11th Post-Launch Update Released! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Jesus, gorge isn't useless in combat for 2 patches (And only early game) and you decide to nerf him hard. (Damage AND projectile speed nerf) Sad knee-jerk balancing. Guess it's back to boring old healstation gorge that nobody will want to play.
  • ReekahReekah Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168593Members
    edited January 2013
    @Hugh: Can you do the PG lines on the map optional? I want to keep my map more clear :(
    3del! wrote: »
    Cysts now “redeploy” instead of enforcing a minimum placement distance between existing Cysts. - What does that mean?
    Cysts explode when placing too close. I think lol
    <--

Tram needs a hotfix. The RT cyst explodes right away.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    edited January 2013
    Pretty good stuff. Still no sound warning when powernodes in rooms with a command station are being attacked though. Considering how quickly marines lose if powernodes go down, they really need a proper, loud notice about this.

Xarius wrote: »
    Jesus, gorge isn't useless in combat for 2 patches (And only early game) and you decide to nerf him hard.
    Would you like an organic tank costing 10 res too in the next update?

Mate, the gorge costs only 10 resources. Five gorges, costing 50 res, were way stronger than an onos. That's incredibly imbalanced. Two gorges walling up and placing six hydras is at least as strong a force as an onos. It's either back to the gorge being less useful in combat, or the resource cost for it being increased to 20.

Nobody has any rights to complain about the most overpowered and cheap creature in the game being nerfed. Stop being a lamer.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    edited January 2013
    (Merged two posts into the post above thinking i could delete this one.)
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sataniac wrote: »
    Celerity with bile bomb does not work. Still reduces it to the non-celerity speed of the gorge.

AFAIK that is working like intended. Bilebomb puts you into "combat" state when you hit something, but you will get the celerity effect faster again. Before the patch the dot on the marines/structures did keep you in that "combat" state until the dot was no longer ticking.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    Lofung wrote: »
    shotguns arent good enough. buff it.

another patch that proves the dev doesnt play the game.

shotguns were the only weapon you really need in the game. and NOW ITS STILL THE ONLY WEAPON YOU NEED. problem?

Another post that proves you don't watch the youtube videos of the devs and maptesters playing...

Incremental changes my friend. No need to change it so drastically that it becomes OP (then you gotta fix it... again).
    StriderNS2 wrote: »
    -reduced Gorge spit damage from 40 to 30.

"Really? Why even bother fixing the Gorge spit if you're just gonna nerf the damage. Fail.

Its a good move. Since their hitreg was fixed they were pretty powerful. Now gorges aren't as lethal, given they are a support unit. But still can do some damage and blind attackers to try and get away.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Removing the celerity mess is excellent, shouldn't stop there. Low HP effects next! Gorge spit vision block after that! With the map blur somewhere in the mix.

keep the spit vision block. Its a nice feature for a defensive unit (esp with the slower spit rate and lower damage). Its similar to a squid using an ink blot to get away from attackers.

PS i figured out multi-quote now (keep clicking quote) so I won't have so many posts. :-)
    Xarius wrote: »
    Jesus, gorge isn't useless in combat for 2 patches (And only early game) and you decide to nerf him hard. (Damage AND projectile speed nerf) Sad knee-jerk balancing. Guess it's back to boring old healstation gorge that nobody will want to play.

be any other life form if you want to in the frontlines of combat...

Posts merged. Remember to use multi-quote! -Insane
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    from playable fps to unplayable, anyway patch sounds great hopefully i'll get back playing after next patch :).
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited January 2013
    Steam still hasn't updated my NS2. It's still running build 237. How can I force it to update? I guess I'll just reinstall the game and see if that helps. Any tips on how to force an update would be appreciated for next time, though.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    The observatory UI blip things has been replaced. Doesn't block the view anymore and looks really nice.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    semihandy wrote: »
    Steam still hasn't updated my NS2. It's still running build 237. How can I force it to update? I guess I'll just reinstall the game and see if that helps. Any tips on how to force an update would be appreciated for next time, though.

