186 Today?

1235»

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878380:date=Oct 7 2011, 01:13 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Oct 7 2011, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->multithreading is not so easy to do (with lua). the whole lua code is not thread-safe, and as far as i know there is no semaphores. so, i guess the game logic (lua code) will always stay single threaded. some other parts are already split into seperate threads (fmod is utilizing multi threading a lot, i think also low level network stuff etc.). also rendering will stay single threaded i think, it's quite difficult to create a multithreaded rendering pipeline (i just know it from openGL, where it's impossible, or at least was impossible for a long time).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are some libraries\modules for Lua that, among other things, implement semaphores. There are a few good reasons to dab a little bit in multi-threading when you're using Lua, like Shared.GetWebpage used in the stats-system that would otherwise freeze the game-loop. However when you're looking into MT because a 3+ GHz core can't cope, you probably shouldn't even be using Lua to begin with. It would also kinda go against the design-mantra of NS2, which is supposed to be very easily moddable, while dealing with multiple threads really is an art that after years of experience can still be very difficult. On top of that, game-logic is not the most obvious candidate for cutting up into threads, as it is very integrally connected. What UWE will do, and has been doing as far as I'm aware, is profile everything, and look at the most serious time-sinks (that at the same time needn't be modified by the scripters) and move those into the engine (fetching entities in various ways is one such an example, tracing is another).

Spark does some multi-threading though (I'm thinking physics\sound\networking\file-IO), which is probably what the r_mt-command is mostly for.
  • Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878481:date=Oct 7 2011, 08:56 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Oct 7 2011, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Worth the wait imo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

after 9000 years in development...
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
    (see what i did there?)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    But you say to yourself, well, what could possibly be worth the wait? Good performance... few bugs... etc. That's what you're looking at. It's a matter of building from there
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878425:date=Oct 7 2011, 06:04 PM:name=Mr Moe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr Moe @ Oct 7 2011, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry 4 OT: But this IS damn expensive. I Pay 39€ for 50 mbit/s. (Location is Germany)

B2T: Hope today is Patchday, can't wait!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol i pay 40€ for an average of 35kbs
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Build 186 SHIPPED!
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    and finaly today is true
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1878482:date=Oct 7 2011, 11:56 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Oct 7 2011, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spark does some multi-threading though (I'm thinking physics\sound\networking\file-IO), which is probably what the r_mt-command is mostly for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is true, and there will be more in the future on the engine side. We don't have any plans to make the script code run in multiple threads.
  • CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
    This release was completely worth it IMO - it made the game playable for me. In fact, not only does it play quite well most of the time, but I got ~80-100% fps increase. Seriously, it's freaking awesome, I can't wait for future patches.
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    edited October 2011
    I think I just had the best game of NS2 yet with this build just now but the game has started to crash often now. Well at least I can submit some useful crash data. :)

EDIT: Crashing could be due the AMD Rage drivers too but who knows.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878901:date=Oct 9 2011, 05:05 PM:name=SpaZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaZ @ Oct 9 2011, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I just had the best game of NS2 yet with this build just now but the game has started to crash often now. Well at least I can submit some useful crash data. :)

EDIT: Crashing could be due the AMD Rage drivers too but who knows.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The AMD rage drivers only seem to effect my open GL games, so RAGE (which makes it better) and half-life/ns (which it crashes). They only made opengl updates to the rage drivers, I believe NS2 uses D3D Level 9.