great patch

123457»

Comments

• fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1954723:date=Jul 28 2012, 10:00 PM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Jul 28 2012, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because 10 rounds of public play proves everything..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Make that 20+ now. Still haven't seen a single round where no armor healing from the armories has caused any problems what so ever, neither tedium nor balance related.

<!--quoteo(post=1954722:date=Jul 28 2012, 09:57 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jul 28 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all the positive points point forward in this discussion, why not remove hive healing, and remove alien armor healing from crags, and see what alien players think about that? Surely if using welders to repair armor encourages team play for marines, it should be a good thing to do the same for aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not sure if serious, but:
    <!--quoteo(post=1953882:date=Jul 26 2012, 12:34 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jul 26 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the game is designed to make marines completely impotent without armor (it shouldn't be), then the natural response should be to make armor permanent. Instead, ns1 (and ns2) makes the sides asymmetric: with full armor, marines have a significant advantage, but with no armor, the marines are at a slight disadvantage (at least it SHOULD be a slight disadvantage). Then you give aliens free healing to promote them playing in a hit-and-run, gradual wearing down, playstyle, while forcing marines to pay for their healing to promote the opposite kind of playstyle. Giving marines free healing through armories destroys that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited July 2012
    since 9/10 comments are about armory and armor healing
    Why not just do the same for aliens excepting for <strike>alien</strike> gorge healing or hive? Regen shouldn't be able to heal armor, if an armory can't heal armor, surely?
    Then the game will be much slower paced as per ns1's good side, and balanced for both sides.

Also, fanatic, wut drugs you be on boyo?
    No armor healing from armories has made pushes on hives damn near impossible, especialy since people are inside the tech room, and they would want to kill aliens before they get their shins bitten off, instead of weld other people, wheras gorges dont have to worry when pushing on marine base, just heal spray away.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    some people have already made up their minds about things, they would have said the change is perfect without any testing whatsoever. It's like a democrat trying to argue with a republican, neither is gonna budge..

And I do agree with<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119592&hl=" target="_blank"> this thread</a>, there may be a time in the future where this change is appropriate but that time is not now. Maybe when/if they fix the big problems with balance this change will have a place (maybe- it's still an un-fun change imo) but at the moment you have 90%+ alien winrates in most every competitive/evenly matched game. They also failed to put in the basic infrastructure for this change that would have allowed for it's proper testing- it<i> needs</i> to have "weld me" emotes and welders probably needed to be base tech on the armory available without research at the start of the game akin to an IP.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    100% agree with Fana.

Hives impossible to push without armories.. spend ###### 5 res and get a welder. NOT HARD

So many people want the game spoonfed.. Guess what, a no armor marine got raped in NS1 too, just like NS2. Teams used welders back then..
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Requiring welders is fine, but you have to make them as easy to use as NS1 welders. Increase the range and width of the weld and the switch speed. Maybe even make them not replace your axe.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    Although I actually like the armour repair change, there's one argument in support of it that I'm really getting sick of hearing: "Marines are more powerful now because it encourages them to weld more."

If everyone were to wake up tomorrow believing that the moon is made of cheese, would it be so?

Perception and reality are not the same thing. Where do people keep getting that idea?

The fact that Mr Random didn't bother welding his teammates before does not mean he didn't have the choice.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954722:date=Jul 29 2012, 06:57 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jul 29 2012, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all the positive points point forward in this discussion, why not remove hive healing, and remove alien armor healing from crags, and see what alien players think about that? Surely if using welders to repair armor encourages team play for marines, it should be a good thing to do the same for aliens.

I suppose you would have to nerf alien regeneration as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly! This build is an incredible prototype for showing the benefits of such changes!

We should take it all the way and remove hp healing and ammo resupply from the armoury too and make them come from a resupply gun that you can also buy from the armoury. This will result in a better teamplay experience for pubs, reduce stalemates by 8999% (for the extra 2% we have to remove guns) and prevent players from 'going back to base' ever again!

