Flayra's balance patch in workshop

Comments

• SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026963:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:58 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why aren't they nerfing onos speed? It can outrun a jetpacking marine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the Onos is a huge close range unit that requires the speed it has.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026963:date=Nov 17 2012, 11:58 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why aren't they nerfing onos speed? It can outrun a jetpacking marine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather see the jetpack returned to it's ns1 speed than see the Onos move like a tank again.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027016:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:44 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 17 2012, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because the Onos is a huge close range unit that requires the speed it has.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. Logic fail there bud.

Onos = huge. Huge --> slow.

What is the point of stomp? I thought it was so that we could stun enemies that might run away, and then attack them. I hardly ever use it because I can outrun them anyway.

So are you telling me that an elephant can outrun a cheetah? Because it's a huge unit that needs to get close to the trees, while cheetahs are going after moving prey? I'm applying a biological example here since aliens are bio weapons.
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026697:date=Nov 17 2012, 06:13 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 17 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yea, but then you're talking 10 tres for 10 eggs just to hold an area. There's also nothing stopping marines from instantly sniping a 10 tres structure after you spawn alot of eggs from it. Doesn't really matter if your team then manages to kill all the marines in the area (they respawn for free), you just made redundant anywhere up to 40 tres (20 + 10 + 10?eggs) and put your 2nd hive/leap back by about 5 minutes, or 200% normal timings. Even at 1 tres, shift egging is incredibly tres intensive and that in itself should be the balance tradeoff to spam clicking, just like with medpacks.

Shift egging also relies on lucky/perfectly timed and sized spawn waves (bad mechanic which hopefully gets tweaked in the future). I've tried shift egg play extensively, especially with points like nanogrid on veil, and it just doesn't work if your skulk turnover is slightly too high. Imo it's more of an excess res sink for when you have res domination and going to win the game eventually anyway.

That said, if UWE feels they are too powerful, they can easily increase egg to 2 tres (as opposed to 2.5tres implicit with the prototype build). At 2 tres, i think we can say goodbye to egg spamming as a semi-viable tactic against outskilled marine teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When the shift is holding an area like lava falls, nanogrid, or a future hive location, I'd trade 10 tres to ensure my team held that room. I only spawn a couple at a time when I am saving for something, I treat it as a small investment you make over time like cysting. This change will make it a more costly decision to do that shift, it was really cheap as it is.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027023:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:51 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 17 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather see the jetpack returned to it's ns1 speed than see the Onos move like a tank again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that would be a fair compromise.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026963:date=Nov 18 2012, 02:58 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 18 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why aren't they nerfing onos speed? It can outrun a jetpacking marine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since when?
    <!--quoteo(post=2027033:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:02 PM:name=Draco Houston)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco Houston @ Nov 17 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since when?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since 227+
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So.....aside from arc's server.....anyone else's servers hosting this mod?

After all, that was the purpose of this thread........
    <!--quoteo(post=2027035:date=Nov 18 2012, 04:03 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 18 2012, 04:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since 227+<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've never had any issue catching up to an onos or dodging one with JP in 228 and 229. I know it isn't as powerful anymore but <i>come on</i>.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027030:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:59 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Logic fail there bud.

What is the point of stomp? I thought it was so that we could stun enemies that might run away, and then attack them. I hardly ever use it because I can outrun them anyway.

So are you telling me that an elephant can outrun a cheetah? Because it's a huge unit that needs to get close to the trees, while cheetahs are going after moving prey? I'm applying a biological example here since aliens are bio weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know man, the earth moves pretty fast around the sun.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027030:date=Nov 18 2012, 03:59 AM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 18 2012, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Logic fail there bud.

So are you telling me that an elephant can outrun a cheetah? Because it's a huge unit that needs to get close to the trees, while cheetahs are going after moving prey? I'm applying a biological example here since aliens are bio weapons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rhinos and hippos can both move faster than a human can run, in short bursts. Sound familiar?

Also, a stomped marine isn't shooting at you, you should really use it anyway.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027043:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:08 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 17 2012, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know man, the earth moves pretty fast around the sun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your response is quite relevant. Because in NS2 we are each playing as different types of heavenly body. [/sarcasm]

Plus I said biology, not astronomy or physics.

