How many NS1 players are satisfied with NS2?

Comments

• DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    Not satisfied. Movement is my main concern, especially for marines.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959736:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:31 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 10 2012, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But we can already see playercounts for servers...

Come to think of it though, Flayra probably wanted to avoid splitting the community apart again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Clan matches are already played at a level much higher then pubs so the community is naturally split. Do you not remember in the NS1 days how hard people would get raped when a clan stacked a server?? The skill gap was so large pub players had no chance..

This would actually make the game much more forgiving to new players if you have larger servers orientated for pub level play then small servers for pro players, players will then join servers which reflect the experience they want...

My memory maybe be rusty but most competative fps game had tournement modes back in the day...
  • SebenzaSebenza Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154649Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959761:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:35 PM:name=DethGaunt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DethGaunt @ Aug 9 2012, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not satisfied. Movement is my main concern, especially for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point there. I miss those slick, fast, bunnyhopping 1vs1 fights with skulks. I don't want sprint, but rather a quick regular walk with more air control. Marine movement felt way better in NS1.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea the marine movement all together needs to be reworked. I find myself slamming my keys down and hope my marine will react faster to my key strokes. And the jump they have....lol
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959764:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:47 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 9 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clan matches are already played at a level much higher then pubs so the community is naturally split. Do you not remember in the NS1 days how hard people would get raped when a clan stacked a server?? The skill gap was so large pub players had no chance..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Skill gaps are gradual though, the split between the two game modes in NS1 caused outright hostility between fans of one mode over the other. The forums were not a great place to be shortly after CO came out, and the tendency for people to throw out a "combat is dumb" or "classic is boring" when a relevant topic comes up still hasn't really gone away.

So I can definitely understand the desire to keep the base game unified.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1959653:date=Aug 9 2012, 03:33 AM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 9 2012, 03:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay how about simple solution #2...

NS1 was either 6x6 clan matches or 12x12 servers the vast majority from memory.. Couldn't you just have a server mode small/large which would have 2 settings for resources appropriate for a small or large game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I could see this working if UWE implemented a L4D1/2 or SC1/2 lobby system. It would solve a lot of other issues, such as choosing a comm before the match begins, ensuring enough players before starting, and facilitating an eventual match-making system. However, this would likely require scrapping the ready room (or at least heavily modifying it).
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959824:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:53 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 9 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skill gaps are gradual though, the split between the two game modes in NS1 caused outright hostility between fans of one mode over the other. The forums were not a great place to be shortly after CO came out, and the tendency for people to throw out a "combat is dumb" or "classic is boring" when a relevant topic comes up still hasn't really gone away.

So I can definitely understand the desire to keep the base game unified.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"combat is dumb" or "classic is boring"

both of these people are right, in their own way. but current play is forced into single game mode which just displeases both parties. It may hold more interest to newer generation or even some older vets but the quality of the game went down big time. Charlie mixed the two modes, and meshed it together, forcing it work no matter what the outcome is. You also notice how some ideas tend to sneak up from the past into the new builds, it just goes to show their new ideas just don't work. And trying all these wacky ideas before the release is beyond silly. But they refused to adapt them early on, so why refuse to adapt working ideas - which were proven for years to work?

I welcome combat, even though I do not enjoy it as much. But I simply hate seeing combat ideas mixed with classic mode.

just an example regrading lerks:

We told charlie this long time ago, but he wants the lerk to be close-combat fighter. He doesn't want the lerk to be support class, but he doesn't want the lerk to be long range combat fighter either. He wants the lerk to be the finisher, and support class but not really close combat fighter. he wants the lerk to be useful more, so giving him bile bomb made more sense but he didn't want the lerk to be a support class. So the lerk should be not close not range not support but finisher close mid range not support class.

