11th Post-Launch Update Released! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

image11th Post-Launch Update Released! - Natural Selection 2

Three months since the launch of Natural Selection 2, Build 238 has been released. It includes fixes, performance improvements, balance changes, and more!

Read the full story here

Comments

• MGS-3MGS-3 France Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58540Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Testing... My first ever comment on a news post on the new website... Excitement!

:)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    By the way guys, in future you should be able to see the names of who writes these posts. For now, it's stuck on 'unknownworlds.'
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good timely changelog, nice job :)
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    Great changes guys, I'll check them out later tonight.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    well 238 has screwed me..
    At about the 4 minute mark I blue screen...

If i can do anything to help UWE track this down, please let me know
    On Thu 1/31/2013 1:00:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013013-10748-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8001BF7D40, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 1/31/2013 1:00:37 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8001BF7D40, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
    Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 1/31/2013 12:52:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013013-10654-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA8001BF7F80, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System

On Sun 12/30/2012 6:25:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\123012-10202-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x122F)
    Bugcheck code: 0x10E (0x24, 0xFFFFF8A0089FE270, 0xFFFFF8A0090ACF90, 0x0)
    Error: VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
    description: Watchdog Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Removed celerity sound and screen effects.
    Yes! Thank you!
    Fixed bug causing Celerity effects to remain on when the Skulk was walking or standing still in some cases.
    Indeed. :P
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    •Removed celerity sound and screen effects.< one of my favourite changes, thanks
    •reduced grenade launcher damage radius from 8 down to 6. < also awesome
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Need some clarification on a few items:

•Shotgun uses now a symmetrical bullet spread pattern.

What was the pattern before? Is this a nerf? A buff? Neither?

•increased number of allowed hotgroup to 9.

What is a hot group? Was I able to group units as commander? Is that what this means? I swear I tried that before and it never worked. How do you do it?
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    •reduced grenade launcher damage radius from 8 down to 6.

So we want aliens to win more then? 70% is not enough?
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fades with Carapace now die in two full w3 shotgun blasts. We'll have to be extra careful now...
    Great changes though, I like it! :D
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    Grats on the release!
    I like the changes in Nanogrid, even if I feel weldable vents would have been a better option. Still, it's a welcome change. About time those Drifters got fixed too. :p
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    choke, grenades were ridiculus before. balance isn't as simple as you think it is, you need to nerf overpowered things and buff underpowered things to solve balance, doing just one of those won't destroy balance so much as to make one team not win as much as it did.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Great changes !
    Is the afk autokicker in also ?
  • inuyashatheborginuyashatheborg Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181273Members
    Awesome job guys especially like the strategy mode tweaks :)
  • BlueDevilBlueDevil Join Date: 2009-10-05 Member: 68955Members
    MrChoke wrote: »

•increased number of allowed hotgroup to 9.

What is a hot group? Was I able to group units as commander? Is that what this means? I swear I tried that before and it never worked. How do you do it?

1. Kind of a buff. Before the spread was more dynamic and random and therefore if you were unlucky, you might have missed most of the bullets when firing. At other times you might have gotten too lucky and you could one-hit Aliens at times when you "should" not. More often you missed most of the spread than hit, so mostly a buff.

2. You assign groups with ctrl+[number] and then you press that number to select the assigned group(s)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    it's a buff and a nerf at the same time, in certain fields the shotgun excelled in.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    The increased the number of hotgroups, not the amount of objects you can put in the group.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    They did change the total damage of the full spread to be higher instead of lower. Whatever the case though it's an improvement that the thing is reliable, I don't care if it's a buff or not.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1 step closer to epic railguns, MUAHAHAHAHA
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    choke, grenades were ridiculus before. balance isn't as simple as you think it is, you need to nerf overpowered things and buff underpowered things to solve balance, doing just one of those won't destroy balance so much as to make one team not win as much as it did.

We did get a shotgun "buff" I hope. Plus gorges got a nerf for sure. I never considered grenades OP but whatever.

I am going start my stat collecting over. But I bet, the balance isn't going to change with this. Its not enough.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Shotguns were pretty good before*.

Now they're going to be awesome.

*I may just have fantastic luck.
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    Best feature yet: Games don't start until everybody is actually ready :D
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    Just a quick post here, but I'm pretty certain it was there before; there are several little spots in Nanogrid that give a view on the sky/occlusion geometry behind. I have some pictures if you want.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    shotguns arent good enough. buff it.

another patch that proves the dev doesnt play the game.

shotguns were the only weapon you really need in the game. and NOW ITS STILL THE ONLY WEAPON YOU NEED. problem?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2013
    This might be the first and last time I'm going to post this in a changelog thread, but please wait until testing the shotgun before you say it's a buff just by reading the changelog.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Nice changes. I'm excited to see phasegate destinations and minimap links
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    This might be the first and last time I'm going to post this in a changelog thread, but please wait until testing the shotgun before you say it's a buff just by reading the changelog.

Well im SG damage goes up at all (which it has by about 22 damage) lerks are now able to be 1 shotted....yay try sporing mid-late game when marines have SG's.
    Fades are now in the same boat lerks used to be (2 SG's blasts to kill them)...
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited January 2013
    MrChoke wrote:

there is a thread somewhere on the forums which shows the old and new spread.

basically before it asymmetrical. 40% of the shots where in one quadrant and the spread rotated randomly.
    Hence, if your aim was slightly off you could get lucky and the spread rotated in a way that you hit with 4+ pellets or if you got unlucky you hit only with 1-2.
    10 pellets each 17 dmg = 170dmg

now 17 pellets each 11 dmg =187 dmg
    wider spread but symmetrical
    more damage, less accuracy due to wider spread, but predictable
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2013