Planetside.... Sequel?

ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
<a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring" target="_blank">http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...ing-This-Spring</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SOE President John Smedley said that the sequel to the MMO shooter Planetside will land in March 2011.

While getting the tour of the Sony Online Denver studio, I was able to snag John Smedley to chat for a few minutes on the state of the gaming industry. We talked about SOE's biggest competitor, Blizzard, and how other MMO companies react to what the WoW-maker does, as well as what can be learned from the demise of APB's Realtime Worlds. But when I asked him to confirm whether the titles that I'd been asked out to Denver to see, Magic The Gathering Tactics and DC Universe Online, were the only games in the pipeline for SOE, Smedley dropped a bomb. Not only is he heavily invested in social and casual games, but Smedley is super excited for Sony's return to the MMOFPS genre with the tentatively titled Planetside Next. Sony has hinted at a sequel with that working title before, but this is the first time that we've gotten wind of a release window.

"We have a very big launch coming in the month of March," Smedley said. "It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

I took a leap of logic and asked whether it was Planetside.

"Could be," Smedley said sheepishly. "We haven't technically announced it." He then told me that I could say that he "hinted" that the new Planetside was imminent, which translates to 99% of a confirmation. "This is the farthest I've gone [discussing it with the press] and the PR people are going to shoot me."

As for why it's called Planetside Next, it appears that Smedley might have learned something from his signature franchise. "We don't have the official name for it. Planetside Next is kind of the working title," Smedley said. "We've learned some lessons with Everquest II , not one of the better moves that we've ever made. We should have called it EverQuest Something. Having Everquest I and II sit on the shelves at the same time, in hindsight, was probably not the the brightest of moves."

That's because the two fantasy MMOs are separate products which both have their own servers and audience. That will be less of a problem with Planetside, due to the small number of people still playing the 7 year old game on its one remaining server. Does Smedley think that the update will bring in more players than the first one did? Well, it's safe to say that he is excited about it.

"[Planetside Next] is the coolest god-damned game," Smedley said. "I'm so in love with that game."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you dig it?

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    /me is chomping at the bit
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited December 2010
    "And in this padded enclosure, witness a man's Common Sense, Jaded Worldview and his Smedley Loathing battling that same man's Inner Fanboy! An unfair match, you say? Hardly! Though outnumbered three to one, the Inner Fanboy is giving quite an account of himself! Currently he is BEATING THE SMEDLEY LOATHING TO DEATH WITH ITS OWN SKULL! It doesn't seem physically possible, and yet! You should've seen them earlier, when Common Sense and Smedley Loathing were holding Inner Fanboy down while Jaded Worldview was brutally eviscerating him with a chainsaw! Yes, their regenerative abilities are astonishing, and no end to the fight seems in sight! I would also like to point out that we are still accepting bets.
    Now, in THIS padded enclosure..."
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814696:date=Dec 9 2010, 09:42 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 9 2010, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"And in this padded enclosure, witness a man's Common Sense, Jaded Worldview and his Smedley Loathing battling that same man's Inner Fanboy! An unfair match, you say? Hardly! Though outnumbered three to one, the Inner Fanboy is giving quite an account of himself! Currently he is BEATING THE SMEDLEY LOATHING TO DEATH WITH ITS OWN SKULL! It doesn't seem physically possible, and yet! You should've seen them earlier, when Common Sense and Smedley Loathing were holding Inner Fanboy down while Jaded Worldview was brutally eviscerating him with a chainsaw! Yes, their regenerative abilities are astonishing, and no end to the fight seems in sight! I would also like to point out that we are still accepting bets.
    Now, in THIS padded enclosure..."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What he said, but more coherent.
    You mean less fancy and entertaining.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    And lacking in the awesome department.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    One of the oddest sensations I (and others, from discussions I had) have ever had in a game was the feeling of being a veteran in Planetside.

It wasn't a game thing, like "look at those noobs lol", it felt more real. Not real as in you actually felt like you were a real soldier in a real war, but there was a palpable feeling of experience and knowledge in the more seasoned players, and the way they interacted. It was an awesome feeling to be part of.

