Armouries and Hit and Run

Comments

• eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    You realize you got that completely ass-backwards .... right?

It's a moot point I guess.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Please do enlighten, I really only do remember the 1 change (the energy change after they had tried removing armor healing.. they might have tweaked it once after it went in). I apologize if what I said was misinformation, did any other major changes ever make it into public builds, out of curiosity?
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Did you really think the armory energy change was only enabled in one patch? Well then I guess it was such a negligible change no one even noticed it wasn't reverted until just prior to release.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    Oh, no that's not what I was implying. I know it was in the game for a long time. I was just saying it was poorly implemented, because even on 24 player servers it took 5-6 people on an armory simultaneously to hit the limit. I imagine it didn't scale with player count, either, which is another reason it would have never worked (though that I don't know for sure).

I was saying "they never even tried" because they only implemented the one change, and never really went back to tweak it or try anything else after it was obvious the change was not working.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members
    edited November 2012
    So this is why I almost never kill anyone with a well executed spore dive hit & run. I've been exclusively playing Lerk since I got the game because that is what I want to get pro at, after playing a bit of marines it's kind of crappy to see how you can be down to 1 HP and no armour then get back in the fight after 20 diverted seconds at the armoury.

I don't even think the best solution is to nerf the armouries deploying armour, but why OH WHY ARE THERE SO MANY? Armouries are spammable? Are they infinite? How much do they cost? They have one on every freaking corner? Who designed this? Really, seeing marines stack 5 FIVE FREAKING FIVE of them next to eachother boggles the mind. As someone who recently got the game, I've had many facepalm moments looking at what the commander can actually do. There isn't anyway to suspend disbelief towards commanders being able to use armouries as road blocks.

Give marine commanders an *actual* wall thing they can build and <b>limit armouries to three per map</b>, seriously, not only does it render the default playstyle of 2 out of 5 alien evolutions completely moot, but it looks ###### retarded.

I mean, obviously it's not working as intended if marines rarely if ever have to use their welders, and their phase gates are exclusively for moving to defend.

I realise spore is better when supported by others, but really, what's the point of lerk 60% of the match when you're scouting/ ambushing doing what this type of character is supposed to do.

And I know it's been harped on, but the Onos situation is annoying. Literally the only way to break through in the end game is multiple Onos. I've had commanders shouting at me to "grab the Onos egg" repeatedly, I've said no, they've become all ######y. I'd literally sooner floss myself with barbed wire than repeat this Onos strategy one more time. I have no issues with supporting Onii as a Lerk, but when we already have 4 Onos running around and the commander is screaming at me to play ANOTHER then I just want to get violent with something. This can seriously not be the only strategy, developers!
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019804:date=Nov 11 2012, 10:56 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 11 2012, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was not reading all posts here, but i agree that armory healing armor has to go. instead the welder research requirement could be removed (so you can buy them without having the comm to spend team res) to promote welder usage more, and there are also macs. i kinda miss the gameplay from ns1, where people were welding each other constantly. And since especially fade is designed around hit and run, it makes totally sense to me to get rid of armor healing from armories. also, i liked that one build in the beta :) it didnt feel "unfair" to me and i never thought about typing kill in console. everyone had welders and people were using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<3
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    Then remove the ability for Aliens to regenerate @ Hive so fast.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019969:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:47 PM:name=Metal Handkerchief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Metal Handkerchief @ Nov 11 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I know it's been harped on, but the Onos situation is annoying. Literally the only way to break through in the end game is multiple Onos. I've had commanders shouting at me to "grab the Onos egg" repeatedly, I've said no, they've become all ######y. I'd literally sooner floss myself with barbed wire than repeat this Onos strategy one more time. I have no issues with supporting Onii as a Lerk, but when we already have 4 Onos running around and the commander is screaming at me to play ANOTHER then I just want to get violent with something. This can seriously not be the only strategy, developers!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could never be upset with a Lerk + 4 Oni as a khamm, I mean really, umbra + 4 Oni (or even 2 really) + base rush = GG.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Huh? Have they removed armory energy?

I've been building 2 armories at tech points whenever my marines are getting slaughtered to help them turtle better. I was under the assumption that if too many people try and heal from the armory at once that it runs outta energy and have to wait. Is this not the case?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2019990:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:13 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Nov 11 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Huh? Have they removed armory energy?

I've been building 2 armories at tech points whenever my marines are getting slaughtered to help them turtle better. I was under the assumption that if too many people try and heal from the armory at once that it runs outta energy and have to wait. Is this not the case?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there is no energy
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Really? I believe there is... health is infinite, and armor runs out of energy in a while.

at least that's what I remembered from a few games back... after 1.0 I believe... don't hold me on to this though ;)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019999:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:25 PM:name=LPC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LPC @ Nov 11 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? I believe there is... health is infinite, and armor runs out of energy in a while.

at least that's what I remembered from a few games back... after 1.0 I believe... don't hold me on to this though ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember the armoury needing its energy to work, but I don't remember it being removed.

