Planetside.... Sequel?

Comments

• RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    I've been rolling an MMOFPS around in my head for awhile. Something to try and harness the power of spontaneous organization. Basically attack the problem like an actually military would if they had to assume soldiers would be entering and exiting the fight constantly, and also center it around specific tasks a player would want to do. For example, I wouldn't mind jumping into some kind of artillery cannon and shooting indirect fire for a couple hours... If the game could process requires for artillery from players up front and filter that back to me as a HUD icon for direction and distance, and then I had to calculate a quick shot to hit the target while considering wind or whatever, that would be pretty neat for me. I'd get points based on how close I came to the target, whether I used the correct round that was requested, etc. Maybe I'd share a kill points with the guy who called it in.

Another case would be a bomber crew flying around on station and they get a request for a bombing run. All the info comes up on their screen, and they go do it.

Then, sort of like your chat idea, you could "attach" yourself to someone you liked. Then, you'd see them on your hud at all times, and be informed of what they're doing. So, squads form bottom-up instead of top-down. You could probably promote players just based on how often they get followed.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Planetside, or as I liked to call it WTFREGside was one of the best online experiences I ever had. I used to play it with a group of 5 - 7 friends so got to experience the "buildup" to an invasion of an enemy held territory in its full glory thanks to having a squad full of friends who know what they were doing. We'd hear the call from the guys in charge, recall back to sanctuary, gather up some tanks, aircraft, drop carriers and holler on over to the target destination and initiate boot to face. I know that doesn't sound very exciting in text, but when you see 20 or so other full squads gearing up and preparing for the exact same thing as you, you really feel like you're part of something. So seeing the sky full of dropships and aircraft with infantry drop podding out to assault the enemy, mechs and tanks being deployed en mass, it becomes pretty darn epic.

One particular moment that stood out for me was when it was just me and one of my mates playing, we had a vanguard tank, him driving with me gunning and we partook in about 6 invasions and kept that tank through all of them. That was about 5 straight hours of combat (it was the holiday season, we had time!) By the end of our tour, the tank was absolutely covered, every inch of it, in bullet holes and blast marks. Epic.

We had some pretty epic fail moments too. I told my friend to stop sucking at driving the prowler and to let me do it. I hop in and immediately get us stuck between two trees. Oops.

So here's hoping this will be as great as before.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2010
    For anyone that is bored and does not have a planetside Subscription atm.

I still do and am going to be streaming games every night for the next few weeks.

<a href="http://www.justin.tv/tigersmith" target="_blank">www.justin.tv/tigersmith</a>

:)
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1817562:date=Dec 20 2010, 12:04 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 20 2010, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been rolling an MMOFPS around in my head for awhile. Something to try and harness the power of spontaneous organization. Basically attack the problem like an actually military would if they had to assume soldiers would be entering and exiting the fight constantly, and also center it around specific tasks a player would want to do. For example, I wouldn't mind jumping into some kind of artillery cannon and shooting indirect fire for a couple hours... If the game could process requires for artillery from players up front and filter that back to me as a HUD icon for direction and distance, and then I had to calculate a quick shot to hit the target while considering wind or whatever, that would be pretty neat for me. I'd get points based on how close I came to the target, whether I used the correct round that was requested, etc. Maybe I'd share a kill points with the guy who called it in.

Another case would be a bomber crew flying around on station and they get a request for a bombing run. All the info comes up on their screen, and they go do it.

Then, sort of like your chat idea, you could "attach" yourself to someone you liked. Then, you'd see them on your hud at all times, and be informed of what they're doing. So, squads form bottom-up instead of top-down. You could probably promote players just based on how often they get followed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    sounds kind of how the Battlefield games play, only MMO style.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    edited December 2010
    I still have flashbacks of MAX-crashing a backdoor with Blood Legion on Werner, Heltrooper yelling on Teamspeak "KILL THEM ALL"!!