Don't you just love the tension in those moments where your health and ammo is dwindling horde after horde of alien wave spawns, and that fade is coming towards you almost like in slowmo because you're among some of the best players in the world currently playing. And the medpack/ammopack drop from the sky like a boon from heaven. What a spectacular moment that was being underused!!

Don't you find it so incredibly orgasmic when you die from lack of resupply drops due to a bad commander, i personally love it when teamwork fails! Frustration? Tedious? God no, where would you get that concept from. Its so much better to constantly IP spawn instead of having to look at an armoury ever again. Afterall, theres no rfk so what does it matter if you die? We should be encouraging (read forcing) people to play aggressively and suicidally past their own level.

Oh resupply costs tres you say? Balance you say? Don't worry, those are just bad mechanics getting in the way of us enjoying true perfection. You see, the game should be designed around marines not needing health and ammo to win.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954784:date=Jul 29 2012, 04:23 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jul 29 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->some people have already made up their minds about things, they would have said the change is terrible without any testing whatsoever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good point!

<!--quoteo(post=1954772:date=Jul 29 2012, 02:30 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Jul 29 2012, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not just do the same for aliens excepting for <strike>alien</strike> gorge healing or hive? Regen shouldn't be able to heal armor, if an armory can't heal armor, surely?
    Then the game will be much slower paced as per ns1's good side, and balanced for both sides.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sometimes, it feels like I'm trying to describe colors to the blind.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1954722:date=Jul 28 2012, 10:57 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jul 28 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all the positive points point forward in this discussion, why not remove hive healing, and remove alien armor healing from crags, and see what alien players think about that? Surely if using welders to repair armor encourages team play for marines, it should be a good thing to do the same for aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, terrible comparison. Potentially every single marine on the field can restore armour. How many lifeforms could do that? Oh right, only the gorge.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1954833:date=Jul 29 2012, 04:44 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jul 29 2012, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, terrible comparison. Potentially every single marine on the field can restore armour. How many lifeforms could do that? Oh right, only the gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OH so every marine on the field can restore health too for free? -_-.. your comparison was just as bad, buddy.

A better homogenization would be if crags did not give out armor but only health.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954878:date=Jul 29 2012, 01:35 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 29 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OH so every marine on the field can restore health too for free? -_-.. your comparison was just as bad, buddy.

A better homogenization would be if crags did not give out armor but only health.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorges are not exactly free either.

A better comparison would be... imagine if the welder replaced your primary slot, then you'd be a gorge.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1954878:date=Jul 29 2012, 07:35 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 29 2012, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OH so every marine on the field can restore health too for free? -_-.. your comparison was just as bad, buddy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, that's why I explicitly wrote 'armour' and not health. So no, it wasn't bad, you just didn't understand my point.
    Removing healing from hives and armour healing form crags basically forces one or probably more players to play as Gorge for the entire game to compensate. The marines can play as whatever "class" (main weapon/JP/Exo) they want. Not to mention that hive health healing still exists on the marine side in the form of armories in main bases.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954885:date=Jul 29 2012, 11:07 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Jul 29 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges are not exactly free either.

A better comparison would be... imagine if the welder replaced your primary slot, then you'd be a gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The welder does replace your primary slot. Your primary slot is now welder, ha ha ha...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2012
    Marines are slow and stick together in groups, aliens are fast and spread out often until coordinating an attack.
    For this reason it wouldn't impact aliens too much, as they often run to their gorge or back to base easily.

Having forward placed crags, a structure, healing health and armor just seems like its on the wrong team, its<b> overkill.</b>
    Not to mention the slow healing that already occurs on infestation..
    BTW i dont think anything should be changed with hives. If you have to return to base you've lost enough time to warrant it.

But this topic is moot anyways, changes are already planned for testing tomorrow.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Can't understand how this stupid discussion stills goes on about armory not restoring armory. Just give it a break guys, DON'T demand balance yet, wait a littlebit longer.

