Build 224 Is (Almost) Out

Comments

• noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993935:date=Oct 19 2012, 04:08 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Oct 19 2012, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with this 100%, we will see how it works, and a worst case scenario would simply be reducing its damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, worst case scenario is that it doesn't fix the problem, which is that skulk play is alienating (heh) newbies. There is literally no time for another full patch after 224. 221 skulks were far from the end of the world and I highly recommend that they are returned to until features like glancing blows can be actually tested. Give it the month of November. We'll see though.
  • sushia11sushia11 Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162112Members
    I actually liking the glancing bite. At first I may have been a little wary of it but it might really be a good idea.

It keeps aliens in the game while still rewarding precision.

It greatly benefits skulk rushes, as the likelihood of SOME kind of damage being done is a lot higher, instead of a bunch of guys nipping at the marines praying to land a bite.

I think this change might be okay but only if the full-damage bite cone is kept the way the vanilla bite is now (small). Glancing bite should only be kept to increase alien effectiveness as close range on the heels of an enemy. If it becomes a problem, maybe make glance bite cone smaller or reduce the damage to 15. It might not be a bad idea either to balance out this change with a SLIGHT reduction in range to bite, just because this increases combat effectiveness at close range so much.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    one thing that is interesting about glancing bite, is that it makes it so you can kill an A0 marine with 2 bites, and one glancing bite, but to kill an A1 marine, you need 3 good bites.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I admit I was weary too at first.. They snuck it in one of the builds this week as something like "adjusted melee width and height" and I was immediately worried about the ease in which I could bite marines.. Until I noticed that I wasn't killing them as quickly. Non frustrating game play that wasn't OP??
    It felt "right", with a low skill entrance requirement that pays off as you get good at it... exactly what every inch of this game should aim for.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    am i the only one that thinks a 25 dmg glancing blow is too low ?

The 221 bite cone was hardly game breaking, wouldnt it make more sense for the glancing blow (that im assuming uses the 221 bite cone), to do 50dmg and the new accurate bite cone for 223, do 25 bonus damage ?

with 50 dmg glancing blow ...
    a good skulk could still kill a lvl 0 marine with 2 good bites and a parasite
    a bad skulk would take 3 glancing bites and a parasite or 1 good bite and a 2 glancing bites

however with a glancing blow of 25 ... a bad skulk (assuming all glancing blows) would take 7 bites ???? and if that bad skulk got in 1 good bite ... thats still 5 bites ...

This problem will become more obvious as marines get armor upgrades :/
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    psst.. pirate.. there's more than 2 cones/values. :-D
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993954:date=Oct 19 2012, 05:04 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 19 2012, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->psst.. pirate.. there's more than 2 cones/values. :-D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well based on what you said im assuming something like this (maybe more detailed if there are even more cones)

3 cones register a hit doing 75 dmg
    2 cones register a hit doing 50 dmg (slight miss)
    1 cone registers a hit doing 25 damage (glancing)

i think i prefer this way, however its still a nerf to skulks as they are no more effective than they were in 221. If combined with better movement mechanics (walljump and ceiling drop are ok... but theres still something missing :/ ), then i think the skulk may be in a very good place :>
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Linear/curved damage falloff? The first place in this game where some value isn't flat?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope that doesn't mean they made the 75 dmg cone smaller
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993933:date=Oct 19 2012, 07:03 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Oct 19 2012, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a big fan of glancing bite, i've been wanting it for a while. As an alien it is very frustrating to bite at a marine, see the jaws clamp down on the leg, but because the crosshair wasn't spot on I get no hit. If it's frustrating for someone who plays consistently, it will be extremely frustrating for a new player. Glancing bite lines up with the 'easy to learn, difficult to master' mentality, as it gives small reward for a poorly aimed bite, but great reward for a greatly aimed bite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See thats what reason tells you, however I bet what the devs are gonna do is make the current hitbox glancing and make the proper hitbox even smaller.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1993973:date=Oct 20 2012, 01:24 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 20 2012, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope that doesn't mean they made the 75 dmg cone smaller<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, we did not make it smaller. The 75 damage cone is equal to the current 223 damage cone.

-Cory
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993742:date=Oct 19 2012, 10:18 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Oct 19 2012, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maintenance and ball court rts have been collapsed into one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That happened in build 221.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993954:date=Oct 20 2012, 10:04 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 20 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->psst.. pirate.. there's more than 2 cones/values. :-D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are we able to know how many hitboxes? (if you guys cant say then can they please put in release notes for patch?)