Generally restarting Steam will do it.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Awesome update! Keep up the good work guys!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge Tunnel sounds are in game, along with Gorge web models and new railgun sounds, and babblers will be shot out by the gorge in a big ball
  • butterbutter Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177368Members
    Agreed with most of the changes of the new build. But it the nerf on grenade launches makes them even more useless.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Not starting until each team has a comm needs to be removed. Half the matches we are all standing there for 3 minutes waiting for someone on the other team to go commander. It's just a glorified ready room.

Why not just auto-comm someone after 30 seconds if there isn't one?
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Stardog wrote: »
    Not starting until each team has a comm needs to be removed. Half the matches we are all standing there for 3 minutes waiting for someone on the other team to go commander. It's just a glorified ready room.

Why not just auto-comm someone after 30 seconds if there isn't one?

this is probably the worst solution thinkable.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    238 broke my performance. It's below any acceptable level even in early game. And by acceptable level I don't mean 60, I mean 25.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    i was expecting to read a lot of complaints about the massive fps drop that anyone is experimenting and yelling about in the server i was playing right now..

does that happen only to some of us?
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Cico wrote: »
    i was expecting to read a lot of complaints about the massive fps drop that anyone is experimenting and yelling about in the server i was playing right now..

does that happen only to some of us?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127682/build-238-totaly-blew-my-performance-up-unplayable#latest
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Some really sensible changes in the right direction, great stuff.

Now the challenge is to not go crazy with the new incoming content patch!
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    It crashed on first start and the dialog to send automated reports is still broken, but I think FPS improved slightly on low-end systems.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    How to troll: Join team as aliens, run to marine spawn, sit in comm chair.
    GG server is now deadlocked.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2013
    Thanks stro, looking into that now.

@milanium: i just tested it, and its working fine? are you waiting long enough? sometimes it takes a few minutes to gather everything?
  • zealizeali Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179986Members
    Can you please please please add a "default device" to audio options.
    I have 3 sounds cards(not kidding) and it bothers me that each time i go to play NS2 i have to manually set my sound card from the menu if it's not the same i intend to play with this time(speakers, headphones, closed headphones).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ^Yes please add a default device option, and make it the default :P I know someone that has to keep setting the device every time the game starts or his mic won't work.
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I was able to use blink after the 2nd hive was killed. I don't know how I did it, but this seems like a bug. Has somebody experienced similiar?

(and where can I post bugs? Is UWE still using getsatisfaction?)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No that's not a bug, that's been there forever and was always intended. If you keep your lifeform after you lost the hive, you retain the 2nd hive upgrade. Skulks keep leap, gorges keep bile, etc.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    edited January 2013
    Sigh. Should have just removed stupid gorge spit blinding mechanic and left the damage alone. I was wondering why my gorge was so feeble last night.

Also, at the start of the round instead of letting people run around the map with no com having fun, make it so they can't leave the room with the starting techpoint, and make an annoying sound play to hurry they process up. Hell put a 1 minute limit on it even. Was in a server last night that had 12/16, then went to 4/16 to empty because no one on the marine side would com, instead they were all standing by our hive spamming taunt and being silly with axes for like 3 minutes.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seahunts wrote: »
    Sigh. Should have just removed stupid gorge spit blinding mechanic and left the damage alone. I was wondering why my gorge was so feeble last night.

Also, at the start of the round instead of letting people run around the map with no com having fun, make it so they can't leave the room with the starting techpoint, and make an annoying sound play to hurry they process up. Hell put a 1 minute limit on it even. Was in a server last night that had 12/16, then went to 4/16 to empty because no one on the marine side would com, instead they were all standing by our hive spamming taunt and being silly with axes for like 3 minutes.

What do you think would have happened if that game had just automatically started with a team full of marines that are refusing to comm?
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    No that's not a bug, that's been there forever and was always intended. If you keep your lifeform after you lost the hive, you retain the 2nd hive upgrade. Skulks keep leap, gorges keep bile, etc.

thanks, I didn't know that and never noticed it before. definetly good to know. =)

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People are never happy... Sorry, but the game can't change, that nobody wants to go com in your team. Maybe go com yourself?