Armouries and Hit and Run

Comments

• PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008956:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:37 AM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 4 2012, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fine...

crag & gorge & hive & carapace.

i'm not against a change to armory, i just think it's far too early to start making radical changes... especially as most people agree that balance is about right and all available data appears to support that claim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not a radical change, also gorge = player = same as welder.
    And crags + hive heal so slowly you can go for a piss break and still come back only half healed... xD
  • MadrawnMadrawn Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166535Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What happens if you combine a attack on a marine base with a gorge, a couple of skulks, maybe 1 lerk and two fades??
    They work very well together and with the right cordination, they can easly overwhelm the marine team defending.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1+4+1+2=8

Are we talking competitive play or pubs? That combination will almost never happen in a pub as it's (almost) the whole team together.

That's also 140 res combined.
  • TharidorTharidor Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165130Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008973:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:54 AM:name=Madrawn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madrawn @ Nov 4 2012, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1+4+1+2=8

Are we talking competitive play or pubs? That combination will almost never happen in a pub as it's (almost) the whole team together.

That's also 140 res combined.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both. If you want to balance this game on solo rambo pug games, then you're probably high on drugs.
    The players have to LEARN to combine their efforts and stop their solo rambo ######.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008980:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:57 AM:name=Tharidor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tharidor @ Nov 4 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both. If you want to balance this game on solo rambo pug games, then you're probably high on drugs.
    The players have to LEARN to combine their efforts and stop their solo rambo ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah we should go back to NS1 where we treat competition like it's the most important thing ever, and treat the competitive teams like gods and encourage them to talk down to the community, and then watch as the entire competitive scene collapses up its own ass.

Worked out real good.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008969:date=Nov 4 2012, 01:51 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Nov 4 2012, 01:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not a radical change, also gorge = player = same as welder.
    And crags + hive heal so slowly you can go for a piss break and still come back only half healed... xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hive heals lightning quick, same speed as regeneration trait i think... not so sure about crag, as there is res heal boost on it available to commander which i guess is the alien 'medpack'.

also, gorge is much better than welder in that you heal hp + armor, aoe heal and self heal. it's only comparable when you're talking about exo support.
    <!--quoteo(post=2008990:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:05 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah we should go back to NS1 where we treat competition like it's the most important thing ever, and treat the competitive teams like gods and encourage them to talk down to the community, and then watch as the entire competitive scene collapses up its own ass.

Worked out real good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right, lets do the opposite, lets feed the rambo people with a billion buffs to their own liking and nerf the enemies.
    Sounds to me that you dont have faith in people learning to play together, which probably means that you're one of the rambo people.

*Shrugs*
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008980:date=Nov 3 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Tharidor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tharidor @ Nov 3 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both. If you want to balance this game on solo rambo pug games, then you're probably high on drugs.
    The players have to LEARN to combine their efforts and stop their solo rambo ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye, of course should the side with the better teamplay win.

But a public game with people who are not really into trying to organize a 8 people ambush/assault on both sides should be still fair and fun for aliens and marines. It should feel & be balanced and fun no matter if your a braindead scrub or a highly skilled veteran.

So every argument "you just need to work as a TEAM!" is fine and dandy balance-vise, but it won't be always possible to do this and the lack of teamplay shouldn't make one side feel worse than the other in the same situation.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008990:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:05 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah we should go back to NS1 where we treat competition like it's the most important thing ever, and treat the competitive teams like gods and encourage them to talk down to the community, and then watch as the entire competitive scene collapses up its own ass.

Worked out real good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

competition = coverage and exposure.

the lasting community will be players who play for the challenge and desire to improve to a competitive skill level. not the players who got bored of left4dead2 and want to kill aliens instead of zombies for a couple of hours.
    <!--quoteo(post=2009004:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:12 AM:name=Madrawn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madrawn @ Nov 4 2012, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ye, of course should the side with the better teamplay win.

But a public game with people who are not really into trying to organize a 8 people ambush/assault on both sides should be still fair and fun for aliens and marines. It should feel & be balanced and fun no matter if your a braindead scrub or a highly skilled veteran.