If the above made sense to you, welcome to NS2 charlie head.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could see this working if UWE implemented a L4D1/2 or SC1/2 lobby system. It would solve a lot of other issues, such as choosing a comm before the match begins, ensuring enough players before starting, and facilitating an eventual match-making system. However, this would likely require scrapping the ready room (or at least heavily modifying it).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the idea, how about this: make a seperate 'gateway' in the readyroom for marine or alien commanders, if 2-3 people walk in there, have the players decide by vote who should command.

if just 1 walks in, then the game just starts normally obviously.

this would indeed require reworking the readyroom, but it's not that hard, and can be done really simple if you make the 'commander gateway' just small enough to incorporate in the current readyrooms.

to keep the 'immersion' of entering the command chair or the hive, you can (after game start) simply force the just spawned (and chosen) commander to enter the CC/hive by a 'move-to+enter' script. (and allow no else to enter but the chosen comm)

pretty simple to implement if you ask me?
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very satisfied.

NS2 will never be perfect simply because nothing is and it will never please everyone. I am happy with the direction the game is taking and prefer the slower more tactical approach but I don't agree with everything in it but, trust UW to release a great game that a lot more players can get into and enjoy for a long time.

NS2 was always meant to be a sequel and NOT a remake. Nothing stopping those who think NS1 is the better game carrying on playing NS1 if that is what they want. UW took the core idea of NS1 and are improving and expanding on it imo.

One of the things I do worry about is how moddable the game will be. Its something the devs are proud of but I can see a time shortly after release were every server is running a different version of the game even if only slightly. Faster this, slower that, less armour for whatever Alien that particular server admin thinks it should have, stronger turrets/no turrets etc etc. This sort of thing is already happening on a few servers.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1959826:date=Aug 9 2012, 08:02 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 9 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could see this working if UWE implemented a L4D1/2 or SC1/2 lobby system. It would solve a lot of other issues, such as choosing a comm before the match begins, ensuring enough players before starting, and facilitating an eventual match-making system. However, this would likely require scrapping the ready room (or at least heavily modifying it).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Back in the days I was thinking about Lua'ing up a kind of a 'organized pub' plugin. However, I think it's better left for someone who is actually ready to get involved with the game and the community more than I am right now.
  • therake6therake6 Join Date: 2011-12-04 Member: 136544Members
    I think ns2 is a proper sequel so far, while not being a remake of the first it has surpassed it in many ways and has become a more solid game than ns1 was.

Things like pres and new alien abilities have made it an over all better experience in my opinion.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    satisfied

ns2 takes the basics of ns1 and refines the idea of the game. one of the reasons i tended to play marines more in ns1 was cause they had a direct commander, it felt like a different kind of game. the alien side in ns1 was more subtle with the rts element, almost like it could be just a class-based shooter. i like how the aliens have a comm now that can give that same game feeling like the marine side had in ns1, without losing it's uniqueness.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Yeah gorge needs to either start with the ability for more stuff, or have upgrades for more stuff, 3 hydra and 10 clogs is a bit of a joke im sorry to say.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1959842:date=Aug 9 2012, 12:33 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 9 2012, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Back in the days I was thinking about Lua'ing up a kind of a 'organized pub' plugin. However, I think it's better left for someone who is actually ready to get involved with the game and the community more than I am right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Porting the ENSL gather interface into the game would be a good first step imo.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    I want to, but the movement just kills the game for me. and all of the arbitrary changes and flip flopping just makes you dont want to play it. and i dont even care about bhop, its just how character movement is just totally wrong and not fluid at all. just hoping someone with some sense mods it so itll be fun. that said the game is eons ahead of where it was way back when. so many stupid and silly ideas finally were taken out.
  • ThursdayThursday Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155202Members
    The only thing I am not sold on so far is the turret system. I enjoyed having to have a turret factor next to the turrets, and I liked seige cannons better than ARCs. It made for some really tense moments in gameplay. Also aliens need some sort of teleport system.

Otherwise, pretty happy.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited August 2012
    Mods. About the only thing going for it right now. There are a few I'm thinking of that could be a lot of fun and may develop them if this game doesn't completely crash and burn at sales.

Right now, 216 patch seems to be that retarded family member everyone takes pity on and tells them they're a special snowflake as to not hurt their feelings.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I wouldn't be satisfied if this were the final version.

