Build 224 Is (Almost) Out

Comments

• VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993784:date=Oct 19 2012, 12:12 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Oct 19 2012, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally, skulk will take some skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/sarcasm
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1993731:date=Oct 19 2012, 10:55 AM:name=Walsa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Walsa @ Oct 19 2012, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->minute 3:01 gorge taunt is back!!!! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

all taunts are back together with a proper ui (for people who dont use keybinds) to trigger them
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Does this mean i can use my voice menu to tell my buddies that i'm covering them without telling the whole team again?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993600:date=Oct 19 2012, 01:01 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 19 2012, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for glancing bite confirmation listen to 11:15<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D I better get a spot in the credits or I will be terribly upset! <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121833&st=100&p=1992493&#entry1992493" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1992493</a>

I saw both a 25 damage and 50 damage version.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Build 224 has some big changes going in under the hood. So it probably will not arrive today. As usual, there are no definites. It could go out today, but the probability is low.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE THIS DURING THE TOURNAMENT!
    Do it monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    Yeah wait till monday so the .001% of the ns2 population playing in the tournament don't suffer (even though it'll be more interesting to watch WITH a patch), and the people with jobs can't play it during the weekend. Sick idea. ;)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Just patch before the tournament. Survival of the fittest and all that.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sigh, all the new things that happen in games [updates, new releases] NEVER occur in time for the weekend.

Looks like another boring weekend ahead of us.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    please release 224 asap! I cant seem to enjoy NS2 since 223.

Hopefully over the weekend.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    If the balance situation is as dire as people make it out to be that seems like good reason to get it out before the tournament. And it certainly is important to pubs to have it for the weekend.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    If we don't get it until next week, then it's going to be the last patch before release, and that's disconcerting with the number and type of changes being made.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No patch before this tournament, or patch during the tournament. Great.
  • RawrawrawrawrRawrawrawrawr Join Date: 2010-12-19 Member: 75781Members
    I was hoping for a patch before tournament. I think it would make things way more interesting than playing with the problems of 222/223 again. Oh well.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The Logitech Tournament is being streamed live now while we wait....days?...for 224

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2</a>
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1993789:date=Oct 19 2012, 11:20 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 19 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all taunts are back together with a proper ui (for people who dont use keybinds) to trigger them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh man, this is the best news I've heard in weeks ;)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A whole weekend of 223g! The joys of beta.

Let's see if we can get the alien winrate below 25% on ns2stats!
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1993824:date=Oct 19 2012, 06:15 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Oct 19 2012, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah wait till monday so the .001% of the ns2 population playing in the tournament don't suffer (even though it'll be more interesting to watch WITH a patch), and the people with jobs can't play it during the weekend. Sick idea. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHA best comment :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1993871:date=Oct 19 2012, 02:45 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 19 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A whole weekend of 223g! The joys of beta.

Let's see if we can get the alien winrate below 25% on ns2stats!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

stats would be a whole lot better if aliens didnt complain from the jump. seriously the last few days alien players complain the time the round starts till the end. and what do these same players do? they REJOIN ALIEN?! its like a sick joke , these same players dont leave the hive , lemming down long hallways into multiple marines, but then complain about how OP marines are.. 224 isnt going to fix these issues as this is solely pebkac. i will 100% promise ppl will complain next patch, and the patch after that and etc etc etc. i mean isnt it sad enough the devs have to add in hand holding tactics like glancing bite to reward alien players that cannot aim properly and spam the bite controls? whats next a console auto feature? ive won plenty alien rounds in this build. the difference? my teamates didnt sit back and let marines take the entire map and ge tthis, actually hit the marines back instead of sitting in vents and complaining through voice chat. devs need to seriously remove k/d from the scoreboard. that will go a long way towards fixing this "problem".
    I dont see why aliens have to die more than marines. People don't have fun dying. Make the game fun, not boring. TF2 doesn't have deaths either, if you die constantly in that game you aren't going to stick around just because you can't see your deaths.

People sit around in vents complaining because 90% of the time they can't even get CLOSE TO marines before they get instantly killed. And even if they land a bite or two, getting the 3rd bite is very hard. You can watch that tournament going on right now to see the "PROS" (lol) getting the same treatment.
    <!--quoteo(post=1993902:date=Oct 19 2012, 03:40 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Oct 19 2012, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont see why aliens have to die more than marines. People don't have fun dying. Make the game fun, not boring. TF2 doesn't have deaths either, if you die constantly in that game you aren't going to stick around just because you can't see your deaths.