So every argument "you just need to work as a TEAM!" is fine and dandy balance-vise, but it won't be always possible to do this and the lack of teamplay shouldn't make one side feel worse than the other in the same situation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kind of agree with you. The the only thing I cant see is the fact that neither team works if no one tries to work together. If you watch a lone marine try to take out a hive with a couple of defending aliens, it wont work. The same is for the opposite
    <!--quoteo(post=2009007:date=Nov 3 2012, 07:13 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 3 2012, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->competition = coverage and exposure.

the lasting community will be players who play for the challenge and desire to improve to a competitive skill level. not the players who got bored of left4dead2 and want to kill aliens instead of zombies for a couple of hours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Every game which has reasonable coverage and exposure through competitive play is a game which is still fun when played on a sub-professional level. Or else you'll run out of players who want to get better on the long run.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2008990:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:05 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah we should go back to NS1 where we treat competition like it's the most important thing ever, and treat the competitive teams like gods and encourage them to talk down to the community, and then watch as the entire competitive scene collapses up its own ass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This NS1 you talk about... never happened. As for "the entire competitive scene collaps(ing)"; I'll let you know that the last European competition was played in 2010 -- eight years after the game was released. Enough said.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008828:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:32 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 4 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There were some very vocal players who couldn't stand the thought of actually having to interact with other players to get welded once in a while, or having to fight without the overwhelming advantage of armor upgrades all the time.

Inexplicably, UWE listened to those players, instead of all the other players who disagreed, and ignored the overwhelming evidence that no-armor-healing worked perfectly fine in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. I'd love to see this revisited for more than a week long patch.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2008956:date=Nov 3 2012, 08:37 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 3 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fine...

crag & gorge & hive & carapace.

i'm not against a change to armory, i just think it's far too early to start making radical changes... especially as most people agree that balance is about right and all available data appears to support that claim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Armory. 10 res. Available from start of game. Can be placed anywhere on map. Heals and restores armor to Marines. Resupplies ammunition to Marines. Marines can buy Shotguns, Welders, and Mines at the Armory.

Gorge. 10 res. Not a structure.

Hive. 40 res. Must be placed at Tech Points. Heals and restores armor to nearby Aliens. Crag Hive is not considered a viable first Hive at the moment.

Regeneration. Requires a Hive (40 res), Crag Hive upgrade (15 res), Shell (15 res), and Regeneration upgrade (15 res). Regeneration does not work while in combat. You can't have Regeneration and Carapace at the same time.

Carapace. Requires a Hive (40 res), Crag Hive upgrade (15 res), Shell (15 res), and Carapace upgrade (15 res). You can't have Regeneration and Carapace at the same time.

Crag. 10 res. Requires a Hive (40 res) and Crag Hive upgrade (15 res). Requires 3-5 Crags (30-50 res) in an area to be considered effective by most players.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2008828:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:32 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 4 2012, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There were some very vocal players who couldn't stand the thought of actually having to interact with other players to get welded once in a while,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're making it sound like it was because the players disliked interaction, not because they were chasing marines along corridors spamming weld me weld me in chat or trying to weld a marine not staying still for a second.

<!--quoteo(post=2008828:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:32 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 4 2012, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008828"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or having to fight without the overwhelming advantage of armor upgrades all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not overwhelming advantage.

The whole welding business is just goddamn awkward. If get such kicks out of teamwork go practice formations or timings or whatever, don't inconvenience everyone for a minor "teamwork" mechanic.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    as someone who ordered the game at the start at beta, this needs to be brought back. Along with hive teleport.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I liked the perma parasite in ns1.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I think most of us want to see armor repair and parasite removal taken away from armories. Why not mod it in? I'm still waiting to hear about a NS2B mod that fixes all these issues we've identified.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008555:date=Nov 3 2012, 04:55 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Nov 3 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think most people just cried when they saw it in the change log, but then people adapted to it and started to buy welders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah, pretty sure they still cried... because they had to buy welders.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008849:date=Nov 4 2012, 10:41 AM:name=MinstrelJCF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MinstrelJCF @ Nov 4 2012, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's not like you can safely spore them from a vent in this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wish they changed lerks back to ranged spores. Lerks are so worhtless with out it.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Armories originally restored armor in alpha because we didn't have welders at the time. When that was fixed, marines had to work together like... actual soldiers or something.