Yeah. Bring on the sequel...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I still have flashbacks of HOLDING a backdoor with Blood Legion on Werner. In its heyday that outfit was heavily MAX-focused, and there was still enough of it left by the time I joined that we could muster some serious firepower. We'd have eight anchored MAXes covering the back door entrance, with five or six agiles or rexos healing, repairing, running ammo to them... We'd have people crouch-walk in front of the whole firing squad dropping ammo on the ground so the MAXes could just look down and pick it up - a perilous job because the Dual Cyclers and Pounders would sporadically let loose right over your head as yet another hapless NC tried to get through only to be cut down in an instant. We'd stop full assaults dead in their tracks, with our losses just hunching over, still anchored to the ground. And they'd remain anchored down even as we revived them and patched them up again, and then the next press of NC would run right into the hellfire again. It was glorious.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    As little as I played the game, I still love TR MAXes. Something about the lock down and just start saturating an area was highly enjoyable :P
    Anchoring was a good example of "really cool, but sort of not very useful." The TR MAXes still functioned well as vanilla MAX units, but being a good TR MAX user was more about knowing the many situations in which NOT to anchor than knowing the few situations where you should.

The animation and sound was really good though. *whuuurrrrrrr* *stomp* *stomp* *CRONK*
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1820190:date=Dec 29 2010, 11:58 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 29 2010, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The animation and sound was really good though. *whuuurrrrrrr* *stomp* *stomp* *CRONK*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Got it in 1.

That and the doubling of your fire speed.

I was never a good PS player tbh.
    It was great when you only had to fire in a 90 degree arc and weren't worried about avoiding return fire. In other words, fantastic for when you had to cover a single doorway where attackers couldn't flank you or pop out behind corners to fire Decimators or dumbfire Phoenixes at you, and where you had people crouching behind you with a repair gun already aimed at you. Less fantastic otherwise because you became a stationary target with huge blind angles.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Waiting on more news for this seems like murder to me, I miss how awesome this game use to be.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    What really gets me, as I still play the game since day one. Is how many people really enjoyed it. Not that many people know about the game. But if they did, THEY LOVED IT. I hope planetside stays true to its form in planetside next. :)
    I hope it doesn't. Not quite.

Keep in mind, there's a lot of cognitive bias involved here. There's the fact that we wasted/used money and time on the game, and want to justify that. There's the fact that we had good times and bad times in the game, and we tend to remember the good times better. There's the fact that it's been many years for most of us, and if you've ever talked to old people you know that we all tend to view the past through rose-tinted glasses.
    And keep in mind, too, that subscriber numbers don't lie. Planetside's all-time subscriber high was at launch, and the count has only declined since then. Nearly all of those of us who played Planetside played Planetside. Past tense. Don't play it anymore. And whether we remember it or not, there was a reason for why we quit.

So I hope they keep the fun bits, while fixing the things that drove the subscribers away. And I hope they know better than me what those things were.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Too much space *and* too much repetitiveness!

That was what drove me away.

"Oh look we're fighting for cyssor. Again."
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Planetside was best back before they tried so hard to focus fighting inside bases. The bases were all similar and fighting in them was incredibly retarded.

The best battles were the running battles in the forests, the bridge stalemates, open wildnerness tank combat, etc.

Not parking outside the gates shelling autoturrets.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Bridges were always good to weed out the "Leeroy Jenkinses" of your side lol.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It is agreed, then. Planetside Next needs MORE BRIDGES.
    Getting access to a Liberator bomber: 3 certification points.
    Getting a bombardier: One quick call over Teamspeak.
    Flying down the length of a bridge cackling like a maniac while the world explodes beneath you: Priceless.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love to play this game but I really hate pay to play stuff... I wish more MMO style games like this went the guild wars route and didn't charge so much freaking money.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    Other things I would have loved to see in Plantside:

-A sense of a frontline that moved more slowly. Some way to make it less repetitive so you weren't fighting for Cyssor every day. And really, we always seemed to fight over the same continents.

-The ability to walk around freely in a Gal during flight. It would have been soooo freaking sweet to just cram as many people into the bay as possible, shooting rifles out windows until the pilot opens the bay doors and we all fall out like an airliner purging human waste. Hehe. Pretentious CR5s could have a Gal all to themselves, walking around the bay broadcasting their battle plans and drinking small lattes with their pinkies out.

-Footballs and violins ala Starship Troopers for the downtime waiting to cap bases.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can't wait for the screams of laggers as they warp 5 feet to the left and fall to their death.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1820575:date=Jan 1 2011, 05:54 AM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Jan 1 2011, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to play this game but I really hate pay to play stuff... I wish more MMO style games like this went the guild wars route and didn't charge so much freaking money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to be in a similar boat.

