Competitive Players on "Rookie Friendly" Servers

Comments

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Mc_Intire wrote: »
    So you are using newbies as practice bots for aiming? Wow, just... wow. Isn't there a NS2 bot already available? Why not use that one instead of some poor guys who just want to have fun?
    No ns2 bots are smart enough nor behave the same as live people do. And I don't think he said live newbies = bots. Some one asked if you learned any thing from facing new people and he answered. The fact is getting ambushed by 3-4 skulks all at once whether they be newbies or skilled players is good practice as is many other things.
    As for practicing your awareness, you can also do that on a server with more skilled players. Okay, the penalty for missing that skulk in a vent is bigger, but hey, respawn and give it another go.
    You can't tell the skill of players in a server from the server browser.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As for practicing your awareness, you can also do that on a server with more skilled players.

The entire premise for most of the arguments in favor of competitive players joining public servers is that there are NO servers with a higher-skilled population. From the point of view of a competitive player, a pub is a pub, with servers with different 'reputation' in the matter having minimal difference in skill. If there were servers with a healthy player base and a guaranteed high skill level, then of course competitive players would join those servers. It just happens there are no such servers.

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Flipper wrote: »
    Think of it as training, you only get better by playing better players.

Best if you don't divide a already tiny community.

that's only true if the other team is relatively close to your skill level. D4 vs D3, or semipro against pro.

Think T-ball kids can get better playing against the Yankees? Pewee hockey kids from any NHL team?

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    From my point of view:

Rookie green labeled servers are supposed to be a safer learning environment than normal public servers. New players or people who want to improve their skill should be able to go there without fear of being dominated.

If a new player is dominated and thrashed, they probably wont play NS2 very much, if at all again. This is not good for the longevity of the game.

Competitive players of high skill level should be allowed to join these, to help new players get better. They can command, they can defend or take point. If they dominate, they know it's not helping new players who are on and it's a selfish behavior. It's within their power to help or hinder the server.

It's also the responsibility of the server admins to regulate this. If you find a player is dominating and it's affecting the majority of players enjoyment, ask that player to change their role in-game or ask them to leave. They are aware they are on a newbie-friendly server and should expect as much. If they fail to do that, then I would kick the player.

It's rare that there are ONLY newbie servers to join, and waiting in line for another server only takes a few mins in general. Competitive players need to use their best judgment and their skills for the benefit of the game and server if they decide to join a newbie server.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Virsoul wrote: »
    Also, if an admin or a player asks me to leave a server I usually oblige if there is another server that I'm able to play on.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/wyzIHP6.jpg

Where am I suppose to go?

Join a different rookie server, perhaps those rookies are a bit better.Raise your ping filter, play later, play a scrimm,or actually mentor the new players!
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    Which is why I suggested cutting down some of the newbie server wood to create one or two servers for skilled players. Given they are properly named and tagged, and given that skilled players actually care to join such a server (someone has to start or the server never gets full), at least one or two full servers per continent should be possible, giving the "pro" players a place to practice on their terms.

What kinda ticked me off was the implied ignorance towards other players in Syknik's post regarding his behaviour in public games. He even stated that he used bots for his target practice in NS1, so how is it a step down if he uses dumb bots in NS2? Even if the skill of the bots is not the same I see no reason to join a random server and possibly (there is still the chance of joining a server with skilled players) ruining the evening of several other people just for that.

Other than that, I have taken some of my free time and searched for a good server with players of my desired skill level to play on and favorited a few of them. In most cases, one of them has a slot free for me and everyone is happy. Even if the more skilled players have no server full of people with their exact skill level, they could at least make the effort of picking one that has players that are not completely incompetent so the difference in skill is not as glaring. Who knows, it might lead to a server in their region becoming a harbor for skilled/competetive players on it's own, without any admin having to tag it that.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you are using newbies as practice bots for aiming? Wow, just... wow. Isn't there a NS2 bot already available? Why not use that one instead of some poor guys who just want to have fun?

Pretty sure anytime someone joins a server they're practicing against the other team (newbie or not). If you aren't actively practicing and just going in clueless and not thinking about what you are doing, then you won't get better. I try to focus on what i'm doing so i can get better.