It is noticeable though if you think about it. Some point I stopped seeing people hugging an armoury that wouldn't work.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2019804:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:56 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 11 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was not reading all posts here, but i agree that armory healing armor has to go. instead the welder research requirement could be removed (so you can buy them without having the comm to spend team res) to promote welder usage more, and there are also macs. i kinda miss the gameplay from ns1, where people were welding each other constantly. And since especially fade is designed around hit and run, it makes totally sense to me to get rid of armor healing from armories. also, i liked that one build in the beta :) it didnt feel "unfair" to me and i never thought about typing kill in console. everyone had welders and people were using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree, I was saying this from the very beginning. Remove armory healing for armory and let armory only heal hp.
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    There is no energy meter. its a algorithm they wont say that basically gives you diminishing returns on how much and how fast tha armoury is being hit. Think of it as tickets that are slowly regenerating. You take 50 ammo of tickets, it will slowly make up for the difference. Eventually the armory will just simply not be as effective. I know of no known facts about the actual math of the diminishing returns. I think charlie implemented this a bit ago in an earlier build (or he talked about doing) was the need to avoid this because the armory will stop giving out as much as fast. So now we build 2 armories as you say.

Whats crazy i went into a game, and they had Armourory wall to block onos's, we had like 112 team res, but it was just at the end, and we turtled them with Armorys.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020074:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:48 PM:name=Alchemda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemda @ Nov 11 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no energy meter. its a algorithm they wont say that basically gives you diminishing returns on how much and how fast tha armoury is being hit. Think of it as tickets that are slowly regenerating. You take 50 ammo of tickets, it will slowly make up for the difference. Eventually the armory will just simply not be as effective. I know of no known facts about the actual math of the diminishing returns. I think charlie implemented this a bit ago in an earlier build (or he talked about doing) was the need to avoid this because the armory will stop giving out as much as fast. So now we build 2 armories as you say.

Whats crazy i went into a game, and they had Armourory wall to block onos's, we had like 112 team res, but it was just at the end, and we turtled them with Armorys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, it's just a constant stream of armor. No algorithms or magic tickets, nor have we ever had them. We had energy for a while, but that's different.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Arbitrary hard-caps are always a bad idea and should be used only as a last resort. I understand it for things like a game where you can be a sniper, the game is broken when everyone is sniping. But if there is an issue with a building being spammed, it's better to change how it functions than to limit the number you can build.

I'm all for armories not healing armor. Welders are only 5 res, it encourages team play, and it makes the lerk and the fade stronger without direct buffs. That's an awesome list of positives, the only negative is that it could make it too hard for marines... but I really doubt it.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Honestly baffled by Charlies argument for keeping armories repairing. What of skulks? Do we often see them suiciding in order to respawn with full health? I sure haven't seen it.

And maybe if welders were necessary for armor repair from the start, people would get more used to using them, and viola, exos get better support later on since people are used to using welders!
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    Perhaps only advanced armories should repair armor?
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2019980:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:01 PM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Nov 11 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then remove the ability for Aliens to regenerate @ Hive so fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dumbest comparison ever. How much res does a hive cost? How much is an armory? Where can the hive be placed? Where can an armory be placed? The closest thing marines have to a hive is the CC, not an armory. Hive regeneration if anything needs to be buffed, the rate of healing as a percentage of alien health is less than what armories do for marines. There's no point to trying to grind marines down when they can recover faster than aliens can.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Armory healing armor is complete B.S. when the commander can also build M.A.C. units to follow players around to be their weld support. That, more than any other reason, is why I think it's garbage. Have you ever seen a swarm of M.A.C. units camping out an Armory? Yeah, because Marines should only need to wait three seconds to be fully back in action. Sure a hive and a crag can heal pretty quick, but that's a structure you can only build at one of five possible slots on a map. Or one of four different slots on a map. Armory and M.A.C. can be anywhere there's power. (Which is anywhere, of course.)

Sure, one bile bomber can nuke the whole shebang. Well, unless they can weld each other. (HINT: They can.)
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2019804:date=Nov 11 2012, 12:56 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 11 2012, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was not reading all posts here, but i agree that armory healing armor has to go. instead the welder research requirement could be removed (so you can buy them without having the comm to spend team res) to promote welder usage more, and there are also macs. i kinda miss the gameplay from ns1, where people were welding each other constantly. And since especially fade is designed around hit and run, it makes totally sense to me to get rid of armor healing from armories. also, i liked that one build in the beta :) it didnt feel "unfair" to me and i never thought about typing kill in console. everyone had welders and people were using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thank god someone sees reason.
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    edited November 2012
    What about to just lowering speed of armor reparing in armories down to 10% of current speed, leaving MAC and welder speed untouched?
    You would prefer to be welded fast enough instead of waiting AGES to repair it at some armory.

Or even better.

5% on normal armory.
    20% on advanced armory.

IF someone want to put a hive healing as a equivalent to armory... bash your head into the wall.

First of all, hive costs 40 tres and can be dropped ONLY on tech points.
    IT doesn't regen your hp and armor in less than 4 seconds.