The reason I mention this is because now all I can imagine is old Planetside players in Planetside 2 telling all the new players about "the last war" and such.

Also I bet they ###### it up.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Cautiously optimistic
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    In a world of perfect Blizzard balance and shininess, I do so very much long for a chaotic, unfair, and uncaring game. I mean really, the funnest times I ever had in the Diablo games were when I was dodging hacking town killers in Diablo 1, and the most content I was in Planetside was complaining about how broken the Lasher was against our pitiful TR arsenal while waiting for hours in sanctuary for a battle that fizzled as soon as we got there. I think it was all the downtime that contributed to the veteran factor, and also it was the downtime that made those awesome battles so much more awesome. I mean, you're just driving your tank to the next base, and out of no where a Reaver stars hounding you and in your haste to stay ahead, you fly off a cliff and land into the middle of a major infantry battle. It's just insanely pleasing.

So, really, I think the way SoE screws this game up is to actually get it right.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1814829:date=Dec 10 2010, 07:04 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 10 2010, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... complaining about how broken the Lasher was against our pitiful TR arsenal ....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pff, TR arsenal was the best. What did us NC have? The jackhammer? Worst weapon in the game. Vanguard sucked. And the phoenix? Worthless.
    <!--quoteo(post=1814861:date=Dec 10 2010, 04:44 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Dec 10 2010, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pff, TR arsenal was the best. What did us NC have? The jackhammer? Worst weapon in the game. Vanguard sucked. And the phoenix? Worthless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're crazy man! I played NC in the beta, and the phoenix was the most bestest anti armor ever. I suppose they might have killed it later, but I liked being able to guide the rocket. I was never able to decide between the Gauss and Cycler, either. But I have to say that TR had the coolest MAXs.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    If I say EJECT and you say what? you will be talking to yourself
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1814866:date=Dec 10 2010, 10:24 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 10 2010, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're crazy man! I played NC in the beta, and the phoenix was the most bestest anti armor ever. I suppose they might have killed it later, but I liked being able to guide the rocket. I was never able to decide between the Gauss and Cycler, either. But I have to say that TR had the coolest MAXs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Everybody complains about the Noobhammer, nevermind the "###### ass ###### ###### noskill Phoenix".
    <!--quoteo(post=1814892:date=Dec 11 2010, 01:04 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Dec 11 2010, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Everybody complains about the Noobhammer, nevermind the "###### ass ###### ###### noskill Phoenix".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We *did* have the worst AA max, though. The sparrow was more than useless.
    Fair enough. Until the anchoring got revamped the TR AA MAX sucked too, though. Only one that was really good was the VS one, which overcompensated by being total bull######.

Rob, you couldn't decide between the Cycler and the Gauss? That can ONLY have been the beta. When I played, the Gauss was so clearly the best assault rifle in the game it wasn't even funny.

And yeah, Stickman has been trolling me about how much the NC arsenal "sucked" for years. This is the first time he's actually outright ADMITTED it by including the Vanguard, though.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814911:date=Dec 11 2010, 02:22 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 11 2010, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fair enough. Until the anchoring got revamped the TR AA MAX sucked too, though. Only one that was really good was the VS one, which overcompensated by being total bull######.

Rob, you couldn't decide between the Cycler and the Gauss? That can ONLY have been the beta. When I played, the Gauss was so clearly the best assault rifle in the game it wasn't even funny.

And yeah, Stickman has been trolling me about how much the NC arsenal "sucked" for years. This is the first time he's actually outright ADMITTED it by including the Vanguard, though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I still honestly maintain that the jackhammer wasn't *so* much better than the regular shotgun. Most, if not all, of the higher level NC players I knew didn't take it so they could save the 3 (or whatever it was) cert points and use them on something else.
    It probably wasn't, but no-one uses the regular shotgun because it looks like a piece of ######.
    But really, everyone on a side complained about the cool stuff the other sides got. I'm sure being blown apart by the Phoenix without being able to do anything about it is no worse than being wtfpwned by the Starfire MAX while just strafing a base.
    My love for the Cycler was purely one sided. It just looked and felt cool, and I was willing to overlook the fact that it hated me and constantly led me to ruin...