From my point of view, if players are casual and/or new they should play on rookie servers, if they don't want to play versus better players. If players want to play versus new players, casuals, and more skilled players, they should go to normal. Or simply make a "skilled" server mode, and have it show up as red in the play list, i'm sure that's not difficult.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    My server (and I expect this is going to remain the same now that Vission Toboi owns it) is green labelled but it's always welcomed players of all calibers. All In players play there quite frequently and the only member I've ever banned was ADHD, and not because of his skill, and later has been removed from the banlist after talking with the leader). Anyway, the point is, even when a good player gets banned, it's not *simply* just banning a good player, it's banning a good player with no regard for the impact he has on the server.

Up til now I've talked about having no issue kicking (initially) then banning players for stacking teams or wrecking the fun on the server. But when you make statements like that people tend to take it to much more of an extreme than what it really is. Looking up all competitive player steam ids and pre-emptively banning would be extremely overkill. There are quite a good many highly skilled competitive players that don't simply join a server to make it their personal playground. This is actually one of the better communities I've seen in regards to that, and probably a good reason why this game has endeared itself to me moreso than most other shooters. For that reason alone you can't simply issue a blanket policy to all players in that regard, and claim to be a good server admin.
  • the_eaglethe_eagle Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185152Members
    As long as TK makes it clear that it's a learning server, that pros must help noobs learn, he has every right to kick or ban players dominating the server and being jerks about it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I will say it again.
    try to join with a buddy who is also skilled and join different teams to even the balance. So many newbies do not mind that.
    Else hold back a bit, go gorge, build more. Etc

Yes.. server admins having a spot for them to go would probably help.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    edited May 2013
    hozz wrote: »
    protip for these people: not playing is also a choice
    Suggesting that a skilled player should not play the game because he is too good is ridiculous. However, the issue of banning comes down to a server-to-server basis. If your rookie friendly server has regular admins and you enforce a policy of newbies only, by all means ban everyone you think is too good, it's your server.

edit: Just want to point out that there are quite a few hacker clans who troll pubs by impersonating competitive players. Check their ns2id in console with sv_status and look up the ns2stats pages to compare.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited May 2013
    I call BS on the people saying they can't find a server that isnt packed with noobs. I play at all hours of the day and I am never unable to find at least 1 or 2 servers with medium-high skilled players such as KKG, mavericks pub, guns & lerks, etc.. yes the last two sometimes have some greens in them but they usually have more veterans than greens.
    So for the competitive players to go join a server that is 50% or more new players, go 50:1 then throw their hands up and say "Oh jeez sorry I can't find another server!" is a total BS excuse. You can always find another server, and in the VERY rare case when you can't, then you can fill a different role with the noobs. You guys claim they are learning when you stomp them? So your goal is to help them learn huh? In that case be the damn commander, and teach them strats! Or be a gorge / point man and teach your team as you go if there is already a comm. And I have seen some people do this when they realize the other players are new , and to those people I have nothing but respect. But to those of you who use the noobs as punching bags, and you just remain silent on the mic while you jetpack / lerk / fade around the map just dominating everyone you come across, shame on you. You might be "improving" your aim (I still call BS on this) but you are seriously hurting the NS2 community as a whole! Its hard enough to get new players to try NS2, and even harder to keep them around when they just get rolled every time they play.

I hate to use a cliche but with great skill comes great responsibility. You might be very good at this game and think "oh well too bad for those who suck, get better" but that is incredibly selfish. If you want to consider yourself a true 'member' of the ns2 community you need to take it upon yourself to realize when YOU are ruining a game for everyone else, and stop it. Use your experience to teach the newer players, not use them for live target practice.
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    @ezay

"From my experience"

ESRB "online play is not rated, experience may vary"

No discrimination towards anyone; just from my personal experience when I was on european servers and tried to offer tips to some of the beginners, I was

1) trash talked
    2) made sounds at, like "bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh mcdonalds"

First off, I'm a marathon runner and don't go near fast food such as mcdonalds; anyway going way off topic. point is that was my experience, if that's all you got out of my post then shame on you

Yeah that does not change anything. Saying "from my experience X is Y, but I'm NOT saying all Xs are Ys" is still discrimination, just badly hidden. I've reported you and I strongly believe that kind of ideas should lead to a straight ban if not keeped for yourself.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    can we all tone down on the hate?
    This is in essence a beautiful topic which I hope we can friendly and constructively explore.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry but skill does not bring responsibility. If newer players want help they are always welcome to ask, but the main problem is most new players don't ask for help and rather complain and accuse. If they truly want to get better they'll play more, they'll ask for help and they will then eventually improve with time. The initial difficulty in NS2 is aiming and learning the maps, after that its movement, positioning, learning how to play the classes properly and game sense. Most of those come with experience and time.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is in essence a beautiful topic which I hope we can friendly and constructively explore.

