The weirdest key bindings I've ever seen (nxzl. GLISS)

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
edited May 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I was watching Gliss's videos on youtube and came across this - he started evolving lerk and then opened his options bindings tab - I was like wtf, how do you even play like that?
I once tried binding V for shoot/hit - that is so horrible because you're using one hand for movement and attacking and I find it very confusing.

Comments

• PoliniPolini Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164602Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play since Hl1 with mouse2 to move Forward and Enter to Secondary attack. And i cant play with another configuration yet.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    i've seen similar with players that play with high sensitivity, typically so their crosshair doesn't jerk around when spamming mouse1 (esp for pistol).

mine is a bit different too. it's just what I grew up using, haven't found a reason to change it yet. still feel it's better than the generic wasd. i can press any key you can while moving and a few more.
    q reload
    w forward
    e left
    r right
    s back

my pinky manages
    a quickswitch (if the game had it)
    ctrl crouch
    shift walk/run
    capslock mumble
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    For a while I played with mouse 2 to move forward. An artifact from the rainbow 6 days.

Now the weirdest thing I have is that I use invert.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I use Caps Lock to reload. That's all I've got.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Odd key setup? Since HL1, aye.

g = forward
    h = backwards
    f = strafe L
    j = strafe R
    space = jump
    k = sprint
    m = duck
    u = use
    d = flashlight
    i, o and l are filler keys.
    Alt gr is for voice chat.

mousebuttons are attacks, evolve & scroll weapon. :)

anything else is shoved on another key as I dont need it in immediate reach.
  • NazNaz Join Date: 2013-04-27 Member: 185009Members
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Gliss' aren't that odd tbh, I've seen MUCH weirder, mostly from old quake players.

I know someone who used arrow keys for movement, right ctrl for fire etc.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Why do the worst configs have the lowest FPS in menu as well, I'd rather play with a steering wheel or xbox controller.

I've bound K for kill, mouse2 for pistol script, p was for pause lag teleporting that's been patched out, M for MAP. Nah it's c.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    People who don't use the mouse to move are not glorious UT and Quake 2 players
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Some really strange bindings here.
    Odd key setup? Since HL1, aye.

g = forward
    h = backwards
    f = strafe L
    j = strafe R
    space = jump
    k = sprint
    m = duck
    u = use
    d = flashlight
    i, o and l are filler keys.
    Alt gr is for voice chat.

mousebuttons are attacks, evolve & scroll weapon. :)

anything else is shoved on another key as I dont need it in immediate reach.

Why would you bind forward and backwards so you waste two fingers on it?

Anyway. I deem all your bindings vastly inefficient! The only true binding looks like this:

wasd = regular
    shift = reload
    space = blink etc
    Alt = sprint etc
    Control = crouch
    f = flashlight/alienvision
    r = mumble
    lmb = shoot
    rmb = jump
    mouse4 (thumb) = map
    mouse5 (thumb) = ingame voice

Oh, and mouse inverted ofc!
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    Been playing with variations of this since Doom 2 / Duke 3D. I used to play duke3d with the right hand on the keyboard arrow keys of course, but then I switched to mouse for Quake 1 and 2.

Now that's just reckless ornithopter flying.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Le moi:

Move Forward = Arrow Up
    Move Backward = Arrow Down
    Strafe Left = Arrow Left
    Strafe Right = Arrow Right
    Jump = Right Shift
    Movement Special = Right Control
    Crouch = NumPad 0
    Scoreboard = Tab
    Primary Attack = LMB
    Secondary Attack = RMB
    Reload = MMB
    Use = Enter
    Drop Weapon = NumPad Del
    Evolve Menu = Home
    Show Map = \
    Flashlight = /
    Taunt = '
    Chat = .
    TeamChat = ,
    Request Medpack = Delete
    Request Order = End
    Request Ammo = Page Down

Basically everything around the Arrow keys. Been using that in pretty much every game. Worked out pretty well back in my UT days.
    The default WASD bindings are not my thing for whatever reason. Perhaps the gap around the Arrow keys helps me to orientate where all the keys are.
    NumPad keys are usually used for all kind of special ability stuff, extra mouse buttons for actions that I need to perform often and quick in combat, like a "Switch to Shieldgun and use it's AltFire and switch back to previous weapon on release" macro in UT2k4 against falldamage deaths or a "Switch to Linkgun and use it's AltFire and switch back to previous weapon on release" macro in ONS to quickly heal whatever I run across.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    a&s = left & right strafe
    d = jump
    c = crouch
    mouse1=shoot
    mouse2=forward
    f=back
    space = blink,leap
    mouse3 = ss, sprint
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    I've always wished for a mouse that had two buttons instead of the mouse wheel, so that I could put all 4 directional controls on the mouse in the usual WASD shape. Put jump and crouch on the mouse side for your thumb, then dump all other controls on the keyboard. I think it would make both moving and aiming much more intuitive and precise, complex maneuvers would become single gestures, and most importantly you'd never have to sacrifice movement control for auxiliary actions and never lose those precious milliseconds of reaction time.

