Armouries and Hit and Run

Comments

• HanzoHanzo Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166734Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009432:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:54 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You got lawyered fanatic. It did happen.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited November 2012
    Another possible solution is paying PRes for armour restoration. That would limit it to when you really want it.

The reality is though that most comms will just set up "MAC points" with an idle MAC or two to weld everyone up. In fact, it probably will lead to some really fun Comm/Player interactions to keep welded up whilst protecting the MACs during pushes.

So really, removing the armoury's ability to restore armour would just shift Comm strategy and people's expectations a bit. Marine pushes would take a bit more infrastructure to really get going and need a little more babysitting to keep sustainable.

Overall, I think it could actually be really fun. What do you guys think?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2009463:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:26 PM:name=beyond.wudge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beyond.wudge @ Nov 4 2012, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another possible solution is paying PRes for armour restoration. That would limit it to when you really want it.

The reality is though that most comms will just set up "MAC points" with an idle MAC or two to weld everyone up. In fact, it probably will lead to some really fun Comm/Player interactions to keep welded up whilst protecting the MACs during pushes.

So really, removing the armoury's ability to restore armour would just shift Comm strategy and people's expectations a bit. Marine pushes would take a bit more infrastructure to really get going and need a little more babysitting to keep sustainable.

Overall, I think it could actually be really fun. What do you guys think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    MACs' ability to weld player armor was added as a compensation, at the time Armory stopped repairing armor. Now it feels a bit too powerful, since they can repair Exos as well.

I think a simple solution would be to reduce armor repair rate from the Armory (by 50%).
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009432:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:54 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I was around at the time playing for and against the top NA comp teams, I recall seeing like one cheater ever in competitive NS. Hardly remember seeing any even in pubs.
  • ingeniousclowningeniousclown Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164828Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009046:date=Nov 3 2012, 08:58 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 3 2012, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Armory. 10 res. Available from start of game. Can be placed anywhere on map. Heals and restores armor to Marines. Resupplies ammunition to Marines. Marines can buy Shotguns, Welders, and Mines at the Armory.

Gorge. 10 res. Not a structure.

Hive. 40 res. Must be placed at Tech Points. Heals and restores armor to nearby Aliens. Crag Hive is not considered a viable first Hive at the moment.

Regeneration. Requires a Hive (40 res), Crag Hive upgrade (15 res), Shell (15 res), and Regeneration upgrade (15 res). Regeneration does not work while in combat. You can't have Regeneration and Carapace at the same time.

Carapace. Requires a Hive (40 res), Crag Hive upgrade (15 res), Shell (15 res), and Carapace upgrade (15 res). You can't have Regeneration and Carapace at the same time.

Crag. 10 res. Requires a Hive (40 res) and Crag Hive upgrade (15 res). Requires 3-5 Crags (30-50 res) in an area to be considered effective by most players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You forgot something.

Welder. 5 res. Heals armor and buildings. A marine with a Welder is still 100% combat viable.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009521:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:27 PM:name=ingeniousclown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ingeniousclown @ Nov 4 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You forgot something.

Welder. 5 res. Heals armor and buildings. A marine with a Welder is still 10% combat viable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correction:

Welder: 5 res, heals armour whilst comm heals hp with medpacks.
    Marine with a welder (unlike the gorge) can still whip out his shotgun and murderize a fade/skulk/lerk.

<!--quoteo(post=2009432:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:54 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice to see you mentioned your "source"... <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_(video_game)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_(video_game)</a>, the wikipedia entry doesn't have any sources for this data.

Also if you understand how to use grammar you will realise that the "mostly attributed to a rise in player cheating" is actually a parenthetical element connected to the "lack of participating teams" and doesn't mean that the players in the tournament where cheating but is explaining the lack of people competing was DUE to competitive teams being found cheating. (not necessarily in/during tournaments.)

Seriously... Quoting Un-Sourced wikipedia entries that don't even support your argument and thinking this supports your arguments?

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><b>*EDITED.*</b> Removed unnecessary inflammatory verbage. Insulting/inciting other forum members will NOT be tolerated. -Talesin<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Cant remember what I even wrote at the end, apologies if it was that bad. - Jester.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009017:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:19 AM:name=Madrawn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madrawn @ Nov 4 2012, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every game which has reasonable coverage and exposure through competitive play is a game which is still fun when played on a sub-professional level. Or else you'll run out of players who want to get better on the long run.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm having more fun in NS2 than i ever had in TF2. it's been ingeniuosly designed and balanced like a competitive shooter, while still retaining the amazing tension and atmosphere of a game such as dead space at the same time - i can't think of any other game which has successfully merged both sides of that coin.

personally, i'm astonished that there's only 6000 players.... it deserves at least 20k. all of my TF2 clan buddies and friends will never hear the end of it until they make the purchase.

it certainly does not deserve stupid whine about marines being imba in the first week of release... 99% of it probably comes from butthurt skulk's who got outplayed, and observations of their butthurt teammates who also got outplayed.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2009432:date=Nov 4 2012, 12:54 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As has been previously stated, your source is faulty. I've no idea who added this to the wikipedia page, but it is incorrect. I can count the number of competitive NS players caught cheating on one hand, and it certainly had no effect on the amount of participating teams.