UWE with their beta testers made a perfect solution. I really hated when marines spammed armory out in the battlefield and marines humping the armory while fighting. It feelt like an exploit.

Marines goes together in a group, thats what welder is for. The pure reason for a welder is to wield your teammate and structors. Two guys in front fighting skulks while one marine is welding the marines, and then they switch, etc etc. Point is, marines are slow and are working tight together. While aliens are fast and mobile that can come from many directions, by spreading out.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954772:date=Jul 28 2012, 09:30 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Jul 28 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->since 9/10 comments are about armory and armor healing
    Why not just do the same for aliens excepting for <strike>alien</strike> gorge healing or hive? Regen shouldn't be able to heal armor, if an armory can't heal armor, surely?
    Then the game will be much slower paced as per ns1's good side, and balanced for both sides.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even without regeneration, aliens heal their health and armor slowly until it reaches full capacity. So when I wrote alien healing, that's what I meant, not gorge healing. Of course with regeneration and/or crags you pretty much don't need gorges any more for healing.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Just thought I'd point out... For the longest time, armories didn't heal marines in NS1 at all. That was a mod that someone made that ended up getting official sanction and then incorporated into the game. The game worked fine before armories healed, and from the games I've seen since this patch has released I'm inclined to agree, the armory change has been a good one.

On the powernodes requiring welders... It definitely brings back a strategic reason to hit powernodes, but it is also very frustrating as a marine when I get to a room just as the power goes out (without a welder), kill the single skulk, and then just sit there unable to do anything. On the other hand, I'm also seeing power packs used for situations other than turtling, which is nice.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954942:date=Jul 29 2012, 01:50 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Jul 29 2012, 01:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the powernodes requiring welders... It definitely brings back a strategic reason to hit powernodes, but it is also very frustrating as a marine when I get to a room just as the power goes out (without a welder), kill the single skulk, and then just sit there unable to do anything. On the other hand, I'm also seeing power packs used for situations other than turtling, which is nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comms can drop welders cheap
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955442:date=Jul 31 2012, 05:53 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 31 2012, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comms can drop welders cheap<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not what people complaining about only welders and MACs healing armor say...
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954942:date=Jul 29 2012, 05:50 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Jul 29 2012, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the powernodes requiring welders... It definitely brings back a strategic reason to hit powernodes, but it is also very frustrating as a marine when I get to a room just as the power goes out (without a welder), kill the single skulk, and then just sit there unable to do anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I agree... this is a very unrewarding experience. Please fix!
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is fixed. The com can drop a welder. You probably should use a mic and ask him.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Been noticing a bug lately about placing structures after the power node has been destroyed, building the structure and then welding the power node... the new structure is not powered. It can't be recycled, nor can it be powered by a power node.

In short: always repair the power before building a new structure!
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955567:date=Aug 1 2012, 09:57 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 1 2012, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Been noticing a bug lately about placing structures after the power node has been destroyed, building the structure and then welding the power node... the new structure is not powered. It can't be recycled, nor can it be powered by a power node.

In short: always repair the power before building a new structure!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, seen that a couple times myself.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I've got to say I absolutely <b><u>LOVE</u></b> how power nodes need to be welded to fix now! Aliens really do have a strategic choice to make now when attacking a room. Power nodes go down faster than RTs, but they don't cause tres loss on the marine side. However, there's the added benefit of temporary darkness which makes ambushing much more fun. This tiny change not only adds strategic depth, it also enhances atmosphere and makes welders critical. Fantastic job UWE!!

I'm seeing a lot more combined arms action within marine squads now. E.g. you'll have a guy in the back on welder duty, fixing armor and power nodes, while a couple GLs pound the front and the LMG grunts form a shield. Positively cinematic!
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    edited August 2012
    Is it a bug that stuff don't power up again after broken node has been repaired? or did i miss something?
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1956099:date=Aug 2 2012, 12:31 PM:name=spacedaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spacedaniel @ Aug 2 2012, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it a bug that stuff don't power up again after broken node has been repaired? or did i miss something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bug