Would also be interested to know if they simply added additional boxes to cover wider area or if they also reduced what is the "sweet spot" from its current 223 levels?

This sounds like something that will help new players a lot (heck even being able to do 10% damage where previously they would do 0 is a huge benefit).

Sounds like a big shift in thinking as I thought they had ruled it out in the past as it meant 3 bites +para was not always a kill (seemed a silly reason IMO).

<!--quoteo(post=1993987:date=Oct 20 2012, 12:58 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 20 2012, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, we did not make it smaller. The 75 damage cone is equal to the current 223 damage cone.

-Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you tahts great to hear, really keen to see this as it sounds like it should help address a lot of the issues that resulted in rage quitting.
    I think people will happily accept a couple more bites if they dont perfectly land 1.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993669:date=Oct 19 2012, 12:32 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 19 2012, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why do skulks need a "glancing" bite. just another tool for laggers imo. free 25 dmg hit for hitbox drag/latency.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because being a lagging player is so much fun for the lagger too. They just love having to go around the same corner multiple times. Having bites/shots not land, dying after they're already out a marine's LOS. It's just as frustrating for them. ;p

As a "lagger" I'd much rather have a stable low ping than in my current <a href="http://youtu.be/PqRJXJR4rPY" target="_blank">derp ping jitter</a>. And hopefully soon I should since I just told my current ISP to shove it.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ok, pretty excited to try patch 224 now! :)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1993848:date=Oct 19 2012, 11:46 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Oct 19 2012, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we don't get it until next week, then it's going to be the last patch before release, and that's disconcerting with the number and type of changes being made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We are planning another patch before release as well.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994110:date=Oct 20 2012, 04:56 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Oct 20 2012, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are planning another patch before release as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't understand how you guys expect to pull that off :P
    it's like trying to get Hugh <i>not</i> to smile.
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This new glancing bite business sounds amazing, and a great solution. Can't wait to try it!
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    this glancing bite thing sounds great, I am very interested to try it and it sounds like it will work very well with the current build. I know i kinda stopped playing in build 223 because of how bad aliens had it. I am not really a marine or alien fanboi I just kinda like to play the side that is losing for the challenge. Aliens in 223 didn't have a challenge it was like marines shooting fish in a barrel, entirely unfun.

I like that this glancing bite system essentially rewards accuracy in degrees the same way a dart board does, with the bulls eye being the best. Perhaps in the future we will see the bite cone split up even more into sections of accuracy like a dart board does. =) It punishes complete miss's in the same way any system would, which is also great.
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    Patch today? I know ya'll are working weekends this close to release. :)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Probably Monday, or Sunday evening at best considering the tournament -_- ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Hope it's out before the weekend is completely over. Marine wins are so close to passing 70% in this patch so far on ns2stats.org.

That seems pretty bad (though I've not experienced it being that biased on the euro servers id play on)
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    I remeber seeing the logitec tourney server was filtered out with the MOD's filter, so maybe already running new version? or some sort of fix mod?
    <!--quoteo(post=1994239:date=Oct 20 2012, 03:42 PM:name=Reeke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reeke @ Oct 20 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hope it's out before the weekend is completely over. Marine wins are so close to passing 70% in this patch so far on ns2stats.org.

That seems pretty bad (though I've not experienced it being that biased on the euro servers id play on)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, this week's been pretty dire on most the US servers I've played on. Not only because of the airbounce, but also because of the stacking which occurs because of that airbounce.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994240:date=Oct 20 2012, 04:44 PM:name=Scubbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scubbo @ Oct 20 2012, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remeber seeing the logitec tourney server was filtered out with the MOD's filter, so maybe already running new version? or some sort of fix mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the servers are using an updated spectator mod
  • ToumalToumal Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71591Members
    What I don't understand is, can't they just keep playing on 223 for the tournament while the official steam version gets updated? Have we (or UWE for that matter) become so dependent upon the shackles of Steam that they cannot run their own software in a controlled fashion with an older or "stable" version?

If it's the matchmaking you need, I can whip that up for ya in a couple of days. Did it for other games that didn't have their own masterservers too.
    edited October 2012
    I'm sure that wasn't the reason 224 wasn't released this week, I'm guessing it simply wasn't ready. They've released patches the day before a tournament in the past. I'm hoping we'll see 224 on tuesday (that way they have another week for the last patch before release), really looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I'm guessing 224 just has more things going into it than first anticipated, doubt it was because of the tourney.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We are still working on 224. We're hoping to release it on Monday, but we still have quite a bit of work to do before we can do that.
  • inveigleinveigle Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25117Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thank you Max, looking forward to it.