Flayra's balance patch in workshop

Comments

• Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026575:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:49 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 17 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please no more cooldowns and arbitrary limitations. Increase the tres cost per egg if you feel its necessary - convoluting the rules doesn't add much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To be fair, the cooldown is probably a good thing, often when marines attacked into a place with shifts I'd just hatch some eggs and they'd have to run around killing all the eggs im dropping, meanwhile someone spawns there and they have no ammo left. They can just as easily hit the shift first but hatching like 10 eggs to defend an area isn't that much and can be done in under a second. Also, my fave build right now is not to rush the 2nd hive but to use shifts to claim areas out on the map and keep my forces out there, and not at my hives. It is too easy, you cyst over and if no one starts popping them you drop a shift, it builds really fast and then you click it and mash A a bunch of times, area is claimed. With this change that sort of offensive forward shift will take time to build up into a huge threat. This makes that sort of strategy doable, but far more scoutable/counterable.

There's a thread around somewhere where a poster was playing khammander and put 3 shifts inside the enemy base on the back of a skulk rush. At least 1 of the shifts would survive and out would come eggs. That would be much harder to pull off with 2 eggs per 5 secs per shift on the map.

I wonder if this is also intended to increase the amount of mental bandwidth an alien comm is going to have to dedicate to effectively using a bunch of shifts as forward hives? Right now I just check them out every minute or so and pop out 5-10 eggs and go back to what I was doing. Not saying that's a good or bad thing (it is certainly not good news for me) but alien comm has far less to micro manage than marine comm so this sort of thing might be needed so 2 hive tres onos isn't the universal opener you use to transition into any other strategy, I certainly can't imagine getting out a 6 minute onos in addition to aggressive shift play, this might make them mutually exclusive?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    In my opinion, this would improve things, but it's only half the battle.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026661:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:41 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 16 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a problem that will be solved by making the one class that doesn't have any major issues(spore usefulness aside) better against everything than it is right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if the lerk keeps its current low HP you may as well remove the ability to grip on to walls and such completely, because if you're spotted while not moving you will be dead before you can escape.

This low HP allows for only 1 play style, attacking the marines that are busy with something else.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026675:date=Nov 17 2012, 06:10 PM:name=Draco Houston)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco Houston @ Nov 17 2012, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yea, but then you're talking 10 tres for 10 eggs just to hold an area. There's also nothing stopping marines from instantly sniping a 10 tres structure after you spawn alot of eggs from it. Doesn't really matter if your team then manages to kill all the marines in the area (they respawn for free), you just made redundant anywhere up to 40 tres (20 + 10 + 10?eggs) and put your 2nd hive/leap back by about 5 minutes, or 200% normal timings. Even at 1 tres, shift egging is incredibly tres intensive and that in itself should be the balance tradeoff to spam clicking, just like with medpacks.

Shift egging also relies on lucky/perfectly timed and sized spawn waves (bad mechanic which hopefully gets tweaked in the future). I've tried shift egg play extensively, especially with points like nanogrid on veil, and it just doesn't work if your skulk turnover is slightly too high. Imo it's more of an excess res sink for when you have res domination and going to win the game eventually anyway.

That said, if UWE feels they are too powerful, they can easily increase egg to 2 tres (as opposed to 2.5tres implicit with the prototype build). At 2 tres, i think we can say goodbye to egg spamming as a semi-viable tactic against outskilled marine teams.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2026653:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:28 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 17 2012, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is, you shouldn't be able to directly engage a shotgunner as a lerk without fear of a gib.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree with that. Why should a 20 res shotgun that can be picked up when a marine dies be able to insta-gib a close quarters units that costs 30 res? Fear of death is reasonable. Fear of insta-gib by an extremely common weapon for a non-recyclable 30 res investment is over the top.

Keep in mind that Flayra wants the lerk flying around in combat. They aren't snipers any more. How are you supposed to regularly land a poison bite if there's a risk you'll be one-shotted by a solo marine?
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    lerk should require 2 marines or 1 godly aim shotgunner, fade should require 2+ marines (shotguns or not) at the minimum. buff seems fine
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    imo lerks are already powerful even without that silly regen buff. You shouldn't be able to engage a good shotgunner as a lerk 1v1 with only bites. You already provide an amazing amount of support for your team and spikes do a ton of damage if you can actually aim them. Killing shotgun marines in the open with spikes is not really that difficult even with armour upgrades, and long range you can basically duel rifle marines and control open areas all by yourself unless you get flanked. If they really want the lerk to do more biting, they need to bring spikes back to how they were, a weapon only for finishing off marines and structures. Right now it's basically a rifle for the lerk. As for "insta-gib" if you are good you shouldn't go down to a shotgunner in one shot unless he flanks you or surprises you with a jetpack.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026708:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:32 AM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 17 2012, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->imo lerks are already powerful even without that silly regen buff. You shouldn't be able to engage a good shotgunner as a lerk 1v1 with only bites. You already provide an amazing amount of support for your team and spikes do a ton of damage if you can actually aim them. Killing shotgun marines in the open with spikes is not really that difficult even with armour upgrades, and long range you can basically duel rifle marines and control open areas all by yourself unless you get flanked. If they really want the lerk to do more biting, they need to bring spikes back to how they were, a weapon only for finish off marines. Right now it's basically a rifle for the lerk. As for "insta-gib" if you are good you shouldn't go down to a shotgunner in one shot unless he flanks you or surprises you with a jetpack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm been killed by someone with a shotgun in cave, thing is he was on the other side of the cave and he instantly killed me.