Then I got a job.

$15 a month is nothing, nothing at all, when you have a job.

--Scythe--
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820562:date=Dec 31 2010, 06:33 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 31 2010, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Getting access to a Liberator bomber: 3 certification points.
    Flying down the length of a bridge cackling like a maniac while the world explodes beneath you: Priceless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Getting grieflocked four seconds into your run: even more priceless :P
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1820628:date=Jan 1 2011, 04:26 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 1 2011, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I used to be in a similar boat.

Then I got a job.

$15 a month is nothing, nothing at all, when you have a job.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only because, in Australia, you can simply go out and steal extra money when required. It's a nationally endorsed method of obtaining money.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1820735:date=Jan 2 2011, 02:48 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jan 2 2011, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820735"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only because, in Australia, you can simply go out and steal extra money when required. It's a nationally endorsed method of obtaining money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stickman is confus as to the nature of employment. To be expected, I suppose. One of these days we'll have to explain the concepts of "girl" an "not eating everything in sight," too.

--Scythe--
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820562:date=Dec 31 2010, 11:33 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 31 2010, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1820678:date=Dec 31 2010, 10:57 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Dec 31 2010, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Getting access to a Liberator bomber: 3 certification points.
    Flying down the length of a bridge cackling like a maniac while the world explodes beneath you: Priceless.

Getting grieflocked four seconds into your run: even more priceless :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Doing it so effectively that those killed on the bridge rage quit: Ultra Priceless.

<!--quoteo(post=1820805:date=Jan 1 2011, 06:15 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 1 2011, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stickman is confus as to the nature of employment. To be expected, I suppose. One of these days we'll have to explain the concepts of "girl" an "not eating everything in sight," too.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

G.I.R.L. = Guy In Real Life
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    Oh man, I remember when BMC did mass-liberator bombings one week. I was the bombadier as we hovered about 10 feet above the top of an NC tower. The pilot kept strafing from left to right, so all I had to do was click when someone poked their head out of one of the top floor doors. I got about 50 kills that way. It was glorious.

I really want PS2, or PS:Next or whatever to make use of the fact that its an MMO FPS. The original didn't really do anything that Battlefield hadn't done. I'd like to see some really big units with big crew requirements. Something like the Titans from BF2142 where you can actually run around inside, or a big land-battleship like the Baneblade "eleven-barrels-of-hell" super-heavy tank. That's pretty much what I thought the BFRs were going to be; most people on the forums had assumed they were going to take 4-5 people to crew before we found out they were going to be single-man deathmobiles.

Failing that, at least let me balance on the wing of a Galaxy in flight.
    Cant believe I missed some of these posts. I dont know what to agree with in any of these. Maybe I just have played more then most of you. Some of the balance in the game is completely broken. I say that and I also still play the game.

This is what I want in "Planetside Next".

Keep the core gameplay the same
    Updated Netcode and Graphics Engine
    More Outfit and Command Tools
    No BFRs
    More Massive then the Previous Game. (If in 2003 a FPS could support 300+ players in one area. Today just think of how many they could have)

NO microtransactions. (This is something I have stated on the Planetside Forums time after time. I really hate the Idea of this going to be Free 2 Play with microtransactions. I really am sick of all these Free 2 play games. And if the game I love goes into this payment model i am seriously going to puke)

Keep Auraxis (The back story was actually pretty good in the game if you even knew about it. )

MORE Marketing (Planetside had 0 marketing after release. Most of the marketing was player driven. I helped out with many of the player driven commercials which helped a crap load back in 2005. Here is one of the Trailers - <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/planetside-unparalleled/8255" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/pla...paralleled/8255</a> - This one is one of the most popular ones with about 200k views on Youtube.)

I am very weary about Planetside Next. We all know SOE needs to prove itself after all the screw ups they have done.

Yet again. If you are reading this Thread and you dont know what planetside is I stream every single time I play. Its funny how many people subscribed since I started this live stream. And I have up to 50 viewers at any time. Most of the people who come on my channel and into the chat does not even know what the game is! So Just watch :) <a href="http://www.justin.tv/tigersmith" target="_blank">http://www.justin.tv/tigersmith</a>
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Damn tiger! Thats a hell of a lot of hours put into that game lol
    No more BFRs? But then how else shall I get called "N00b"? :P