But because it's not... I'd say it's coming along nicely.

As to be expected there's a few gripes with how things are, like the feel of the movement, and some gameplay decisions (e.g. gorge's free buildings) but nothing for me that is an absolute deal breaker. All in all, it's already a very fun game to play and has plenty of room for improvement via new features, optimisation, balance changes etc.

It's very impressive what such a small dev team has accomplished so far. I understand a lot of people aren't happy with the way things are going, and people should definitely voice their opinions on what they don't like about the game - discussion will help development and give the unknownworlds team a better idea of what the community wants. I thought I'd just chime in and say I'm having fun, and although am not 100% behind every decision the devs have made, I'm happy with the way things are going.

Just hurry up and get things optimized so I can no longer blame my inability to kill lerks on fps, rather than my terrible aim.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960222:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:14 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 10 2012, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mods. About the only thing going for it right now. There are a few I'm thinking of that could be a lot of fun and make develop them if this game doesn't completely crash and burn at sales.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would concur. A little while ago I still had hope that, with massive performance-improvements, I could see myself playing this game casually. But as the last dozen or so patches have, on the whole, made the game that much more unattractive to me, I feel the only thing that remains is the modding-potential (which I have some long-running complaints about, but nm that). Though even for me to take enjoyment out of modding would still require that massive performance-improvement to happen, as well as a good-sized player-base to justify the time spent. NS2 is really really lucky that so few games today come with the moddability we used to take for granted in the 90s and early 2000, as it has really been the one thing that kept me loyal to NS2 in terms of following its progress.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    None of them will ever happen... which is a shame... it'll be the death of NS2 after only a short fanfair after release

- Remove alien commander and give it back to the gorge
    - Fix the low FPS in general
    - Fix the horrible hitreg
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960222:date=Aug 9 2012, 08:14 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 9 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mods. About the only thing going for it right now. There are a few I'm thinking of that could be a lot of fun and may develop them if this game doesn't completely crash and burn at sales.

Right now, 216 patch seems to be that retarded family member everyone takes pity on and tells them they're a special snowflake as to not hurt their feelings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It'll sell for sure. Reviewers don't know jack about NS1 or balance issues if any by 1.0. So this game will sell plenty plenty plenty!!

Will it last long? I hope so!! I love this game! I do agree with changes you guys are wishing for and it would be nice to see more game dynamics!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960235:date=Aug 10 2012, 05:26 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 10 2012, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would concur. A little while ago I still had hope that, with massive performance-improvements, I could see myself playing this game casually. But as the last dozen or so patches have, on the whole, made the game that much more unattractive to me, I feel the only thing that remains is the modding-potential (which I have some long-running complaints about, but nm that). Though even for me to take enjoyment out of modding would still require that massive performance-improvement to happen, as well as a good-sized player-base to justify the time spent. NS2 is really really lucky that so few games today come with the moddability we used to take for granted in the 90s and early 2000, as it has really been the one thing that kept me loyal to NS2 in terms of following its progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are going to be loads of smaller NS2 mods for sure. But for an engine that was built with modding in mind, Spark is surprisingly basic. Think of all the things the now ancient HL engine supported, that as yet haven't made it into Spark (afaik): transparency, decals, glass, water/fluids, support for complex stuff like elevators... I don't expect to see a lot of advanced mods in the near future. At least not of the variance that the HL mod-scene offered.
  • ArfaceArface Join Date: 2004-04-13 Member: 27906Members
    I must admit i'm still disappointed with aliens having a commander. Khaara players should think and act as a hivemind. Needing a commander is for weaker lifeforms.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    I played a lot of ns and I'm very disappointed with ns2.
    The worst for me is the movement and the performance.

They said a long time ago that they didn't want bhop, and that they will put in the game something to replace it.
    Then we got mini-leap, sprint? Massive facepalm.

It really seems to me like the developers never really understood or cared about the great movement capabilities of ns (thanks to the goldsrc engine) that made it so great and enjoyable for many players.