Could you please stop ###### up the thread now? The forums even?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, anyway.
    Armories not healing armor is awesome.
  • BlaxxunBlaxxun Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72632Members
    Yes I have to agree that Armories are ridiculous overpowered at the moment. Just drop one down in a corner whenever you are pressuring a hive or double-res and your marines are almost invincible.

Let's keep this thread on the top so we can get UWE to justify the changes they made - specifically the armor repair which is talked about.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2010465:date=Nov 5 2012, 01:15 AM:name=Blaxxun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blaxxun @ Nov 5 2012, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2010465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's keep this thread on the top so we can get UWE to justify the changes they made - specifically the armor repair which is talked about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123400&st=0&start=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t=0&start=0</a>

<!--quoteo(post=2009965:date=Nov 4 2012, 07:07 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 4 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->despite that, i agree with the armory healing armor ... "war of attrition" tactics wont work for aliens due to armor healing, and i would like to see more welder usage in the game. i really miss that from ns1, where welding each other was not only a phenomenon in competitive games, but was also very common in public games (granted, welding exos is standard, but guess what, thats because they cant repair at the armory)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2009493:date=Nov 5 2012, 12:00 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Nov 5 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MACs' ability to weld player armor was added as a compensation, at the time Armory stopped repairing armor. Now it feels a bit too powerful, since they can repair Exos as well.

I think a simple solution would be to reduce armor repair rate from the Armory (by 50%).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh really? That makes sense.

A slower repair rate _could_ work but it would have to be fairly slow to achieve the effect.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009432:date=Nov 4 2012, 06:54 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 06:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There were 2 semi-famous competitive players that were caught cheating outside of competitive play. It was widely disputed weather they were actually cheating or not in actual competitive play, many people fell on side or the other from all over the competitive community, clan match demos would be passed around with tiny slightly suspicious things used as evidence of their guilt. One of these players was friends with one of the CAL admins, and as I recall action refused to be taken against the players caught cheating until other teams had quit the league, at which point the CAL admins in question very briefly banned the offending players, and soon after decided that rather than messing about with enforcing the bans they would just scuttle the league. At the time there were really only 5 or so teams that were still playing in the league, so their decision was somewhat justified as they had alienated roughly half their player base by their initial inaction, and they had crippled one of their better teams by with the late responsive bans.

It was sad, but NS had run in CAL for 10 seasons already, and had a player community that succeeded in the competitive scene to a greater degree than all other halflife mods with the exception of the big 3 valve bought. Our run was already successful and prideful at that point.

To act like cheating was prevalent and uncontrolled in NS, or that competitive NS wasn't a legitimate thing, in both cases is stupid.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    I would prefer to see the armor healing removed rather than halved. I don't want a return to armory humping that we had in NS1. Slowing the progress of healing will only make players stand around base and be useless longer.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2011861:date=Nov 6 2012, 12:25 AM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Nov 6 2012, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer to see the armor healing removed rather than halved. I don't want a return to armory humping that we had in NS1. Slowing the progress of healing will only make players stand around base and be useless longer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Crags could use a buff or something then, because that's sort of an annoying problem on the Alien side. Crags heal so slow you might as well just go to the hive because otherwise you'll be there all damn day long.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Armories not healing armor was great, but also stupid as hell because you still needed to RESEARCH and BUY welders... unlike NS1 where the comm can drop them for very cheap TRES without the need to research. Guess that one flew over someones head....

The problem right now with the game is that fades are pretty much a skulk that lives longer. There is nothing special about a fade once shotguns are out and marines move in groups... mostly due to armories and low fade armor.
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009253:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:19 AM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Nov 4 2012, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Armories originally restored armor in alpha because we didn't have welders at the time. When that was fixed, marines had to work together like... actual soldiers or something.