To explain: 3 fingers are dedicated to directional controls, one each for "left" and "right", and one finger that alternates "forward" and "back". That leaves two fingers to cover 3+ remaining movements, jump, crouch, and sprint. I use space for jump and left-alt for crouch so it's possible for one finger (thumb) to handle both of those. The remaining finger, pinky, handles sprint and walk (if the game has both). That's all my fingers, dedicated to all my movement. Anything else I want to accomplish with my left hand, like flashlight or map, means sacrificing momentary control over my ability to maneuver. I don't like doing that, so I bind as much as I can to my mouse. The only thing I have bound to the keyboard besides movement is the flashlight and chat. The rest is crammed onto the thumb area of my mouse. BUT, if I could move all my movement controls to the mouse, I could simply dedicate my whole right hand to all my movement, and never, ever, have to sacrifice maneuverability for other actions. It also means instead of anchoring three fingers on the left hand to one spot (WASD or ESDF), really only the primary fire needs to be an anchor, and four other fingers are free to move about and adapt to situational needs.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @KwisatzHaderach
    Simple.. because I aint.

wasd cramps fingers together and always felt off for me. Not counting the thumb I do place my other 4 fingers on fghj yes. It feels more relaxed and ergonomic.
    Also easier to rest the rest of the hand on the bottom of the keyboard, below the spacebar.

"But you said you do not waste a finger by having both forward/back keys".
    Those fingers are responsible for ty and nb fillter. Also if I move my finger for rightstrafe to a key like k or I, I can use my finger for backwards to keep hitting strafe.
    All in all I hardly need to move my hand as most of the keys I use are within reach.

R is also a filer key I use for reload for example. It can be a ok way to move when you are used to it, I think.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    HeatSurge wrote: »

Now that's just reckless ornithopter flying.

It's not! The inverted mouse shadow on the second moon has spoken!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    And I get told I'm weird for having jump on right mouse click and space for crouch in every game I play. I started using that when I was learning how to bunnyhop in NS1 and kept sticking to walls. :p

Most of my other keys are default, except the two thumb keys take care of secondary attack/movement special and voice is always left shift, unless it's 3rd party voice then it's left control.
    edited May 2013
    hahaha.
    I did a double bind for jump on both spacebar and middlemouse specificly for bunnyhop. (NS1)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you like normal controls, you never have to complain about key binding options!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    dear lord, right click for jump is my thing from q3, went to right click crouch and space jump for ET and back to just right click for jump in NS2, everything else is pretty standard. V for alt fire and c for crouch. non-wasd movement just seems uber-counterintuitive.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't know who came up with the convention that WASD is the "it" configuration for gaming. I guess it's kind of like keyboard layouts and mice having to have buttons on top, and all other "common standards" that aren't necessarily practical or efficient.

Configurability is one of the features of PCs which I value the most, and luckily it's a popular one.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Some troll postings here, lmao
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    draktok wrote: »
    People who don't use the mouse to move are not glorious UT and Quake 2 players
    Yahtzee!

And I'll add : people who don't use inverted mouse are not glorious quake 1 / flight sim players. :-P

I actually made custom bindings that i use to this day, using z and x for strafing in quake 2 (lithium and action mods) because I found that it opened up the keys around the s, z, x area for everything else far better than the embedded wasd format.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to have the exact joystick as shown in a scene in Star Wars: A New Hope. My father's Thrustmaster FCS MK 3 or something like that, I loved that thing. Used it in every game that could support it... Descent, Star Wars: Rebel Assault, and Forced Alliance (great childhood when I wasn't shoveling goat crap).

It lasted all the way up to Mechwarrior 4 and then finally died on me. I switched back to keyboard-only and didn't really use the mouse outside of RTS and adventure games. When I did start using the mouse in FPS games, I got used to the standard WASD scheme, and I think it works a lot better.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I actually adapt to whatever game I plays default bindings for the most part, only thing I make sure is always similar are things like quick switch/sprinting/WASD and etc

I've had a few tf2 players use ESDF and IJKL movement simply because they have more keys on the board to play with
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And I'll add : people who don't use inverted mouse are not glorious quake 1 / flight sim players. :-P

Hey now, you can't lump all inverted mouse users into that! lol... I got my inverted mouse habit from playing... some old star wars game.. think it was called x-wing fighter or tie fighter.... something like that. (guess you could make the argument as being a flight sim.)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This won't scare me, I used to play Q1 without mouse.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ESDF god-tier

idk how you WASD plebs do it
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    TALV instead of wasd, footpedals for left and right mousebutton and my logitech momo force for aiming, Jump on the X button of my xbox controller reload on a hotkey from my monitor. And im doing all this while basejumping.

Only pro pong players from back in the days will know...