But I'm going to have to pwn you with your own absurdity. Nothing personal, just business:

In any case the SMALLER planets move FASTER around the Sun. JUPITER is gigantic -- please check its orbit time. Also the smaller mass Earth orbits the Sun, they aren't in a race. Furthermore, there's NO FRICTION in space...

Pwnt.

:D

Wonder what would happen if they inserted a gravity well around each onos. Marines could then orbit the onos and they'd all move together in a celestial dance until either onos was killed or skulks came in form outside and ate the marines. That would solve all the onos speed issues and the gore distance being too long.

<!--quoteo(post=2027039:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:05 PM:name=Draco Houston)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco Houston @ Nov 17 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never had any issue catching up to an onos or dodging one with JP in 228 and 229. I know it isn't as powerful anymore but <i>come on</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Errm it's the other way around. An onos chasing a jet-packing marine should not be able to catch up.

<!--quoteo(post=2027051:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:16 PM:name=Draco Houston)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco Houston @ Nov 17 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rhinos and hippos can both move faster than a human can run, in short bursts. Sound familiar?

Also, a stomped marine isn't shooting at you, you should really use it anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are you racing a hippo/gorge or rhino on foot? We have TECH called cars and SUVs. Similarly, marines have jetpacks in this game.

Hehehe this is fun. My point still stands.

(good point about the stomp, often though comm doesnt research it, and we steamroll through to victory anyway).
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    Can we get some more elephant/rhino/SUV real life comparisons in this game about nanoteched humans vs. aliens? Cause what I really miss is some gritty realism here.
    A sentence like "but in real life" shouldn't ever be uttered on the forums, it's an arcade game, treat each aspect of the game as a balance issue and not in terms of if it would conform to realism
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Scarytown is running it: 74.63.253.114:19991

I don't think we'll always run with experimental balance changes but there's a lot of demand for it right now.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Call me when Flayra decides to increase Fade health.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027052:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:18 PM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In any case the SMALLER planets move FASTER around the Sun. JUPITER is gigantic -- please check its orbit time. Also the smaller mass Earth orbits the Sun, they aren't in a race. Furthermore, there's NO FRICTION in space...

Pwnt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isaac Newton would roll over in his grave if he read this.

Did you not consider that Jupiter is much MUCH farther away from the sun, thus its longer revolution time. It has nothing to do with its size. In fact Mercury, the closest planet to the sun, moves the fastest at ~107,000 mph, while Pluto, the SMALLEST yet furthest planet moves at only ~10,000 mph.

Anyway the original argument was that an Onos is huge and should move slower. False. The fact that it is bigger, plus the fact that in appearance it is very muscular, means it is covering larger strides with greater ease. Anything running on four legs generally runs faster than us bipeds.

And the nonsensical use of jetpacks indoors aside, would you want jetpackers to be able to easily outrun an Onos? That would lead to kiting by the JPer, with nothing the Onos can do; if he tries to run away, the JPer will chase him and easily keep up, and if the Onos tries to attack, the JP keeps its distance.
    Darn it you found the only weakness in my plan. Anyway Pluto isn't a planet, it's just a big asteroid.

As I said though, this isn't about heavenly bodies. We are talking about the movements of organisms/objects within the Earth/given planet. Larger objects move should move slower than smaller ones. There is something called inertia. I wouldn't mind if the onos started slow then as inertia built up if it ended up going really fast as it charged at a marine base. My problem is that they go from 0-100mph in less than a second, and being as large as they are, that shouldn't be the case. In a straight line, over time, fine. But not instantly and while making sharp turns as they chase down a jetpacking marine.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027030:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:59 PM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Logic fail there bud.

The point of stomp is to stun a big group of marines so skulks can move in.
    And the autistic battle continues. Jetpack=10pres. Onos=75pres. Guess which one should be able to at least have a chance at chasing and taking out the other one
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027340:date=Nov 18 2012, 02:21 AM:name=lolwow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolwow @ Nov 18 2012, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the autistic battle continues. Jetpack=10pres. Onos=75pres. Guess which one should be able to at least have a chance at chasing and taking out the other one<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My lerk costs 30 resources, and therefore I should be able to walk along the ground at a marine with a 20 res shotgun and he should never be able to kill me, ever. Because that is balanced.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027345:date=Nov 17 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 17 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My lerk costs 30 resources, and therefore I should be able to walk along the ground at a marine with a 20 res shotgun and he should never be able to kill me, ever. Because that is balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, that is a very comparable analogy to the whole rhino/elephant argument from the last page. Also really digging the 10 pres compared to 65 pres difference
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027317:date=Nov 17 2012, 06:54 PM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 17 2012, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Darn it you found the only weakness in my plan. Anyway Pluto isn't a planet, it's just a big asteroid.