That's really why I played TR anyway. The Prowler looked cool and had two (2!) main guns... That was enough for me to drive one by myself and try to ram Vanguards for the glory of the Republic.
    The prowler *and* the TR buggy looked adorable and cute in NC colours.
    The Prowler was terrible though. Low speed, horrendous acceleration, no torque, mediocre hitpoints, no secondary weaponry (unless you found someone who was willing to waste their time by manning the 15mm) and terribly short effective range. It was like a huge, slow guy armed only with a shotgun trying to beat snipers in an outdoor fight.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815183:date=Dec 11 2010, 05:55 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 11 2010, 05:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Prowler was terrible though. Low speed, horrendous acceleration, no torque, mediocre hitpoints, no secondary weaponry (unless you found someone who was willing to waste their time by manning the 15mm) and terribly short effective range. It was like a huge, slow guy armed only with a shotgun trying to beat snipers in an outdoor fight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it looked cool and had two (2!) main guns.
    It looked ANTIQUATED. The NC got modern cooltank and the VS got future spacetank. We got old-timey sucktank. >:|
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    We got the Pulsar aswell though, which was basically a flashlight with an aiming reticule.
    We had the worst pistol to use as a cloaker, but also probably the best pistol to use as a sidearm.

GO NC! Yay!

Seriously though, the individual NC weapons were generally somewhat better than their TR or VS versions, but the game was balanced by the fact that the NC was also full of idiots. We had way more idiots than the other two emps.
    >TR: Ye olde righteouse Republiceh
    >VS: Science!
    >NC: OMG REBELS FIGHT THE MAN
    Gee I wonder why?
    It's because we had the best uniform. Obviously.
    But we had ze goggles! <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>(Zey did nothink.)</span>
    Also, when you say the NC had the worst pistol to use as a cloaker, apparently you've entirely forgotten about the Beamer? The Beamer's SOLE use was humiliation kills. Because it was TERRIBLE. The NC pistol could actually kill something.
    I remember being shocked and amazed whenever I got killed by a pistol (3 times TR, twice NC). I always thought no-one even tried that because you were so much better off just reloading your rifle, or even pulling out your knife.
    NC pistol was a shotgun so it was decent to whip out when someone gets up close.

TR pistol was awesome as a cloaker in the caves, for some reason. Like a mini sniper rifle.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited December 2010
    I'm with Sticky - the NC weaponry was pretty overrated. The Jackhammer was 90% worthless, and the one time someone foolishly gets killed by it they instantly explode with rage. Seriously though, it's a shotgun - what's the point of a shotgun in games? To spray damage everywhere and seriously injure nothing? It's pretty universal that a shotgun to the face is instantly fatal.

The TR Repeater pistol was the best sidearm bar none. I kept a stash in my locker because I got infinitely more kills with them than I did the MagScatter pistol (which was like, zero - thus infinity). Also I do know at some point the Cycler was the best Assault Rifle too - but the game went through so damn many balance changes who knows when that changed.

The Phoenix was garbage. Yeah it was fun to hit snipers with, but it was utterly worthless at attacking vehicles. If you did manage to find AND HIT something with it, it could just casually drive away by the time your second missile was ready. It was pretty much totally impossible to shoot down aircraft with as well. The TR's missile launcher was nice if only because it could scare aircraft away due to the locking mechanism. The best though was the Lancer - no warning, no way to trace where it was coming from, and super-fast projectile perfect for sniping any kind of armor.

I do remember the TR Burster being great anti-air just because you couldn't really run from it like you could the other two. Though the NC Splattercannon MAX was hilarious.

And yeah, I guarantee you SOE will ###### it up. Unless Dave Georgeson is on board, there's no hope for that game at all. Expect consolitis.