So... about the Crusher...

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
I hate it. At best it feels like a gimmick for the map. Simply to show off that we can put some nice dynamic stuff in there.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with map specific dynamics in general (I actually suggested the sandstorm that appears in fixed intervals in Tribes Ascend's Bella Omega map).
But there is a line that was crossed when you actually die from seemingly random events in a map that you have no control over and no warning about. At times it even seems like the mechanic is waiting especially for a player to walk there before it triggers, simply to trololo you in the face with a "oh look, we have natural cause deaths here!".

It affects gameplay. Marines might be setting up in Crusher right at that point or you could be the last guy to join who could turn the team fight to a victory for your team in that location - and then the damn random thing comes down on you and blasts you to hell. Tough luck if you just went Lerk for 30 pres.

You might argue that it's a conscious risk that you take by taking that shortcut, but honestly there is not much else what the map can offer. Brew Room and the tunnel from Sorting to Crusher are long open corridors that make you a nice target and give marines plenty of preparation time, paired with an audible door opening. You basically have to rely on this death trap in a lot of cases.

I wonder if that thing is actually in the NSL version of the map, if such a version actually exists.

I'd be okay if there was some button on the side of the machine that marines could press to activate the Crusher once, if they know that an alien is about to come through. Then it would at least not be some randomness that I blame on the map.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    It doesn't come down randomly though, also "Natural Selection" :P

And smart marines setting up in Crusher will keep an eye on the conveyor belt, making you a sitting duck anyways when using that thing as an attack vector
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I still haven't figured out why it is active sometimes, but not others. I figure there's a button somewhere or it's tied to a power node, but I haven't found anything consistent.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not a fan of it either. It would make more sense if the conveyor was actually working.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    as far as i remember its tied to the powernode
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    edited March 2013
    Would be nice if there was a flashing yellow light right before it came down or a buzzer noise; something to indicate it is about to happen.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Maybe if the power node being built caused it to work, while taking down the node made it break. But I agree that it is annoying. I always wait for it to crush before going under it.
  • StripetailsStripetails Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182644Members, NS2 Playtester
    Calego wrote: »
    Maybe if the power node being built caused it to work, while taking down the node made it break. But I agree that it is annoying. I always wait for it to crush before going under it.

I could get behind this.

The crusher has a predictable pattern to it, last time I checked it crushes every 5-7 seconds. (Depending on when you start counting.)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    You wonder why you die to a crusher while the warning signs & the area both indicate a crusher?
    Aw come on.. lets have some map reality.. I like the crusher.

Hell I have been active on the newbie weekend and guess how many I saw die vs the crusher? 0
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    I saw a guy lose his fade and a poor babbler gave his life as well.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2013
    I am for letting the crusher stay in the game, as long as those huge, moving heavy pots in smelting would cause marines to topple and fall on the floor on collision ;-P
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah game play wise its pretty bad.
  • despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    pretty dumb for it to be added

as lerk it's not worth going thru the crusher back to sorting hive, have to go the long way. ur just rolling the dice

and dont say u can watch for the signs. ur flying around everywhere fast, no time to waste to spot for signs
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited March 2013
    I don't like it too much.
    If you could at least turn it off by killing the power node, then it would have some strategic quality.
    But it's just meh right now. No real warning, you just have to wait to be sure. Waiting = boring.

It ranks for me on the same level as Back Alley on Docking suddenly lacking a power node... a random change from the usual game mechanics which seems pointless.

+100 irony points for this thread being by Crushak :p

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys are being ridiculous. I only fell for it once.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    You guys are being ridiculous. I only fell for it once.

It's not about falling for it. It's about making a quick escape route not so quick and one that can kill you. Now any time you approach it you have to stop, wait for it to smash then go through otherwise you are risking it. Even if it had a light on it like some one previously suggested I would prefer to do just do away with the mechanic completely.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I've literally never felt like it was a problem... unnecessary gimmick, sure, but it's never gotten in the way much less killed me. Mineshaft is such a weird map in so many other ways that this is far from the most annoying thing about it.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited March 2013
    Post redacted, no need to be obnoxious. - Angelusz
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    current1y wrote: »
    It's not about falling for it. It's about making a quick escape route not so quick and one that can kill you.

I think you're doing it wrong.

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The crusher is cool, no reason to get rid of it, but maybe it shouldn't be in a passage between rooms and rather just be a decorative hazard like Smelting's lava buckets.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I like the crusher. It's always hilarious when you witness some unsuspecting player get done in by it.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I remember one time I was entering Crusher as a marine.
    My teammate was just killed by 3 skulks and a gorge.
    I had only an LMG, a pistol and my axe. So I attempted to go for a suicide kill on the gorge.
    When I entered Crusher I immediately killed 1 skulk.
    The other 2 skulks and the gorge were caught off guard and they started walking backwards... right into the crusher.
    And all three died.

Then I laughed...
    I laughed so long that I alien reinforcements came and killed me.
    I couldn't aim or shoot properly cause I was laughing too hard.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Lol, he doesn't realise it's not random. The crusher used to activate at much shorter intervals and I could get through it fine then. You just don't run through it when you don't know if it's recently CRUSHED or not.

I see no real problem with the crusher.
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    Maybe we could tie the Crusher into a weldable control panel, when and if the weldable vents patch comes out.

I was also hoping that the security check point at the north point in NS2_Descent would set off an alarm when a marine walks through with his guns.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    it always brings a smile to my face when an unexpecting skulk gets crushed, saw ittwice during newbie weekend, but maybe because I like to harass crusher. also, I don't generally risk it unlessI'm a skulk.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    tbh the game needs more dynamic objects... things moving... makes marines and aliens get a little jumpy..
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It sucks, I'd remove it tbh.
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    Its not like the Crusher Vent is the only way into that room. I can remember there being 6 different ways including the extra vent above the door frame. So what is soooo important about getting through that vent anyway.

Even without the crushing machine part, it would still be a long tunnel that Marines can shoot straight down without any fancy jumping to reach it.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    >You will respawn when your teammates dies.
    Thank you for this opportunity to spectate, crusher!