Aliens Lack In Fun Factor ?

12345679»

Comments

• CaneCane Join Date: 2004-02-12 Member: 26444Members
    edited November 2012
    It's not just you. Aliens are pretty damn boring to play which is a shame. A lot of the aliens are way worse than in NS1 as well were it was a lot more fun to play alien. I was expecting more from alien commanding than what we have right now.

Why remove so many alien abilities and traits and not add something else?

Also the worst part about playing aliens is how long it takes for you to end games. Why are you forced to mass up 3-5 onos just to finish a starved single command post marine team? It was never this bad in NS1...
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited November 2012
    C'mon guys, give UW a little room to tweak the game. A couple of months ago the game was nowhere near what it is now, and they have been crunching to get it playable, stable and pretty for release. Even Blizzard cant balance their shiz for release, despite the eternities they spend on beta testing

I agree that aliens are not as entertaining to play ATM compared to mariners, and people always avoiding joining aliens doesn't help.
    With relatively minor tweaks though, the marines with their superior tech and automated teamwork could be made to fear aliens as they're meant to - for example longer spawn times to increase the penalty of dying and prevent infinite-reinforcement turtling. In the longer run, aliens need tweaks and reiterations of abilities/upgrades though, but that can wait till the basics are down
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    The developers never read the forum in NS1 and never communicated with the playerbase, so take that for what you will. These are the same guys who let their massively active forum completely fail for well over a year, never made an attempt to fix it, never offered an excuse, and never provided an apology for it. It basically killed what was left of the NS1 community. That is probably one of the most embarrassing ways to actually treat the people supporting you I've ever seen.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    To be fair, on the games I've worked on, it generally didn't help to pay SO much attention to the forum. It's often a buzzkill to some really struggling development when all you get back is stuff about the marines being overpowered. Plus, a lot goes on here that they just don't have time for. So usually very few threads are read by developers, and even fewer actually influence their development. (Exceptions for bugs, as opposed to balance tweaks)
    They sure have plenty of time to spam Twitter though:

"@The_dBus There's no way to get out of an Exosuit... Yet. We would like to add this, preferably with a red-button-ejection!"

That is some serious facepalm-worthy ###### right there.
    edited November 2012
    I think these NS2 forums have done well for the last couple of years.
    Obviously the team doesn't have time or the need to respond to everything. For important stuff, there will be a response - like when Hugh made it clear in a thread on the steam forums that it is being read, and reported problems are being watched, yesterday or the day before.
    If I were a dev I would definitely not spend my work hours trying to discuss or justify every detail and "this is terrible and you are terrible" post from you, Temphage - doesn't mean that your constructive ideas/suggestions aren't being read or taken into account though

edit: leaving an exosuit does seem redundant at this point. I do appreciate the consideration to every detail of the modular equipment of the marines, but at the moment there's just too little sense in intricate mechanics like this when respawning in 2 seconds, grabbing a shotgun and rushing is the most effective strategy
  • Vile | FriskyVile | Frisky Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166873Members
    I dunno I always think the fun factor with Aliens is just freaking the heck out of Marine players. There is nothing more fun than working in a team of two with a fellow skulk and just wreaking paranoia in a room. Knocking out power is absolutely hilarious when an Onos or Fade charge is happening. To me, Aliens and Marines are both serious fun, but are both different types of fun.

Marines are fun because you get to kill in the traditional fps sense and construct choke points and forward bases whereas Aliens give you the option to harass the Marines mentally and physically in game.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2010183:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:40 AM:name=mokkat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mokkat @ Nov 5 2012, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think these NS2 forums have done well for the last couple of years.
    Obviously the team doesn't have time or the need to respond to everything. For important stuff, there will be a response - like when Hugh made it clear in a thread on the steam forums that it is being read, and reported problems are being watched, yesterday or the day before.
    If I were a dev I would definitely not spend my work hours trying to discuss or justify every detail and "this is terrible and you are terrible" post from you, Temphage - doesn't mean that your constructive ideas/suggestions aren't being read or taken into account though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt they even read these forums anymore.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010183:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:10 PM:name=mokkat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mokkat @ Nov 4 2012, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I were a dev I would definitely not spend my work hours trying to discuss or justify every detail and "this is terrible and you are terrible" post from you, Temphage - doesn't mean that your constructive ideas/suggestions aren't being read or taken into account though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what a community manager is for, someone who serves as the mouthpiece and ears of the developers. I'm crusading on the 'this ###### isn't fun' front, but you'll notice it's quite obviously not me. There's no posts here going 'marines aren't fun', it's all 'aliens aren't fun'. A community manager needs to be telling us what is coming up next for the game, what they think about key issues, what they're working on for major bug fixes, and he needs to relay back to the devs what is happening in the community, and we need to know that his communication with the devs actually matters.

