to siege lockers from cortyard, but again before we get some real playtime it will be hard to pinpoint how it would be best for Dux to fix that issue.

So lets try to help him out and give some constructive feedback. Goðar is willing to schedule matches on it to help it get some playtime.

Here is the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130773042&searchtext=docking

Comments

• statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited March 2013
    I think with these changes docking can be added into the rotation and soon! Many of the problems with the map have been ironed out over the last few patches. Hopefully the ENSL admins can add the NSL version to their gather servers.

I feel like Locker could be a viable spawn point for aliens as well as generator just to add some variety, although the ARC location might be problematic, that vent right above the ARC spot they added a couple patches back should help alot...more testing definitely needed. locked in spawns for both teams takes a little bit of the tension out of the start I find.

That said i think that there is a concern that the marines can too easily reach the mainteance and stability RTS. I have a couple of ideas regarding that...

One possibility would be that marines always spawn in lockers and aliens spawn in departures.

Regarding blocking off maintinance I think blocking off that hallway would be a mistake, basically would make that RT completely free for aliens. I can't really think of a good way to further protect that RT, so maybe instead we should consider making it more difficult to shoot the RT in stability (move it behind the divider so it can't be shot from so far away, or add a box perhaps?)
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Not sure if it was intentional, but marines can go from courtyard to locker by using the small boxes and the larger container to jump the railing. Since it was taken out in 239 it seemed weird having it back in in 240.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The locker shortcut will be removed again next patch. Personally, I have always liked Docking. Hopefully we can get it in rotation for scrims and such.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Café and Terminal tech points are defenitly to close to each other, thats why Café had to be removed. Both these areas are really easy for marines to access and hold and give them to easy access to 2 tech points.

I do see Stability as the most important alien location in the map, if aliens lose control of stability they will definitly have to struggle to have a chance of winning. Even without arcs. At the same time it seems to me that its not easy for marines to get control of that area. Maybe if they would arc stability from courtyard(if thats possible) they could get a foothold there.

The gameplay of this map is little bit unpredictable atm, with a quick look it seems like Marines won't have easy time holding any rts because of the distance between them. At the same time they have easy access to powerful pressureplay through courtyard.

Aliens have good mobility between maint, stability and departures area, this should give them good chance of holding 3-4 rts. But it depends how strong marine pressure turns out to be and how effectivly marines can zone the aliens in.
  • ChlamydiaChlamydia Join Date: 2012-06-01 Member: 152844Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    3del! wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the map is that from stability you can siege departures and generator hives with very little distance for the arcs to travel. On top of that, you can afterwards siege locker from courtyard if necessary. This happened in one of the wasabi showmatches. My suggestion for a fix would be to move the generator techpoint, so it can't be sieged from stability. Make it siegable from Maintenance instead. I don't think the map needs to be reduced to only 4 TP, but i think cafeteria is a bit to easy to secure. Although the recent changes may have made it more accessible. Didn't play yet, so not sure about it.

Yeah this was painful for many reasons... Streamed by WasabiOne here:

http://www.ns2commander.com/2013/02/bourgeois-gorge-defeats-cystitis-in-saturday-night-show-match/
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Some Issues:

*Irrelevance of Landing pad
    *Terminal proximity and ease of access to Courtyard
    *Ballcourt too open
    *Stability right next to 2 hive locations giving too much control to whomever occupies it
    *Lack of connectivity from courtyard area to departures isolating departures from everywhere but generator

I think there needs to be a rethink on the location of terminal, connectivity between gen and departures as well as between courtyard and departures.

• statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited March 2013
    I feel that the importance of stability being right next to two hive locations is being exaggerated. Although this is a great area for marines to hold, the problem is that it is also a great area for aliens to attack. If we are assuming that the aliens are holding both of those hive locations, then stability can be attacked easily and quickly by spawns at both hives from a total of 3 hallways and 2 vents, and has tons of great cover for aliens/walljumping all over the area. It is a reasonably good area for fades and onos as it has some height, has nearby dividers and does not really have strong natural chokepoints like northtunnels/warehouse does.

The biggest issue in my (limited) experience of playing the map is the ease of killing maintenance RT, and then running over to stability very quickly to assault the other natural RT or vice versa. However, this is slightly offset by the fact that its kind of a pain in the ass to hold marine RTs as well due to the map size especially east wing which is really far for a natural RT. A box blocking the long shot to stability, would also help make stability even easier for aliens to hold.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am curious as to how cafeteria will be removed as a tp. If it doens't have a tp, it and landing pad will seem mostly irrelevant.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    3del! wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the map is that from stability you can siege departures and generator hives with very little distance for the arcs to travel. On top of that, you can afterwards siege locker from courtyard if necessary. This happened in one of the wasabi showmatches. My suggestion for a fix would be to move the generator techpoint, so it can't be sieged from stability. Make it siegable from Maintenance instead. I don't think the map needs to be reduced to only 4 TP, but i think cafeteria is a bit to easy to secure. Although the recent changes may have made it more accessible. Didn't play yet, so not sure about it.