No, we must construct additional methods of hatred to levy against each other!

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    joederp wrote: »
    WillzZz wrote: »
    And I 100% disagree with people who think a noob playing with pros will learn anything from getting rolled.. you learn nothing, except maybe "this game sucks I just die constantly, uninstall time!" .. you need to be able to actually LIVE for more than 10 seconds to learn how to use lerk, fade, etc.. Once you have 100+ hours then MAYBE you can know enough to learn from watching pros but until then, please.. people who use that excuse just say that to make themselves feel better about rolling a bunch of noobs for an ego boost.

Suggesting that someone needs 100+ hours to pick up on informed strategic and gameplay decisions is an insult to basic human intelligence.

Really? Find me someone with under 100 hours in ns2 that could make a competent member of any competitive group. But for the sake of argument, call it 50 hours. 25. Whatever constitutes a 'new' player in your mind.. my point remains valid.

hours don't mean anything. if you're competitive in another FPS, your aim transfers over. all you need to do is get used to the differing play style. i'd say it would take no more than 15-25 hours maximum to be on par, assuming you're good at another skillful FPS. i could easily go down my steam friends list and name at least a dozen and a half people that would enter the NS2 scene at the top level.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I call BS on the people saying they can't find a server that isnt packed with noobs. I play at all hours of the day and I am never unable to find at least 1 or 2 servers with medium-high skilled players such as KKG, mavericks pub, guns & lerks, etc.. yes the last two sometimes have some greens in them but they usually have more veterans than greens.
    So for the competitive players to go join a server that is 50% or more new players, go 50:1 then throw their hands up and say "Oh jeez sorry I can't find another server!" is a total BS excuse. You can always find another server, and in the VERY rare case when you can't, then you can fill a different role with the noobs. You guys claim they are learning when you stomp them? So your goal is to help them learn huh? In that case be the damn commander, and teach them strats! Or be a gorge / point man and teach your team as you go if there is already a comm. And I have seen some people do this when they realize the other players are new , and to those people I have nothing but respect. But to those of you who use the noobs as punching bags, and you just remain silent on the mic while you jetpack / lerk / fade around the map just dominating everyone you come across, shame on you. You might be "improving" your aim (I still call BS on this) but you are seriously hurting the NS2 community as a whole! Its hard enough to get new players to try NS2, and even harder to keep them around when they just get rolled every time they play.

I hate to use a cliche but with great skill comes great responsibility. You might be very good at this game and think "oh well too bad for those who suck, get better" but that is incredibly selfish. If you want to consider yourself a true 'member' of the ns2 community you need to take it upon yourself to realize when YOU are ruining a game for everyone else, and stop it. Use your experience to teach the newer players, not use them for live target practice.

While I agree with most of what you said, your initial statement, or should I say assumption, is completely wrong. The problem is that for a really good competitive player there isn't much difference between green rookies and your everyday pub hero with 100-200 hours under his belt. Your statement of "I am never unable to find at least 1 or 2 servers with medium-high skilled players" is moot, since (this is an unfair assumption, I admit, I do not know your true skill level) we see things from a different part of the spectrum. People you classify as mid-high skill would still probably be no challenge for a good competitive player. There might be a geographical difference here, since I play exclusively on European servers, and I expect that you play exclusively on American servers, but I doubt the average pub skill differences are significant across the puddle. For a good competitive player, the only ones posing any challenge on public servers are other competitive players, who they most likely know by name.

I agree with you that if a person has a much higher skill level than the rest of the server, he should not stomp and instead be constructive and helpful. But claiming that competitive players can find challenging opponents on public servers is just not true in most cases.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    So for the competitive players to go join a server that is 50% or more new players, go 50:1 then throw their hands up and say "Oh jeez sorry I can't find another server!" is a total BS excuse.

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure KKG and guns & lerks are 24p servers, and isn't mavick's pub a green server? Regardless, lots of players don't like to play on 24p servers because it doesn't provide as much of a quality experience as a 12-16p server. I know that I personally will always avoid 24p servers if possible and will go to a green server before I go to 24p.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    So for the competitive players to go join a server that is 50% or more new players, go 50:1 then throw their hands up and say "Oh jeez sorry I can't find another server!" is a total BS excuse.