This game doesn't need to be like Mechwarrior Living Legends where the lead developer only cares about making "his" vision for the game, even though it's done nothing but drive people away from the game. Even despite that, the devs of MWLL are constantly in contact with the community, even if it's just to say 'We aren't doing that'. They have tons of news posts all the time to keep people informed.

The point of a community manager isn't to sit around locking threads and censoring language, but to make sure that the code monkey can do his job, and the developers can provide game focus for their players. Even in something as huge as the World of Warcraft forums, the community managers actually act on important issues and I'd seen them come back with responses straight from the developers or bring them in to address issues. The community managers make sure that people can stop pounding on the same drum by passing the words of the community on up the chain and focusing discussion into important matters.

This isn't some amateur modding bull###### either where the devs can do what they want because it's "their" game. We're paying customers and the balance of power changes. You can do what you want with a mod no matter if it kills your playercount because it doesn't do anything for you anyway besides make you an e-celebrity. Once you accept paychecks, though, you have to answer to your customers.

Oh and if a community manager's input to the developers doesn't matter, it usually becomes apparent quickly and things get ugly fast. DICE brought in some community managers for BF3 who would say that they were making lists of key issues to pass on to the devs, and literally nothing ever changed. People ended up mocking them mercilessly, making imposter accounts to troll the forums with, and at some point someone even hacked one of their accounts and started deleting things on the forum and posting 'official' spam everywhere. Now the community managers are nowhere to be seen and got chased out of the forum because the players knew they were useless and their input didn't matter at all.

Basically, don't anger the peasantry.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010063:date=Nov 4 2012, 08:46 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 4 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly don't know why more teams don't all just gorge immediately, and move out into the map to clog after building their Hydra's in the starter hive. It would make things infinitely easier on them at a stupid low cost and ultimately they would retain more resource towers to upgrade faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because it costs 19 res... and that 19 res means you are a 12 min fade instead of a 8 min fade... That means you are a fade vs lvl 3 shotguns (2 hit death) instead of lvl 1-2 shotguns 3-4 hit death.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Actually, I'm pretty sure if I were running community management, I'd probably write forum scripts to ensure people who insult the developers, and call everything bull######, as often as you do, Temphage, are gagged so no one has to read them.

I don't even read your posts anymore. I just see you're being a ######, I don't even care if you agree with my side of an argument, and I skip past. Nothing can be gained from people like you in any sense.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010222:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:32 PM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 4 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I'm pretty sure if I were running community management, I'd probably write forum scripts to ensure people who insult the developers, and call everything bull######, as often as you do, Temphage, are gagged so no one has to read them.

I don't even read your posts anymore. I just see you're being a ######, I don't even care if you agree with my side of an argument, and I skip past. Nothing can be gained from people like you in any sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/legalfiles/gates_letter_sept09/attach_1.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/le...09/attach_1.pdf</a>

I'll make sure I fill my posts with undeserved praise and ass-kissing in the future, and maybe some day I won't have to fake it.

I'll let you in on a little secret: it's ###### like the fact that I wasn't able to bring up servers for 3 days, and the server browser crashing my router, both of which had to be fixed by the community with no official word on investigating the issue or disseminating the known fixes that makes me frustrated.
    Temphage:

You are not entitled to anything. You preordered and paid for a retail game, and UWE delivered. That is how business works.

Of course, they'd be abandoning every ounce of principle if they stopped interacting with the community, which I doubt they will.
    They released, it's now a weekend, relax dude. Blizzard doesn't consider any community stuff either for days, weeks, months after a release, except for gamebreaking stuff that would hinder their moneymaking and/or image.

Discussion with community about features is not feesable during crunch before launch - in the stressful long hour days of prepping the game, there's no time for forum interaction and trying different design ideas anyway. In my opinion, the current issues are pebbles in the ocean compared to the potential massive unplayble failure an ambitious game like this could have been.

Would be nice with a response from Hugh about this, but whether or not we get one, I'm sure Charlie and co. are as worried about marine stacking and a dwindeling playercount as we are, and will be discussing their strategy to iron it out with us in the near future now they have the time
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Temphage, you are the most dour person on this entire forum. Everything you post is tinged with pointless anger.

The devs reply to stuff all the time here. They've just released their ~6 year project. If it were me I'd be on holiday for a week or two, you know?

If you don't like the game do not play it. I've been having a blast playing aliens, they're not underpowered at all. Stop using your supposed guidance as an excuse for your need to whinge about something.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2010222:date=Nov 5 2012, 02:02 AM:name=Katana314)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana314 @ Nov 5 2012, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I'm pretty sure if I were running community management, I'd probably write forum scripts to ensure people who insult the developers, and call everything bull######, as often as you do, Temphage, are gagged so no one has to read them.