:(
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960288:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:48 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Aug 9 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are going to be loads of smaller NS2 mods for sure. But for an engine that was built with modding in mind, Spark is surprisingly basic. Think of all the things the now ancient HL engine supported, that as yet haven't made it into Spark (afaik): transparency, decals, glass, water/fluids, support for complex stuff like elevators... I don't expect to see a lot of advanced mods in the near future. At least not of the variance that the HL mod-scene offered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously.. I know this is really low on the list of priorities for UWE at the moment, but map entities are really a must to bring the map alive.

I remember all the different game modes that were invented just out of map entities alone!

As I look at NS2's progress from 205 to 216 as a NS1 veteran, I think I might wait a lot longer than I originally expected when this was gifted to me.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    I miss the performance! And thats it. I would have a load of fun with it because I can accept most of the discussed points.
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959502:date=Aug 8 2012, 05:58 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 8 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think the poll has good enough choices...

Kinda reads like this to me:
    1. Ns2 is the best game that ever was and will be created by mankind.
    2. Ns2 is meh.
    3. Ns2 is bad.
    4. Ns2 is very bad.

What might be the result of this poll?

(Its like making a post about how awesome all lucasart adventures were back in the days, and how all adventures nowadays are more or less crap compared to that - the young kids that played it today will blindly agree(im so retro baby), the ones that didnt play dont care, the ones that played one at some point and might not even have enjoyed it much will agree (my generation was the best) the ones that loved and played it back in the day will agree too - high possibility that every comment that would state that todays adventures are also very good would get stomped into ground - no matter if ppl that stomp those comments know what they are talking about or not - its very easy to just say everything was better back in the days, and its very easy to get some ppl to agree to that - no questions or discussions needed)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why so aggresive?
    The Pollresults show pretty much how some people think.
    It's stupid to insult people who just say what they are thinking WITHOUT insulting other community members like you did.

It is the peoples right to say what they feel about the game and paid for!
    I feel very bad to say that all (REALY) because ns1 was make me so happy, that is one reason why i purchased ns2 special edition BLIND!
    But people have the right to say what they don't like.

<!--quoteo(post=1959502:date=Aug 8 2012, 05:58 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Aug 8 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also whats the point of getting this result, we already know that not everybody is 100% happy with ns2 - isnt it more beneficial for us to talk about balance and try to convince devs or at least make them understand our points, instead of circlejerking?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "We" already know? What "we"? Are you in schizophrenic mood? Are you one of the developer of UWE?
    It is not the balance at all, it's about the abilitys, the maps and everything people miss from the ns1!
    ns2 feel like ns1 and that is what the people here don't like.
    I can understand the developer, they want make it new, better and original but that is what ns1 is already about!

They also said, you can mod. the game, there tons of fans of ns1, why there is no ns1 mod already? there is a combat modification but not a ns1 mod.
    Because people still hope they will make it like ns1.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960442:date=Aug 10 2012, 08:15 AM:name=frmehe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frmehe @ Aug 10 2012, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why so aggresive?
    The Pollresults show pretty much how some people think.
    It's stupid to insult people who just say what they are thinking WITHOUT insulting other community members like you did.

It is the peoples right to say what they feel about the game and paid for!
    I feel very bad to say that all (REALY) because ns1 was make me so happy, that is one reason why i purchased ns2 special edition BLIND!
    But people have the right to say what they don't like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No Koruyo was correct in his description on how the poll looks. It's very biased and it's not how "all" people think.

You gave one option that was positive towards NS2 and the rest were all negatives in some aspect.
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    If there isn't one already there will be at least 10 people with reasonable skill modding NS2 back to NS1 with updated graphics :)
    Looking forward to that actually.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    I can see that the overall movement and control not even counting advanced movement looks far better in NS1. I loved Hl1 physics and source physics are great too, but marines in NS2 feel so sluggish, less mobile then you are even in CSS. Dodgy sprint mechanic, really slow backwards movement speed, slowed down jump, weird air control, it all adds up. When you look at a video of a good marine in NS1 you can see how NS2 has something wrong about its movement physics <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0</a> .