People sit around in vents complaining because 90% of the time they can't even get CLOSE TO marines before they get instantly killed. And even if they land a bite or two, getting the 3rd bite is very hard. You can watch that tournament going on right now to see the "PROS" (lol) getting the same treatment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

moot point, most casual players arent going to stick around in ANY game where they die a lot regardless if the game cradles them or not. no other game is trying to lower the difficulty of the game to cater to the players that just arent that good. i suggest these people go pick up prince of persia. they will never die.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    Honestly 223 is really bad (balance wise) and I pray that 224 gets out before the weekend, it really seems like 224 fixed <u>all</u> of the problems 223 had.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993907:date=Oct 19 2012, 05:11 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 19 2012, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->moot point, most casual players arent going to stick around in ANY game where they die a lot regardless if the game cradles them or not. no other game is trying to lower the difficulty of the game to cater to the players that just arent that good. i suggest these people go pick up prince of persia. they will never die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its a good thing you aren't running the development of this game heh.

Right in the damn design mantra for unknown worlds entertainment is the phrase 'Easy to learn, difficult to master.' Right now with alien gameplay it's difficult to learn, need to be an amazing min/maxing pro to master. This is only hive one mind you.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993907:date=Oct 19 2012, 03:11 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 19 2012, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no other game is trying to lower the difficulty of the game to cater to the players that just arent that good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->*snip*
    There's no need to be that aggressive
    - Mouse<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Adding the "glancing bite" thing just lets new players effect the game instead of chain dying. Skulks are so much harder than marines that I don't see why it's a bad thing to put into the game.

Anyways ill agree the main problem for skulks is performance(server and client), collision, big models, and the horrible knock back bug.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993892:date=Oct 19 2012, 04:11 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 19 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stats would be a whole lot better if aliens didnt complain from the jump. seriously the last few days alien players complain the time the round starts till the end. and what do these same players do? they REJOIN ALIEN?! its like a sick joke , these same players dont leave the hive , lemming down long hallways into multiple marines, but then complain about how OP marines are.. 224 isnt going to fix these issues as this is solely pebkac. i will 100% promise ppl will complain next patch, and the patch after that and etc etc etc. i mean isnt it sad enough the devs have to add in hand holding tactics like glancing bite to reward alien players that cannot aim properly and spam the bite controls? whats next a console auto feature? ive won plenty alien rounds in this build. the difference? my teamates didnt sit back and let marines take the entire map and ge tthis, actually hit the marines back instead of sitting in vents and complaining through voice chat. devs need to seriously remove k/d from the scoreboard. that will go a long way towards fixing this "problem".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so your telling me that because im complaining about alien balance means i suck? i got this game well before build 100, and i never complained about aliens being so ###### until build 222, you say you won plently of rounds.. good for you, i lost ALOT of rounds with aliens and won way more rounds with marines, i thought it was just me until i took a look at ns2 stats which confirmed to me that aliens need major buff, you winning alot of games as aliens does not mean its balanced.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    The DIRE problem with 223 isn't the missing "glancing bite." I'm actually not sure if that's a good idea because it might make aliens OP.

It's the $!@$$%)%(# ping pong that occurs when you make contact with marines.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    glancing bite will help aliens, but whats really gunna help aliens more is marines being unable to walk over/on skulks and not get farther (sometimes super jump) for every bite that lands
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm a big fan of glancing bite, i've been wanting it for a while. As an alien it is very frustrating to bite at a marine, see the jaws clamp down on the leg, but because the crosshair wasn't spot on I get no hit. If it's frustrating for someone who plays consistently, it will be extremely frustrating for a new player. Glancing bite lines up with the 'easy to learn, difficult to master' mentality, as it gives small reward for a poorly aimed bite, but great reward for a greatly aimed bite.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1993933:date=Oct 19 2012, 11:03 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Oct 19 2012, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a big fan of glancing bite, i've been wanting it for a while. As an alien it is very frustrating to bite at a marine, see the jaws clamp down on the leg, but because the crosshair wasn't spot on I get no hit. If it's frustrating for someone who plays consistently, it will be extremely frustrating for a new player. Glancing bite lines up with the 'easy to learn, difficult to master' mentality, as it gives small reward for a poorly aimed bite, but great reward for a greatly aimed bite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this 100%, we will see how it works, and a worst case scenario would simply be reducing its damage.