As I said though, this isn't about heavenly bodies. We are talking about the movements of organisms/objects within the Earth/given planet. Larger objects move should move slower than smaller ones. There is something called inertia. I wouldn't mind if the onos started slow then as inertia built up if it ended up going really fast as it charged at a marine base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's literally exactly how it works.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027038:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:05 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Nov 17 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So.....aside from arc's server.....anyone else's servers hosting this mod?

After all, that was the purpose of this thread........<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rule 1 of internet forums: all threads are for complaining, rather than anything constructive.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    was pretty sure we tried buffing lerk armor/hp before

lerks had fun owning everyone for that patch until they dropped it again

we're just going around in circles with this one here lol

If I recall correctly, Hugh even posted youtube clip of him playing lerk where he basically just took on marines 1v1 spike vs rifle without even bothering to dodge. Just fly up to them and start spiking (they had no bite back then)
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027364:date=Nov 17 2012, 05:45 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Nov 17 2012, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->was pretty sure we tried buffing lerk armor/hp before

lerks had fun owning everyone for that patch until they dropped it again

we're just going around in circles with this one here lol

If I recall correctly, Hugh even posted youtube clip of him playing lerk where he basically just took on marines 1v1 spike vs rifle without even bothering to dodge. Just fly up to them and start spiking (they had no bite back then)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Apparently if the lerk if able to escape a marine that attacks it is OP, it cannot help push back marines as its HP is too low, all it can really do against skilled marines is go of on its own and hope to catch some marine while his guard is down, that can be fun for a while but ultimately you're missing out on the main combat because everything killed you easily, shot down in a fraction of a second from all the gunfire and Grenade spam.

The only thing you can do late game is sporing runs and hoping the marines have really aim, or umbra the Onos and hope the grenades don't hit you because if they do, it is instant death.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027514:date=Nov 17 2012, 11:22 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 17 2012, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It cannot help push back marines as its HP is too low, all it can really do against skilled marines is go of on its own and hope to catch some marine while his guard is down, that can be fun for a while but ultimately you're missing out on the main combat because everything killed you easily, shot down in a fraction of a second from all the gunfire and Grenade spam.

The only thing you can do late game is sporing runs and hoping the marines have really aim, or umbra the Onos and hope the grenades don't hit you because if they do, it is instant death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no problems always staying alive in fights, rarely going for a hive to heal, even against good players, late game when marines have full upgrades and I have my oh so important celerity and carapace (not counting currently OP regen lol). If you are good enough you can find ways to engage shotgunners without problems. If you ever die by grenade spam than you are doing something wrong.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2026523:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:03 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 16 2012, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Increased Lerk health from 125 to 175.
    - Increase Lerk carapace from 75 to 100.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->WHY?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    To reiterate...

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>WHY?</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • dexdex Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24419Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2027340:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:21 PM:name=lolwow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolwow @ Nov 17 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And the autistic battle continues. Jetpack=10pres. Onos=75pres. Guess which one should be able to at least have a chance at chasing and taking out the other one<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By that logic, a dual-gun Exo costs 75 Pres. 10 Skulks cost 0 Pres. Therefore dual-gun Exo should be near immune to skulks? Through a combination of terrible Exo player + skilled Skulk player, I've seen 1-2 Skulks taking down an Exo. Now try 2 Marines vs 1 Onos. They'd literally have to reload 4 times each to kill it (good thing Onos attacks prevent reload!)

And on the side note, by your logic, a 75 Pres dual-gun Exo should be an even match for a 75 Pres Onos, 1v1. Oh wait it's not. The Onos is far faster, can run away from the Exo if it gets low, and can turn a corner and regen its health back to full within seconds.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027559:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:36 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Nov 17 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->WHY?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The fade does need HP more than the Lerk, who knows, maybe because the Lerk isn't such a viable choice late game.