I cannot remember why it was added back in later. I think Charlie was high. But yeah, it's one of the biggest flaws in the game currently.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2009244:date=Nov 4 2012, 05:11 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Nov 4 2012, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish they changed lerks back to ranged spores. Lerks are so worhtless with out it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have clearly never played against Scatter.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Reduce armor and health regeneration rate and limit armor regen to advanced armories only. It's too much sustaining power for no cost beyond the initial investment. I haven't taken a closer look, but I think the armory heals faster than the hive, which is just ridiculous because it means Aliens can't even grind Marines down anymore. Used to be that a lerk could deny use of the armory by keeping it spored, but now that's not really an option either. Time management was a huge part of NS - do I reload, weld, shoot, or build? The new armory totally eliminates having to decide between welding and reloading because now you can do both by sitting next to the armory.

Parasite should remain for some amount of time then fade away instead of being removable.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Waves his mouse around erratically like a boss.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009270:date=Nov 4 2012, 04:40 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 4 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have clearly never played against Scatter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have, never played against him when hes a lerk though, he probably died in 1 hit in the game we were in so i never got to play against him as a lerk.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2009298:date=Nov 4 2012, 03:21 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Nov 4 2012, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have, never played against him when hes a lerk though, he probably died in 1 hit in the game we were in so i never got to play against him as a lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see what you did there.
    <!--quoteo(post=2009028:date=Nov 4 2012, 02:36 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 4 2012, 02:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This NS1 you talk about... never happened. As for "the entire competitive scene collaps(ing)"; I'll let you know that the last European competition was played in 2010 -- eight years after the game was released. Enough said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 tried for years to break into <b>real</b> leagues, not the little pretend NS ones, and the horrible attitudes amongst the teams, lack of interest, and I'm fairly certain teams getting busted for cheating got it all flushed away.

So they had to make things like the ENSL, which is just a tryhard league that only people who care about NS care about, which is meaningless exposure.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2009333:date=Nov 4 2012, 11:10 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 4 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2009333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 tried for years to break into <b>real</b> leagues, not the little pretend NS ones, and the horrible attitudes amongst the teams, lack of interest, and I'm fairly certain teams getting busted for cheating got it all flushed away.

So they had to make things like the ENSL, which is just a tryhard league that only people who care about NS care about, which is meaningless exposure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh hey look, it's Temphage writing a load of bull###### again, what a surprise.

NS1 had 10 seasons in CAL, which is more than most AAA titles had, and several ClanBase and ESL tournaments -- in the end, that's pretty damn decent for a tiny Half-Life mod. As for the supposed "horrible attitudes (...), lack of interest (...), and certain teams getting busted for cheating"; thanks for posting a bunch of lies again chump. None of that ever happened.

As for the ENSL, The European community decided that a central NS-dedicated tournament that was made by the community for the community was the best way to go, instead of organizing tournaments through other systems which all came with their own problems. ETF2L is an example of the same thing happening in a much larger game (TF2). It had nothing to do with some supposed inability to organize tournaments through other systems.

I'm not even sure why I bother to reply to you though, I doubt (hope?) anybody is stupid enough to believe the crap you write.
    "Previously North American clans competed in the Natural Selection division of the Cyberathlete Amateur League before it was shut down due to several factors, those being a lack of participating teams, mostly attributed to a rise in player's cheating, and poor leadership of League Officials. "
  • Lego BankaiLego Bankai Join Date: 2010-03-13 Member: 70947Members
    edited November 2012
    How about only armouries with a tech point can heal armour? At least this way marines can still run or phase back to heal, but it stops the outpost armouries healing armour.
    edited November 2012
    Or just make it so only armories can be built at a tech point.

With the commander medkit and ammo drops, I don't see the point of needing a forward armory anyway besides just abusing the mechanic. It's not as if players are going to spawn anywhere else and would need to kit up elsewhere.