I believe this HP buff for the lerk is needed, but not as much as the fade needs more HP/ATK
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    If anyone finds an EU server running this mod post ip please :)

I like the sound of all the changes except I'd put cara lerk to maybe 90 armour, 100 sounds a bit too high; though I'd prefer a faster lerk with the current hp value there is an issue with nade spam being absolutely deadly to lerks in some areas where you can't fly high enough to avoid it. Since changes to regen behaviour other than hive healing aren't mentioned in the notes, I hope they remain unchanged, or if regen is going to get nerfed I hope the passive hp regen remains as it is in 229 as it particularly helps make early skulk/lerk play more enjoyable.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    The main problem with GL versus lerk is a GL problem, not a lerk problem (IE, it's universal). Grenade launchers just do too much damage to aliens.

Maybe if Structural was changed to also do 1 point of armor damage (as Light damage currently does) this problem might be mitigated a bit. Honestly, I'd like to see the shotgun have it's damage upped a little while at the same time becoming Light damage (to make it stay equally effective against skulks, less effective against things like Lerk/Fade). It's behavior is also really odd in terms of patterning randomly around the crosshair; the group stays tight but doesn't stay directly centered around the crosshair, meaning that good players can miss a decent chunk of the time, and sometimes at long range it just destroys things it shouldn't have. Maybe up the effectiveness of the flamethrower against armor, or add an option to give LMG's Heavy damage (purchaseable for Pres)?

Fades are the same cost as a single-gun exo. They don't feel nearly as useful in a fight unless the fade player is *really* good with it, as the marines have huge burst damage capability with the shotgun, and there's really no alien counterpart to this.

RE: 6-minute-onos-drop. Isn't the easy fix for this simply making it require 3 hives to drop an onos?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Still no fix to the 4 min onos egg drop?

Some of the changes are good, others are simply awful. I don't see why the lerk needs to be made tankier, good players can already wreck quite a bit of havoc with it, it's just that bad players are outright clueless on how to play a lerk effectively. (They just sit down or roost giving marines easy pickings) The only problem lerk has is that it falls off lategame, making it tankier overall will only serve to make it OP early and somewhat competitive late on, instead of addressing this problem properly, through some sort of scaling.

Skulk bite range, I hope this is only the 25 dmg outlier that gets reduced, and not all of them. We've been over this several times now, it simply doesn't work to significantly reduce the bite width on the skulk, it will destroy skulk play and frustrate players to no end.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that it was released as a mod (opposed to beta/full release) because it contains experimental balance changes for testing.

test it before just reading the changelog and ######, because noone is going to take note of your comments unless you've played it.
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026762:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:46 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 17 2012, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess that it was released as a mod (opposed to beta/full release) is because it's experimental balance changes for testing.

test it before just reading the changelog and ######, because noone is going to take note of your comments unless you've played it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If there only were servers with this mod running and marked as such in the name... :/
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    We've had some of these changes, like tankier lerks, in the beta, it simply doesn't work.
    UWE just likes going full circle when it comes to balancing this game.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Personally I'd like to see discussions around how to raise the lerk's skill-floor while the keeping the skill-ceiling in the same place.

For example, experienced players don't stop flying in combat. Rookie players often do. What if moving automatically put the lerk into flight, and made the lerk unable to land until all movement keys were released? Crawling around could still be done with the shift key.

This would have zero impact on skillful players, while making dodging easier for newbies.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Since there seem to be a demand, I´ll host a public server with this mod on.

It´s called "Archaea Pub Balance Mod".
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Why did the Lerk get the HP buff instead of the fade?
    <!--quoteo(post=2026811:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Nov 17 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why did the Lerk get the HP buff instead of the fade?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It might be that they're wanting to make the lerk more of a front-line unit.

They also made shadowstepping cheaper, perhaps they're expecting fades to dodge more? I think the fade is supposed to be more of a behind the scenes assassin anyway (picking off the last marine in a group and then getting away, etc).
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026575:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:49 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 17 2012, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Bad</b></u>

1-Last thing exo needs is more overall armour, it's already got too much. At the very least, there should be parity between pursuing armour levels and rushing exo - this change shifts the balance to rushing exo's. What you're going to see is stronger 2 cc vs 2 hive stale early/mid-game i.e turtle till end tech gameplay. [i]<b>Exo is grossly overpowered but this is another topic that warrants longer explanation.[/</b>i]

2-Charlie, if you want to do a heavy flyer class, add a new lifeform altogether. Please keep the lerk as fast and fragile. You're going to end up with a class in the middle that's useless at everything.