I cannot remember why it was added back in later. I think Charlie was high. But yeah, it's one of the biggest flaws in the game currently.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First it was removed because it was to powerful for exo's. This was prior to exo's being introduced during the beta. The problem I think was encountered was that you could drop 75 res on a dual exo and be in base defending and have no way to heal yourself. This is how I equate this in aliens perspective imagine being an onos that can only be healed VIA gorge. So if you are just defending without support the enemies poke would dwindle you dead. They obviously had to tweak the repair rate and amount for time periods but I feel it is in a good spot. Also the biggest probelm with that same patch was they implemented the power node could only be repaired by welding it which actually is what swayed the uptick of alien victories in that patch.

Try just crop dusting marines by flying around the armory as they try to heal, it will kill them. You guys make it sound like marines just hump the armory and it heals more then your sustain damage.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    Why not just make Advanced armories heal armor as well as health and normal ones only health?
    It can work. 30 res for armour healing.

Just seems a bit of a compromise that patches the issue, not fix it.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    I've already recommended making advanced armories only being able to heal armor. It actually makes a gigantic amount of sense, and a lot of people agreed with the idea.

We had an 8 page thread about how armories were broken in concept and how welders need to be more important for marines. It basically ended with making armories not heal armor (neither advanced, like was recommended), and people QQ'd till the end of time.

I think advanced armories healing armor is a good compromise.
  • SurrealbeliefsSurrealbeliefs Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167434Members
    I think advanced armories healing armor is the best compromise on this issue. As a Fade, I can usually pick off one or two before blinking away even fit hey have shotguns. Sure, sometimes I'm a bit late but I don't have the issues most people are speaking about.

The only time I see a lot of armory hugging is when they're at their last base. Then I usually see some skilled lerks fog them out consistently and it keeps them scrambling about to avoid it.
    Passive armour regen wouldn't bother me, especially if it was an item that cost res to get on each Marine.

This would resolve some of the armoury hugging, the inability to wear down marines pushing the team (regen is too slow to work in a push) and fit with the universe's fluff of nano-armour which is incredibly advanced.
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008936:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:23 PM:name=Tharidor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tharidor @ Nov 3 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What happens if you combine a attack on a marine base with a gorge, a couple of skulks, maybe 1 lerk and two fades??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

shotguns marines getting kills is what happen, fades can't 1vs1 a fully upgraded marine with a shotgun so don't even think about wearing them down when they're on their armory.

spend these res on onos and you destroy that base though.

<!--quoteo(post=2008956:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:37 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 3 2012, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fine...

crag & gorge & hive & carapace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

crag cost 10 res and heal 10 points every 2 sec

armory cost 10 res and heal 25 points every 0.8sec

But to be honest i'm fine with the armory as it is, i just want my alien attack upgrade back, i want slower swipes that deal more damage so the hit'n'run tactic can actually be viable even with an armory
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    edited November 2012
    It all comes down to the armory super fast healing capability.

It should be slightly slower to regen health and it should NOT regen armor.
    Maybe advanced armory should be able to do so but still it should be slow.

I'd like to see a sort of "nanite injection" once full health is reached that slowly restore the armor ( until it fully repairs it or hit again by ennemy ).
    Forward armories are way too powerful and most of the "flaws" of the game are coming from that insane restoring power that the armory has.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    So Charlie said in the stream today that people would rather type kill in console and respawn with armor.
    Who does this apply to? There must be some secret organisation of armor loving fanatics that populate servers on the darkside of the browser filters.
    <!--quoteo(post=2018734:date=Nov 10 2012, 09:20 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 10 2012, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So Charlie said in the stream today that people would rather type kill in console and respawn with armor.
    Who does this apply to? There must be some secret organisation of armor loving fanatics that populate servers on the darkside of the browser filters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Apparently the same people who 'kill' when they get parasited, which is why it received not one but three distinct nerfs.
    edited November 2012
    Game director ++
    At the very least I'm glad he's communicating with the players. I feel he desperately needs some perspective on Natural Selection 2.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    edited November 2012
    You guys forgot 1 thing.

It's called an <i>Armor</i>y for a reason.
    They would have to change the name.

I personally like the idea of weldering marine. It fills a nice combat medic like the Gorge
    <!--quoteo(post=2018793:date=Nov 10 2012, 10:14 PM:name=WonderWaffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WonderWaffles @ Nov 10 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys forgot 1 thing.

It's called an <i>Armor</i>y for a reason.
    They would have to change the name.

I personally like the idea of weldering marine. It fills a nice combat medic like the Gorge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't mean it should be free, and as fast as it is.
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    There should be a way for marines to get armor healing without the need for another player to do it. Aliens have hives and crags which constantly heal. Armories have to have energy which makes healing slower if there are multiple people trying to use it.

Advanced armories or tech point armories healing armor seems like a good change though.