Now when it comes to crags....unless you are a skulk, you need tons of crags to heal fast enough... TONS OF THEM.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019804:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:56 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 11 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was not reading all posts here, but i agree that armory healing armor has to go. instead the welder research requirement could be removed (so you can buy them without having the comm to spend team res) to promote welder usage more, and there are also macs. i kinda miss the gameplay from ns1, where people were welding each other constantly. And since especially fade is designed around hit and run, it makes totally sense to me to get rid of armor healing from armories. also, i liked that one build in the beta :) it didnt feel "unfair" to me and i never thought about typing kill in console. everyone had welders and people were using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <3 Sewlek to the rescue.

<!--quoteo(post=2018739:date=Nov 10 2012, 10:22 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 10 2012, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the very least I'm glad he's communicating with the players. I feel he desperately needs some perspective on Natural Selection 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think that's fair at all; Flayra tries the best he can with very limited time, and he is dedicated to making gameplay better for all tiers of play. It is up to the players to let him know when something isn't working, and ultimately he/they have to make the decisions. During the ESL event, he spent A LOT of time just talking to the players about everything related to gameplay and balance. I was massively impressed, to say the least (and not just because paid for my beer :P).

I personally don't agree with his reasoning regarding armory healing and I hope he reconsiders when he gets a chance to thoroughly look at the pros and cons.
  • petit_fromagepetit_fromage Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32752Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm in agreement with the majority in this thread; something needs to be done about the armory healing. There have been a few decent sounding ideas that are probably worth exploring. Frankly any nerf be it small or large is welcomed for the current state of healing at armories. I'd personally like to see zero armor healed at armories; make them buy a welder or get welded by a MAC.

No armor at armories has a few upsides. One of them, is making more Marines buy welders and thus prolong the time it takes them to buy shotguns, mines, etc because they need welders to repair each other. It will also be a slight buff to Aliens. Fade hit and run tactics will be more effective. It will make Marines more vulnerable because one of them will have their welder out as opposed to their weapon which is a buff to any Alien who decides to attack.

UWE was asked about this issue on yesterday's ESL stream. Flayra's argument was basically that it didn't make sense to new players if armories didn't heal their health AND armor. That's kind of a lame reason if you ask me. I don't think it's that hard for them to ask, or someone to tell them that they need to be welded in order to restore their armor.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    That also doesn't make sense to me. If a new player walks up to an armory and gets healed, but armor doesn't get healed, boom. Problem solved. For a game that spends little time preparing you for the arduous task of winning a well matched game, a design decision based around the supposed idiocy of the players is really out of place.

Please remove armor healing at armories. I don't even personally care, but there is enough clamoring for it here and elsewhere that it needs to change. Come on, guys!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    agreeing that it wouldn't be out of place at all.

there's a big red cross on top of the armory. in many computer games that signifies health. there are plenty of games (half-life for example, the mother of ns1) where going up to a health dispenser will -only give you health-.

there is nothing unintuitive about armory not healing armor.

i could see an argument being made for adv armory healing armor...but honestly i think that wouldn't make much sense and would keeping it out would help end turtles.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the replies Sewlek. You're awesome.
  • JigglesJiggles Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166855Members
    Marines shouldn't be able to repair armor so easily. It makes hit-and-run tactics useless, especially since ranged spores and acid rocket are gone.
  • wallweaselswallweasels Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73009Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019804:date=Nov 11 2012, 11:56 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 11 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i was not reading all posts here, but i agree that armory healing armor has to go. instead the welder research requirement could be removed (so you can buy them without having the comm to spend team res) to promote welder usage more, and there are also macs. i kinda miss the gameplay from ns1, where people were welding each other constantly. And since especially fade is designed around hit and run, it makes totally sense to me to get rid of armor healing from armories. also, i liked that one build in the beta :) it didnt feel "unfair" to me and i never thought about typing kill in console. everyone had welders and people were using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An easy way to promote using welders is having them give points for healing (or do so at a faster rate). While points on the scoreboard mean nothing in the long run, they are an incentive to do something. Giving score for things promotes doing an action.
    This is why building structures give points, and why killing an extractor is worth more than killing a skulk. This promotes these activities more by giving out more e-peen for doing it. There is a reason why games always give more points/xp/whatever for capturing the flag/objective than killing players.
    But, what is funny about score is that it means nothing...but has a strong influence over how players play a game. As a bad player, you can feel better by helping the team in ways that might not be killing. In battlefield games, for instance, you could heal a tank or capture points and be pretty high up on the scoreboard without killing anyone directly. This is why I quite like the server mod that adds assists. Points given purely to the person who does the last hit isn't always fair. You could be the skulk that did 99% of the damage to that RT...but the other one ran up and bit it right on time. +15 to him, 0 to you.

As to the topic of armories: they make medpacks a joke outside of early game babysitting that one guy on your team who is 6:0 so far :P
  • MerlinCrossMerlinCross Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168471Members
    Really I don't see armories healing as fast as you guys say they do. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

However, I do agree something can be done about it, as it pains me that my spores and shots as a lurk are just healed up like that.