Please no more cooldowns and arbitrary limitations. Increase the tres cost per egg if you feel its necessary - convoluting the rules doesn't add much.

<u><b>Probably not good</b></u>

Don't see this being in the healthy direction for pubs unless something is done to spores regarding vision block vs damage

<u><b>Rest of the changes are very good!</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1-just... LOL.. and the bold... LOL.

2-so buffing a class makes it useless at everything? What kind of logic is that?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2026819:date=Nov 17 2012, 03:06 PM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Nov 17 2012, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It might be that they're wanting to make the lerk more of a front-line unit.

They also made shadowstepping cheaper, perhaps they're expecting fades to dodge more? I think the fade is supposed to be more of a behind the scenes assassin anyway (picking off the last marine in a group and then getting away, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A 50 res wimp. Got it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026653:date=Nov 17 2012, 06:28 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 17 2012, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is, you shouldn't be able to directly engage a shotgunner as a lerk without fear of a gib.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The thing is (also) a lerk is more expensive than a shotgun... :\
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026824:date=Nov 18 2012, 12:11 AM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Nov 18 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1-just... LOL.. and the bold... LOL.

2-so buffing a class makes it useless at everything? What kind of logic is that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1- ? i guess you're one of those exo's that shoots eggs, can't aim for crap, and stands at the end of corridors spamming your guns at the wall in order to 'suppress the enemy'. Atleast bother to understand the game before posting.

2- hp buffs are going to make lerk overpowered. When you give, you have to take. Counter balancing will occur, usually in the form of movement nerfs = middle of the road lifeform neither especially good at harassing nor 'spore bombing'.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026845:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:30 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Nov 17 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1- ? i guess you're one of those exo's that shoots eggs, can't aim for crap, and stands at the end of corridors spamming your guns at the wall in order to 'suppress the enemy'. Atleast bother to understand the game before posting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd also like to know what kind of Natural selection game are you playing. Exos can be taken down by the alien's base lifeform. An onos can't be taken down in a 1vs1 scene with a rifle marine.... only if this rifle marine wears a jetpack, but even so its is pretty difficult.... and you come say the exo is way too OP??? its exactly the opposite! WAY TOO UP.

Also, ive said before in other topic (which unfortunately i cant find now) that exos have 3 positive points and around 12 (!) negative sides..... yeah its op..... suuuuure... cool story bro.......

PS: and are your guesses always like that one? if they are, my deepest condolescences....
    The mod seems to deactivate itself, I had a game on it and after the map change the server ran unmodded again. As for the lerk changes, a good lerk is now WAY too strong early on and actually okay lategame. Just beefing up the base stats won't do anything as long as you don't implement some sort of scaling system, you'll either end up with okay lifeforms lategame but OP early on, or okay early on and ###### lategame.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026905:date=Nov 18 2012, 01:25 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Nov 18 2012, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for the lerk changes, a good lerk is now WAY too strong early on and actually okay lategame. Just beefing up the base stats won't do anything as long as you don't implement some sort of scaling system, you'll either end up with okay lifeforms lategame but OP early on, or okay early on and ###### lategame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That suggests the real issue is the effectiveness of marine weapon upgrade levels.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026776:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:06 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Nov 17 2012, 07:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why nerf skulk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, did they miss all those post complaining about skulks being too weak or something?

I'm actually staying skulk longer on purpose in patch 229. Before it was just frustrating not having great aim with them. Nerfing the bite span is not the way to make it more fun.

As a marine player, dealing with skulks seems to be close to that of NS1.

Also, as a side note, nothing in the game is more atmosphericly epic than skulks coming at you in the dark, crawling on the walls of the cave areas of mineshaft!
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Why aren't they nerfing onos speed? It can outrun a jetpacking marine...
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026773:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:02 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Nov 17 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since there seem to be a demand, I´ll host a public server with this mod on.

It´s called "Archaea Pub Balance Mod".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome, I'll be there.

I am so confused as to why people are complaining about experimental balance changes. These are just ideas being tested, because, you know, ideas need to be tested before they are implemented. These changes may or may not ever make it into an official build.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026996:date=Nov 17 2012, 01:31 PM:name=Toastie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toastie @ Nov 17 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome, I'll be there.

I am so confused as to why people are complaining about experimental balance changes. These are just ideas being tested, because, you know, ideas need to be tested before they are implemented. These changes may or may not ever make it into an official build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah and if only they'd applied that logic before releasing B229. You know, more than the 24 hours they beta'd it.