So... about the Crusher...

Comments

• SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    That good old crusher....
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    LagLight wrote: »
    Its not like the Crusher Vent is the only way into that room. I can remember there being 6 different ways including the extra vent above the door frame. So what is soooo important about getting through that vent anyway.

Even without the crushing machine part, it would still be a long tunnel that Marines can shoot straight down without any fancy jumping to reach it.

It's the most expedient way if you're in sorting...
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    I like it, it's good to see some movement and new mechanism on the maps.
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    I like the crusher, I think it should get a global kill counter.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was more fun when it was a tech point room for sure, splat! <3
  • AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    I agree. There should at least be implemented a "sign" or "warning" that lets the players around it know when the crusher is about to go down.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Is this for real?

A map that is never played in a competitive setting has a world object that can kill a careless player. Kinda reminds me of that thread complaining about how you can fall into the black abyss.

May as well complain that Refinery isn't worksafe, and they should put gridmesh over all the lava areas. You only need to die to the crusher once and the second time you are there you notice it has a pattern, and never die to it again unless you panic or forget.

It's not even as bad as say, a fade without blink trying to SS over certain gaps in summit and tweaking a railing and dying.

Mineshaft for me is the most fun map to play on. It's not balanced but it's got a great mix of different levels, different areas and great terrain/features to run around on. I'm all for things like the crusher, especially in maps that aren't played competitively.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited March 2013
    It's cool the first time you see it. After that it becomes more and more of an annoyance. Remove please.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    I remember one time I was entering Crusher as a marine.
    My teammate was just killed by 3 skulks and a gorge.
    I had only an LMG, a pistol and my axe. So I attempted to go for a suicide kill on the gorge.
    When I entered Crusher I immediately killed 1 skulk.
    The other 2 skulks and the gorge were caught off guard and they started walking backwards... right into the crusher.
    And all three died.

Then I laughed...
    I laughed so long that I alien reinforcements came and killed me.
    I couldn't aim or shoot properly cause I was laughing too hard.

Crusher OP, unfair advantage. Nerf it please.
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members

They would if they thought they could get 2% balance out of it to make the winrates 50/50. It's clearly marine favored though at the moment so it would be in the wrong direction.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It's a little inconsistent with the Smelting buckets in Refinery which have (almost) no collision. Lava instagib is another weird one. Kinda sucks that you can lose your fade to a small misstep.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    NS2 now has a new Race.
    Marines
    Aliens
    Crushers

Crushers are a mechanical species that kill their enemies in 1 hit by crushing them with their nutcracker jaws.
    Lifeforms include...
    Crusher
    Crusherer
    Crushest

Everyone agrees that this race is OP so the idea had to be scrapped before the release.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Farknut wrote: »

They would if they thought they could get 2% balance out of it to make the winrates 50/50. It's clearly marine favored though at the moment so it would be in the wrong direction.

Nah, marines crouch slower than Skulks walk through it, so marines are much more likely to get crushed.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Farknut wrote: »

Nah, marines crouch slower than Skulks walk through it, so marines are much more likely to get crushed.

marines don't even try to tempt fate by slow walking under the crusher. that's why it's marine favored.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anybody remember that map from NS1 where the marines start in the bridge of a spaceship, at the top of a long ramp? It had hive locations like 'Mother', etc. There was a door near the second RT near marine start, it was controlled by a button. This door could kill anything, including onos. I remember a few games where onos/fades run away and a quick thinking marine slapped the button to insta-kill the alien. It was also a never-ending source of trolling if you could get the two sides of the door to be misaligned.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Anybody remember that map from NS1 where the marines start in the bridge of a spaceship, at the top of a long ramp? It had hive locations like 'Mother', etc. There was a door near the second RT near marine start, it was controlled by a button. This door could kill anything, including onos. I remember a few games where onos/fades run away and a quick thinking marine slapped the button to insta-kill the alien. It was also a never-ending source of trolling if you could get the two sides of the door to be misaligned.

ns_nancy
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Wait, people actually play mineshaft?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wait, people actually play mineshaft?

Pshaw!
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i've loved it since one time i was alone at the crusher with multiple skulks coming at me, then it came down in the nick of time and crushed the good skulk player so i could take care of the rest.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've never died to it. I don't think i've ever seen anyone die to it either.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Crusher needs to be an unlock researched from the Proto Lab.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Could we get an airlock in Descent then?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Venatos wrote: »
    as far as i remember its tied to the powernode

it should be, it isn't anymore though.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Don't run into it then?

If you aren't confident about your ability to safely navigate it, don't use it, use one of the other ways instead. Your complaint seems to be 'crusher is hard to attack for aliens' rather than 'the crusher itself is unfair'.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Venatos wrote: »
    as far as i remember its tied to the powernode

From my observations i conclude it IS tied to the powernode but enabled by default and only disabled if the power was up and is down again. Much like the lights.

• Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I have lost a fade to the crusher. The only reason I'm upset is because I was waiting for it to crush. I did not think I was under it. Indeed on my screen I saw it come down in front of me, and I died. If you are going to crush, the hit box for it has to at least be accurate to what I see on my screen. I should only die if I see it coming down on top of me.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    I have lost a fade to the crusher. The only reason I'm upset is because I was waiting for it to crush. I did not think I was under it. Indeed on my screen I saw it come down in front of me, and I died. If you are going to crush, the hit box for it has to at least be accurate to what I see on my screen. I should only die if I see it coming down on top of me.

I have stood at the entrance to the crusher from Sorting side as a fade looking at it thinking "do I?". I didn't. You can go round as fade probably faster anyway without blink by SS/double jumping so it's an odd place to be as fade I reckon!

Gotta be annoying though! :P
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    If you haven't seen/heard the crusher drop whilst you're making your way down the conveyor, then it WILL hit you if you don't stop. The time intervals in which it moves IS regular and not random, so it's a case of learning when it's due a drop.

Using F-vision to navigate that vent(?) is preferred as you can see the edge of the crushing section easily, and so know how far to go before waiting. It's a second or two at most, usually.

I actually quite like the crusher. Trying to flee down that vent to escape and heal knowing the crusher is due to drop quite soon is exhilarating.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Could we get an airlock in Descent then?

Babblers in Space !!!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personaly I like it