How many NS1 players are satisfied with NS2?

191011121315»

Comments

• werkwerk Join Date: 2004-08-28 Member: 30971Members
    just like when hl2 came out - I much prefer playing the original. it's about movement and skillz. the only ns change i didn't like was when the lerk acceleration speed was capped. but still fun. not sure about ns2.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960876:date=Aug 10 2012, 07:14 PM:name=werk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (werk @ Aug 10 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just like when hl2 came out - I much prefer playing the original. it's about movement and skillz. the only ns change i didn't like was when the lerk acceleration speed was capped. but still fun. not sure about ns2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HL1 lacking story but the gameplay and horror elements had me at the edge of my chair. I freaking loved that game and still do. Can't wait for Black Mesa :D
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    Half-Life 1 lacking in story? compared to what? NS1 against NS2?

When HL1 came out it was up against Quake 2 which was like trying to give a fighting game a story line, everyone plays it, but not for the plot.

HL1 had a rich story and great execution for it's time.. and like HL1, NS1 had a great innovative premise that spawned a few copycats. NS2.. I think is trying too hard. Accessibility and Depth of Skill are unfortunately on opposite sides of the gaming spectrum.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1960288:date=Aug 10 2012, 06:48 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Aug 10 2012, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are going to be loads of smaller NS2 mods for sure. But for an engine that was built with modding in mind, Spark is surprisingly basic. Think of all the things the now ancient HL engine supported, that as yet haven't made it into Spark (afaik): transparency, decals, glass, water/fluids, support for complex stuff like elevators... I don't expect to see a lot of advanced mods in the near future. At least not of the variance that the HL mod-scene offered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.

<!--quoteo(post=1960636:date=Aug 10 2012, 09:21 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Aug 10 2012, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can see that the overall movement and control not even counting advanced movement looks far better in NS1. I loved Hl1 physics and source physics are great too, but marines in NS2 feel so sluggish, less mobile then you are even in CSS. Dodgy sprint mechanic, really slow backwards movement speed, slowed down jump, weird air control, it all adds up. When you look at a video of a good marine in NS1 you can see how NS2 has something wrong about its movement physics <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0</a> .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, exactly.

NS2 movement feels like driving around in an electric wheelchair.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited August 2012
    movement still feels sluggish. And it doesn't look like it improved while seeing release date closer and closer, pretty sad actually.

alien movement must improve, it needs to be on the same tone ns1 was, at current state it feels slow, predictable and limited.
    constantly restricting movement only gimps the class, and aliens all together.

the current "wall-jump" they're working on adopting to skulks feels like cheap gimmick compared to what we had, and its rather limited/depended on objects while the old movement depended on having a floor...
  • Lumberjack_WannabeLumberjack_Wannabe Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14404Members, Constellation
    I will probably play the game when it's "officially" released, but as some have stated before the movement seems to be sluggish (especially as a Marine).
  • shakewellshakewell Join Date: 2006-11-01 Member: 58183Members
    bump.. played a few rounds today after not playing for ~6 months... movement still feels really, really poor.

bring back : <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0</a>

Bring back what made NS1 amazing - a solid, reliable skill-based air control system with the 'feel' that made is just right. I don't like being in an electric wheelchair.

Although sadly this is only the start of the problems with NS2 - including but not limited to an introduction of way too many different elements which add little to nothing, such as power nodes (complicates everything when NS was difficult to learn for a new player anyway). NS1 was comparatively simple.

NS:Source would've been nice, 5 years ago.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968004:date=Aug 29 2012, 03:32 PM:name=shakewell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shakewell @ Aug 29 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bump.. played a few rounds today after not playing for ~6 months... movement still feels really, really poor.

bring back : <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNai9Qg1Jb0</a>

Bring back what made NS1 amazing - a solid, reliable skill-based air control system with the 'feel' that made is just right. I don't like being in an electric wheelchair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Havn't you heard :p. Apparantly its OP, doesn't fit with "skulk must win in melee range", not immersive and realistic, and "one marine shouldn't be able to kill entire team even if he is aimbotting" lalalala etc. etc.

I think the speediest approach we have now in trying to get this fluid movement back is to short-cut the inexperience by tricking people with clips of good movement but bad aim.