Unless I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure KKG and guns & lerks are 24p servers, and isn't mavick's pub a green server? Regardless, lots of players don't like to play on 24p servers because it doesn't provide as much of a quality experience as a 12-16p server. I know that I personally will always avoid 24p servers if possible and will go to a green server before I go to 24p.

Playing on 24p servers would probably be better as one player, regardless of how good they are, has less impact on the overall game versus playing on a 12-16p server. Also, being willing to play on 24p servers gives you a lot more servers to choose from.
    I agree with Therius in the skillgap between experienced and competitive.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited May 2013
    Also, if an admin or a player asks me to leave a server I usually oblige if there is another server that I'm able to play on.

Join a different rookie server, perhaps those rookies are a bit better.Raise your ping filter, play later, play a scrimm,or actually mentor the new players!

out of all the posts made against this thread, Virsoul said it best by showing you a screenshot of what i experience almost daily when i look for a server to join.

join a different rookie server? perhaps they are better? well what if they are worse? join another again?
    raise your ping filter above 100? you honestly think i would have fun playing on high ping servers? high ping to me is anything about 80
    play at a different time?...........not going to even bother
    playing a scrim is what i would love to do all the time, however not all my clam mates are avialable and even then, we would need another clan

mentoring new players is the only valid thing you said in that whole sentence, however this does not work all the time, i had a situation where i was asked "how did you know i was there?" i told him "i heard you step" he responded with "i was walking" i responded with "there is a bug with the skulk causing noise without the actual player hearing it" he just responded with "bullsh!t you have wallhack"

its nice to see you treating new players well and making sure they have fun, however its not nice to see you treating competitive players second class, it seems like your solution to making sure new players have fun is having a bad effect on competitive players.

MY solution: have less "rookie friendly servers" OR have more non rookie friendly servers that actually appeal to competitive players with
    good pings
    populated
    12-18 player slots, not 24-32 player

the only server that has this is "keep calm and belly slide" and yes i have that as favorite, yes i try to play on that when i can, and guess what? i see alot of competitive players play on this server, just last night that server was full of the VERY BEST players playing on it, bitey, ossified, virsoul just to name a few, no i cannot play on that when i wish, so i play somewhere else, which is usually lands on the only 2 servers that are rookie friendly that meets my filter for my enjoyment of the game.

i hope UWE opens some sort of official competitive server or something.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members

The quality of experience, no matter the size of the server, is all based on the players in that server. Mavick's, while listed as a green server, has a large regular player base community that usually just plays on that server. There is certainly just as much of a "quality experience" on it compared to smaller servers.
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members

Well, it's not exactly the most beautiful topic I've ever seen. Umm, I don't think anything friendly has happened, and errr, also not much constructively.

This is actually the most hate-filled thread I've encountered on this forum. I can understand why; it's effectively creating a division amongst our own community.

Some folks are fighting for the newbies, others for the experienced, both have some valid arguments. I feel quite sure, though, that some newbies reading this thread will decide that they don't want to be the cause of so much aggro, and will find something else to play, and that some experienced players will decide that they don't want to be the cause of so much aggro, and will find something else to play.

I don't really have any suggestions regarding the original post.

Can't we all just get along?

Hopefully we'll overcome this hurdle, together, perhaps, or divided. However it goes down, the problem must be solved one way or another, otherwise we'll become our own worst enemy and tear each other part, destroying what we've worked so hard to achieve.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Frizzlecat wrote: »
    This is actually the most hate-filled thread I've encountered on this forum.

Pft.

Do a search on "concede". Now there's some top-quality hate for ya.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

Are you being sarcastic? Virsoul and the other competitive players have every right to play the damn game and not have it a be a job.

• FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    edited May 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »

Pft.

No thanks.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    CrazyEddie wrote: »

Pft.

No thanks.

You need 2 more votes to concede the argument.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    this is what happens when there is no skill-based division of players

shocker
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    edited May 2013
    I dont even once join a rookie server as I started to play this game, I uncheck "rookie mode" in options at very beginning.
    I think that played with more expirience players learns you about the game much faster, with all punishemnts and pain, at end, it's a "gain". So, I cant understand why experienced players join a rookie server. Even if there is "no choice" I will be join a not full 8\18 server and wait, till the number getting higher.