Oh god, yes. I love the idea of just turning Generator 180 degrees, so the hive and RT is on the west side instead of east.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2013
    The only potential issue with flipping Gen is that it would then be ARC'able from Maintenance (possibly even back by the RT?). The hallways might have to get shifted a bit to accommodate that. But it would probably be better than having it ARC'd from Stability so +1
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any word if this map is going to be fixed up so it can be used in season 3? I think it's a great map and with a little shifting around of rooms and hallways it would probably be fine for competitive play
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Removing cafeteria is definitely a step in the right direction. +1
    With caf gone, how does bar's relevancy hold? It's in an awkward position without caf imo, but still a valid siege location for locker - but why would you with courtyard's location?

I see the map playing out with marines constant pressure on stability and locker since holding locker is almost the same as holding courtyard due to proximity (and an elevated entrance into court - nice!). Since stability is so important and it's so close to terminal, phase tech's use is also diminished until arcs (should there be any). Also, I'm not a fan of the location of the power node in departures - open area near it with a huge staircase that is easy to exploit movement with as a marine. However, I'm unsure where to place it.

At the very least, should an alien team choose to gorge stability, that gorge should be able to prep his defenses before marines get there every time. Currently, I'm not sure if this is the case.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Keep caf tech point and make aliens spawn in it with marines always in generator.

Put a tech point in landing pad right next to the power node.

Route blocking from courtyard would be too strong so add a vent from east wing joining onto the existing vent from courtyard --> departures. (maybe remove the part that goes to courtyard)

Also add a vent from back alley to ball court.

Flip terminal room so that you can't ARC from east wing (Massive room, should be able to send marines in to fight)
    OR
    Make terminal a lot smaller and add cover.

The 3 problems I see with my suggestion here is that Bar is far too difficult for marines to attack, aliens can get an easy 4 RTs with a gorge blocking terminal from central, and that it goes against the lore kinda what with there being a dropship on landing pad...

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Too bad old faggers still think it's the old docking and deny any possibility of it being played.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    I agree with the 180° generator rotation. This will reduce the importance of stability (it's a bit awkward imo if one single small location is the key for the game on a map)
  • EastwoodEastwood BAVARIA Join Date: 2013-02-06 Member: 182861Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about turning it by 90 degrees counterclockwise? The hive should be far enough from being sieged by either Maintenance or Stability. Cover is necessary thou so people can't snipe it that easily from the entrances.
  • co0kieco0kie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167349Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also think departures hive should be relocated in a position where it can not be arc'd from stability monitoring
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    As Stability is always a strong point for Marines, why not flip the spawns? Marines always spawn Generator / Departures, and Aliens always spawn Terminal / Cafeteria?

Then, the only change I see necessary is a slightly smaller "build area" in Generator for all the Marine structures...?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For me, the problem has largely been the uneven nature of the spawning locations. NS2 maps work best when the spawns follow standard geometric shapes imo (e.g. triangle, square, diamond, pentagon, hexagon, etc). For docking, the current spawn layout looks like this:
    2WExaVL.png
    Its not hard to see how Cafeteria and Generator suck as spawns or Locker and Terminal are great. To fix, I'd try to make the spawns more like a regular pentagon with (roughly) even sides. Here's my quick paint attempt:
    rGrKMpu.png
    I'd have cafeteria/terminal as marine spawns and locker/generator/departures as alien spawns. Also, for those who dislike close spawns, you could restrict it so if marines spawn in terminal, aliens can't spawn in departures, and the same for cafeteria/locker.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think removing either Cafe tech point would be the simplest way with the changes to gen. That would prevent the 2x easy tech point for marines that don't really work well as alien hives.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Cafe tech point is deleted in the new version, its just an rt room.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dux wrote: »

A shame, because I like cafe as a room way too much.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    dux wrote: »

So now the whole south side of the map is completely redundant?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    So Docking becomes the new Veil?
    So like, yeah, but no?
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    The map is your vision dux, you should know. If you don't know who will?
    I was being sarcastic. And the map isn't just my vision.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    CrushaK wrote: »
    So Docking becomes the new Veil?

As in "only 4 tech points and aliens can have a random spawn in 3 of them"?