I don't even read your posts anymore. I just see you're being a ######, I don't even care if you agree with my side of an argument, and I skip past. Nothing can be gained from people like you in any sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree somewhat.
    Sometimes he comes up with valid points, but it's just quickly washed away or drowned out with impudent ramblings.

If he was more constructive and less rash in his criticisms, like creating Ad-Hominem's constantly I wouldn't mind him posting so much.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    thread lost purpose... clossseeeee
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010270:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:57 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Nov 4 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they're not underpowered at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See... Temph<b>rage</b>... all your doing is making people polarize against your views by posting in the manner in which you post.
    Despite their being significant flaws with the majority of the alien tech tree your rage'y complaints are just causing people to think your over exaggerating everything (which to some extent you are) and that there is no underlying fault with the alien balance (which there is).

<!--quoteo(post=2010296:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:15 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Nov 4 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thread lost purpose... clossseeeee<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You sir... should have posted this a long time ago! xD
  • JigglesJiggles Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166855Members
    I'm glad that they tried new things with the Aliens, but most of what's new seems focused on 1 role: the Alien commander. If you're not playing commander, the alien ability set feels a bit gutted compared to NS1.

Well, mostly the gorge.
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010202:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:20 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Basically, don't anger the peasantry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your bloated sense of entitlement is comedic, you act like you have an answer to every issue. Please go get enraged at some other game developers, your tantrums aren't really getting you anywhere here. No one takes your armchair game developer essays seriously.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2010302:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:18 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->See... Temph<b>rage</b>... all your doing is making people polarize against your views by posting in the manner in which you post.
    Despite their being significant flaws with the majority of the alien tech tree your rage'y complaints are just causing people to think your over exaggerating everything (which to some extent you are) and that there is no underlying fault with the alien balance (which there is).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could say the same thing. Just after launch I was talking about the alien no fun / balance / skill issues. Nobody agreed with me, and the best people like Mu could do was say "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB". They then moved on to the Almighty 50/50 Win Rate.

People weren't smart enough to understand what I was saying (really, it's not difficult), so I get frustrated and call them idiots. People fail to grasp concepts like baseline skill required to play each side, so I have to resort to more and more obvious, dumbed-down examples to penetrate their thick skulls, which ends up degrading to hyperbole and exaggerations.

Now the fun / balance / skill thing is gaining traction and more and more people are coming on here, making new accounts, to say specifically that. Which makes being told "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB" that much more annoying, because it increasingly means I was in the right all along, and the detractors whose arguments boiled down to ######-waving simply got in the way of progress.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010412:date=Nov 5 2012, 12:32 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 5 2012, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could say the same thing. Just after launch I was talking about the alien no fun / balance / skill issues. Nobody agreed with me, and the best people like Mu could do was say "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB". They then moved on to the Almighty 50/50 Win Rate.

People weren't smart enough to understand what I was saying (really, it's not difficult), so I get frustrated and call them idiots. People fail to grasp concepts like baseline skill required to play each side, so I have to resort to more and more obvious, dumbed-down examples to penetrate their thick skulls, which ends up degrading to hyperbole and exaggerations.

Now the fun / balance / skill thing is gaining traction and more and more people are coming on here, making new accounts, to say specifically that. Which makes being told "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB" that much more annoying, because it increasingly means I was in the right all along, and the detractors whose arguments boiled down to ######-waving simply got in the way of progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't help that you complain about everything... Seriously you need to prioritize your beef.
    I honestly along with a large majority I am sure think that skulk is fine late game aside from a few issues.

Your rampant rage against the shotgun and strange crusade against weapon upgrades and obs is a little mental...
    You end up coming up with crazy new ideas that could never be implemented anytime soon instead of just giving simple
    and easily implementable solutions.

Fade sucks, marines need a HMG and focus needs to come back... that along with another huge pile of tweeks but UWE have been on the backfoot the entire development. Alpha wasn't alpha, beta wasn't beta and this sure as hell isnt a finished balanced game.... It hopefully will be soon though.

But thats just my take... do what you will with it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2010412:date=Nov 5 2012, 12:32 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 5 2012, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could say the same thing. Just after launch I was talking about the alien no fun / balance / skill issues. Nobody agreed with me, and the best people like Mu could do was say "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB". They then moved on to the Almighty 50/50 Win Rate.

Now the fun / balance / skill thing is gaining traction and more and more people are coming on here, making new accounts, to say specifically that. Which makes being told "LOL L2P SCRUB FGT NOOB" that much more annoying, because it increasingly means I was in the right all along, and the detractors whose arguments boiled down to ######-waving simply got in the way of progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didnt say you need to play better. I said I've found very little issue with the aliens. Stop tilting at windmills
    edited November 2012